Wedding Band

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

146 replies to this topic

neciamorris

neciamorris

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

From Wikipedia:

Wedding Band is an American comedy drama series starring Brian Austin Green, Harold Perrineau, Peter Cambor and Derek Miller, which premiered on TBS on November 10, 2012, at 10 pm EST.[1] It was created by Darin Moiselle and Josh Lobis. The series follows four friends who, despite their ups and downs, spend their spare time performing in a wedding band.

I just discovered this show accidentally and really enjoy it. However, it doesn't bode well that I had to create a topic after two episodes--I searched high and low and couldn't find a topic. Even though its 60 minutes, it is definitely a sitcom. TBS is doing a horrible job promoting this show as I have yet to see one promo not on TBS and it has a terrible timeslot: 9/10 ET on Saturday night.

The music is good, the four leads are charming and I think its very funny. I'm in for the next 8 episodes as I keep re-watching the first two. Every time Brian Austin Green gets a new role, I'm always reminded of how much I enjoy him.

Edited by neciamorris, Nov 22, 2012 @ 10:12 PM.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 3:15 AM

I'm enjoying this show too, and was surprised and chagrined that no one else seemed to be watching. I'm a sucker for musical shows until they let me down spectacularly, a la Glee.

It's an easy laugh and a show that one shouldn't really expect a lot from other than fairly low-brow entertainment. And I like the band's sound; the thing I've been the most curious about is if it's actually the actors singing.

I just don't like that TBS stuck it on Saturday night, which has to be a death slot even for cable. Even when I saw BAG promoting it on Conan, he didn't seem too stoked with the show either. I know it's not Homeland or anything, but come on! It's still fun.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

I really like this show! I was thinking of starting a topic after the first episode but thought I might be discussing the show with myself. We stumbled on it by accident the night it premiered and really enjoyed it. Was the show promoted at all??

I've always been a fan of Brian Austin Green, and Harold Perrineau is a huge bonus. Loved the thinly-veiled Lost references last week. Melora Hardin cracks me up. I didn't watch The Office, so this is really my first exposure to her doing comedy. Amused that the band name is Mother of the Bride, even though they haven't mentioned that at all.

I'm confused as to why TBS would schedule this on Saturday nights. Also, I want to see them doing more weddings before they branch out to Comic-Con, etc. It just seemed like a cheap way to shoehorn Megan Fox into an episode.

I feel certain BAG is doing his own singing, he did that on 90210, too. In fact, I thought he might be one of the series creators or producers.

neciamorris

neciamorris

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I just don't like that TBS stuck it on Saturday night, which has to be a death slot even for cable. Even when I saw BAG promoting it on Conan, he didn't seem too stoked with the show either. I know it's not Homeland or anything, but come on! It's still fun.

I wonder if his attitude was about the crappy timeslot.

Also, I want to see them doing more weddings before they branch out to Comic-Con, etc. It just seemed like a cheap way to shoehorn Megan Fox into an episode.

I agree it was an easy way to include Megan Fox, but it was still a wedding--it was just a SciFi wedding at Comic-Con.

I feel certain BAG is doing his own singing, he did that on 90210, too.

Agreed. I wonder if they all play their own instruments or if they're capable of playing to that level.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

I watched the pilot, so thanks for creating the topic, I was definitely looking for one.

Brian Austin Green looks weird. Like, I can see that he's handsome, but the whole eyebrow area is weird. I think they even commented on his type of handsomeness in the pilot, how there's a very sleazy quality to it. Considering he's with Megan Fox and she's a big plastic surgery buff maybe it's Botox?

I don't think I could stick with this show. It's very "guy humour" but not in the way that I like. It's kind of like Entourage that way. Guys trying to hook up with chicks.

Edited by Bunny LaJoya, Nov 23, 2012 @ 11:47 AM.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

it was still a wedding--it was just a SciFi wedding at Comic-Con.

I actually forgot about that (the band certainly is versatile!) but I was thinking more about the episode's focus on of a nerd party chosen over a corporate party.

neciamorris

neciamorris

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

but I was thinking more about the episode's focus on of a nerd party chosen over a corporate party.

Got it. I actually loved the teen party. Watching the guys channel their inner John Hughes to make the party a success for the Wes and Doug. Also, the music was great. BAG singing "I Love College" is easily a my favorite TV cover of the year. Glee's suckage is overwhelming the musical performances.

It's very "guy humour" but not in the way that I like. It's kind of like Entourage that way. Guys trying to hook up with chicks.

I disagree. I think it's very rom-comesque but from the guy's perspective. More like Crazy, Stupid, Love, IMHO. They have realistic aspirations for the band beyond bagging babes and they have a strangely wonderful work ethic that means no one has a bad time at one of their shows.

I think they even commented on his type of handsomeness in the pilot, how there's a very sleazy quality to it. Considering he's with Megan Fox and she's a big plastic surgery buff maybe it's Botox?

I think it's the guyliner. IMHO he's trying for the old Seattle grunge musician look. I think he looks good when you can't see the rings and the tats are covered. His forehead moves so it's not Botox. He just needs a bath and remove the black nail polish and the guyliner.

[Geek]Question: What was the groom's fandom? I know the bride is a Middle Earth Elf (Elrond was her father) but when the groom shouted "By the power of Greyskull" I was completely thrown. I didn't see anyone on the groom's side that looked like they were from any iteration of the Masters of the Universe.[/Geek]

Edited by neciamorris, Nov 23, 2012 @ 2:01 PM.

jumper sage

jumper sage

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

I love this show too! I just need to remember to DVR it. Very refreshing, great show for those of us who love the 80s cover band thing.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

[Geek]Question: What was the groom's fandom? I know the bride is a Middle Earth Elf (Elrond was her father) but when the groom shouted "By the power of Greyskull" I was completely thrown. I didn't see anyone on the groom's side that looked like they were from any iteration of the Masters of the Universe.[/Geek]

They were all dressed as some kind of fantasy fandom as far as I could tell. The only ones who were dressed up as something else were Mother of the Bride. I just thought they were going for very generic pop culture geek and throwing out any fantasy cliche.

But if they were actually supposed to be LOTR fans vs. some other fandom that isn't LOTR even though it looks exactly alike, I'm going to guess...Game of Thrones?

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

I watched On Demand, because of the good reviews here. I'm in! How often do you get a show where you like the leads right from the jump? They're all so charming. Aside from Brian Austin Green, I don't know any of the actors. They remind me of Paul Rudd, Chris Rock and Jack Black.

Lots of funny lines, and a bit of sweetness, but not sappy. I really liked it!

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

Yes, i'm liking it too. Though from the first episode on, i've had the strangest feeling that the show would work better in a shorter format (just like Entourage). In fact, the episodes seem already constructed that way, with the first half of the ep dealing with wedding A, and the second half with wedding B. Wouldn't be too much effort to split the episodes in too, and keep the continuity and storyline threads from one week to the next, when needed.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I love BAG and find him quite charming in this even though he's supposed to be the horndog, heh.

One thing I don't get is the one dude's relationship with his wife Ingrid. Something is off there; she plays it like she hates him.

I watch Friends and Big Bang Theory reruns on TBS and see a lot of promos for this show.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Loving this show! I suppose the A plot was Tommy babysitting, and the B plot was Tommy being the "Guy-ser" to help Beth(not sure of her name?) But then there's the drummer and the bass player bonding and playing a glockenspiel/cello duet, and the girls day/pole dancing class thrown in for fun. So much more than the usual formula for sitcoms.

Things I loved:

When Tommy was going over the babysitting rules he says "Don't get her wet, don't feed her after midnight."

Little Janie seeing Tina and telling Tommy "Daddy says she's a MILK."

The pole dancing instructor telling Beth(?) to "spin" and she sputters "I went to college!"

The aforementioned glockenspiel/cello duet of West End Girls. Excellent!

Tommy understanding the need for wipes.

Loved loved loved the band playing "Don't You Forget About Me" at the graveside. I lost a friend in May, I wish that could have been done for him. It made me smile, then made me cry.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 2:23 AM

I continue to love this show's choice of covers. That rendition of "West End Girls" blew my mind.

There's probably no truth to it, but the world would be a better place if that "7th consecutive sneeze = orgasm" thing was true.

"Christmas is dead!"

jumper sage

jumper sage

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 2:30 AM

to help Beth(not sure of her name?)

Rachel, her name was Rachel. When Tommy had to show her fiance his phone it had:
Rachel
Rachel
Rachel
Rachel
Rachel
and then it rang and it said Rachel.

I hope they have a CD of the music out at the end of the season. OMG! [sings] You and me baby ain't nothin but mammals, let's do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel.......

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

This show is so awesome! I saw the thread yesterday, and have seen all three episodes between last night and this morning, and it is so funny and charming and the music is great. Idon't see it so much as "guy humor" as someone upthread mentioned, but as people who have been together a long time and know each other really well, with that hint of rock and roll lifestyle thrown in. Very funny indeed.

I have seen Rachel listed as Tommy's love interest, but I really don't see it, especially after last night's episode, and I like that they are not going there with them.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

to help Beth(not sure of her name?)

Rachel, her name was Rachel. When Tommy had to show her fiance his phone it had:
Rachel
Rachel
Rachel
Rachel
Rachel
and then it rang and it said Rachel.

So you're saying I'm wrong? ;) Not sure how I got so mixed up. Well, it may have been the beer...

I have seen Rachel listed as Tommy's love interest, but I really don't see it, especially after last night's episode, and I like that they are not going there with them.

I'd rather see Tommy stay a horndog, too.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

I am also ridiculously entertained by the idea that Steve is African-Canadian, which we know only through the introductory subtitles.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

Surprisingly solid show

Actually loved both versions of the songs they did as well, don't forget about me and the 'discovery channel' song

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

I agree that it's BAG's makeup that makes him look a little weird. I like the character of Tommy -- like Joey on Friends, he's a nice guy who hooks up a lot. I enjoyed seeing him giving in to the wipes.

Eddie needs to stop lying to Ingrid - that's a weird plot device. She seems pretty cool...except when he lies (which is often).

Loving Harold Perrineau's singing voice -- something we didn't get to see on Lost! The drummer, too, sounded great.

I loved when Roxie and Rachel walked into the strip club and Roxie greeted everyone by name and knew the layout of the rooms. Melora Hardin knows her way around a stripper pole, too!

giftcard

giftcard

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

I'm loving this show. Watched all three episodes this weekend. LOVE all their covers and would totally buy an album. All the characters have such great chemistry.

I am also ridiculously entertained by the idea that Steve is African-Canadian, which we know only through the introductory subtitles.

Me too!

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

Not really a fan of the show but do love the music choices.

Indy1

Indy1

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

I randomly watched the episode with the Sci-Fi wedding. It's a cute show. The part that cracked me up the most was when the guys were all watching the final episode of the TV show and Harold Perrineau's character (sorry, I don't know names) makes a comment about it being the second worst ending to a TV show ever since it was so freaking bizarre - the first being Seinfeld, but you totally expect him to say "Lost"

sunrise65

sunrise65

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

hope they have a CD of the music out at the end of the season. OMG! [sings] You and me baby ain't nothin but mammals, let's do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel.......

They are up on itunes! I downloaded I love college! It seems many of the songs are there.

giftcard

giftcard

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

They are up on itunes! I downloaded I love college! It seems many of the songs are there.

What I love is that the artist is listed as Mother Of The Bride. I was looking under "Wedding Band", the way I would when I download songs from Nashville. Off to download now.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

What I love is that the artist is listed as Mother Of The Bride.

This gives me a glimmer of hope that MOTB will tour while the show is on hiatus. Hey, a girl can dream...

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 4:25 PM

This show got a horrible review in my local paper before it came out and the overall premise sounded slight, so I wrote it off before even watching the pilot.

I was surprised to find the generally positive feedback on the show here so I gave it a try (thank you On Demand). I quite like it. I love Eddie/Peter Cambor, Barry (Derek Miller who I constantly think is Jack Black) and Stevie (Harold Perrineau). Kinda lukewarm on Tommy because of BAG/90210 negative association plus I don't want to see his tats anymore.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

I'm not a tattoo fan either, but I have to give BAG a pass in this case. He's the frontman of a band; he'd look weird if he *didn't* have tattoos.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

I can't help it...with the guyliner, nail polish on random fingers, tats, singing, drum playing...BAG is just too frickin' sexy to me. As long as he doesn't sing "Precious" or give us a miggedy miggedy mic check...

I still cannot believe David Silver grew up to be that hot. Definitely did not see that coming.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Rachel's boyfriend/fiance Adam is played by James Carpinello who is rapidly becoming "Hey! It's that guy!". I recognized him, but could not place him until I looked him up.