5-11: "To Thine Own Self" 2012.11.20 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

57 replies to this topic

mintyfresh

mintyfresh

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 3:04 AM

She rarely interacts with them, ignores them when they cry for her so she can keep toking up and deliberately woke an infant out of a dead sleep to feed her needs. She can talk all day and night about 'my boys' and 'my babies', but actions and inactions speak louder.

In my previous comment, I specified that Tara had done nothing in S2-4 to indicate that she didn't love her children - she was regularly shown interacting with them, playing with them, and repeatedly made it clear to Jax that they had to get out for the boys' sake. She was happier and more responsive to them in general b/c she was actively working to leave Charming and would have done so, even without Jax, before her hand was crushed. I don't believe that the marijuana and banging on the toy piano was meant to show that Tara is a bad mother. She started losing it after getting out of the hospital the first time, but even then, she and Jax were set to leave town before the RICO case was dropped on their plans. Since then, every time things start looking up, something shitty happens. Some of it is her fault (especially for not leaving at the end of last season) but Tara has never been given a voice to express what she's thinking or feeling like the other (male) characters are.

She has had some dumb moments over the years but the mistake of giving Otto the crucifix, IMO, was a testament to how inconsistently Tara is written b/c she isn't *that* dumb. I think every viewer saw what would happen with the cross as soon as Gemma handed it to Tara. So if Sutter's intent was anything but trying to illustrate how mentally unstable Tara was to even consider smuggling that thing in, he's basically assassinating the character. I can't really blame anyone for hating currently as she's being written worse than ever. TBH I feel this way about a Gemma as well.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:59 AM.
Save the @ for Twitter, please

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

Oh yeah, the funniest part of the episode which had me rolling was after the boys miraculously didn't get hurt too bad with all those bullets flying, they flew down the embankment in a station wagon, rolling over a couple times and come up adrenaline-rush-screaming to holy hell. :)

The shooting thing didn't really bother me that much since the guys shooting at them looked like they were shooting fully automatic weapons, including machine pistols. From what I have read and seen in other shows those things are super inaccurate. Not to mention they burn through bullets super fast. Add to the fact that the car the guys were in was a moving target, and kicking up a huge dust cloud, I could easily see them not getting really badly shot. Now the car rolling down a hill and flipping over a few times, with Happy in the back without his seatbelt on and no one getting injured was ridiculous.

lasu

lasu

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

Tara has never assaulted/killed someone outside of self-defense situations.

What about beating the shit out of Karla?

PictureItSicily

PictureItSicily

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

Tara has never assaulted/killed someone outside of self-defense situations.

Margaret? I know Margaret shot her mouth off, but Tara was not being physically threatened.

CoralFang

CoralFang

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 1:43 AM

I thought the brothel was in an old Elks' Lodge out in the middle of nowhere. But when Nero's old gang showed up and they went outside, they were surrounded by what looked like apartments. Weird little detail, but still.

Also, did anyone else think Nero was back on some sort of drug when he showed up at Gemma's? I've been sure he was running some sort of long con this whole time, but now I don't know. The character is all over the map.

I feel like the show's not as tightly crafted as in the first couple seasons, but I am holding out hope for a mind blowing finale that will bring everything together.

DanDanNoodles

DanDanNoodles

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

That's one of the big fat fails of this show: you have bikers with people out to kill them. And the writer's cannot think of a more plausible reason than everyone misses when they are shot at.

This is actually one of the things I like about the show. In real life, most criminals are not the brilliant masterminds you typically get on television or in the movies, always three steps ahead of everyone else. In real life, most criminals are stupid, and emotionally immature to boot. That's why they are criminals, they don't have the intelligence or patience to earn money honestly. So when the outlaw bikers' (or their enemies') plans continually blow up in their faces, and yet they continue to try the same shit over and over again, I find that totally realistic.

I love that Chuckie is still around. Every scene with him is just gold.

Interesting to here Tara calling Jax "baby". I don't remember if she's done that before, but that's Gemma's signature endearment. Another sign of Tara's transformation from civilian doctor to old lady.

I think this show is going to give me a heart attack. I don't know if this is what Sutter has been going for, but in almost every scene I feel like someone is going to die. When Juice found the papers in the air vent, and the shot of him on the phone was a tight one, I felt sure that Clay was standing behind him. When Nero showed up at the backdoor, I thought either he or Clay was going to lose it. I swear I'm watching half the show through laced fingers.

Crow37

Crow37

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

The shooting thing didn't really bother me that much since the guys shooting at them looked like they were shooting fully automatic weapons, including machine pistols. From what I have read and seen in other shows those things are super inaccurate. Not to mention they burn through bullets super fast. Add to the fact that the car the guys were in was a moving target, and kicking up a huge dust cloud, I could easily see them not getting really badly shot. Now the car rolling down a hill and flipping over a few times, with Happy in the back without his seatbelt on and no one getting injured was ridiculous.

Yeah, the missed shots weren't too bad...the fact that the bangers were staright across from each other and could've shot their homies on the other side was worse. The part that was funny to me was how they got all pumped and were screaming their asses off, getting away in an old station wagon.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

Ok, my knowledge of chemotherapy is not extensive, but isn't it weird that Unser would be on it this late in his disease? It's not like you can be on chemo indefinitely or for repeated long treatment periods, right?

I realize his cancer is a plot point they forgot for many years, but this stuck out extra weirdly for me. And he still has his hair and eyebrows, naturally.

Oh, and to answer a question upthread, I believe there are two more eps this season.

Edited by kieyra, Nov 23, 2012 @ 7:19 PM.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

I am familiar with chemotherapy, unfortunately. You don't always lose your hair. But experiencing side effects right after infusion also doesn't happen. Usually takes a day or two.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Interesting to here Tara calling Jax "baby". I don't remember if she's done that before, but that's Gemma's signature endearment. Another sign of Tara's transformation from civilian doctor to old lady.

She's called him that before - she did so when her hand was crushed, I remember.

And he still has his hair and eyebrows, naturally.

My grandmother kept her hair after chemo. It happens.

I like Katey Sagal as much as anyone, but sometimes it's very obvious that she's married to the show's creator. It makes zero sense that Nero would be so taken with her after three weeks and the fact that, other than orgasms, she has brought him nothing but grief, that he would kill two of his old crew because he thought something had happened to her son. Who has also brought him nothing but grief and cost him $130K. Just ... what?

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

I am familiar with chemotherapy, unfortunately. You don't always lose your hair. But experiencing side effects right after infusion also doesn't happen. Usually takes a day or two.

I'm sorry to hear that. :\

Speaking of the insta-side effect, that also tied into my reaction about the hair. My experience is solely from my mother going through chemo, but it wasn't like she got out of the chair and immediately threw up; and by the time the chemo was really kicking her ass (the way Unser was portrayed), the hair and eyebrows were going. (I take the point that hair loss isn't guaranteed, but it's pretty likely, isn't it?)

I suppose it's academic because it's already been established that Sutter isn't really trying hard for realism, but yeah.

Edited by kieyra, Nov 23, 2012 @ 9:45 PM.

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

Ah, Unser's cancer--the gift that keeps on giving.

I don't know what kind he has, but isn't stage four of any cancer pretty much beyond chemo? I really don't know at all about how the disease works, but I've gotten the impression that if it gets to stage four it's pretty much pallative measures.

Critic55

Critic55

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

Hey, I thought the Unser scenes in this episode were just a response to everyone's complaint here that his cancer appeared to be in miraculous remission! :-)

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Many people with stage IV cancer respond to treatment and survive many years.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Many people with stage IV cancer respond to treatment and survive many years.

But would they just now be going through chemo 3-4 years after diagnosis? Or are we supposed to assume he's gone into remission and had multiple recurrences?

(I originally thought you just couldn't do multiple successive periods of chemotherapy, but google tells me I'm wrong, so Sutter wins this round of Cancer Fanwank.)

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

She has had some dumb moments over the years but the mistake of giving Otto the crucifix, IMO, was a testament to how inconsistently Tara is written b/c she isn't *that* dumb.

Otto could have crippled/killed Tara before she gave him the crucifix. It would take a vivid imagination to think that Otto would attack a random medical staffer to hurt Samcro instead of the president's wife.

Dallas Fan

Dallas Fan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

Jax had a good line about being tired of being manipulated by greedy men who believe in nothing. I think we all can agree that gun slinging, drug muling, whore pimping should be done with pure heart and sense of idealism. It's disgusting to see how much morals had fallen among drug trafficers nowadays. Maybe Jax will get them to stop using Lord's name in vain while they take out another rival gang member.

Did they ever explained why US government is interested in selling guns to Irish terrorists? Because it's kind of big plot point. I can believe almost anything from US government, but why this? And can't they please explain? Why not make it a story with some Middle East country involved, then we could just assume it's about controlling government of oil producing country.

And of course, I seriously doubt that something of this magnitude would end up leaked to gang members.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

Did they ever explained why US government is interested in selling guns to Irish terrorists? Because it's kind of big plot point. I can believe almost anything from US government, but why this?

Other way around. The IRA sells the guns to SAMCRO (the guns are russian i think) and SAMCRO sells them to a CIA backed mexican drug cartel.

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 3:01 AM

Maggie Siff looked absolutely gorgeous last night. Maybe it's because she's getting her shit together but she looked beautiful instead of trashy and disheveled.

Yes to this. And she has a lovely laugh, if only we got to hear it more.

Dallas Fan

Dallas Fan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 3:52 AM

Ok, thanks. Main question remains though - why is CIA backing drug cartel? Even if, say, they want to destabilize Mexica, it needs no help in drug dealers department. What did they say?

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

Ok, thanks. Main question remains though - why is CIA backing drug cartel? Even if, say, they want to destabilize Mexica, it needs no help in drug dealers department. What did they say?

I think there explanation, as stupid as it was that if the cartel that is backed by the CIA is the one in control of drugs in Mexico then it is better for US National Security than a ton of different cartels at war. Plus I would assume that a powerful drug cartel in Mexico would have access or control over some people in the Mexican government, and if the CIA controls the cartel they have access to those people. The stupid thing is though is that those kind of operations need to be done in secret, and if you go ahead telling everyone you work with that you are CIA, including every two-bit biker gang, the operation is going to fall apart pretty fast.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

What was never made clear to me, each time it's brought up, is..is Romeo actually CIA? Or a drug cartel bigwig recruited by CIA?

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

What was never made clear to me, each time it's brought up, is..is Romeo actually CIA? Or a drug cartel bigwig recruited by CIA?

I have never been clear on that either. And to tie it back into the episode, why the hell do Romeo and the other guy carry their CIA credentials on them? I mean even the dumbest undercover cop would know not to carry his badge on him. Why does Romeo keep his CIA ID in his wallet?

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

For the kicks, man. The kicks!

Read in Gypsy voice for best effect! Sobell, I love your MSTie side.

As far as I can recall, Romeo is CIA who infiltrated the cartel. Luis is ex Mexican Army, who infiltrated a rival cartel, then infiltrated this cartel as a spy for that cartel, and is working as an agent with Romeo. These people need a flow chart just to track all their aliases.

I wonder, how many ghastly crimes are you allowed to perpetrate as an undercover before you cease to be useful as an agent? Is there a quota? Like, so many beheadings, so many bodies dumped in public places, etc., like with a hunting license?

Edited by Snookums, Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:41 PM.

Dallas Fan

Dallas Fan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

I think there explanation, as stupid as it was that if the cartel that is backed by the CIA is the one in control of drugs in Mexico then it is better for US National Security than a ton of different cartels at war.

Thanks again, though their plan doesn't seem to be working, as even I know that there is a bitter war for influence among cartels now after government brought down few big fishes.

Does IRA now sells guns instead of buying them (I have no idea)?

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

Does IRA now sells guns instead of buying them (I have no idea)?

I believe the SoA storyline is that the IRA are selling from the stockpiles of weapons that the soviets provided them during their time as a terrorist organization.

Critic55

Critic55

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

...why the hell do Romeo and the other guy carry their CIA credentials on them?

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

Here's the recap.