7-9: "Helter Skelter" 2012.11.25

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

98 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

Dexter gains an advantage thanks to an internal struggle within the Koshka brotherhood; Miami Metro is on the hunt for an arsonist.

ECAmber

ECAmber

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Suddenly this show is less interesting to watch. Fuck.

Quinn showed some balls. By the end of the season they will be cut off.

Issac is gone. Dammit.

The next best thing is watching Maria piece this together. Which is now the best thing about this show.

Looks like both Deb and Hannah are moving in different directions from Dex.

I'm gonna miss Issac.

LIamsmom617

LIamsmom617

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

WTF was up with the third-rate daytime- soap dialogue there at the end? Gag.

Bookface

Bookface

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

Are they seriously introducing a new serial killer with three episodes left in the season? Why?

ProfConfusion

ProfConfusion

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

Not happy that Isaac is gone so soon. Dexter could have learned so much from him.

What was up with that look that Hannah gave Dexter after his .... profession of love?

Trying to figure out what takes 3 episodes to finish ... I guess the Laguerta investigation takes center stage. This creepy little arson guy subplot came out of nowhere, are we supposed to care? Ditto for Quinn.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Are they seriously introducing a new serial killer with three episodes left in the season? Why?

The show needs a reason to kill or have Hannah disappear. Right now they are all kissy kissy lovey lovey but the show needs a reason to pull them apart. My guess this new serial killer will be that threat.

Still don't care about Quinn although I did like that he punched that dude.

Really enjoyed the Isaac conversations...all of them. Sorry to see the guy go but tit was a good sendoff.

Not sure how I feel about the Laguerta plot. Not sure where it is heading. Aren't we supposed to be getting another season so either she will connect the dots to Dexter or something else will happen to stop her.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

I will miss Isaak. He's been by far the most interesting season-arc character the show has had yet. Terrific actor.

A few small things bothered me this episode, like Dexter's kill at the gun-range. Wouldn't they be able to piece together pretty quickly who else was at the range (I'm sure you don't just walk in with a gun and they say "have at it"), and narrow down the list of suspects very quickly for that? Also it just seemed like both him and Isaak were being so damn careless. Fingerprints and blood all over that boat, and Isaak bleeding all over Dex's boat. Also, we got a typical bumbling henchman storyline. I groaned when...Jerg??, agreed to go out and pick tomatoes. She's obviously trying to play you, champ. Maybe you better keep an extra eye on her. I was starting to warm up to his character as well.

Quinn's storyline still does nothing for me, and I guess he's the lone connection to the Ukrainian storyline now that Isaak is gone. I'm puzzled why it seems like we're introducing another serial killer with just 3 episodes left in the season. Was it the writers saying "Gee, I don't really think we can drag out this Ukraine storyline another 3 episodes, we better add something else"?

I hope the last 3 episodes focuses more on Laguerta's personal mission rather than more Hannah drama, as I'm starting to tire of her character. You're always Sarah Walker to me.

ECAmber

ECAmber

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

It feels like they couldn't hold Stevens for a whole season, so his arc got condensed (and we got shafted because those were two well crafted characters in excellent circumstances that make great, compelling tv).

I think I just realized what it is about Hannah that is making it hard to get into her character - I have no idea how she really feels about Dex. Ok, aside of horny, clearly she seems to be enthusiastic in that respect... but love? wariness? teasing her prey? joyfully hesitant at dreams of a sociopathic family make come true? Not a clue.

So, now that I had a little bit of time to digest that... the arsonist. Did they realize that was really anvilicious to have the flop sweat arson investigator just buzzy around like that? I was half expecting Dex to say something in that closed elevator just to rattle his cage it was so obvious. That being said, he is a twisted fuck, which I enjoy watching... I suspect he is next seasons Louis... something will happen because of him that will create the cliffhanger for next season.

I'm also pretty tickled to see the old Captain, mean racist son of a bitch. He is cut from the same cloth as LaGuerta and I like that she has that to contend with again.

Angel's restaurant didn't pass the health inspector?? This is what he has come to? Wasn't there a time he did things and had things done to him?

Only three left... it's like watching vortices in a storm. Just having so much more fun this season than last!

Gironbachs

Gironbachs

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

Yeah, because completely unattended firing ranges where no one observes anyone at all are all the rage in Miami.

Jayxter

Jayxter

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

Soooo.... we're pretty much at the point of no return with Dexter being exposed to the world right? I mean, Laguerta suspects Dexter and she tells Matthews next episode as shown in the previews. Unless they both have a piano dropped on them, he's fucked. Speaking of which, why was she speaking with Matthews in the first place? Did she really suspect him of being the BHB? I thought she was suspicious of Dexter in the last episode (she was investigating his boat)

A few small things bothered me this episode, like Dexter's kill at the gun-range. Wouldn't they be able to piece together pretty quickly who else was at the range (I'm sure you don't just walk in with a gun and they say "have at it"), and narrow down the list of suspects very quickly for that?

This puts the airport killing in the premiere to shame. I've been to gun ranges before and they're secured up the ass for obvious reasons. Security cameras, having to show ID at the door, having to show registration, Metal detectors..not to mention killing him in public with a dozen or so people milling around was incredibly dangerous.

That look at the end gave me the impression that Hannah's having second thoughts...contrary to what Dexter's thinking she's not like him. She kills as a means to an end and she finds it exciting, but shes not addicted to it like he is. If anything, she's like Lilah (ew). She kills when she needs to, not when she "needs" to.

Honestly, out of all of the love interests, I still prefer Lumen. She was far and away the most sympathetic and actually appealed to both Dexter's human and dark side.

RIP Issac. Something tells me this season's about to go downhill.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

Honestly, out of all of the love interests, I still prefer Lumen. She was far and away the most sympathetic and actually appealed to both Dexter's human and dark side.

I also don't recall them spending an episode and a half hammering me about the head on how Dexter and Lumen had "such great chemistry". They killed off the wrong sociopath tonight. Damn it, I'll miss you, Isaak.

Maybe if Hannah was played by Katee Sackhoff or something... but Yvonne Strahovski does nothing for me. And I say this as someone who watched a good bit of Chuck. I just don't care about Hannah at all, and I haven't for a few episodes. But Isaak was a much better constructed character IMO, and it's a shame to be losing Ray Stevenson so soon.

Edited by Mars477, Nov 25, 2012 @ 11:43 PM.

thistlehead

thistlehead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

I found this episode draggy. Very sorry to see Ray Stevenson go, he really made this season for me. I was hoping against hope that Hannah would be dead. While I think Jennifer Carpenter is doing a good job of coming undone, I really don't give a rat's about Deb, and before last season, she was a favorite. I'll hang in for the rest of the season, maybe not next though.

As to those questioning the gun range, it has been a while since I lived in FL, but where I used to shoot you could just walk in, pay your $8 and sign a name on the clipboard. They never checked ID or looked at what name you signed.

henriPootel

henriPootel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:03 AM

The show needs a reason to kill or have Hannah disappear. Right now they are all kissy kissy lovey lovey but the show needs a reason to pull them apart. My guess this new serial killer will be that threat.

Two things seem pretty obvious to me, which I'll mask just to be on the safe side.

Spoiler

Well three things, if you include:

Something tells me this season's about to go downhill.

Amen, Jayxter.

myriadphalanx

myriadphalanx

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:32 AM

To quote Homer Simpson, "well, things really wrapped up nicely for everyone! *checks watch* Hmm, and earlier than usual, too."

This episode was the sword swinging through the season's Gordian Knot of plotlines, leaving us with relatively little else for the remaining three episodes. The Hannah arc still has to be resolved, and LaGuerta's investigation, and this nonsense with George and Quinn, but I dunno, it seems awfully thinner now that Issac has been removed from the equation. And frankly, that ending was hardly satisfactory --- I was looking forward to an epic Dex/Issac showdown, not seeing Issac just plugged in the stomach by a fourth-rate hood like George.

The arsonist is going to rival the Skinner in S3 for "anti-climactic villain rushed into the last few episodes."

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

Booooooo that Isaac is dead and Hannah is alive. DOUBLE LOUD BOOOOOO that Ray Stevenson is gone. I am really going to miss him :(.

If Dexter gets redemption and love with Hannah...well fuck that LOL.

I'm not too sure I'm going to be happy with the 3 remaining episodes. We shall see.

DanDanNoodles

DanDanNoodles

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

When Deb checked Hannah's pulse and said, "Shit!" it didn't occur to me at first that she was pissed off because Hannah was still alive. That part was awesome.

The rest of this episode? Not so much. Those two feared killers certainly didn't put up much of a struggle. I mean, sure, the element of surprise, yada yada yada. I can't buy that you become a feared assassin by being that careless, ever. When Jurg started coughing, I thought Hannah had found some clever way to poison him, and then Deb's going to arrive, find her chained up there with yet another poisoned man at her feet, and think, "The goddamn toy-shit-making Christmas elves came fuck-all early this year!" But instead it's just spicy food? Sheesh. Resourceful gal, but again, how do you become the right-hand man to a high-ranking Ukrainian mafioso by being so easily duped?

"The bullet is still in there, we both know I'm a dead man"? What the hell is that? Isaac survives long enough to get from "the docks", wherever that is, to Dexter's marina, and then a couple of hours out on the boat, and remained lucid and eloquent throughout, but taking him to the hospital was pointless? Double sheesh. Such a great adversary deserved better than that. Have the whole speech and death on the first boat, have him make Dexter promise to dump him wherever Viktor is, and then have LaGuerta at the marina, spying, when Dexter shows up with Isaac's body. Come on, writers, how hard was that?

At least Deb recovered a bit of her dignity this week. That was nice to see.

hincandenza

hincandenza

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

There were at least two gigantic plot holes in this episode:

1) When Isaak was shot, Dexter's first concern should have been Hannah. Presumably, Isaak not checking in would mean "Yurg" would kill Hannah (on the premise that Dexter may have killed him- that was the leverage after all). Yet apparently over several hours while he was giving Isaak a sea burial, Dexter did not even think to make sure Hannah was still alive and unharmed.

2) Isaak immediately assumed he was a goner because "the bullet is still inside me"... which is a silly assumption to make. However, apparently he wasn't so injured that he couldn't (based on the difference between the daylight on the cargo ship and the night time on Dexter's boat) apparently survive several hours, fully conscious, with no medical attention. I have to think that if he had just delivered Isaak to the hospital, he'd have been fine. There's no medical rule that the bullet not exiting is somehow a guaranteed death sentence.

Edited to note: I see DanDanNoodles made the same point while I was typing

As for the last three episodes, I'm somewhat hopeful. I think a lot of us are expecting something like this season ends with a cliff hanger of Dexter being truly "discovered"- by La Guerta and/or others- and thus set up a season 8 of either on-the-run or Dexter on trial, or whatever, to wrap up the series. So I get them wrapping things (mostly) up.

Edited by hincandenza, Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:17 AM.

Tandemonium

Tandemonium

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:35 AM

Man! I wanted to see more of Isaac and Dexter's team-ups/budding sortof friendship. That was his real best friend, not Jimmy Smits nor Mos Def.

Gironbachs

Gironbachs

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

Really disappointed about the "FireBug" killer being introduced. Dexter's adversaries are beginning to resemble a rogue's gallery of villains slightly less cartoonish than the "Legion of Doom" on the old Superfriends Saturday Morning romp.

CrashTextDummie

CrashTextDummie

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

This episode was a downer. I wasn't ready for Isaak to be killed and him getting shot by George was the epitome of lame. At least we got an episode that was chock full of Ray Stevenson, but it just went to show that there was so much potential in the character and his relationship with Dexter still left.

For a moment there, they made me think they'd be getting rid of both their major guest stars in one fell swoop which would have certainly been interesting. Good fake-out. Shame the wrong one kicked the bucket (much as I adore YS).

Laguerta's investigation wasn't as compelling to me as it was in previous episodes, mostly because it strongly looks like she's going to have to make a leap that should have been made back when the BHB investigation was in full swing. Also because it's less a game of cat and mouse between her and Dex and more of the latter being a sitting duck. For all the "I'll take care of it"'s that he's said to Deb, he's done preciously little to stop her. For all we know, he doesn't even keep tabs on her progress. They are fully setting him up to crash and burn with this, and seeing as this is not the final season, I have a bad feeling that they're gonna do something dumb to bail him out.

Not sure where they're going with Skinner II, but I'll go with it for now.

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

I would have gladly sacrificed Dexter/Hannah, which is simply a repeat of the Lila/Lumen storylines we've had on the show previously, in order to keep Isaak around until at least the end of the season. It's a shame, he turned out to be a very interesting character and his scenes with Dexter were great. Will definitely miss him.

I hope that ambiguous look over Dexter's shoulder means that he is about to see her true colours because I'm so tired of this 'romance'. I think Dexter will never find a companion who could give him as much as Rita did. It's true that she would never have accepted him for who he was, but at the same time, she stabilised him. I feel that's what's been missing from this show - that feeling of Dexter going back home and finding Rita's goodness balancing out the dark and 'ugly' side of him. There just isn't that balance in the show nor in the character any more.

Deb just continues to be the best part of this show. I am rooting so hard for her to get over those feelings for her brother and carve out a happy life for herself, because she deserves it.

Maybe if Hannah was played by Katee Sackhoff or something... but Yvonne Strahovski does nothing for me.

I feel the opposite way. The only good thing about Hannah to me is Yvonne's performance. I actually cannot stand Katee Sackhoff as an actress; I don't think she's a bad actress but there's something about her style that's off putting for me. Jennifer Carpenter as a foul-mouthed tomboy completely knocks Katee's equally 'tough' Starbuck out of the park for me, personally.

If LaGuerta has been dealing with lines such as 'I'll send you straight back to Cuba' all her career from guys like the Captain, perhaps it's a bit easier to understand why she can be so godawful and conniving.

BonnieD

BonnieD

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

Question: When Dex and Hannah were vid chatting, he sent her a text message. I never saw the message come through to her nor did she mention it at the hospital when they were together. Did I just miss something? Did they ever make any reference to the content of the text?

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

Question: When Dex and Hannah were vid chatting, he sent her a text message. I never saw the message come through to her nor did she mention it at the hospital when they were together. Did I just miss something? Did they ever make any reference to the content of the text?

I noticed that as well; but, since they didn't touch on the content of the texts, I'm going to assume that it was misleading product placement. It felt like a forced demonstration of the video-texting app and it was quite evident that they were using iPhones on both ends.

Edited by Submarine, Nov 26, 2012 @ 9:57 AM.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

What was up with that look that Hannah gave Dexter after his .... profession of love?

I wondered about that, too. It looked like an "Aw, crap" expression.

Cuprum

Cuprum

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

In a way, i think Isaac wanted to die, even though he could have made it.

Maybe he was just bullshitting, because the line "the bullets is still in me" is bullshit. But in movies its common to portray bullets as something that has to be removed ASAP to survive.
In reality, you don't remove a bullet until you know where it is and how advantageous it is to remove it. A bullet is sterile and usually, once it lodges, it just stays there. Removing it willy nilly like its often done in movies in makeshift surgeries can be more dangerous than leaving it in. Bullets sometimes lie close to major vessels or nerves, and hasty removals could caus hemorrage, nerve damage or infection. There are many gunshot victims who live their entire lives with the bullet still inside them, where removing it would be more dangerous than leaving it.

James Garfield could have lived if his doctors weren't so obsessed in removing the bullet at all costs.

lynnea6

lynnea6

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

I was also scratching my head at Isaak's conclusion that he was going to die because the bullet was in his body. I fanwanked that he decided at some point that he didn't want to live without his tru wuv but wanted to go out on his own terms.

So if LaGuerta finds blood in Dexter's boat, it will actually be from someone he didn't kill?

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

"The bullet is still in there, we both know I'm a dead man"? What the hell is that? Isaac survives long enough to get from "the docks", wherever that is, to Dexter's marina, and then a couple of hours out on the boat, and remained lucid and eloquent throughout, but taking him to the hospital was pointless?

That was hilarious, especially given a similar storyline on a show on at the same time where a guy had a bullet removed in a barn with only a bottle of whisky and a med student for help.

Such a shame to lose Isaak and keep Hannah. They've been insisting on this great chemistry between her and Dexter and no, I don't see it at all. The best thing she did was look over his shoulder at the end in a way that could signal doom. I hope. I totally knew she was alive when Deb was angry after checking her pulse. I'm right there with you, Deb. Her spunky fight with her bodyguard didn't do much to endear her, since it just made the guy look incredibly stupid. Dexter seemed to click with Isaak a hell of a lot more than he does with Hannah.

I though the "text" Dexter was sending Hannah was actually him sending the picture to himself so he could check it for clues about where Hannah was.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

RE: text message. I am in agreement with Sister Magpie that I took that as him sending the picture to his personal phone so he could study it and try to track down Hannah.

One other scene that bugged me this episode was the scene where Dexter was reminiscing about Rita. It seemed that it showed her as such an obstacle in his life and not really important. It was all like "Yeah, I'm over that thankfully." And given that there was no time jump from season 4-5, or from 6-7, how long has it been since Rita died? How much of a time jump between 5 and 6?

That whole scene just bugged me. Anyone else get a bad vibe from that scene? I always thought Rita was much more important to Dexter, and I agree that without her around, and without Harrison to keep Dex in somewhat of a family mode, the show is not as good.

Still though, overall this season has been a thousand times better than last year's shitfest, and I hope it can resolve itself in a satisfying way to set up next year's (hopeful) final season. My money is still on Hannah being Deb's first kill, but who knows.

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

Rip Isaac. Wish I could say the same about Hannah.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

• Interests:Twisted shows (obviously!), bulldogs, mergers & acquisitions, private equity, expensive shoes, sports of all kinds but mostly fantasy football, UGA football, and college bball, rooting for Boston sports while exploring the super fun single life of NYC and people assuming you are a jerk because you like Boston :)

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

Rip Isaac. Wish I could say the same about Hannah.

Church, yo. I'm really looking forward to Hannah biting it, regardless of who kills her, just because she is such an annoying and bad actress.

How much of a time jump between 5 and 6?

Well at the end of S5 Harrison is celebrating his 1st bday party, and at the beginning of S6 they are enrolling him in preschool, so it seems to me like approx 18 months or so? But I don't agree that it bugged me to hear Dexter mention Rita like that, I think that is sadly the truth-- he "loved" her as much as he could at that point, but I don't think that is or was that much. I think he always "loved" Astor and Cody more than he loved her, if that makes sense. In a weird way maybe her death and his raising Harrison alone, ahem I mean with the 24-7 help of nannies and Deb, plus his whole Lumen experience, have enabled him to tap into whatever it is he feels for Hannah?

Otherwise... trying to think of something nice to say... but lots I don't get. Why introduce another serial killer and make it totally obvious who it is? So that he can threaten to burn Harrison/Hannah/Deb? Really, show? That is bush league. LaGuerta- seriously, it's only just now/in the "next week" stuff that she recalls that Doakes hated Dexter? And also, Captain Matthews, we knew you were a scumbag when you had the call girl's death disappeared last season, we know you're even more of a douche now with your horrible comment about a boat back to Cuba, but didn't you make a promise to a dying Harry that you would take care of Dexter and Deb? If so you shouldn't sell them out so easily (although truthfully, LaGuerta doesn't really need him at this point anyway) so please surprise us.

On the positive side it was nice to see Astor, Cody and Harrison, it was funny to see Deb smoke with Astor (sorry but I really don't think it's a big deal for either, considering, and I loved Astor's timely comment about it being legal in many states), it was nice to see Dexter struggle with what Deb had told him and try to help her understand that she isn't really as fucked up as she thinks she is. Not sure he's right, but that was nice.

On the negative side, everything Jayxter said. I felt like I was watching a bad Lifetime movie or something towards the end. I get that Isaak wanted to be with Viktor so much he wasn't willing to go to the hospital for his wound, and it was nice of Dexter to give him that wish I guess, but otherwise...

I don't understand how this show has given me exactly what I thought I wanted-- Deb knowing and others starting to find out the truth/Dexter being closed in on-- and yet frustrate and disappoint me so much at the same time.

Edited by LevitateMe, Nov 26, 2012 @ 12:00 PM.