6-4: "Portrait of a Lady Alexander" 2012.11.05

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

26 replies to this topic

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

DEAD ENDS ó Chuckís (Ed Westwick) continued investigation into his fatherís dealings leads him to an unlikely event with Manhattanís elite, where he hopes to find the one person who can tell him the truth about Bart (guest star Robert John Burke). Serena (Blake Lively) and Steven (guest star Barry Watson) decide to reveal their romantic histories so they arenít surprised by anything, but neither was prepared for what they uncovered. With The Spectator in jeopardy after Dan (Penn Badgley) decided to publish elsewhere, Nate (Chace Crawford) must make a difficult decision to keep it in business. Meanwhile, Georgina (guest star Michelle Trachtenberg) pushes Dan to choose a worthy person to date to boost his image, but he finds himself drawn in a different direction. Leighton Meester, Kelly Rutherford, Matthew Settle and Kaylee DeFer also star. Sofia Black-DíElia guest stars. Matt Whitney directed the episode written by Andy Wolk (#604).

Brinny

Brinny

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

I admit that I kind of got a kick out of Blair and Chuck's storyline having everything to do with Bart Bass's horses. Remember when Chuck compared her to one of his dad's Arabians? Ah, simpler times.

Seriously though, this was possibly one of the most boring episodes of Gossip Girl ever. What did we learn? Lily and Steven slept together (which I'm pretty sure was spoiled in some of the promos), Georgina has the Dan and Serena sex tape of suck and Bart Bass possibly has dealings in illegal oil. And most of that we found out in the last 15 minutes. I feel like the first 3/4 of the show was just filled with crap that we already know: Blair is failing at Waldorf Designs, Dan screwed Nate over, Serena's a liar, Ivy likes to scheme and Nate is horribly, horribly stupid. Gah.

Oh and whatever residual Blair love I had left up and died when she talked about Princess Anne "airing out her pits". Blair said this. BLAIR. Why, show? WHY?

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

I admit that I kind of got a kick out of Blair and Chuck's storyline having everything to do with Bart Bass's horses. Remember when Chuck compared her to one of his dad's Arabians?

Seriously? I likened it to shooting fish in a barrel before and itís true. Theyíre making it too easy. Perhaps theyíll draw parallels to their physically abusive past too.

ĎChuck is the good guy hereí heavy handed as always, spell it out to the audience, pathetic. Is Blair completely isolated now, where are the BS scenes? Itís either Chuck or work.

Obviously, itís all Penn and Leighton(sans dead eyes) but it was a really nice DB scene, out of context, in isolation and ignoring the obvious motives behind it, I liked it. What could have been? Their loss, the shambles they have on their hands now. Itís mind-boggling this is what they came up with, a shortened season and I canít recognise any of the characters. It will meander away until the finale with pointless, guest star filled episodes and it will be another crash bang wallop occ mess the same as the previous finales. Lame. Donít know why I expected more.

kfried

kfried

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

Obviously, itís all Penn and Leighton(sans dead eyes) but it was a really nice DB scene, out of context, in isolation and ignoring the obvious motives behind it, I liked it.

I liked it too and didn't see it coming. I still expect Blair and Chuck as endgame, but I like B & D at least as friends. Otherwise, what a mess. Did all the writers quit over the summer? I thought it was sort of dumb when OTH did that that fast forward by five years in between seasons, but now I am wishing GG had did the same. They could have given us a year of college and then jumped ahead 10 years to the gang as successful adults rather than making us suffer through this weird interim period when they should really all be in school but instead act like 40 year olds who have been lobotomized to act like they're 12.

Sailing

Sailing

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

Remember the good old days of S1 when we thought Serena's secret snuff film was actually a sex tape? Looks like we're going back there, unfortunately. As gross as I find the sex tape, here's hoping it will knock Dan off his high horse. Interviewing girls for arm candy and being so nasty to Serena (though she's no angel either)? He deserves it.

The storyline about Lady Alexander is cringeworthy and terrible, as was the whole obligatory clusterfuck at the stables. It makes other BassIndustries!mystery plotlines look like Shakespeare in comparison. I don't know what the payoff will be, but it won't be worth sitting through this convoluted garbage about horses and oil. Also, the sheikh's daughter, Iman? Cannot act. Go home, little girl.

Sage's stupid little straw hats bug the hell out of me. She and Steven are a huge waste in this final season, sucking up valuable airtime when the mains should be interacting and making reasonable steps to their endgame.

Biggest laugh of the show - Bart saying Nate's a smart man. Literal LOL. That's some great comedy there, writers.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

That was pretty boring. Blair's "pits" line got the side-eye from me also. What the hell was that? Dan's sudden turnaround with the dates and going to stay at Blair's. Why did Blair let him stay knowing he's writing all these tell-alls about everyone? Is she hoping that like the book she'll come out shining? Blair is being wasted in this stupid Bass storyline. Who the hell cares why Bart faked his death?

I wasn't surprised that after all the shit she's talked about Dan (and the sex tape) Serena would then go to him and demand to know what was in her chapter and ask for things cut out. Hey she bitched out Blair and told her they would never be friends again then turned around and asked her to put Sage in the show. Sage, Steven and Serena is such a boring storyline.

I don't understand Nate and any of his actions anymore.

BloggerAloud

BloggerAloud

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

One of the biggest WTF moments out of this was Serena allowing Georgina anywhere near her purse. Seriously, the girl who once roofied you are going to let hold onto your purse and you don't even take the phone out of it? Really?

Kaspangle

Kaspangle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

Blair should never, ever, ever say 'pits.' Rufus should never, ever seem attracted to Ivy. Serena should never, ever, ever hand her purse over to Georgina with absolutely no suspicion. Steven and Sage should never have been on this show.

Dan is obviously going to manipulate Blair for his own gain. He is so horrible.

manbearpig

manbearpig

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

Loved the brief scene of Serena explaining her sexual history to Steven. I quite liked Serena/Ben, as crazy as her brief explanation made it sound. I miss season four (and, y'know, season one...). Also liked Serena's amusement at Sage calling Dan a douche, but they should really dial back on the guest star drama since we only have six episodes left.

Georgina casually sitting down to watch Dan and Serena's sex tape cracked me up. Shame they haven't brought Philip back, their relationship was geuinely funny and one of the bright spots of last season.

I'm a little irritated that we didn't get a Blair/Serena moment...

AzraelKay

AzraelKay

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

Oh, that was one of the most disppointing episodes ever.
-- Chuck claims his father is not into horses, yet, as pointed out here, in S1, he referenced Bart's Arabians. Writers, are you there, don't you keep notes?
--Sage is annoying and I hate everything she wears
-- her father disapproves of Nate [understandably, since N is a spoiled/pothead/idiot/son of a criminal, who is too old and has had questionable sex partners] but within 60 seconds of small talk, decides none of that matters and that Nate is a swell guy.
-- Serena gets over her mother's having slept with Steven in about a nanosecond
-- Blair Waldorf would NEVER say that someone was airing out their pits OR wear that horrendous caftan/turban thing at the end. Again, Writers, don't you know your characters?
-- Nate is so stupid now, it's not even funny. He doesn't even bother to "vet" the list of Lily's sex partners now, but just an episode ago, he was panicked about being sued for defamation over Dan's article; however, since his young gf wants him to come to a horse show so he just drops everything and goes, forgetting all about potential lawsuits.
-- if "Lady Alexander" [re the portrait] showed up so easily on a google search, why didn't Blair do that first instead of going through peerage guides??

Edited by AzraelKay, Nov 6, 2012 @ 2:45 PM.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

Nate is so stupid now, it's not even funny.

To be fair, I think he's always been this stupid.

The actress playing Sage is really doing a fantastic job at getting worse every week. It's amazing really. Usually, with terrible actors like this, I can kind of forget about it for long enough to not take me out of a scene but with her its just so consistently awful.

They need to start rehabbing Dan's personality. I was never a fan of Dair as a romantic partnership but I'd love to see Blair be his friend and for that to bring him out of his funk. Just please for the love of God, don't have him professing any love for Blair or making googly eyes or anything like that. Just have them move on and be friends as quickly as possible.

Edited by MrSarahWalker, Nov 6, 2012 @ 3:00 PM.

NicolaofEarth

NicolaofEarth

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

My oh my what has Gossip Girl become?!
From the few snippets I've seen I have to admire you guys for still having the strength and tolerance to sit through this trash. It's atrocious.

AzraelKay

AzraelKay

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

Nate is so stupid now, it's not even funny.

To be fair, I think he's always been this stupid.

Haha, maybe you're right, it's just so much more obvious now that he is supposedly the editor of a major publication rather than a high school/college student who was merely trying to decide between Blair/Serena/Jenny etc.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how much i love the snarkiness of the recaplet, esp this:

Meanwhile, Chuck figures out that Bart faked his death to -- and if you're even still with us after how exciting all that was, here's the thrilling kicker that will surely send you over the edge -- avoid federal indictment for violating the Sudanese oil embargo.Next Week: It's just a straight hour, presented with minimal commercial interruption, of a PowerPoint presentation regarding the precedents and international historical record that led to the Executive Order (#13067) which brought the trade embargo and asset freeze against Sudan in November of 1997. Narrated by Ben Stein wearing a Bane mask.

Brinny

Brinny

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

I admit that I kind of got a kick out of Blair and Chuck's storyline having everything to do with Bart Bass's horses. Remember when Chuck compared her to one of his dad's Arabians?

Seriously? I likened it to shooting fish in a barrel before and itís true. Theyíre making it too easy. Perhaps theyíll draw parallels to their physically abusive past too.

No, I meant it more tongue-in-cheek. The fact that they had Blair cluelessly wonder if Bart was into horses was ridiculous. Me, personally, I'd remember if someone told me that I'd been rode hard and put away wet like his father's horses. But it's Chuck and Blair, so let's just play it for screwball laughs! It's pretty sickening, honestly.

Serena gets over her mother's having slept with Steven in about a nanosecond

Not only that, but he literally used a variation of "help me forget that I ever plowed your mom" as a pick up line. Gross.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

The fact that they had Blair cluelessly wonder if Bart was into horses was ridiculous. Me, personally, I'd remember if someone told me that I'd been rode hard and put away wet like his father's horses.

Agreed.

One of the biggest WTF moments out of this was Serena allowing Georgina anywhere near her purse. Seriously, the girl who once roofied you are going to let hold onto your purse and you don't even take the phone out of it? Really?

I wonder if Serena intentionally let Georgina copy the video. I don't know why she would, but maybe the writers can invent a reason.

KissedByARose

KissedByARose

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

Just when you think it can't get worse...

Nate's actions were kinda OOC. I don't care about Stephen or Sage. I'm pretty sure there's a million things wrong about the Bart Bass storyline. Then there's: Serena leaving her bag with Geogina. Rufus and Ivy. The idea that Chuck and Ivy can "take down" Bart and Lily, respectively. Blair and that outfit in the end... *shudder*

There's more but I've already given this episode too much thought. Heh.

NicolaofEarth

NicolaofEarth

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

Me, personally, I'd remember if someone told me that I'd been rode hard and put away wet like his father's horses. But it's Chuck and Blair, so let's just play it for screwball laughs! It's pretty sickening, honestly.

EDIT: Nah, actually nevermind I'm getting confused.

Edited by NicolaofEarth, Nov 6, 2012 @ 9:55 PM.

MasalaCurry

MasalaCurry

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

I got a chance to see this episode today. Blair used to be the star of this show, now she is nothing but a desperate Chuck sidekick. Once again at the end she desperately spoke to Chuck about getting intimate and once again she gets shut down. I don't get it - so Chuck is holding off till he finds out what his father is up to? WTH?

I really liked the Dan and Blair moment at the end. Dan looking at Blair while she walked upstairs had more chemistry than Blair running after Chuck and them scheming. I really want Dair as endgame, he is much better for her than Chuck. But I am happy with their friendship provided Dan doesn't screw with Blair. Blair could use a friend after Serena's bitchiness. Old Blair would have sniffed it out of Dan immediately if he were playing her, new Blair is just too dumb. What is up with the writers, they keep going downhill. As for Rufus, I cannot believe he is sleeping with whats-her-name. They have no chemistry, she looks like his daughter.

Whats with all the incestuous relationships? Lily slept with Serena's current BF? WTH? And Serena of course gets over it since she is oh-so in love with this new guy. Whatever.

Blair's dark eye makeup looks horrible, and her hair doesn't look as good in a band as in S1.

Edited by MasalaCurry, Nov 6, 2012 @ 10:36 PM.

xanxus

xanxus

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 2:50 AM

Isn't this season only 10 episodes or so? Why is nothing happening?

QueenoftheDucks

QueenoftheDucks

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 4:56 AM

Isn't this season only 10 episodes or so? Why is nothing happening?

This.

The only half-interesting episode so far this season was the season premiere. But since then, I think these episodes have been some of the dullest in the entire 6 seasons of this show. I had really hoped that this show would go down The O.C who really upped their game for their final season

Ailin

Ailin

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 6:01 AM

They reach a new low with every episode this season...and I thought the royal or the Thorpe storyline was stupid and dull.

I honestly do not understand what the people in charge are trying to tell the audience.
Do they really want to tell that these highly privileged young adults are nothing more than spoiled, pathetic screw-ups, and the one that did not got everything handed over on a silver plate is a frustrated douche? If so, they are doing a pretty good job!

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 7:05 AM

This season has been boring but annoying and this episode was no exception.

I couldn't believe the horrible Golden Girls caftan/headband/slipper outfit they put Blair in. There's no way S1 Blair would have been caught dead in that ensemble. And that brown hat? No.

Speaking of hats, Sage's hat was HORRIBLE. I wanted to smack it right off her head.

After six years of Gossip Girl, I didn't even blink at Chuck's ensemble.

Everyone on this show is so gross now. Seventh Heaven guy still grosses me out. Sage crawling around in Nate's bed is even grosser. I don't care if it's technically legal - she is in high school.

Nate is so so dumb, but I felt bad that the first piece to run in Vanity Fair was about him. I think he, Serena, and probably most people in this world have things in their past they're not necessarily proud of but the difference is that Nate had one of his close friends take all the information he knew about him to publicly talk shit about him. Dan sucks.

So bored with the Bart storyline. The only good thing that came of that this entire episode was Lily telling Bart that Chuck is her son too. Awwwww.

grannygeek

grannygeek

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

I can't even work up the energy to hate-watch this show. Like Covert Affairs.
Or record it and fast-forward through most of it, like Revolution.
It's joined SLAT and Private Practice and one or two more that don't immediately come to mind that I just come here to find out if it's still as unwatchable for me.

KookaMonga

KookaMonga

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 5:32 PM

I watched half of the show, then switched to YTV to watch Victorious. Not sure why they're wasting episodes, when the season is shortened.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

My DVR didn't record this show on Monday, & I didn't even notice I hadn't watched it until today. I watched the episode online, & let me say, I am soooo glad that this is almost over. Nate having sex with a 17 years old girl is just giving me a huge ICK feeling, & WTH was Blaire wearing at the end? Is she channeling Gloria Swanson now?

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

This thread is rather empty. Interest seems to have dropped way off.

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

"""""

It is a reflection to the horrible ratings.

I love that one Review site unceremoniously dropped it from their lineup