8-6: "Splitzville" 2012.11.12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

56 replies to this topic

Astor

Astor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

When Robin is hesitant to break up with Nick, Barney takes matters into his own hands. Meanwhile, Lily and Marshall are desperate for some private time.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

They spelled force majeure wrong.

beadgirl

beadgirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

I am actually angry at how dumb they made Nick, especially after the last episode. So if you wanted to pull me out of my indifference, writers, congratulations.

I knew Barney was going to take it all back, but what made it tolerable was the looks they exchanged, as if Barney knew Robin didn't buy it and he was ok with that.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

Well that was lame.

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

I actually liked the basketball stuff. The corny team names amused me, as did the architects' first practice. But I agree that Nick was made way too dumb, considering his profession. And why does the Barney and Robin stuff have to be so heavy handed? I swear this show used to be more subtle with the relationship stuff. It's been a month at most since Barney and Quinn broke up, a breakup that caused him to get all creepy with that dog. And now we're supposed to believe that he's been madly in love with Robin this whole time? I could buy it as a bit of an undercurrent, but that's not how that speech went. It's too bad because Neil and Cobie do have good chemistry, but the writing for Robin and Barney as a romance has been terrible for over three years now. It's like the second they got together the first time, maybe even a little before that, the writers just stopped trying for them.

Edited by EverythingIsRen, Nov 12, 2012 @ 9:03 PM.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Lame. Oh, so lame.
Why did Nick have to be dumb when he wasn't before? Oh, that's right, it served the plot.
The only time I laughed, sort of, was at the pictures of Robin & Patrice on their BFF fun day.
Barney and Robin, so bleeping bored. Hate them together anyway, so whatever. Together, not together its all meh to me. I don't buy their grand love story.

I could start reading, watching the news, talking to my family, cleaning, or just drinking more wine.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

Better than last week, although Lily's storyline was just creepy.

What was up with all the yellow in Splitsville?

ddawn23

ddawn23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

I'm guessing it was to keep with the banana theme, since the splits in Splitsville are banana splits.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Or a Mother red herring?

vienibenmio

vienibenmio

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

Oh my God, if you're going to get Robin and Barney together, please just do it already. I do not want to see this dragged out.

DKGoinToNW

DKGoinToNW

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

If the show still planned ahead (and they knew the dessert shop existed more than five minutes before filming started), Barney would have been using Splitzville to pick up devastated women for years now.

ddawn23

ddawn23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

Knowing him, he probably has, even though it wasn't explicitly mentioned in the episode. He's the one who knew about it and knew it was a break-up locale.

DKGoinToNW

DKGoinToNW

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

Knowing him, he probably has, even though it wasn't explicitly mentioned in the episode. He's the one who knew about it and knew it was a break-up locale.

Sure, but vintage HIMYM would have had him flim-flamming there once or twice before this episode (like Ted and Robin having spaghetti clothes a few episodes before we learn of their breakup). Planning ahead is SO 2007.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

I am actually angry at how dumb they made Nick, especially after the last episode. So if you wanted to pull me out of my indifference, writers, congratulations.

Nick being so very very dumb felt like such a copout in order to get to the rehashing (again) of Barney/Robin. Even more than Ted's relationships pre-Mother, every relationship Barney and Robin have with others feel like such a "what's the point"? It's all a waste of time.

Reese2029

Reese2029

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

I liked Nick. Too bad that he had to be stupid to make Barney look like a better match for Robin. The writers are really trying to wedge in that B&R OTP. That romance crashed and burned years ago. Let them move on.

Horny, bi-curious Lily is gross. Marshall was over the top. Ted and his team were douches.

At least Patrice had fun. I don't know why she wants to be BFF with Robin.

Syma

Syma

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:38 AM

This show is just bad.

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

• Interests:Stuff lol

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:45 AM

Agreed that the show is just awful now. Also I used to like lily a lot but she has she been annoying and unfunny for a while now.

Can we please just speed up Robin and Barney too please? We know they end up getting engaged etc. so why do we have to drag it out the entire season. Their wedding just needs to be shown already. It's been hinted at and shown a bit for like 2 seasons. This is getting ridiculous. I don't even care anymore I just want some sort of progress.

FtMyer7

FtMyer7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

So Future Ted told his kids about the time when Aunt Robin & Lilly were really horny for sex in the fall of 2012.

Helena Dax

Helena Dax

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 5:04 AM

I didn't hate it. I loved the ridiculous basketball teams and since I ship Barney and Robin, I'm happy about that too. I just want the writers to do it better thid time. And the line about the gypsies and dolphins being fictional creatures was hilarious.

Edited by Helena Dax, Nov 13, 2012 @ 8:05 PM.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Haven't they used that joke before, though? I swear that I remember a reference to Eskimos or reindeer and someone - Robin, maybe? - saying "Nice try; we all know those don't actually exist."

drazen

drazen

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

The only likeable character on this show is Nick. And they just wrote him out.

Maybe the show ends with his children fading away and Ted talking to a wall in a mental asylum for insane douchebags?

This was one of the better episodes of this season, but the show is so bad now, that's kind of like saying "that was one of the best vomiting sessions of the year!"

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

Do you think they stuck the exercise story in for Marshall because Jason Segel was losing so much weight & they had to explain it somehow? Most new parents I know gain weight.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

• Interests:Urban fantasy and paranormal romance, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, VM, FNL, Friends, MASH, Avatar, House, Farscape, Roswell, Glee, True Blood, Community, P&R, 30 Rock, The Good Wife, Boss, Downton Abbey, Coupling, old SYTYCD, Leverage, White Collar, Jonathan Groff, mutton, chicken and eggs.

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

And can i just say, wow at JS doing push ups with NPH on his back? That was fun.

I liked this episode fairly well, though they went a bit overboard with Barney's speech. But he could explain it away, so we are okay.

And we haven't seen enough of Nick to really know whether or not he wasn't that dumb. Could be he was just a cooking savant.

capricasix

capricasix

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

I swear that I remember a reference to Eskimos or reindeer and someone - Robin, maybe? - saying "Nice try; we all know those don't actually exist."

Yes, that was in "Legendaddy". Robin initially didn't believe that the North Pole really existed.

watcher1006

watcher1006

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

Reese2029

I liked Nick. Too bad that he had to be stupid to make Barney look like a better match for Robin.

The writing is so lame - why can't they consistently develop a recurring character like Nick even if he does have to exit the scene sooner or later? For the sake of the plotline of the day, they decided to "dummify" him, even though we didn't get an indication of his "dumbness" in previous episodes.

The effect of doing this to the show's recurring characters is to make them look like changing props on the set rather than people passing through the lives of the main characters.

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

I thought Marshall's basketball team really missed the boat with their team name. Was something involving a pun with the word "court" too obvious maybe?

I feel like I have so much time invested in this show that I have to stick around to see all the pieces come together. At this rate, though, I don't have much faith that they WILL.

TheRealJanBrady

TheRealJanBrady

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

Do you think they stuck the exercise story in for Marshall because Jason Segel was losing so much weight & they had to explain it somehow?

Yep, that's totally what I thought. Otherwise, it really is distracting how much healthier/more buff JS looks these episodes.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

I feel like I have so much time invested in this show that I have to stick around to see all the pieces come together. At this rate, though, I don't have much faith that they WILL.

I'm holding out hope for a decent ending simply because it seems like had the ending set to go from the very beginning of the series. Otherwise I would've given up on this show a long time ago.

If they're only NOW trying to figure out how to wrap this up, though, then it's going to be an absolute trainwreck.

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 4:25 PM

I enjoyed the episode when there was a genuine "moment" between Barney and Robin. Too bad the stuff leading up to it wasn't as crisp as it could be.

Even though the writing is nowhere near where it should be, my affection for the characters is keeping me tuning in for the time being.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

I swear that I remember a reference to Eskimos or reindeer and someone - Robin, maybe? - saying "Nice try; we all know those don't actually exist."

Yes, that was in "Legendaddy". Robin initially didn't believe that the North Pole really existed.

Yep, which is why the Robin-breaks-up-with-Nick-because-hes-stupid story line makes even less sense. Robin is in no place to talk about how stupid someone else is.