All Star Family Cook Off

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

20 replies to this topic

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

This is a new show. FN chefs bring a family member to help them do cooking challenges. One of the Deen boys is the host.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 1:08 AM

I was under the impression it was just a one-off special, but wouldn't mind if it was a series.

Alex looked different, I couldn't put my finger on what it was, but I thought she was very patient with her mom. Much more so than I thought she'd be ;)

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 1:22 AM

This was fun. Alex G. and her mother, Anne Burrell and her younger sister, Robert Irvine and his wife and Geoffrey Zakarian and his (surprisingly young, hot) wife. All did really well, including the interpersonal part (although I have a feeling that socializing with the Irvines it gets really, really tiring that he has to pick her up and toss her around all the time--i got the feeling that's their "thing" socially, with him Mr. Muscles and her a wrestler.)

re: Bobby Deen. Did he just gain weight? Or did he have a face-lift, botox or...? He looked so different to me.

sugaree

sugaree

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 3:08 AM

I thought they were going to introduce Zakarian's wife as his daughter.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 8:11 AM

All did really well, including the interpersonal part (although I have a feeling that socializing with the Irvines it gets really, really tiring that he has to pick her up and toss her around all the time--I got the feeling that's their "thing" socially, with him Mr. Muscles and her a wrestler.)

I see that as Robert trying to sure everyone knows that he's the man in the relationship. I'm sure that when Gail gets tired of him snatching her up, she'll put him in a headlock real quick. It looks like he is trying to dominate her! Dude, you married a wrestler. On purpose. Stop picking your grown wife up all the damn time.

I liked this show! Once I saw what the last challenge was, I knew Anne would win. She is a far better teacher than Alex.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

Bobby Deen looked different to me because his hair is cut shorter. I don't think it's a good look either, not in the least bit flattering.

Brattinella

Brattinella

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Dogs, cat, cooking shows, food, reading blogs (worst addiction!)<br /><br />Glad I found a home here!!<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />~shower the people you love with love~

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

This show would have been wonderful with a different host; Bobby Deen is most unlikeable. I loved Anne and her sister, Alex is wonderful but her mom seems somewhat like mine; a passive-aggressive manipulator. I could be wrong.
Anyhow, hope this show is a one-off.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

The announcer's voice came on before we saw him, so I wondered who it was. When I heard "Bobby Deen," I couldn't believe it! Those Deens have infiltrated the network!!! Bobby looks better to me with his new, shorter hairstyle. He actually had no southern accent in the beginning, but later, he laid it on thick. Maybe he'll make a better host than he made as a cook.

Alex and her mother bore a striking resemblance to each other. The nut doesn't fall far from the tree. Alex had gained a lot of weight before this show was filmed. Her weight was the first thing I noticed about her.

I thought the Zakarians and the Irvines were all show. All of that kissing, hugging and sweet talk! BLECH! I didn't believe one second of it. I think Zakarian met his wife in preschool.

Anne and her sister were so cute together that I'm glad they won.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

I liked this show. Robert was obnoxious as ever with his wife. Zacharian was pretty good with his. Alex and her mother, Anne and her sister were very good. I'm glad that Anne won since she is a very good teacher and her sister knew the basics except the wine though.

Bobby Deen looked terrible with his new hair and he has gained weight. I would rather watch him as a host though than the horrible Alton Brown. Alton hosted this year's Thanksgiving Live yesterday afternoon.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Anne and her sister were so cute together that I'm glad they won.

It's probably a good thing they did. Otherwise Anne would have gone postal, blamed her sister for the loss, and stuffed her in an oven.

blackcat

blackcat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Once I saw what the last challenge was, I knew Anne would win.

Yup, that was the moment when I relaxed back into my seat, feeling good about guessing the winner. Unless something had gone horribly wrong it was blindingly obvious. Anne's track record as an instructor speaks for itself. I didn't expect the huge gap between the two dishes, however, lol. Man, usually the judging commentary likes to play coy a little to preserve some suspense, try and make it seem like they are neck and neck, but even they couldn't make it seem anything less than obvious when tasting the final dishes.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

• Interests:Cooking, gardening, photography, writing, decorating

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

Would you believe that I managed to watch the entire show without ever catching a glimpse of Bobby Deen? Sometimes it's good to multi-task. I can't say that I blame Anne's sister for not finding the Madeira wine. As someone who searched the local stores for several weeks until I found it, I still applaud her. And yes, I did note the familial behavior patterns between Alex G. and her mother. Loved that the final came down to the two women chefs.

Psychobunny

Psychobunny

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

I do think it's a little unfair to have Alex's mother who is a cookbook editor (and edited the freaking Joy of Cooking) and treat her the same as any other home chef.

berenjena

berenjena

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

I do think it's a little unfair to have Alex's mother who is a cookbook editor (and edited the freaking Joy of Cooking) and treat her the same as any other home chef.

But it is worth it to see her bite into the haed of garlic to get a clove, and have Alex say " mom, find a knife, PLEASE"
That is true rustic cooking! :-)

Edited by berenjena, Nov 19, 2012 @ 11:27 PM.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

Stardancer2001:

I see that as Robert trying to sure everyone knows that he's the man in the relationship. I'm sure that when Gail gets tired of him snatching her up, she'll put him in a headlock real quick. It looks like he is trying to dominate her! Dude, you married a wrestler. On purpose. Stop picking your grown wife up all the damn time.

No kidding! What was the point of picking her up and carrying her, not once, but two times? "Look at me, I'm a big strong man, I can carry people!" I know some petite women who HAAATE being picked up like they're little dolls. Especially in front of others, like he needs to prove something. It's demeaning, and I hated her for putting up with it. I find him very obnoxious. I don't know if I would have watched the whole show if he wasn't eliminated when he was.

WeWartide3

WeWartide3

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 8:29 AM

My husband and I loved this show, and hoping it may survive to have another round. Bobby was somewhat enjoyable, and yes, the haircut really made the difference in him. I think he may have found his true calling, only if he does not suck up all the air from other hosts. I would not mind watching him again in this.

Happy to see Ann watch, and totally agree about her winning. She is not the worst cook winner thrice for nothing. I was happy to see her sister staying calm through all of this. I would have just died, if someone constantly stood over me, and told me what to do.

Totally agreed about the Zakarians and Irvines. Way to much show of love people. Sometimes I wonder about couples who feel the need to really show their affection, if they are trying to prove to themselves, and others why they really are together.

Loved Alex and her Mom. Very surprised that Alex did not wear her hair up. Her hair down was a huge distraction for us. I also wonder how much hair was really in the food. I was happy to see after Alex said her and her Mom could not cook together in a kitchen, that they were able to get along.

So happy to see Ann and her sister win. Either way, I would have been happy with Ann/Sis or Alex/Mom.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

No matter what feelings anyone has about Anne as a competitor (I like her, but she doesn't take defeat gracefully), she is a most excellent teacher. That's why I keep watching the silly, silly, SILLY "Worst Cooks in America," and why I like "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef." The other cooking shows are closer to lifestyle shows, but Anne's always have something to teach me.

BusyOctober

BusyOctober

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

Apparently I'm alone here, but I think Bobby Deen has changed more than just his haircut. He looks like he had some work done! Eyes maybe? Chin or cheek implants? His face looks totally different, less puffy. Compared to Jaime, he's still the Ugly Duckling brother IMO.

Knew Anne would win, but love love love Alex and her mom!

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I just got around to watching this. I liked the show. I liked Bobby's new haircut and thought he made a good host. While I'm not overly fond of him, I don't find him unattractive and his looks appeal to me more than Jamie's, but YMMV. What grates on me is his "underdog, lesser son," etc. vibe, which on both his own and Paula's shows comes across as both defensive and sanctimonious. It would be great if FN and TCC would utilize his talents more in a hosting role.

I totally see now where Alex gets her anxious/nervous personality. The apple didn't fall far from the tree. It was like deja' vu with Alex being on "Celebrity Chopped" and "NICA." Alex's mother demonstrated the constant fretting, lack of confidence, anxiety that Alex does, including the off-side warnings/cheers, "don't cut yourself," "you can do this..." Cognitive behavior therapy would probably do miracles for Alex!

As Robert indicated, the Irvines are still newlyweds and haven't spent enough time together in the kitchen. If they spend a month or less together throughout the course of a calendar year, it is not surprising that Gail was unfamiliar with cooking techniques. When it became apparent from the get-go that team Irvine was a disaster, I admire for Robert to keep his cool. If Gail wasn't his wife, God forbid... The picking up and carrying her was OTT, but I guess if it made him feel more manly, so be it.

I didn't think Zakarian's wife was attractive at all. It made me curious about the backstory on that one. At least she knew some kitchen fundamentals. Their presentation was all about him, and I was glad to see them go out first.

If Alex's mother didn't have such stage fright and didn't cut her finger, I think they probably would have won. When I learned that Anne's sister was a dietician, I expected that she'd know more about recipe ingredients.

In all, I wouldn't like to see this every week, but every 3-4 months or so would be fine.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Team Irvine was a disaster because Gail doesn't cook! If Robert really wanted to compete, he should have had his daughter or family member who could cook.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Does she not cook at all or what? I'm asking because they made a huge deal in the wedding episode of her meeting him through cooking with him on Dinner Impossible. So I thought she at least knew the basics.

I only watched this off and on and missed who won. I'm glad it was Anne and her sister.