10-3: "Turkeypocalypse" 2012.11.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

107 replies to this topic

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

John was talking about Kuniko like a peer, not like a naive newbie who didn't know any better.

I don't think people were condescending. They just said they liked her a lot and it was a shame she was sent home. And John just barged in there with a "She deserved it" comment. Again, he was right. They all knew he was right, most of all CJ since he was actually in the room with her when she was PYKAG'd.

But even then, you have to be able to read a room. Kuniko wasn't there anymore and nobody in the room seemed in the mood to hear what he was saying. Again, either he's socially clueless or he's a dick. It has nothing to do with respecting Kuniko.

I have to wonder if stuff around Carla's soup freak out was edited out. From previous seasons we know both CJ and Stephan are kind of bossy and try to push other chefs around in team challenges, so it just seems to me that context for her reaction to them ended up on the cutting room floor.

It may have been but I have the feeling that they simply went over to taste her soup and she just warned them that it wasn't seasoned or finished yet, so any critiques of that nature was useless. After that I think everyone became confused and started to bicker.

I don't think if a woman treats herself in a sexist manner (my lovely ass!) means that others get to treat her that way. That's just general human to human respect. Otherwise, it smacks too much of 'she asked for it' scary attitude.

Yeah. All the "she likes to stay pretty and preens in the kitchen so not only do I not respect her as a chef (what the hell is the correlation?) but she practically demands to be demeaned" is a very scary attitude.

Edited by Isuzu, Nov 26, 2012 @ 3:06 AM.

RescueMom

RescueMom

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

What was the deal with the chef who didn't get any flour during the Quickfire? I was astonished that apparently there wasn't enough to go around in a challenge where you'd expect every chef to need plenty.

I wondered what was going on with that too.

I thought that was really weird as well, but when the judge came around I thought she then said there wasn't any rice flour. So I wonder if there was regular wheat flour, but her particular dumpling needed rice flour to be authentic or turn out right? But it seems to me that substituting wheat flour (and explaining why) would be preferable to not having a wrapper at all.

RobertDeSneero

RobertDeSneero

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

All the "she likes to stay pretty and preens in the kitchen so not only do I not respect her as a chef (what the hell is the correlation?) but she practically demands to be demeaned" is a very scary attitude.

I take more of a "anyone with a massive ego practically demands to be deflated in some way" attitude. It doesn't matter if their ego is because they think they are physically attractive, because they are rich, or because they think they are more talented than their peers (but ego can sometimes be tolerable and even endearing if they actually are way more talented than their peers).

Stefan and Carla are both people who are in need of some ego deflation on this show. If I were a contestant, I'd probably be needling the hell out of both of them in an attempt to push their buttons. I hope John can do that to both of them.

berenjena

berenjena

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

I thought that was really weird as well, but when the judge came around I thought she then said there wasn't any rice flour. So I wonder if there was regular wheat flour, but her particular dumpling needed rice flour to be authentic or turn out right? But it seems to me that substituting wheat flour (and explaining why) would be preferable to not having a wrapper at all.

I think she was making a choice because of the time constraint. By serving an " Asian gnudi" she could still showcase other skills , like authentic flavors and presentation. And they did compliment her on the taste of the dish.

Rice flour and wheat flour are very differnet in texture and flavor , so perhaps she was just moving forward with what she knew she could plate instead of making a wild experiment and risking a gummy mess, or worse not plating at all.

Trader Joe

Trader Joe

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Glasses Dude,

You either need bi-focals or a new RX.

Sunidesus

Sunidesus

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 2:39 AM

I'm a bit perplexed by Fufu even being an option. I wouldn't have put that under "dumpling" as a category. It's more of a starchy vehicle to get whatever the actual dish is into your mouth in lieu of utensils. Nothing goes inside it, pieces are pulled off of the main mass and that bit is used to scoop up the sauce/meat/etc. It is of course very possible that there are other versions of it than the version I've had... Africa is a rather large place after all!

RobertDeSneero

RobertDeSneero

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 3:18 AM

Maybe it helps if you think of fufu as a larger, African version of gnocchi. Hmmm...now I want to make a giant gnocchi.

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

Yes, but Josie had less stress than anyone since she had immunity.

While she didn't have the stress of knowing she she could go home, I think she had the same time constraint stress put on all the contestants, to get the food done by "times up". Maybe knowing she couldn't go home contributed to her not fulling thinking through all that would entail cooking multiple large turkeys in the same oven.

From previous seasons we know both CJ and Stephan are kind of bossy and try to push other chefs around in team challenges. . .

I would add hostile, insecure, and petty, to CJ's list of descriptive adjectives. I had a good laugh hearing him wear his stage, I forget where, as a badge of honor. I think at his age he should be at the level where he is offering them, not doing them. I'm thinking CJ's ego writes checks, his skill set can't afford.

Edited by VirginiBound, Nov 27, 2012 @ 8:39 AM.

redfin4

redfin4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

I don't think people were condescending. They just said they liked her a lot and it was a shame she was sent home.

If CJ said any of that, then it was condescending.

In his talking head, he said he was glad Kuniko was screwing up because she's competition. But in front of the others, he says "What a shame".

He's like a waffling politician. Totally insincere.

Regardless of some chefs not being in the mood, I think it's a good thing John didn't play along with any phoniness.

I had a good laugh hearing him wear his stage, I forget where, as a badge of honor.

I remember that, too. CJ name-dropped Noma, which has been #1 on "The World's 50 Best Restaurants" list for the past few years.

As tv viewers, if we were rolling our eyes at CJs bragging, I can only imagine how the chefs in the competition reacted.

SoManyWays

SoManyWays

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

she botched the task in several ways that any good home cook might have avoided

Home cooks have their home kitchens. Josie had a borrowed kitchen and whatever she had the forethought and budget to buy and bring with her. Did they have aluminum foil on hand?

They can't both be true? Hmph. It seems I will have to edit my range of emotional responses, then.

tvprime

tvprime

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

Home cooks have their home kitchens. Josie had a borrowed kitchen and whatever she had the forethought and budget to buy and bring with her. Did they have aluminum foil on hand?

A kitchen is a kitchen. Especially for a "top chef."

Cooking a turkey is actually fairly easy. I never watched Josie's season but I've lost all respect for her as a chef.

FYI, I started helping out with the Thanksgiving cooking when I was about 12. Between me, my mother, grandmother, sisters etc, I have never seen an underdone turkey.

I think foil is available in most restaurant kitchens. She could have improvised with a bunch of other stuff. Even covering the outside with bacon to protect the skin during the long baking time.

berenjena

berenjena

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

Home cooks have their home kitchens. Josie had a borrowed kitchen and whatever she had the forethought and budget to buy and bring with her. Did they have aluminum foil on hand?.

The unknown kitchen must play a factor on Top Chef. Since Josie has competed before she must be aware of it.

Personally, if I were competeing I would have an oven thermometer in my kit. The unfamiliar uncalibrated kitchens have been a bug a boo through the seasons. Was it all stars in Bermuda when the fryer overheated and caught the kitchen on fire?

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 2:47 AM

If CJ said any of that, then it was condescending.

In his talking head, he said he was glad Kuniko was screwing up because she's competition. But in front of the others, he says "What a shame".

Regardless of some chefs not being in the mood, I think it's a good thing John didn't play along with any phoniness.

YMMV (and apprently does, so I won't discuss it any further), but I didn't find it condescending in the least.

Also, you're compraing two entirely different situations: in the quickfire, CJ said he liked Kuniko but he was glad she didn't plate because she was a strong chef and it upped his odds of winning. In the stew room post elimination, she was not a threat to him anymore, she was just a person who had shared their lives for a few days and they were reminiscing about that. We've seen some passive agresive bullshit in the stew room over the year, but they all seemed pretty sad when Kuniko said she was leaving.

And I don't think that being nice and being phony are synonyms. He couldn't be nice in that moment, that's okay. It doesn't even really diminish my views of him (since he behaved pretty much how he's always been described as behaving) and I do think he's a great chef. Still, I also think he's a jerk.

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Also, cooking the same meal for a large group, which is catering, is very different then cooking lots of different meals all night long. You need totally different cooking times for everything you make. I have cooked both styles of food service, getting my training from the School of Hard Knocks. I went from cooking in restaurants to a catering-ish venue, where I had to double and sometimes triple 50 serving recipes, I got from a BOCES (Board of Cooperative Educational Services) cookbook I bought. I remember, now fondly, my very first meal. I had 3 hotel pans, 50 serving each, of from scratch scolloped potatoes, in a 350 standard single oven, for 45 minutes. Only the potatoes were still at crunchy stage mere minutes from service, with at least an additional 30 added. We made it work by nuking blowls full of potatoes while we were serving. Like most Hard Knock graduates, I learned an important lesson that day, adjust cooking time for quantity. I think Josie, under different circumstances, may have made the proper adjustments. I also think, the stress from the serious time constraints placed on the chefs, by TC, along with maybe a less then diligent attitude because of her immunity, blocked the needed adjustment from her thought process. I can give her slack for that. What I have a problem with, was how she responded at judges table. I think had she honestly thought the turkey was over cooked, her response would have been, "it was dry?" Instead she said, with what I saw as a ? thought bubble over her head, "it was medium" tells me at least, that she new she had an under done issue, only in turkey, there is no medium.

A kitchen is a kitchen. Especially for a "top chef."

The unknown kitchen must play a factor on Top Chef. Since Josie has competed before she must be aware of it.

Personally, if I were competeing I would have an oven thermometer in my kit. The unfamiliar uncalibrated kitchens have been a bug a boo through the seasons. Was it all stars in Bermuda when the fryer overheated and caught the kitchen on fire?

I respectfully disagree with a kitchen being a kitchen. I think there are a million differences from every oven, and any other piece of equipment found in any kitchen. The temperature, I think is probably the most common issue you see from ovens to ovens, and there are lots of different reasons that could be an issue. I don't think this was the first time we have seen oven issues in TC, TC-Just Desserts, and TC- Masters, nor do I think it will be the last. I do agree with the second comment. With 10 seasons under the belt, one would think, just like learning some simple desserts, by this time chefs would put oven thermometers in the tool box, and immediately check the temps, to know where adjustments need to be made. Also, I think a top chef should know how to make it work. As a Hard Knock graduate I immediately found a way to make my raw potatoes work. If, Josie knew she would have a cooking problem, whether it be over, or under done, she could have cut up the bird, before it was too late, and finished cooking the drumsticks, and wings apart from the breasts, which could have been cut in half if need be. I don't think she attempted anything to make it work, and sadly for Kuniko, she had to pay the price.

Edited by VirginiBound, Nov 28, 2012 @ 8:20 AM.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

All the "she likes to stay pretty and preens in the kitchen so not only do I not respect her as a chef (what the hell is the correlation?) but she practically demands to be demeaned" is a very scary attitude.

For me it matters because she's doing it while in the kitchen. Fussing with her hair and letting it fly all over the place has got to have it landing in the food. And the time she's wasting on preening she should be concentrating on the food IMO.

susannot

susannot

Couch Potato

• Interests:Music, yoga, cuisine

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Has CJ/Tom's turkey recipe been posted? Re=watching the episode, that looked like a damn fine turkey, even if it did use 3 lbs. of butter (think CJ was exaggerating.)

Agree with posters who said they have never undercooked a turkey. The opposite is almost invariably true. The only complaint I have ever received about my turkeys are they they are too dry.

Zunnieflower

Zunnieflower

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 3:53 PM

I was disappointed with the Quickfire Challenge. The Top Chef producers chose a dumpling from specific countries but then decided to lump together the entire continent of Africa together for a dish. Moreover, as a commenter stated above, fufu is not even a dumpling. Because of the vast amount of cultures and cuisines in Africa, Top Chef could have chosen a dish that is actually a dumpling and popular in a specific country (or even within an ethnic group) in Africa.

Edited by Zunnieflower, Jan 1, 2013 @ 4:23 PM.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 11:34 PM

Kuniko going out this early makes sense. With her poor time-management skills, she was never going to get far.

I wanted to like her, but said skills, or lack of them, annoy the hell out of me on this show.