Catfish: The TV Show (Because People Lie on the Internet)

• Please log in to reply

2498 replies to this topic

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 6:49 AM

Nev calling the guy an asshole and Max calling him a douchebag.

I loved when Max asked "What the fuck are we doing here?" He seemed about ready to clock the guy.

Nev hasn't gotten that mad at a catfish so far, has he? He didn't even get that mad at the woman who played him. That guy was a bad person, and I don't say that lightly. When Jen asked why he even came down, I was like "Because the cameras are there, duh." He won't get it until he has his heart completely shattered.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 6:53 AM

It was nice to see them finally talk back to a Catfish. About time, really. Maybe that's to appease their audience or maybe Max and Nev are getting as sick of it as some viewers are.

I liked that they had Jen speak her mind to the guy. That will help take the sting out of the whole memory. I also liked that they spent time just "having fun in San Francisco" to try to put some good memories in along with the bad. It seemed like they were trying to show her not all men are bad. They kind of seemed like her two big brothers in those scenes. Maybe due to her age and relative innocence. It was nice to see that.

theabnormalnorm

theabnormalnorm

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 8:55 AM

To me, this episode REALLY irked me. Aside from Mhissy (who was a grown adult talking to a grown adult) all the other catfishers have had some kind of twisted love story but this guy was just playing a game. To me, he's like a pedophile. A man preying on young teens on some middle school chat and game site. I was very alarmed. I mean, how far does it take it with these girls? They didn't touch upon anything sexual but in almost every episode there has been some sexting/phone sex part of the relationship. I can just imagine him asking for pics or something. He's more than a Catfish. He's a predator. And he needs some serious help. Wow. I didn't like this one. I wish Max was allowed to deck him. That would be hot. Poor girl.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

Brian is a grade-A asshole. I suppose I should be happy he owned that he was being mean just to be mean, but I felt terribly for Jen. I don't like when people are mean just for the sake of entertainment. When he said he was giving Jen 'a gift' by leading her on, I wanted Jen to come back to the sidewalk to sock him in the face right then and there. He genuinely did not feel bad at all. When he said he didn't 'get' why what he did was cruel, I truly believed him. He doesn't get it.

Jen seemed like a very sweet person. I hope she was able to move on from this.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

He wanted to be on TV, his eyes never really left the camera, and now he is in all his douchey glory.

Yeah, that's why when they asked him why he would want to meet Jen all I could think was "Because he wants to be on t.v.!" Regardless of how douchey he comes off the guy clearly doesn't care because getting on t.v. is all that matters.

Lackluster episode. 

No after show. Does it mean that concept has been retired for Catfish? I think it's for the best because the after show is also a dud.  

bluesnaper1

bluesnaper1

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

Does anyone know what game that Jen and "Skylar" met on

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 12:34 PM

He didn't even get that mad at the woman who played him.

Are you talking about Rose? Even though Nev said they "didn't see that coming", Nev was all "Rose is Kari Ann" as soon as she pulled up, when most people might figure she wanted to be there when her friends met, suggesting that Nev already knew what was up. Usually the catfish has a reasonable motive to get together. Even sociopathic Mhissy was using the meeting to end things and let her victim know why she had been screwing with her. Nev didn't appreciate getting dragged halfway across the country under false pretenses just so this douche could be on TV.

sweet201

sweet201

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 1:04 PM

Are you talking about Rose? Even though Nev said they "didn't see that coming", Nev was all "Rose is Kari Ann" as soon as she pulled up, when most people might figure she wanted to be there when her friends met, suggesting that Nev already knew what was up. Usually the catfish has a reasonable motive to get together. Even sociopathic Mhissy was using the meeting to end things and let her victim know why she had been screwing with her. Nev didn't appreciate getting dragged halfway across the country under false pretenses just so this douche could be on TV.

I read Empress1's comment to mean that Nev didn't even get this mad at his own Catfish, the painter lady who duped him as documented in the movie. He seemed surprised, perplexed, but never angry.

Edited by sweet201, Jul 31, 2013 @ 1:06 PM.

Bean9879

Bean9879

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 1:22 PM

I read Empress1's comment to mean that Nev didn't even get this mad at his own Catfish, the painter lady who duped him as documented in the movie. He seemed surprised, perplexed, but never angry.

Agreed. 

Though it's a lot easier to be mad at this guy--a total creeper who definitely deserved a punch in the (gross, smug) face--than Nev's catfish, who seemed to have a lot of problems in her own life. The resolution in the movie just made me sad for her.

NoWhammies

NoWhammies

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

The difference between this douche and Nev's catfish is that hers arose from very clear mental and emotional problems. She was a tragic figure in so many ways. This guy just seemed like a sociopathic dick. The most I could glean from him was he wanted to have more "game" with women and he did it because he could. There was no remorse or recognition that his actions might bring pain to others. If he did recognize he was bringing others pain, he certainly didn't appear to give a shit. 

Auruor

Auruor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 1:44 PM

Jen seemed so vulnerable and fragile and just YOUNG in a way that belied her 18 years -- I was super disappointed when the lesson she took away from meeting Flat Affectless SanFran Sociopath was "to remember to always video chat with [her] friends [she] meets online" on her sad little alternate reality kids' website and not "to try to meet friends in real life and have more real-world adventures."

I understand the fear of rejection, but I don't think hiding away in an 8-year-old RPG website is doing her any social favors. Hope she blossoms at college and meets people who are supportive and cool and non-bullying.

Agreed that Nev and Max turned into super-protective "big brothers" in a way that we've never seen before. She sort of seemed like she needed protecting.

BRoni82

BRoni82

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

I think this was the worst episode yet. How long did they say they were talking to each other? It wouldn't shock me if Bryan cooked this idea up during the first season to get on tv. I mean the guy lied and said he had feelings for Jen to get them to come film him.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 6:16 PM

Yes, that's what I meant.

Hope she blossoms at college

She does seem like the type who just hadn't found her people yet, and those folks do typically blossom in college. It also seemed like she lived in a really small town so college would open her world up a bit.

onimos

onimos

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 6:28 PM

You know, as I rewatch this (slow day) I have to say that I think Brian is the best kind of sociopath - he's stupid and egotistical. In person, a girl would see right through him within three dates with his whole "I'm giving you a gift by inflicting my pudding like self on you." Whatever, dude. He's no Mhissy who I think was smart, or at least smart enough to play M&N with that sob story. He's no Gladys who wrapped her treachery in "but I'm doing it because I'm concerned about you because you're so vulnerable and damaged." He's not even an Aaron from season 1 (who was one of the worst) but he at least attempted to wrap it up in a "I'm from a small town and so misunderstood!!"

Brian is proud of his weak game and his game is very weak. He'll never "pull" the "quality" of girls that he wants and all the reasonably smart ones will leave him and he'll be left trying to dry hump freshman college girls in clubs when he's 45. Max totally called it when he said he will have a shallow, miserable existence. 

And Nev is smartening up to the catfish's ways when he called him on choosing to hurt the "most special" girl.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 7:01 PM

I think this is one of those cases where the catfisher, Brian, contacted them. Of course they had to play it out in reverse for television, but I have no doubt this guy wanted his shot on TV... you know, getting his 15 minutes was his way to add a new angle to his "game". He probably thinks his phony self-evaluation and reflection and his fake contrition the next day will make him more appealing to the ladies.

Idiot.

theOuterLimits

theOuterLimits

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 7:23 PM

IMO, Nev and Max did not do their due diligence. They knew that "Skylar" was a fake. But why not push him to do a video chat - instead of flying the poor girl half way across the country.

Of course if they pushed for that, it would not be dramatic television.

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 7:44 PM

flying the poor girl half way across the country.

The little paid vacation in San Francisco was the GOOD part.  This is someone who needs real life adventures and now she's had one.  Agree that college is going to improve her life a million percent.

Edited by ratgirlagogo, Jul 31, 2013 @ 7:45 PM.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 8:31 PM

Agree that college is going to improve her life a million percent.

Even if she takes all of her classes online?

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 8:36 PM

Wow. I've only seen this show once before, but I caught the episode with Jen and 'Skylar' this evening and couldn't believe what happened. I live in Iowa and have been through Fr Madison maybe 10 times going to and from Illinois.  It is on the Mississippi and there are some scenic views, but there's not much that's interesting there.

I also hope that she finds friends at college (and is going to a big enough school where there are all types of people). Jen seemed smart and nice and what her father said about her spoke volumes. She's like many girls who don't find their niche, or find others like themselves, until they get out in the world.

As far as that creep Bryan, I just wanted to smack him senseless for hurting Jen and whatever other girls he was talking to. Jebus, talking to girls to improve his 'game.' They should post a video of the meetup all over the internet so girls will be warned about this sociopath.

Having seen Ft Madison, I hope Jen had a good time in SanFran. : )

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 2:44 AM

Does anyone know what game that Jen and "Skylar" met on 

I think some type of virtual world. The Sims Online is long gone, and Second Life mostly is not seen as 'cool' by late teens-college age so it's probably IMVU or InWorldz, would be my guess.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 5:09 AM

I did not think that Bryan was a sociopath or psychopath or any type of "path."  He was just a garden variety douchebag who was using the Internet as his playground.  I have been online since the early 90's and back then most people created personas for themselves.  When I first got on AOL, I was told to create a screen name that was gender neutral, so no one would know that I was a female.  Many people used to hang out in AOL chat rooms and just be someone else, because the technology didn't exist do have webcams, it was easy to do that.

I hope that Nev and Max or somebody sits Jen down and tells her just how serious this could have been.  Bryan was a douche, but it could have been much worse; he didn't ask for her bank account number, it didn't seem like he was asking for naked pictures of her (I hope not!).   The guy gave zero information about himself, the pictures he gave her were fuzzy, he gave her no Facebook page or even a MySpace page; it was sad that Jen fell so hard for someone who she really, really knew nothing about.  To me it was like falling for someone on an AOL chat room.  Did Jen ever send this guy any pictures of herself?

I felt for Jen because it seemed that no one ever sat her down and told her some fundamental truths.  If someone doesn't want to video chat with you, that's a red flag; if they send you only fuzzy pictures of themselves, that's a red flag.  Jen needs to form real relationships with people who can see her and who she can see.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 7:49 AM

Yes, in a way, he's tame. There are men out there who mistreat women for kicks or for 'revenge' at some other woman (just an excuse of course), in physical space. 

Bryan dumped Jen after messing with her mind and making her fly across country; but since time immemorial, plenty like him have left a woman beaten, raped, STD riddled, with an unplanned pregnancy, bank account drained, credit ruined, or dead, as part of their 'payback to all women' or sociopathic 'fun.' Serial dumpers are the tamer of the species. The chilling part is that Bryan may only be practicing with the internet.

Bryan is a dime a dozen; and it could have been much, much worse.

Edited by ScrubMonkey, Aug 1, 2013 @ 7:51 AM.

CaughtOnTape

CaughtOnTape

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 8:52 AM

I thought this episode was probably more realistic then any of the others.  Most of the time the catfishers DON'T give a shit, just like Brian (who was such a fucking tool there's actually no word for it).  When I kept seeing all these people on this show meet their catfishers and there was some "I do love you, I was just scared." story I always rolled my eyes.  IMO, what happened last night is what is the norm for this kind of bullshit.  

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 11:43 AM

IMO, Nev and Max did not do their due diligence. They knew that "Skylar" was a fake. But why not push him to do a video chat - instead of flying the poor girl half way across the country.

It's not part of the show's formula for Nev to succeed in getting a video chat. It's to arrange a meeting. Nev did make a comment at one point that I took to mean he wasn't sold on continuing, but that they had gotten far enough along in doing the episode that he felt compelled to finish it out. Now that catfish have had a chance to see Nev in action, Nev may have to amp up his investigative techniques. It looked like Bryan deliberately made himself immune to the picture search that Nev always does, so as not to be found out by any of his potential victims who've seen the show. If other catfish are learning too, before long Nev's search is going to be a wasted part of the show.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 3:15 PM

I read all of your comments before i finally saw the show, and I have to agree with EndoKE and others that this guy is just a major asshole (I tried to find a non-expletive oriented word, but can't). It doesn't diminish what he did; actually, it makes him bear the responsibility for his actions: he can't blame any personality disorder other than just being...well...a class-A asshole.

The only possible good news is that after this show, I'm hoping that his 'dating' life is kaput for quite a while to come.

It was fun seeing Nev and Max so ticked off, I'm ashamed to admit.

Edited by dreamy, Aug 1, 2013 @ 3:15 PM.

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 6:23 PM

Agree that college is going to improve her life a million percent.

Even if she takes all of her classes online?

Well, OK.  And if she lives at home while going to school that's not going to help her that much either.  Although sadly online/commuter is often today's college experience (and sometimes not even today's cheap college experience), I hope that's not the case and that she goes to an out-of-town college.  Even if it's just a few towns over - this is a girl who really needs to get out of her parent's clutches and reinvent herself.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 9:15 PM

Didn't Nev find it odd that Brian picked the name Skylar whatever it was when there was only one Skylar whatever it was to be found online?  And then when "real" Skylar also met a girl online through a game?  Nev never asked Brian where he got that name?

I'd have asked 'real' Skylar if there was anyone he thought might be using his name.  Most likely Brian met Skylar online and took his name.  

Seemed odd not to have addressed it.

cideroath

cideroath

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

Bryan was ice cold. I hope his appearance on this episode means he never gets laid again! C'mon ladies of San Francisco, don't disappoint me and sleep with this loser. 

Joimiaroxeu

Joimiaroxeu

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

I did not think that Bryan was a sociopath or psychopath or any type of "path."  He was just a garden variety douchebag who was using the Internet as his playground.

Bryan is a dime a dozen; and it could have been much, much worse.

These sound to me like mostly blaming the victim and mostly giving the perpetrator a pass. IMO, just because the behavior may be common it doesn't change the possibility that it's evidence of some kind of serious personality disorder. This man deliberately used the girl, insulted her to her face, was aggressively unrepentant, and practically bragged that he had other victims. He may have done Jen a favor by giving her a harsh life lesson at a relatively young age but I think that was more by accident than intent. As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between this guy and the walking evil that was last season's Mhissy is that he didn't know Jen in his real life.

Again, I hate that this show ends up giving people like a him a place to "advertise" to a national audience. He's not a bad looking guy and I could see plenty of women trying to get in contact with him after the show aired. He was using some code words from the pickup artist community and their manipulative nonsense can be surprisingly affective on women who aren't clued in on it.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu, Aug 1, 2013 @ 11:45 PM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2013 @ 12:17 AM

These sound to me like mostly blaming the victim and mostly giving the perpetrator a pass. IMO, just because the behavior may be common it doesn't change the possibility that it's evidence of some kind of serious personality disorder. This man deliberately used the girl, insulted her to her face, was aggressively unrepentant, and practically bragged that he had other victims. He may have done Jen a favor by giving her a harsh life lesson at a relatively young age but I think that was more by accident than intent. As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between this guy and the walking evil that was last season's Mhissy is that he didn't know Jen in his real life.

Which is exactly what I was saying. Exactly where did I give him a "pass" - or blame Jen, for anything?!