4-6: "We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes" 2012.11.15 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

147 replies to this topic

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 7:56 AM

But I don't get her relationship with Matt and Jeremy. Elena babysat her ages ago. That's not enough for April to stick to the other boys like glue.

Girl has eyes. Jeremy and Matt are both unattached. And adorable.

I know other people have mentioned it but I haven't so horray for Matt/Damon time. That has potential. Also horray for Smart Matt, realizing the obvious of most obvious that Professor Creepy is well, Creepy. Go Matt!

Janieful

Janieful

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

At this point, the three of them have eternity together, a huge house, and they all love each other. Might as well figure out a way to share without the endless angst.

I think this would be a disaster, mainly because it is so freaking unrealistic. This rarely if ever works in real life, unless there's some sort of religious prerogative going on.

One might question why this matters in a supernatural show in which almost nothing is realistic. But that is precisely why the human emotion part should be as realistic as possible. I don't remember where I read this, but the bar for science fiction and supernatural shows is oftentimes even higher in terms of portraying believable human relationships. If you don't have that, I think there's really no way for a viewer to relate at all.

Plus for them to do that, they would probably have to turn off their Plec-invented "humanity switch". I just don't think it fits with the Vampire Diaries mythology or ethos.

Edited by Janieful, Nov 18, 2012 @ 10:06 AM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

horray for Matt/Damon time

At first glance, I thought WHEN IS MATT DAMON GOING TO GUEST STAR ON THE SHOW?! Haha, don't mind me. I do like that Matt using his brain has Damon being less hostile toward him. I don't Damon ever actively liked Matt but at least before this season he wasn't openly hating Matt either. Baby steps, man. Plus we know how Damon feels about people in the NSDR anyway: if you aren't useful, he doesn't care about you (see: his comment about Bonnie this episode).

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

At first glance, I thought WHEN IS MATT DAMON GOING TO GUEST STAR ON THE SHOW?!

Ha!

if you aren't useful, he doesn't care about you (see: his comment about Bonnie this episode).

To be fair to Damon, Bonnie was off being hypnotized by Professor Creepy half the last week or so. She has been too distracted to be really in the loop. I think Damon says stuff like that because he likes to tweak people, especially Bonnie.

Edited by My Way, Nov 18, 2012 @ 10:47 AM.

SnowFox

SnowFox

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

To be fair to Damon, Bonnie was off being hypnotized by Professor Creepy half the last week or so. She has been too distracted to be really in the loop. I think Damon says stuff like that because he likes to tweak people, especially Bonnie.

I had the same thought. Damon did the same thing at the end of last season, Bonnie snarked back asking Damon why he had fed her his blood to heal her, and Damon responded with more snark.

I thought it was interesting that Stefan told Damon and Bonnie to do whatever it is they do, and then went off to find Elena. It was like Stefan acknowledging Damon and Bonnie (or Damon/Alaric, Caroline/Bonnie/Jeremy) do the work while Stefan tries to keep Elena out of trouble.

Maybe the real reason Stefan sent Damon after Elena was not only because Stefan thought Damon could get through to Elena, but also because Stefan is tired of going along with Elena's stupid plans, and then listening to her cry when they don't work.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

What bugs about Damon snarking at Bonnie this season is that she isn't given the chance to snark back. She always did before, now she just takes it as if it's his right.

ScorpioEvil

ScorpioEvil

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

Another day in Mystic Falls and another colored is killed.

Lawd. WHY do I stick with this hot mess? WHY?

Paul Wesley is why. I have an unhealthy level of stanning for that man. Same with Kat Graham.

My Steffy is free! *fist pump* Hopefully,this tired triangle is really at an end. I was cackling with glee at the breakup scene. Now Damon's eternally thirsty ass can finally get the girl and she can be magnified, heightened,etc with him. I am not the least bit interested in Elena/Damon.Oh happy day for my FF button! I must say that Paul Wesley and Nina Dobrev really acted the breakup scene well.

The writing to bring about Elena/Damon is annoying. Where did Special Snowflake's love for Stefan go? Did it just die? Did it turn sibling like in an instant because her lady bits are a throbbing madly for Damon? Is this some sort of underhanded shade directed at Damon/Elena that she can only be with him as a vampire and "dark",but not be able to do that when she was human? I don't get it unless this is another ass pull from the writers to justify Damon/Elena,just like them meeting first(which made me roll my eyes so hard that they began to ache.)

Bonnie. I love her dearly and I am trying to hang on for my girl. That professor is a huge creep and I wonder what fuckery JP is going to drop on Bonnie with this story.

Klaus is a sociopath and no amount of cooing at Caroline will make me change my mind about that. Dude is and always will be a freak.

A polyandrous relationship wouldn't work because it would never be enough for Damon or Stefan. I think each wants Elena to be theirs and not share her with the other. Especially Damon. Per the show's endless insistence about his man pain angst, he's been second for his entire existence. I think the need to be #1 would be very deep with him.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

But that aside, I think it's not just shitty of Jeremy to mock April but it's a complete 180 degrees from last week's episode when he went out of his way to make sure she was wearing vervain so she could not be compelled again. This show is just ridiculous sometimes.

It is shitty, I agree, but there's only one possibility that I have: officially becoming part of the Five (well, getting the tattoo) has transformed Jeremy's character. He even was excited to kill a hybrid, no questions asked. He honestly seemed...more than excited at one point.

At first glance, I thought WHEN IS MATT DAMON GOING TO GUEST STAR ON THE SHOW?!

Ok, that made me laugh for a good five minutes. Thank you for that.

I would personally not argue for a Damon/Stefan/Elena weird polyandrous relationship. Hey, why can't Elena have some fun? Oh wait, Katherine practically did this already, just with some compulsion.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

It is shitty, I agree, but there's only one possibility that I have: officially becoming part of the Five (well, getting the tattoo) has transformed Jeremy's character. He even was excited to kill a hybrid, no questions asked.

It's a good theory but Jeremy already had the tattoo when he gave the necklace to April in the earlier episode, and he hadn't chopped off a hybrid's head when he mocked her in the latter episode. So his "potential" status quo hadn't changed when he did the 180 personality switch.

Izeinwinter

Izeinwinter

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

Simpler theory. What happened to Jeremy earlier that day?
Why, he died.
Now, what is the known side effects ring Resurrection?

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Why, he died.

Esther brainwashing. When Jeremy return, he was pretty excited about killing the hybrid. He didn't seem bother by the fact that he was a friend of Tyler,or anything. He chop the guys head clean off without even flinching. However that is the second hybrid Jeremy had killed. He killed one back in season 3.

Limber

Limber

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

It is the second hybrid Jeremy's killed, but the first had a very clear purpose: hybrid is blocking door, Alaric needs to get to the hospital, kill hybrid, now get Alaric to ER. This one... less clear. Killing the guy who risked his own life by disobeying Klaus and letting Stefan free Elena, just so Elena will stop freaking out? That is morally gray, and in the "charcoal" gray area rather than, say, "dove" gray. So the ring theory could fit neatly into that behavior change.

The writing to bring about Elena/Damon is annoying. Where did Special Snowflake's love for Stefan go? Did it just die? Did it turn sibling like in an instant because her lady bits are a throbbing madly for Damon? Is this some sort of underhanded shade directed at Damon/Elena that she can only be with him as a vampire and "dark",but not be able to do that when she was human?

I swear that part of this is actually Stefan having a hard time dating Elena as a vampire. He tried to keep her human, then he tried to keep her vamp-vegan, and at each step it's been clear that Elena is very aware of how invested Stefan is in her NOT being a blood-drinking full-blown vampire. It's been driving her to Damon at every turn, and Stefan's been encouraging it because he doesn't want to (or can't) get involved with that side of vampire life. He's leaping at this cure thing; even Damon is openly commenting on how Stefan might only be able to be with Elena if she's human. Stefan hates everything in him that is vampiric, and has spent about a century convincing himself that those instincts are evil and wrong while glorifying human instincts. So when his lovely human girlfriend who represents all of the things he wants to be suddenly turns into a woman indulging in all the traits he hates about himself... Basically, I think "you like Damon" was one hell of a convenient cover.

I think Damon knows that Stefan's having this particular issue, and if Elena hasn't figured it out specifically, she's certainly picking up on Stefan's disappointment that she can't live a vegan, human life.

zizou

zizou

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 5:06 AM

if Elena hasn't figured it out specifically, she's certainly picking up on Stefan's disappointment that she can't live a vegan, human life.

It's one of the things "Katherine" told her so yeah, I think Elena was definitely aware of that.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 6:16 AM

Jeremy didn't know that the hybrid was Tyler's friend or was the same hybrid that had helped Stephan free Elena (why was this a good idea again? I couldn't understand it while I was watching the episode and I sure don't understand it now). So technically, all he knew was that they had offered up one of Klaus's minions to kill.

Why, he died.

Well judging from Alaric, it makes one more ruthless not more... "mean girls" mean. April wasn't a vampire-sympathizer or a member of the Council that had "failed". In fact, her dad was about the only Council member that tried to get shit done.

Robert1995

Robert1995

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

I could see Bonnie getting out of control with dark magic kinda like Willow did on Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I think Elena will get with Damon but if she becomes human again she will probably regret her choice but I really want her and Damon together.

They really shouldn't have killed the hybrid. I'm sure they could of found some other vampire that was actually bad. It is Mystic Falls after all. Yay @ Katherine being in this episode even if it was only as a hallucination.

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 12:44 AM

I think this was one of the strongest episodes of the season. Lots of plotlines moving forward, and the allusion to Silas, who I'd guess is the new "big bad" of the season. Something makes me think that Professor Shane has hypnotized Bonnie so she will assist in bringing Silas back - I hope I'm wrong and Bonnie is more savvy to what is going on here.

Wickery Bridge scenes are starting to be as ubiquitous as porch scenes. Unlike previous occasions, Elena going into the water was her means of salvation not her means of destruction. Liked the symmetry of that. Apparently, in addition to house cleaning, Damon is also very adept at retrieving Elena's jewelry as I think this was at least the third time he's done something like that.

Also liked that Stefan and Elena had the "heart to heart" talk ... I do think some of the reasons they were giving for their conflict were b.s. - but maybe it was b.s. they needed to believe to make it easier to move on. I think a big part of Elena's growing connection to Damon wasn't so much because she's getting "darker" it's that Damon is not sabotaging things anymore - the natural attraction that was there for a while is not being squashed by all those outbursts that helped Elena rationalize that exploring that relationship was a bad idea. I also think the reason Elena talks to Damon more about certain things than Stefan is that Stefan does have this idealized view of the fragile, compassionate Elena that he fell in love with. Damon won't sugarcoat things, but he also won't beat her up about her choices. We've seen multiple times this episode as she went through her hallucinations, she's nowhere near as fragile about the blood thing as people would like to believe. She can adapt to being a vampire and thrive, even if that's a bit scary. And when the hallucinations were gone and the sun was coming up, it was clear she did not want to die - so clearly she could live with the fact that she killed Connor.

Loved the many shades of grey surrounding Jeremy's initiation into "The Five". I think Caroline did realize that what they did was terribly wrong, especially after Tyler threw the glass at the wall - the expression on her face wasn't a "WTF is wrong with you, Tyler," it was more of anguish at her role in things.

katierose295

katierose295

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 1:26 AM

Unlike previous occasions, Elena going into the water was her means of salvation not her means of destruction.

Maybe the going off the bridge is being used as a baptisimal metaphor for when Elena enters a new stage in her life. The first time when her parents died, introducing her to the supernatural world. The second time when she died and became a vampire. And now this time as she begins to accept that she live as a vampire and moves away from the person she formerly was. Or possibly I'm giving the show too much credit.

And when the hallucinations were gone and the sun was coming up, it was clear she did not want to die - so clearly she could live with the fact that she killed Connor.

That's a good point. Clearly the Queen of Compassion isn't going to cry forever because she killed a human or whatever Stefan's been insisting would happen if she took a life. That plays into my theory that most of Stefan's issues with Elena being a vampire come from Stefan's own issues and not from reality. (Jesus, I just used the word "reality" while discussing this show. Time to go to bed...)

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

This is an interesting article that someone wrote, that Julie Plec said that it gets what the writers was trying to say about Elena,Jeremy,Tayler,and others.

The theme is Consequences

A big part of growing up is learning your actions have consequences, that every choice you make affects not only you but the people who surround you. For Elena Gilbert, it seems every choice she makes reverberates throughout the entire world of The Vampire Diaries, for better or worse (but mostly for worse). Her entire struggle this season is a consequence of her ultimate choice to sacrifice her own life for Matt’s, and every second of her supernaturally-inflicted torment in “We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes” feels like nothing more than a giant “I told you so” from the universe in return. It’s Elena’s biggest personal coming-of-age moment as a vampire, and it’s not only necessary but spectacularly rendered to boot, full of emotional nuance and real, tangible character development for both Elena and those in her orbit.

Bosman401

Bosman401

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

Why is Klaus so determined to create more hybrids? There seems to be an endless supply of them coming out of the woodwork each episode.

And I hope that the only reason they are making Jeremy into a Hunter is so that he will finally bring an end to Klaus' reign of terror. Most annoying character on the show, which is saying a lot since it also features Elena.

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Why is Klaus so determined to create more hybrids? There seems to be an endless supply of them coming out of the woodwork each episode.

We just assume he wants the cure to turn Elena back. He might want the cure for another reason all together.

And I hope that the only reason they are making Jeremy into a Hunter is so that he will finally bring an end to Klaus' reign of terror. Most annoying character on the show, which is saying a lot since it also features Elena.

Well I for one hope Klaus and his original family be around for a long ,long time. Beside if they kill him they also kill his sire line,and Tyler. I think they are turning Jeremy into a hunter so he can be able to deal with the big evil that is coming,or they are turning him into Alaric part 2, so him and Elena can have conflict when he goes after Damon,Stefan ,Caroline,and her.

circelily

circelily

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 6:38 AM

And I hope that the only reason they are making Jeremy into a Hunter is so that he will finally bring an end to Klaus' reign of terror.

I think they need to find a way to untie his fate from his spawn. Then the show at least has options.

But I do think it is inconsistent for Klaus to want to protect his hybrids at any price in one moment, then willingly sacrifice them in consecutive weeks.

Edited by circelily, Nov 21, 2012 @ 6:38 AM.

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

But I do think it is inconsistent for Klaus to want to protect his hybrids at any price in one moment, then willingly sacrifice them in consecutive weeks.

Klaus only protect one of his hybrid...and that's Tyler. He have not show to protect no other hybrids. Klaus did bond with the first batch, however Stefan killed them all. The second batch he doesn't seem to care that much about.

Why would Klaus want to protect Tyler in the first place? He's not fond of Tyler , so why would Klaus care if he killed by a hunter.?

Then I thought about the look that Hayley gave Tyler...and Klaus being at Tyler's house. Tyler didn't invite him in. Tyler didn't even know Klaus was there. Which mean that maybe Hayley invited him. Maybe Hayley is working with Klaus to break up Caroline and Tyler.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

Carol Lockwood invited Klaus in last season. He has free reign to enter Lockwood Estates any time he wants.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

The recap is up. I hope you enjoy it! Happy Thanksgiving, to all who celebrate!

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

Carol Lockwood invited Klaus in last season. He has free reign to enter Lockwood Estates any time he wants.

I know Klaus was invite in last season. That not what I referring to. I referring to the fact that he was there apparently 'after' Tyler went to bed. Tyler didn't know he was there. Tyler,Hayley and Chris were drinking all night and paying homage to their fallen hybrid ,Dean. When Tyler awaken the next day he find Chris ,and Hayley still up,and Klaus had join the party. Now it's obvious that Tyler didn't invite him,or he would have been there before Tyler retire. So who invite Klaus over? It's not like Klaus goes and party with Tyler. Klaus usually on go over Tyler's house when he needs something. So why was Klaus there and who invite him to come over? I couldn't imagine Chris doing it since Chris had broke Klaus's sire bond, and I'm sure he would not have wanted Klaus to know. I sure Tyler wouldn't have invite Klaus over to his house,well since Tyler can't stand Klaus. So that leaves Hayley. Why would Klaus be up all night partying with Hayley? Does anyone else find that a little suspicious ?

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 2:33 AM

I don't understand this question. Why would Klaus need an invitation to come over to Tyler's? Aren't all his hybrids currently lodged there? Has Klaus ever waited for an invitation to go anywhere he wanted to? And how or when was it established that he was up all night partying with Hayley?

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

I don't understand this question. Why would Klaus need an invitation to come over to Tyler's? Aren't all his hybrids currently lodged there? Has Klaus ever waited for an invitation to go anywhere he wanted to?

No, all the hybrid are not living with Tyler. The Hybrid are living with Klaus. Klaus only sent two Hybrid to protect Tyler. Dean,and I do not know the other. (I assume Chris. )

I know he doesn't need a invite. However it not like he hangs out with Tyler. He has no reason to go over to Tyler's house. He found out that Dean died,and Elena killed Connor. But why would Klaus go over to Tyler's house, instead of having something at his house?

And how or when was it established that he was up all night partying with Hayley?

I do not know what time Klaus arrive, however we do know it was after Tyler had went to bed,and everyone have left the party beside Chris and Hayley.

From Everybody G.A.L.M.S

Tyler: You’re still going? I drank enough last night and then I slept, which is what you guys should have done.

Chris: We're just paying our respects to Dean.

Tyler: That's great, Chris, but could you pay them at a bar instead?

Hayley: Don't be mad. We’re celebrating our fallen hybrid friend.

(Hayley walks over to Tyler and pours her shot in his mouth. She wipes her thumb across his bottom lip and sticks her thumb in her mouth. Klaus enters the room.)

Klaus: Well, don't let me interrupt.

Tyler: I didn't know you were here.

Klaus: Clearly.

So Tyler went to bed,and woke up and Hayley and Chris was still drinking all night. Tyler indirectly is telling Chris to leave. Than Klaus comes in drinking. Tyler wasn't aware that Klaus was there. I just find it a little weird that Klaus would be at Tyler's house while he's asleep chilling with Tyler's friend Hayley,and the unsire Chris.

TeamBuffy

TeamBuffy

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

So..I was happy to see Elena finally stop lying to herself in this episode and break it off with Stefan. I am kinda over Stefan and his non personality. He was slightly more bearable when he was "evil"(he may want to take a lesson from Angelus), but not by much. Why do writers insist on making these guys so boring. I had to suffer through Angels broody self for 2 seasons, and only forgave him for giving me almost a full season of Angelus and his awesome self. Are we going to have to wait for Paul Wesley to get a spin off before he is allowed to show any spunk?

I am also curious about the quest to find this "cure". What is Stefan planning on doing if he is able to "cure" Elena of her vampyness, and we are back to Klaus trying to keep her on tap her or drain her of her blood to raise his stupid army? She is better off as a vampire....