Bada Bling Brides: Jersey Couture Meets Brides of Beverly Hills

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

8 replies to this topic

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

TLC’s Bada Bling Brides premieres Thursday, November 8

Nothing exceeds like excess, as Italian brides allegedly want three things: drama, attention and over-the-top couture wedding gowns.

From TLC

The D’Agostino family bridal shop, Sposa Italia, knows how to deliver the goods to every Italian princess that walks through their doors.

But what happens when this family’s one and only daughter is getting married? Fuggeddaaboutit. Will the First Family of Italian wedding gowns survive the impending marriage mayhem? Cannoli will fly.

I thought TLC had beat the bridal thing to death, but no. I guess there's still room for one more at the table. I can't figure out if this is a series or a one-time special. Did anyone else watch this?

The D'Agostino family got on my last nerve. I guess the mom Lia was sort of ok, but the father Ron, and the daughter Vanessa - ugh. Vanessa in particular comes across as boorish, self centered, and lazy. Three days before Vanessa's wedding, Vanessa's BFF and Maid of Honor, Annarita comes in to choose a wedding gown for her own wedding. Vanessa is miffed that Annarita would be so inconsiderate as to schedule an appointment right before the wedding, because doesn't everyone know Vanessa is BUSY that week? (Busy being the center of the universe. that is.) Annarita's wedding is 8 months away, so why can't she pick a dress AFTER Vanessa's Big Day? There is one scene When Annarita is standing there in a big sparkly poufy gown (clearly made for someone at least 6 inches taller than she is) and everyone is oohing and ahhing. Vanessa, who presumably is the bridal consultant for Annarita's appointment, gets miffed because all of a sudden someone else's wedding is the focus of attention. Right in the middle of Annarita's appointment, Vanessa drops everything, announces loudly that she has something else to do, and sails out the door. If she can't be the center of attention, she's taking her toys and leaving. It was breathtakingly rude, and Annarita, rightly offended, threatens to resign as Maid of Honor.

The one redeeming aspect of this show is the gowns. They give Pnina Tornai a run for her money. They aren't stripperish, but they are every bit as sparkly, puffy, over the top, and decorated nearly to death.

There is a lot of controversy around Vanessa's dress(es). She has a big white ballgown that she absolutely loves. (It's classy!) Her parents want her to change into a second big white ballgown halfway through the reception. The first gown is Vanessa's choice. The second gown is mom and dad's choice, and has to "represent who we are." (Dad's words.) According to Ron,the first dress is too plain (no it really isn't.) Dad wants the biggest, fanciest, most expensive dress around because his daughter is a walking billboard for the store. Basically Dad just wants to show off all that extravagance to all of their friends and relations. Meanwhile, Ron comes across more like a used car salesman than the proprietor of a high-class bridal boutique. There's a weird juxtaposition between him and all of those pricey dresses. This is the first "bridey" show I've seen where the consultants don't wear black from head to toe. It made me realize how much the all-black thing contributes to the overall polish of these places and the people who work in them.

Dress #2 and was made by the in-house designer, Ruslan, and it was so so so bad. Godawful. Having had a few days to consider it, I now think this was a set up. They took a perfectly fine (and enormous) dress and stapled on giant poufs of tulle and dozens of big silk roses, just so they could take all of that stuff off again and reveal the "made over" dress as even MORE beautiful and dazzling than before!

There was some manufactured drama around whether Vanessa would deign to change into dress #2. They show Vanessa ducking out of her reception to sit alone in a room and think about it. Will she, or won't she? Meanwhile, Mom and dad are taking a smoke break out back and Ron is ranting that Vanessa better put on that second dress, because he didn't haul it all the way to the venue for nothing. Cut back to Vanessa. Alone in a room with nothing but two dresses and her conscience. Vanessa thinks and thinks and thinks, and then finally decides to make mom and dad happy and change dresses. Once she's got the new dress on, she makes another grand entrance to the reception, pausing dramatically in the entry while the crowd oohs and aahs. Mom and dad get all teary while Vanessa basks in the glow of everyone's undivided attention. I've no clue where her new hubby was while all of this was happening. I didn't see him, but I did see the whole roast pig on the buffet. Oink and all.

The show is supposed to be all about how this big Italian family runs the store together. As far as I could see, Mom runs the place. Vanessa floats in and out as she pleases, and Ron's only function is to add his opinion (loudly) where it isn't needed, and maybe fluff out a hem or two. It's hard to believe this joint is successful.

Edited by SleepyJean, Nov 12, 2012 @ 4:04 PM.

missbonnie

missbonnie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

Saw it, wasn't impressed and I won't watch it again. I am also not going to watch the show that features bridesmaids behaving badly.

FinePoint

FinePoint

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

Oh, I am SOOO glad someone started a thread on this! The dad was just plain vulgar, no other word for it.

The scene of him and his saggy bare moobs as he gets dressed for the wedding? Did. Not. Need. To. See.

Did the dad not say the f-bomb or some other vulgarity IN HIS SPEECH at the reception????? WTF was that????

And you are correct, and with apologies to used car salesmen everywhere, but his guy was just every caricature of the slick, wheeling-dealing, not quite on the up-and-up kind of huckster you expect to see selling crap in a seedy booth at some carnival.

The custom made dress (the one the parents pushed for)? Was it just me or was the bodice a completely different colour than the skirt?

The whole lot of them came off as a bunch of try-too-hards who are trying to convince us they are this loud, zany, Italian family who just cherishes family above all else. Blech.

hicks964

hicks964

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

I "watched" this but didn't know who the hell the bride was supposed to be. It was on because I was looking for the Say Yes to the Dress reruns. It had to be the most boring show ever produced.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

I actually loved it. 103% staged fake but I found it hilarious. Maybe it is my WASP background but big Italian blow out families just fascinate me.

SposaItalia is actually a name I recognize (which is amazing because I am rather clueless)

lordonia

lordonia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

The best part were the scenes filmed inside their house. I mean, there's rococo and then you have to walk up a few flights of stairs, take the express elevator, strap on a jet pack, and then there's their dining room. So. Much. Gold.

Back at the salon, I liked that no nonsense like "budget" was ever mentioned. It's only money.

onewally

onewally

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

I've watched a lot of really bad reality shows but Bada Bling was in another whole category of awfulness. Made up fake drama with the bridesmaid and will she-wont she wear The Craptastic Dress..The mom...overtanned.. unkempt straw hair...froggy smoker's voice. The daughter...pudgy...lazy...spoiled. Biker Dad poufing the dresses. AND the world's fugliest wedding dresses. There was absolutely nothing attractive or appealing about this family, their salon, or their home. The wedding looked entirely faked and staged for a show. The ridiculous carrying on about the late limo... Here's an idea: get in your own car and drive to the church...if it wasnt faked drama for a fake wedding.

This show was just wretchedly awful.

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Pictures!

Vanessa's choice: The classy dress.
Another.
And Another. I guess I don't completely hate the bridesmaids dresses, but the one standing on Vanessa's left looks like she's about to have a wardrobe malfunction.
Ron's choice: WTF? And this is after they removed the giant wads of tulle.

carolinagirl81

carolinagirl81

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

So glad to see a thread for this show! I'm thinking that this was a one time only special. My guess is to see how many people watch so they'll add more episodes. I didn't really care for this "special" but I did like Vanessa's ceremony dress