21-7: "Off to See the Wizard" 2012.11.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

162 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

From zap2it.com:

The contestants find themselves struggling to stay in sync during a challenge in Moscow; one team makes a significant mistake.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

What the fudge?!?!

Why is the world determined to steal from the Rockers and get them out of the race?? Their taxi took off with their bags, I am almost tempted to think those ratty twins paid him.

It was not as if they just left their bags unattended either, I am just in awe at their luck at the moment, or rather lack of any.

That swimming coach was quite strict, though I think she passed the twins just to get them out of her pool, she looked doubtful but I guess I would be in a hurry to be done with them as well.

Edited by CPP83, Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:03 PM.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Oh, man, that sucks for James and Abba. I can't even criticize them for leaving their stuff in the cab; everyone does that, and often. If the cab driver drove off with their stuff, doesn't that also mean he drove off without getting paid? Why would he do that?

Glad to see James and Jaymes have such a good leg, though. I love their enthusiasm. They're so fun to watch.

Abbie and Ryan waiting for the Beekman Boys makes no fucking sense to me. What kind of stupid pact is that?

Colodie

Colodie

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

"With those other freaks" Hate you. Hate you so much.

Kinda knew that the arrival time didn't really matter. The odds of actually doing something at 4 A.M. in the morning is highly unlikely. Gambling to arrive early... Really isn't worth it.

I'm not sure what I think about the last two teams working together. Well, I'm pretty sure I don't like it. Working together to both be the last place team is pretty much giving up, imho.

I so badly hope they find their passports...

Stella MD

Stella MD

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Think I'm falling out of love with Phil. Last week the Twin Thieves get a big, gross, almost lecherous welcome when they hit the mat, stolen money burning a hole in their pockets, and this week nothing but a stern eyebrow for the poor Rockers who lost their passports? Not even an ounce of sympathy? Gross. Maybe if they'd stolen something he'd be nicer to them.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Moscow seems to be the place to lose your passport on TAR. Remember the mother/son team a few seasons back...he left his Amazing Fanny Pack in a taxi, I believe. Eventually, it was found...but after the teams had left Russia.

I was not expecting the continuation tonight...wasn't watching the clock.

The choices were equally tough - the library vs the swimming. But with patience, the book finding was doable...no special skill involved. The swimming was just about impossible if you basically couldn't swim.

They kind of gave away vital information about who survives in the preview.

MrsJeter

MrsJeter

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

I can't believe the rockers were so stupid. I honestly can't believe they just left all their stuff in the taxi and seemed to have walked away for an extended period of time. At most I've seen people order a taxi to stay and wait for them, but that was just criminally stupid.

Chipmunks are everything to me right now. I liked that they showed some brains by telling twinnies that it was stupid to use the Express Pass on a day when two teams were that far behind. Unfortunately, it was used to help the twinnies and I really can't stand them or Trey/Lexie anymore.

I cackled when Abbie/Ryan missed their flight. Ryan is just a mess. I can't stand the twinnies or Trey/Lexie but there is nothing stupid or juvenile about their strategy at this point. Especially since Ryan articulated the reason later on in the race when he said that it was nice to partner up.

Did I mention I love the Chipmunks. I love that they wore those things around their neck when they went swimming. I love that they showed their abs. And I especially loved that they didn't show their asses, so I can still love them.

Brent really annoys me, but I do sympathize somewhat over the swimming fear.

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Trey reminds me of Jamie Kennedy. I am calling shenanigans on Abbie and Ryan being willing to go as a team with the Beekmans, it seems rather convenient considering what happened to the rockers. I will miss the rockers if they go. You totally ruined it Twins, I did like you at FIRST.

Edited by StinkPill, Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:18 PM.

A1 Jackass

A1 Jackass

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Always keep your passports in the Amazing Fanny Pack and keep the AFP with you at all times!! Argh. I hope it's the Beekmans that go home since it looks like Ryan is struggling academically in the next leg.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Why hello there, Killer Fatigue.

From everyone really except the two leading teams. Producers recycling the roadblock (from TAR6, one of the China legs, it made Hayden quit the race, basically), contestants making bizarre flight decisions, poor thinking about the Express Pass, bald snarking of detours, losing of passports, and about a billion other things.

Also, stupid preview monkeys, though I won't mention exactly how if you didn't watch.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

I can't help wondering if the cab returned after they left for the pit stop. That's happened before, when a cab left, but came back. I guess you need to keep your passport on your person at all times during the race. They should have stayed at the library.

Funny how the previouslies showed nothing about the theft of the $100, when less important incidents, such as Luke pushing Jen at the clue box in S14 was shown over and over again.

Edited by Lamb18, Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:12 PM.

dogfoot75

dogfoot75

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

I really, really loved this episode. I had no idea what time it was until that super-long commercial break rolled around, Ja[y]mes is beyond hot, and whatever, I know this isn't the Amazing Montessori School, but I actually liked that the last two teams decided to go together. It made it a lot more fun and interesting than if they were all really stressed and constantly wanting to know where the other team was to know if they were last.

qeratify

qeratify

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Oh, man, that sucks for James and Abba. I can't even criticize them for leaving their stuff in the cab; everyone does that, and often. If the cab driver drove off with their stuff, doesn't that also mean he drove off without getting paid? Why would he do that?

Yeah, I don't understand this at all. We see them calling the cab company in the promo, but why didn't they call as soon as they noticed the cab driver drove off with their bags?

The pact between Abbie/Ryan and the Beekman boys makes absolutely no sense. Are they planning on just arriving at the pit stop as a group of 4 and hoping nobody gets eliminated (which seems obvious because of the structure of the episode, but still).

I thought the library task seemed significantly easier than the synchronized swimming, I'm surprised James/Abba couldn't figure it out. Even if you couldn't speak the language, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to look for something that's already sorted in alphabetical order.

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Love, love, love the Chippies. Great attitudes and decent racers. And to think they almost went out in the first episode (and I was routing for them to go).

If I wasn't off the twinnie bandwagon last week, this week would have done it. All that whining about the coach not speaking English and the cabbies not liking "brownies". I wish the Chippies hadn't encouraged them to keep trying and they'd used their express pass. Now they still have it in reserve.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Never leave your possessions unattended in a cab!!

Even with the Alliance of Stupidity ™ at the back of the pack, this was probably my favorite episode so far this race. Good locations, one of the more memorable detours they've done in the city, and Passport Gate 4th edition.

Definitely rooting for the Chippendales. They were awesome to watch at the swimming task. I also loved all the swimmers and instructors and the judge all having a great time with the contestants. I will say that it did seem unfair that the twins' instructor spoke no English (I can't recall if the other teams' did or not), but my nagging hatred of the twins allowed me to overlook that beef for the moment.

Also rooting for the rockers, and disappointed that the gods of luck and/or fortune do not appear to be aiding them in the past couple legs. I didn't watch the previews for next week, so have no idea how it will play out, but I don't foresee any miracle that saved the Vegas showgirls back at the s19 starting line in LA showing up again here. What can a cab driver do once he discovers he has a team's bags and sees the passports?? Just turn them into the embassy? In which case I think team Long Hair would be pretty much screwed.

I'm not quite sure what's going on with the Alliance of Stupidity™ near the end. They have to know that no ties are allowed, so who gets to step on the mat first? Are they both planning to fall on their swords since they believe they're 12 hours behind? If either team had watched the show before, they had to know that whoever survives that elimination has a very good chance of being equalized on a flight the following leg, so I lost respect for both teams. Some will say that they lost respect for Abbie and Ryan for not just going on with the race after finishing the swimming, but I think its actually honorable, given the circumstances, that they honor their word, however ridiculous it was to start with. I'd love to see the behind the scenes of this, and how production would react. I'm sure they were not exactly pleased.

Maybe another leg or two of good fun behavior can get rid of the bad Trey and Lexie taste in my mouth from co-conspiring to steal the rockers' money, but them quickly and efficiently solving the library detour was very nice. I'm still leery of them for the moment, but who knows what the future holds.

That said, very much enjoyed the episode. Hope the Rockers can somehow manage to stay in next week!

Edited by TheRabbi, Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:17 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

I don't think karma is getting out of the tub this season. Last week, the Twinnies picked up (not stole, at least in my eyes) $100 that the Rockers dropped, and shared with Trey & Lexi. This week? Trey & Lexi finish in first again, the Rockers lose their stuff (including passports) . . . and as an added bonus, the Twinnies' greatest rivals -- Abbie & Ryan -- are knocked way towards the back of the pack, in a place where they probably helped Rob & Kelley pack for their trip to the safe house.

With the whole "Overacheivers make a bad move" part, I'm okay with it. Ryan needs a little humility. Check that . . . a lot of humility. I don't get where the sudden solidarity with the Beekmans comes from . . . while I know that they can easy outrun Josh & Brent to the mat, they risk falling far enough from the pack to the part where Ryan's perfectionist ways can't make up the difference. Not that I'm having a problem with that, of course.

I do feel bad for James & Abba. They seem like cool guys. If their meltdown is karma-related, I'm thinking an incident involving cocaine and at least one dead groupie factors in. However, they did commit the cardinal sin of not hanging onto their stuff, leaving it in the cab. I haven't read any spoilers, and I'm thinking social media bails them out, and they get their passports back. Also, the Beekmans are toast, because the friggin' promo shows Ryan. Thanks, promo!

Detour: I don't know Cyrillic, but I can't swim at a level where I can do flips and twists. If I'm forced to do that, I'd have to hope the semi-mean and easily amused judge would throw me a bone. I do like libraries, so it's not a bad/worse Detour for me. If the library closed when I get the clue? I'd camp out at the library.

Gotta get Trey & Lexi props for rocking the Library task. Happily, the Chipsters opted for the synchronized swimming . . . and I say that as a hetero male. James & Abba probably shouldn't have bailed out and gone to swim, but I'm guessing it made the day of all the ladies at the pool.

tvgoddess

tvgoddess

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Maybe it's because I've been on swim team and dance team, but the synchronized swimming would have been really easy for me I think. The routine itself was not challenging at all. I can understand though if you can't swim obviously it presents difficulty. But that's why you learn to swim before going on the Race, correct?

I feel bad for James/Abba, but I will root for J&J to win.

BoilerCrazy

BoilerCrazy

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

The "taxi" that the rockers used was unmarked, when they asked the driver I was thinking noooo din't get into an unmarked car!!!

And what was up with the keys already being on the locks? Did I miss something?

MusicaDolce

MusicaDolce

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Line of the night for me was from Jaymes: "We looked like Mama, from Mama's Family." The Chips in floral swim caps doing synchro was endlessly amusing to me.

Abbie and Ryan waiting for the Beekman Boys makes no fucking sense to me. What kind of stupid pact is that?

Agreed. How is that helpful? Isn't the time when you know you're the two last teams the time you least want to run together and most want to do whatever you can to pull ahead? Also, after weeks of his uber-competitive talk, it seemed really strange to me that Ryan was willing to get on board with that plan.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

I will say that it did seem unfair that the twins' instructor spoke no English (I can't recall if the other teams' did or not)

It seemed to me like some members of the teams did, so that was your choose an instructor test.

Kitty15

Kitty15

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

Thank you Chippies for choosing the swim challenge! I'm sure the swim team girls were thrilled too. Too bad for them it went downhill from there for the girls.

At the beginning of the season, I was thinking "oh no, Chippendale dancers". But they have become one of my all time favorite teams ever. Very likeable, appreciative, kind to everyone, really enjoying themselves on the race.

I loved the bow ties and how they have Chippendales written on all of their clothing.

Hate the twins.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Twinnies can't get a cab because they are dark (thier words) .... just go away already.

Cab driver (or not) leaving with the rockers stuff. I do hope the editing monkeys are screwing with us. Hopeful that them out on the street in daylight trying to find their stuff is a good sign since the last two teams were working in the dark.

TiredMe

TiredMe

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

Oh my poor rockers. On one hand, everyone leaves stuff in cabs. But on the other hand, passport boys! Darn, I hope somehow they figure it out.

Swimming challenge + chippendales = Thank you show!

This detour seemed to be the hardest ones in so long- those letters seemed impossible. In the beginning when they were showing Beekman in their interviews they seemed depressed so I figured they were gone. Either them or rockers I guess.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Chippendales. In. Speedos. Thank you show for the best thing to cheer me up this weekend,

But argh! To James and Abba. This was a clear rookie move about the passports. Bad enough about your gear but at least you can keep going last past teams have. But leaving your fanny pack with it? I don't know what the To Be Continued is supposed to telegraph but I don't see a happy ending.

SilentMinority

SilentMinority

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

I found the swim judge strangely attractive. Even her sternness seemed like a thin facade over mirth. I loved the noise she made after the first attempt by the Rockers.

The lack of mention of Moneygate makes me think it will never come up again on the show (whether naturally or by producer fiat is a nagging question).

I think Ryan & Abbie should have just made a "loose" agreement to stick with the Beekmans, knowing that at the end they could probably sprint just a tad faster and hit the mat a couple seconds earlier, just in case. It should have been tempered with the understanding that if one team got really stuck on a task, the other was only obligated to wait so long before moving on.

Trying to hit tight connections at this stage in the race should only be a strategy for a team that knows they aren't as strong as the others and needs to take some risks. Strong racers (Abbie/Ryan) should always stick with the pack for flights that will bunch, and then use their skills to stay ahead of at least a few of their competitors.

I don't know what the To Be Continued is supposed to telegraph

To me it telegraphs that the next leg isn't very exciting.

Chippendales. In. Speedos. Thank you show for the best thing to cheer me up this weekend

The Eye Candy this season has been even more one-sided than usual for us straight men. I want mine!

Edited by SilentMinority, Nov 11, 2012 @ 10:01 PM.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

I found the swim judge strangely attractive. Even her sternness seemed like a thin facade over mirth. I loved the noise she made after the first attempt by the Rockers.

She had nothing on the woman who showed Trey and Lexi into the stacks.

Edited by enlightenedbum, Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:57 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

I don't know what the To Be Continued is supposed to telegraph

To me it telegraphs that the next leg isn't very exciting.

I'm thinking that none of the three teams in limbo will be eliminated.

I know that the Twinnies aren't popular thee days, but I think they were smart in not using the Express Pass, even if the Chippies had to talk them out of it. I actually forgot that they had it, thinking Abbie & Ryan had it. Now I remember they won the chance to win $2 million instead. Would've been more intriguing in the first leg if they had to choose between the two.

SueR

SueR

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I'm not sure that showing Ryan on the next leg means that the Beekman boys were eliminated. I think it's very possible that Long Hairs never find their passports and Ryan and Abby and the Beekmans come in together and are both safe. I hope not, but that's what I fear.

Kitty15

Kitty15

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Poor Lexi, Trey is so not into her as much as she is into him. Silly girl.

blitzen13

blitzen13

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

About the unmarked cab: In Moscow it is normal for ordinary people to pick up passengers for a fare. Everything is negotiable. If the driver actually did take of with the longhairs bags it would be extremely difficult to track him down. I really hope things work out. Leavings bags in a taxi is common enough, but there is no excuse for not having your Amazing Fannypack on you.