8-5: "The Autumn of Breakups" 2012.11.05

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

72 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

From zap2it.com:

As Ted and Victoria consider the future of their relationship, Ted asks Lily and Marshall for advice; Robin is concerned when she learns that Barney's new wingman is a dog.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

There was a time when this show's perspective could be summarized as something other than "Bitches be crazy" right?

I'm immature, but the terrible/lewd cooking show catchphrases were actually funny. I just hated the Ted plot so much. Cannot believe they brought Ashley Williams back for that, again, some more.

Edited by enlightenedbum, Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:33 PM.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

"But we'll get to that later" . They need to stop with that. Its only not annoying if it comes with a gaurantee that Ted will be beat up by a goat.

Now that Robin's boyfriend has a job as a cable access chef I think he and Victoria end up together. Part of would like to see Robin get dumped just to knock her down a peg. I don't think its realistic that Victoria would go after Robin's seconds but the writing is terrible, so who knows.

I liked Barney's schnauzer.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

The only person who came out likable in this episode was Robin's boyfriend, whose name I still can't remember.

Lily and Marshall have become caricatures of their past selves and lord, were they annoying this episode until the last scene.

I am over Barney and his gross, repetitive story lines.

Of course Victoria would ask Ted to give up Robin. Just like Emily did to Ross on Friends, except on this show we know that Robin and Ted aren't end game so it's just annoying that they keep dragging it into every relationship Ted has.

Astor

Astor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

Every single character was a dumb annoying caricature of what they used to be, except for Robin's b/f who never had a personality at all to begin with.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

I was extremely embarrassed for Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segel tonight.

Sucia

Sucia

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

The dog was the best part of the episode. Not its involvement with Barney. Just the dog itself.

The callback to Robin giving up all her dogs made me angry. You can reference the past, writers, but that still doesn't make up for the poor writing in this episode. This show used to be so fresh and witty. What the hell happened?

starlitskyy

starlitskyy

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Poor Michael Trucco. He always gets cast as the throw-away love interest to set the "heroine" up for realizing her true love. Seriously - Starbuck, Penny, Robin - he's pretty much had the same character arc on three very different shows.

I thought the cooking catchphrases were a good throw-away gag, actually. I just wish the A-plot had been better.

Copying plots from Friends must be a new low for this show. Surely its possible to make a relationship with Ted fail without turning the woman into a completely unlikable bitch, right?

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Couldn't Victoria and Ted's road block have been, "I left my fiancÚ to boink you these past five months and you've never told me you love me?"

Nope. "Of course I'll marry you! Oh, but only if you cut off the woman I complained about back when the show was good but then was totally ok with us hanging out with right up until this exact moment."

Does Ted just keep this tux on hand for all of his marriage proposals? We're going on three now, correct?

"Oh, I forgot to mention that Nick had a cable cooking show" = "Oh, shit, did we ever mention in the script what Nick does for a living?"

How did the dog's owner know to call Barney to get the dog back?

Why did Jason Segal agree to be an old black woman? Seriously, don't the actors have the ability (or sense) to say NO to horrible script ideas?

GenieinTX

GenieinTX

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

This show really disappoints me. It used to be so good, and now it's just pointless. We are going through the same storylines over and over and we know they matter at all. Ted and Robin don't end up together so why do we have to keep revisiting it? Why did we have to revisit Victoria? Ted did not grow in any way, and she didn't move the story forward. This show needs to be over, soon.

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Copying plots from Friends must be a new low for this show.

It's definitely not the first time. I don't know why I can't come up with a better, older example (it's happened multiple times), but even last week's godparent game could be considered a copy of when Ross used Bamboozled! to quiz Rachel on how to properly take care of a baby. But hey, at least Victoria and Ted broke up now, before he said Robin's name at the altar.

The callback to Robin giving up all her dogs made me angry. You can reference the past, writers, but that still doesn't make up for the poor writing in this episode.

What bothered me about that was that Robin was dating Ted at the time. She and Barney were not that close then, so there is no reason why he would have gone with her to get rid of the dogs. I know the writers did a 180 a few years ago and decided that Robin and Barney are meant for each other after all, but no need to rewrite history.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

I'm through with this show. NPH Frenching a dog? Really?

SydNC

SydNC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Why did Ted even get back together with Victoria? He seemed to have an epiphany at the train station and realized Victoria was close, but not the one for him. So why did he go on to date her for 5 more months??

Victoria's jealousy over Robin is understandable, but is taken way too far. Even if Ted stopped being friends with Robin, 5 years down the road Victoria would still be worried Ted would run off to find her. She has serious abandonment issues.

How the hell did Brover's owner get Barney's phone number?

And with each new encounter Barney has, it makes it more disgusting and insulting to Robin's character that she would end up marrying him. And Barney's comment "best wingman ever" as he walks into the girl's apartment at the end, watching Robin walk away is pathetic. "There goes Robin, the girl I love. Now let's go bang this stranger."

Nick is the only redeeming character on this episode. He takes a mature approach to his girlfriend having close male friends.

At the rate Ted's search is going, they need to change the name of the show to "How I Went From A Hopeless Romantic to Finally Just Settling On Your Mother Because She Was There".

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

Marshall and Lily were awful. What was that?
Stick a fork in this show already!!

GandalftheFunky

GandalftheFunky

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

I feel bad for every single actor on this show, because at this point they are just performing the world's most shit writing. And they are all GOOD actors. God, this was unbearable.

Reese2029

Reese2029

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

Victoria deserves better than Ted. There was no reason for her return if it didn't move along Ted's story.

She leaves her wedding for another shot at Ted, who has wanted a wife and kids since the pilot. But he's still dragging his feet. She comes back after 7 years, and nothing has changed about this group. They're all co-dependent. There's no point of Victoria's speech about Robin and co-dependency if the writers dropped it--they're going to revisit it again.

Marshall and Lily were ridiculous.

Barney still wants a wingman and chases women for one night stands. I have no clue how marriage will change Robin & Barney for the better. I assume that Robin agrees to an open marriage because he hasn't changed in 8 seasons and because she'll be traveling.

victura

victura

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

Of course Victoria would ask Ted to give up Robin. Just like Emily did to Ross on Friends, except on this show we know that Robin and Ted aren't end game so it's just annoying that they keep dragging it into every relationship Ted has.

I didn't think this plot was believable either. Victoria has never seemed to be the jealous type, not to mention, since Ted and Robin aren't destined to be together, this threat just doesn't carry much weight. I'm really disappointed at how Victoria and Ted were handled this season. I was so excited when she came back and loved her the first time around because they were absolutely charming together. I wish we'd been able to see more of that this time around, instead of being treated to the antics of her strange German ex-fiance (which was also not believable - why was she with him in the first place?) or just merely being in the background. What happened to the dreamy girl who tap danced with Ted, taught him to bake cupcakes, told the amazing stories for game night, and fit into the group like one of the gang? It's like they forgot who she was originally and just relegated her to a background throwaway character. Victoria (and Ashley Williams) deserved so much better than that.

It seems pointless to explore Nick since we know that Robin won't end up with him anyway. Definitely didn't like girl Marshall with an attitude.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 1:26 AM

I thought we killed this "Ted still loves Robin" thing last season? For the love of god, guys.

I'm going to hate it when Robin and Barney eventually get hitched. I like the idea of Robin as Barney's wingman, in between traveling the world and being the best journalist ever, much better. She doesn't need a husband to have a complete and fulfilling life.

Poor James Trucco. Stuck in a thankless role with a character that's as flat as 1-ply.

And poor Ashley Williams. She gets brought back, her character is flanderized into a complete slob, who's apparently the super jealous type even though she's never had a problem with Ted hanging out with Robin before.

Let's just kill this show so Cobie Smulders can move on to SHIELD, NPH goes back to Broadway, Jason Segal goes back to movies, etc etc. I feel for the actors, really.

Gajic

Gajic

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 1:58 AM

That was the worst Marshall plot they have ever done. It was embarassingly, cringinly bad. Poor Jason Segel.

I think they brought Victoria back purely as character assasination so viewers would stol saying Ted should have married her. I can't think of another reason.

At this point I feel like the producers are insulting the fans on purpose. What happened to this show?

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 2:07 AM

Ugh Ted, breaking up with Victoria because she, imo correctly, wanted to you not be friends with Robin? I was with Lily. He shouldn't have done it. I can't see how the Mother could ever put up with the Ted/Robin relationship. But I was over Victoria kind of putting her running out on her wedding on Ted. Hell her own fiance ran out too!

Edited by TiffanyNichelle, Nov 6, 2012 @ 2:07 AM.

nanobabes

nanobabes

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 2:09 AM

Not only was the reference to Robin giving away her dogs a lame throwback to please long-time fans, but they rewrote it so that Robin didn't realize until tonight that her aunt was a lesbian. Even though there was a whole punchline around Robin mentioning she was a lesbian. Something along

Lilly: Oh good, they love dogs!
Robin: ... "they" ?

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 2:16 AM

And they snuck in more Barney/Robin stuff by having him be the one to help her get rid of the dogs. Ugh.

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 2:48 AM

And they snuck in more Barney/Robin stuff by having him be the one to help her get rid of the dogs

I didn't mind this at all. In fact I liked it, anvily as it was, because at least it advanced the plot to where Robin and Barney end up together. And wasn't some bullshit deja hell cul-de-sac of Ted/Robin; or whatever they were randomly doing to Victoria; or even more randomly and worse, what they were doing to Marshall.

And on that note, I know the writing is terrible, and that he has an A list movie star girlfriend now, and is clearly ready to move on to movies himself, but could Jason Segal even try and work on his day job in the meantime? Like a teeny tiny bit? Because the acting all around the episode wasn't great, but his was the worst. I swear I caught him reading off of cue cards for his lines. And I didn't think he was the only one, but I think he was really bad this episode. I get that his characters "plot" was ridiculous and sucked, but like NPH was given any better? It was, literally, a dog of a storyline, and yet NPH committed. Not his best work, sure, but I saw him at least commit to it.

What a terrible, terrible episode of a horrible, horrible season.

Edited by WedgeOfSpite, Nov 6, 2012 @ 2:50 AM.

SydNC

SydNC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 3:55 AM

Not only was the reference to Robin giving away her dogs a lame throwback to please long-time fans, but they rewrote it so that Robin didn't realize until tonight that her aunt was a lesbian. Even though there was a whole punchline around Robin mentioning she was a lesbian. Something along

Lilly: Oh good, they love dogs!
Robin: ... "they" ?

Here is their exchange...

Robin: My aunt is awfully lonely up there, it's just her and her lover Betty.
Lily: Oh that's perfect, they love dogs!
Robin: "They," what do you mean by "they?"
Lily: Uh... people upstate - Oh look it's starting! Shh!

velo

velo

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 4:03 AM

I think the thing I'm most happy about with this season is that Jason Segal is looking a lot healthier than last...

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 4:35 AM

While I think a reasonable argument could be made that Victoria was, indeed, brought back just to be "ruined" so that she would no longer be "the one that got away" so that Ted can marry the true love of his life without any "What if?"s, I think it is more likely that the writers just wanted to give Ted a reasonable placeholder relationship (after Zoey, Ted wasn't going to hook up with just ANYone, it had to be someone really special) to kill some time before the show ends.

Either way, the end result is that Victoria was, in fact, ruined as a character. Not even so much her attitude this episode (which, while I did not like her being "the bad guy," her stance regarding Robin was at least following what she said last season where she told Ted that his then-current friendship with Robin was a bad idea), but everything about her this season, including the revelation that Klaus was a total clown. That she was willing to marry a guy like Klaus makes her look awful. During the whole season she has not had a single likable moment, which is a real shame, as whether you wanted her to be the Mother or not, she was charming in Season 1.

I don't feel bad for Ashley Williams, though. I'm sure she preferred appearing in these episodes than not. Always good to work.

And a big amen to the whole "Jason Segal is sleepwalking through this season" line of complaining. It is pretty embarrassing.

fnftw

fnftw

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 4:59 AM

Why couldn't they just break Ted and Victoria up for the right and truthful reason? Ted doesn't love Victoria enough to move forward with her and build the nest he's been dreaming about since season1. Why did we have to go through the exhausting 'Ted loves Robin' thing yet again? Victoria wouldn't have been ruined, and Ted would realize that as much as he cared for her, Victoria just wasn't the one, like her fiancÚ implied in the train station. I've always felt that Victoria loved Ted more than Ted loved her, it would make sense without the tedious Robin thing. I seriously don't understand why they won't give it a rest already.

I sincerely hope this is the last season of the show.

Meushell

Meushell

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 6:46 AM

At the rate Ted's search is going, they need to change the name of the show to "How I Went From A Hopeless Romantic to Finally Just Settling On Your Mother Because She Was There".

This is why I don't mind Victoria's request. Ted/Robin should have been dropped years ago, but at this point, I feel like he married the mother because he couldn't marry Robin. Instead of making the request though, Victoria should have just dumped him and left.

nilyank

nilyank

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

I think why they keep going back to Ted's feelings for Robin is because he refuses to finally get over her. No, he shouldn't have to give up his friend Robin but she was more important to him than Victoria. I think that is what Victoria sensed especially after 5 months of being with Ted. Something was holding them back and it was Ted's feelings.

When he was talking to Lily and Marshall, he sounded more upset that Robin will never marry him than the thought of losing Victoria. Ted has built up Robin so much since he first met her and idealized her as the One that he can't turn it off even after they broke up and he moved on to other serious relationship. In contrast to Robin, she has moved on from Ted and sees him as her good friend.

Ted is not going to be ready for the mother until he finally realizes that Robin is not the One, that life would be perfect if Robin changed her mind about him, and realized he is happy being alone and not with Robin.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

Part of the reason I liked the "No Pressure" episode so much was because I felt like it gave a pretty firm closure to the Ted/Robin love story. They realized that they'd never be endgame, Ted canceled the "We'll get married when we're 40" pact, Robin moved out, and all the yellow umbrellas walked by. I felt like that tied up all the loose ends while still affording Ted the opportunity to nurse his broken heart and start moving on, and maybe still think of Robin as The One That Got Away.

And then crap like this just re-opens the wounds and tries to build a storyline that's just not there. I would've been satisfied with this episode if Ted had covered the apartment with flowers and candles just to tell Victoria that they weren't going to work out and she should go find someone who deserves her (or Season 1 Victoria, at least).

Really, can we get the "No Pressue" writer back to pen another episode? If not, then I'd rather just watch early reruns until we get to Sweeps, rather than just deal with brand-new filler episodes.