10-2: "A Shock at the Space Needle" 2012.11.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

103 replies to this topic

essexjan

essexjan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

JazzieCazzie: The redhead chef reminds me of Darlene from Roseanne, sorry I can't remember the actress' name.

Sara Gilbert.

meepster

meepster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

Finally got to see the episode - glad to see CJ and Stefan back, don't expect Josie to last long again.

CJ said he had just finished a stage at Nomo, wow!

Are we taking up a collection to buy a straight jacket and muzzle for Carla? Maybe earplugs for the rest of the cast would be a better investment. It's bad enough on TV, must be pure torture to be there with her.

Who was the guy who steamed off after the judging saying that they weren't fit to judge his dishes? I just kept thinking, that's what you just signed up for dude. Over and over again.

SoManyWays

SoManyWays

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

Trying to figure out who the redhead reminds me of ... some actress ... anyone?

She reminds me a lot of one of the hamsters on ANTM -- bad weave, freaked out when she got back from the go-sees too late. Some variation of Brittany, I think. Jaslene's season, maybe? They're all a blur now.

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

Mod Reminder: Just a reminder that the episode thread is for discussing the episode. Things that aren't about this episode:
  • Last Chance Kitchen
  • Wolfgang Puck

There is a LCK thread and a Guest Judge thread where these topics can be discussed. Also, if/when LCK starts up, the same forum rule will apply as last season: The Last Chance Kitchen thread is the only place it can be discussed.

Carry on.

msblossom

msblossom

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

I am loving this season of TC! I love all the shots of Seattle and seeing the beloved Tom Douglas on my tv. I am from WA and lived in Seattle for 12 years before moving across country for grad school so I am beyond thrilled for this season.

Loving Kumiko(?). I predict she will be in the final 3. In fact, all 3 chefs on the blue team are standouts.

Stefan is a bastid! However, I admit I am glad he's back. I hated that he lost to Hosea in season 5. Although it suprises me that TC took this long to bring him back. I'd have rather seen him on All Stars. IMO the regular TC format should not include losers from past seasons; that's what All Stars is for. I think Stefan and the Belgian chef will get on well. He's going to butt heads with the Dallas chef and the Okie with the 'stache.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

If they must bring back former contestants, which i hate, I say they should bring back the Jeffries, the cheftants who got booted first from their seasons. It minimizes the knowing how things work advantage and gives someone who may have truly deserved a second chance the opportunity to compete. Bringing someone who even did as badly as Josie is wrong because of the inner workings advantage she has. So there I no way in hell CJ who went pretty far and Stephan who really should have won his season should be there.

Don't know if it editing or what, but I am so tired of hearing Padma wait to hear what others thinks before chiming in with her stupid put downs which piggy backs of off the other judges comments. If you really thought that, why not say so immediately, or are you so unsure about your opinions that you have to have someone else validate your thoughts?

Edited by ChainofFools, Nov 17, 2012 @ 9:41 PM.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 5:22 AM

John the Second Chance chef may end up giving us more drama than ol' Carla before it's all said and done. First he's telling us he lost it all to addiction, then he's saying he'll be having a drink to celebrate after doing well the first round. Uh..Yeah. He's got mean drunk written all over that mug. Let's see how many more rounds before we see it in action. Or those glasses fall in the sauce.

sweetcookieface

sweetcookieface

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

Nooo, not the beautiful gay man! This blows. I will be bitter all season.

Yeah, I just watched the episode and feel the same exact way! Not only was he really cute and nice, but he also had an interesting/diverse culinary background... as an Ethiopian-American, I was especially curious to see how he brought in Ethiopian ingredients. I had a feeling he was doomed when they gave him a bit of backstory about his fiance (even if it wasn't the phone call of doom), but was hoping they'd ax Stefan instead (and this is coming from someone who actually enjoyed Stefan his season). Oh well.

On the other hand, I was very happy with the winner - she seemed to play an integral role in the winning dish for both the quickfire and elimination round, so I was glad she got her due. And I love her quiet competence - such a rarity on reality TV.

FineWashables

FineWashables

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

John the Second Chance chef may end up giving us more drama than ol' Carla before it's all said and done. First he's telling us he lost it all to addiction, then he's saying he'll be having a drink to celebrate after doing well the first round.

Yeah, I thought I was alone in picking up on that. You know, even if he meant a nonachoholic drink -- which really wouldn't fit with the context, but let's suppose anyway -- that "I need a drink" mindset is not an encouraging thing to hear from anyone with an addiction problem.

He seems like a fairly nice guy so far, but I keep noticing that he seems to feel his entire identity is rooted in being identified as the Most Hated Chef. When you want people to think you're happy to be disliked, it reeks of defensiveness. Surely your personality extends beyond that, Chef John. You don't need to define yourself by past failures in order to go forward in life. Cmon, give yourself a break. I'll root for you. Take it in baby steps. First step: those glasses on the head have got to go. Although Fieri's a lost cause -- clearly he's afraid that no one would recognize him without a bowling shirt, those stupid backwards glasses, and the hairstyle that went out in 90's -- you can rise above it, Chef John.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Without checking I think I remember CJ is 6' 8".

Ex Mrs Rao - she can't leave soon enough for me. She's such a nightmare her own knives are attacking her !

Somebody remember to nominate the knife for Best Performance by an Inanimate Object in the next Tubeys :).

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

If they must bring back former contestants, which i hate, I say they should bring back the Jeffries, the cheftants who got booted first from their seasons. It minimizes the knowing how things work advantage and gives someone who may have truly deserved a second chance the opportunity to compete. Bringing someone who even did as badly as Josie is wrong because of the inner workings advantage she has. So there I no way in hell CJ who went pretty far and Stephan who really should have won his season should be there.

Agreed. I don't know how this will all turn out, but if they want to bring people back for a regular season, I'd rather see people who are cut early, within the first few shows. It would be interesting to see how much better those early eliminated chefs will do with a second chance, and more experience than they had the first time around.

Stefan should only be in an All-Stars season, and probably C.J., too.

FineWashables

FineWashables

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

Trying to figure out who the redhead reminds me of ... some actress ... anyone?

It's bugging me too. There's an actress called Connie Rae who's been around forever, and there's a pretty strong resemblance there. My link Danyele -- the chef -- also kind of looks like a younger version of that Ree from The Pioneer Woman, and she sorta looks like a younger Sara Rue, back when her hair was red and curly.

Hope I inserted link correctly.

Edited because no, I didn't insert it correctly the first time.

Edited by FineWashables, Nov 20, 2012 @ 2:05 PM.

zmulls

zmulls

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

We're catching up slowly and just watched Ep 2 last night. My son asked "Why are those three the ones who are back?" and my wife said "Because they're the ones who said 'yes'" Too true.

The difference between Kuniko's being humble, and Beverly, is that Beverley was very eager to tell everyone and the camera how gosh-darned humble she was, and Kuniko actually appears to *be* humble. And forgetful. And unfocused. Very skilled, clearly, but I don't know that she will adapt well when the going gets fast and furious.

CJ was always full of himself and moreso now. I don't know if anything actually happened between him and Padma but there was sure flirtation going on. Her heart looked broken when she told him to PYKAG.

I do notice that John has the maturity to respect the kitchen and respect who he's working with. I liked how the winning team got right down to cases and got to work. John was very respectful of Tom's methods and kitchen in episode #1, and had the ability to *listen* to his teammates in episode #2. I think anyone who has watched the show knows that team challenges are set up to cause conflict and mistakes, and the only way to survive it is to get along with your team. So whether he is feigning it, or making an extra effort to be a good team player, or that's really the way he is, it's effective.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 9:50 PM

Starting to catch up on this show.

So there wasn't a prize for being named the winner? Or is the default just cash?