2-6: "Tallahassee" 2012.11.04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

372 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

Emma follows Capt. Hook up a beanstalk in hope of finding a magical compass; a fellow thief wants to make an honest woman out of Emma.

Mod Note:

Please don't post in here until after the episode.

The episode threads move quickly. To make discussions easier for your fellow posters to follow, please keep things on topic. Discuss speculation, previews, and past episodes in other threads. Brief mentions of past episodes that are relevant to this episode are fine, but take serious discussion elsewhere.

Also, please remember to spell things out. It's "Fairy Tale" not "FT," for example.

dizzyd

dizzyd

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Nice episode. OMG at the chemistry between Emma and Henry's dad (didn't catch his name, Jack?). Don't like Hook. Liked the beanstalk and Emma's backstory, just like I pictured them. Nice to know August was watching over Emma. More Lost shoutouts: Man from Tallahassee and Jorge G. Wonder is the bad dreams are courtesy of Cora? No previews for next episode? Is there not one next week?

BryrRoseA

BryrRoseA

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Ooh, good episode! Lots of questions answered. So What does it mean that Aurora and Henry are having the same dream?

DizzyD, my feed showed a preview for an episode focused on Red. It should air next week.

Edited by BryrRoseA, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:02 PM.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

• Interests:Ennui, regret and baseball. And I do love an ellipses...

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

So I'm guessing that the woman in the corner of the doorless red room with flaming curtains is Laura Palmer.

And Henry totally seems like the type of kid who'd have a book of matches on his night stand.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

I was happy to see August. I enjoy looking at his face. Do we know what's in the briefcase he showed Henry's daddy? What was that guy's name? We got "Puket" from the prison guard. Or was it Poquet? Do either one of those names mean anything?

Edited by prodigalchicken, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:05 PM.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Ooh, good episode! Lots of questions answered. So What does it mean that Aurora and Henry are having the same dream?

DizzyD, my feed showed a preview for an episode focused on Red. It should air next week.

I think so. They were both victims of the sleeping curse and over lapped (Henry for a brief time compared to Aurora's 29yeard). We know Regina got the curse from Maleficent, but I wonder if Cora was the one who created it.

Senna

Senna

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

So Henry's dad was a normal conman, huh? (Unless there's something they're not telling us, of course.) This episode did not do much to make August look good in my eyes -- or was he secretly watching over Emma for the past 10 years without ever coming into contact with her? It seems he took the money and ran. At least he did keep his promise to send on the car, and then the postcard ... things should be interesting when Neal re-enters Emma's life and finds out he has a son.

Two questions: What was in August's box? And, what's with Aurora and Henry's shared nightmare? The nightmare actually intrigues me more at this point, since it points to Aurora actually having some relevance.

Edited for some weird sentences.

Edited by Senna, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:19 PM.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

I want to know what on earth was in that box August showed Neal.

I guess the show is shipping Hook/Emma?

There's got to be something Important about Aurora and Henry having the same dream. Are they sharing dreams? Henry saw a girl and Aurora saw a guy in the Red Room (Was I the only one who had Jane Eyre flashbacks when they mentioned the red curtains?)

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

August! I love August to pieces (although I always seem to call him 'Augustus' as in August Gloop) but I felt so bad for Emma. Does this mean Henry's father is not a fairy tale creature? Because that seems unlikely.

I am actually warming up more to Hook, although he is still rather smarmy. Not sure what to make of the red room.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Decent episode. The twist about the unnamed guy from the season premiere turning out to be Henry's father was totally unexpected. Except not really. At all. But at least we have a mystery confirmed. Not too fond of Michael Raymond-James being a onetime love of Emma. Even though the show's attempt at making Jennifer Morrison look ten years younger by just putting her hair in a ponytail and giving her glasses was downright silly, the point is that she was supposed to be 18, and he just looked like an old skeeze with her.

I love Jorge Garcia, but I just couldn't buy him as The Giant. He wasn't acting like "the giant," or at least the way I somehow expected the giant to be like. It just felt like I was watching Hurley talking to little tiny people.

I really, really want to know what was in that box that instantly made BabyDaddy believe the Most Ridiculous Story If You Didn't Know Better Ever.

We got "Puket" from the prison guard. Or was it Poquet? Do either one of those names mean anything?

Phuket. That's where August told Emma he was when time started moving again in Storybrooke.

Edited by Chicken Wing, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:18 PM.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

I felt so bad for Emma. Yes, she was going down a life of crime, but from her perspective, the man she loved used her and left her.

And I wonder what August showed Neal? in that box. I thought that typewriter was in the box. Maybe the book was writing itself?

I was wondering how they were going to rectify early that August said he had left and forgot/ignored his duties to Emma and him interfering here. He got tempted (well, more than tempted) by the money and left again. Before that, I wonder why he didn't approach Emma on his own earlier.

ETA: I thought Emma looked cute in the pony tail and glasses. Younger, but 17-18 young.

Edited by aquarian1, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:12 PM.

BryrRoseA

BryrRoseA

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

What was that guy's name? We got "Puket" from the prison guard. Or was it Poquet? Do either one of those names mean anything?

I think the guard said the package was from Phuket, as in Thailand.

(Was I the only one who had Jane Eyre flashbacks when they mentioned the red curtains?)

Me too! :)

Edited by BryrRoseA, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:11 PM.

kennyab

kennyab

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Loved the episode (ignoring the incredibly awful effects -- come on show, you've been so much better about that this season). Mama!Snow is fantastic. I loved her chiding Emma at the end. Those two are so great together.

I thought Jennifer Morrison really brought it tonight. Young Emma had so much hope. It was heartbreaking, knowing everything that was coming down the road for her.

So, Henry's dad really is from this world. I like that. And I really want to know what was in August's box to convince him of magic so quickly.

Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

I ship August and his mysterious box. What the hell was in it that could convince Neal magic was real? I did notice that Neal didn't deny believing in magic, he just deflected...

I think the show wants me to think Hook is rakish, but I just think he's gross.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Okay, I need to know what was in the box that August showed Neal. Iím guessing that Neal is not a fairy tale character, or if he is, he doesnít remember. I enjoyed Emmaís backstory. I wonder if Neal will look for her now that the curse is broken.

I hope Snow and Emma get back to Storybrooke soon, like before the winter break, please! Hook is going to be looking for more than just Rumpel if and when he gets to Storybrooke, heh!. I wasnít expecting Emma to leave him.

So Aurora and Henry have the same dream? Weird! I wonder what that is all about.

Loved Jorge Garcia as the giant!

toddringersdry

toddringersdry

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

I do not like Neal. I donít think he and Emma had much chemistry. When it jumped to sharing of the I Love Youís I just wasnít buying it.

The August thing is confusing me, too, because I thought he lost track of Emma completely, thatís why he didnít know where she was until she stayed in Storybrook for a week and he felt it across the world.

Also, how in the hell did he know that part of Emmaís destiny was to be alone? Pinocchio was a kid when he came over. Iím hoping thereís a lot the show isnít telling us from his perspective.

Show, youíve got some Ďsplaining to do.

I loved the last scene though. I got chills.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

One more thing. I wonder if that magic bean really does not work, like the giant said, or if it will come back into play somehow.

Jupiter84

Jupiter84

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Loved the episode, answered so many questions.

And yes I think Emma's ex had to be a fairy tale character, he saw something in a box and automatically believe, that doesn't happen. It had to be something from fairy tale land that he could identify, and obviously August knew who he was.

I think August took that money and ran, like he said there are many temptations in 'our world' so he left her twice. I dont blame him the first time, he was just a kid but this time he knew better.

Great episode.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

August - shittiest protector ever. His plan was totally unnecessary. It made no sense. Why not just show both Emma and Neal his proof? Problem solved. August totally sucks. And why get her sent to jail? BTW, did August rip her off, or do you think the money is in the car?

Neal doesn't seem to be Bae - I mean, you'd think Bae would ask more questions about the curse and all. I hope he's not Bae. But Pinocchio didn't keep his real name, and "Baelfire" is a bit too odd to keep. It wouldn't even cross my mind that he could be Bae, though, if not for all the speculation in the fandom.

Knew once we got a description of the nightmare that it must be important. But I have no idea what to make of it. Doesn't sound familiar to me - if it's a fairytale, it's not one I recognize. "Dreams of you own regrets" is not what it sounds like, but I have no idea what it is. It was a lovely scene with Charming (predictably) lit the candle for Henry.

Edited by Tzigone, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:14 PM.

Invader Toph

Invader Toph

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

So I'm guessing that the woman in the corner of the doorless red room with flaming curtains is Laura Palmer.

THANK YOU! I totally got a Twin Peaks vibe from the whole dream thing. Hell, I expected a scene with a small man talking backwards with warped music playing in the background.

As for August, it was nice to see that he was trying to look out for Emma but wow. Could there be a more doucher way of doing it?

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Yeah count me into the group who wonders "what's in the box?", so Henry's dad is just a plain old non magical human. Well at least August kept his promise about the postcard, let's see how dad reacts to a 10 years old son and potential in-laws who haven't aged.

I liked that Emma left Hook chained up, I don't trust him and I am glad she doesn't either. Next week looks good.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Dream - in a box with no windows or doors and burning curtains. At first I was speculating if people who had their hearts removed were dreaming of the boxes the hearts were in. Except I couldn't explain the fire. And as much evil as Regina has done, I can't see her taking young Henry's heart. Except maybe the sleeping curse has something to do with it.

Speculation aside, I'm not so sure I believed Snow when she said the nightmares go away. And the 2nd time it was brought up she seemed to deflect.

Edited by aquarian1, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:16 PM.

MisterGlass

MisterGlass

Loyal Viewer

I think there was a lot to like in this episode. Emma’s criminal back story was interesting, and being turned in as she was explains why she has such distaste for Henry’s father. Neal did appear to love her, felt guilty about turning her in, and tried to provide for her, so for now I think he goes in the redeemable category. He was wonderfully non-committal when August asked him if he believed in magic. Emma said something about Neverland to him, I notice. Still think Bae is more likely.

I guess now we know where August got the money to have a trip to his favorite exotic locale. I thought he was a bad protector before, now I think he’s abysmal. At least he sent the postcard.

I really enjoyed the continuity between Snow, Aurora, and Henry all having suffered through a sleep spell, and the nightmares that follow. I wonder what the shared dream will mean.

I laughed when the first thing they discussed in the episode was how they couldn’t get anymore magic beans even though there is still a bean stalk. It felt like the show wanting to nail that particular piece of continuity.

I found Hook’s desperate push for Emma’s trust annoying. His insistence that he has never lied is a little hollow considering he joined them by posing as a survivor of a massacre his associate caused. I didn’t mind him being stuck at the top of the beanstalk a little longer.

I hope we get to see a little more of Jorge Garcia’s giant.

Edited for typos

Edited by MisterGlass, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:17 PM.

gingercharm21

gingercharm21

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, writing, and running

August - shittiest protector ever. His plan was totally unnecessary. It made no sense. Why not just show both Emma and Neal his proof? Problem solved. August totally sucks.

No, that wouldn't solve the problem in my opinion. She would still be with Neal and that isn't her destiny. Eventually, he'd probably tempt her back into stealing, which wouldn't be good. August doesn't suck to me (not anymore than characters like Rumple) he was trying to make amends for how he screwed up. I think he left the money in the car.

I could see him keeping that much cash, especially if Emma would never know about it.

I think he left it in the car, and when Emma got out of jail, she had a little help getting back on her feet.

Edited by gingercharm21, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:20 PM.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

What was in August's box?

Oh, you so don't want to get me started speculating: Window to the future, maybe?
August convincing Neal to make Emma hate him was reminiscent of Future Max convincing Liz to make Max hate her in Roswell.

So Giant/Hurley was channeling both King Kong and the Lion with the thorn in his paw that the mouse removed.
The first shot of Jorge Garcia didn't have any tiny people to show scale, and since he's such a familiar (to me) actor I immediately thought: He's big, but he's not that big.

So, Henry's dad really is from this world. I like that.

Unless he's Bae. :(
Which would mean Rumple is Henry's other grandpa. :(

Edited by shapeshifter, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:23 PM.

xqueenfrostine

xqueenfrostine

Video Archivist

Good episode. Not my favorite of the season, but I liked it much more than the last two. I think this is the first episode I've appreciated Aurora as more than something pretty to look at (she has such gorgeous skin!). Maybe it's just the power of Ginnifer Goodwin's charm and my love for Mama Snow, but I'm totally on board for the Snow White Troubled Princess Mentoring Program. I'd love to see Snow help Aurora grow into a better character.

I was totally bewildered by August's appearance in this episode. If he's her guardian angel, why was he in Phuket when it came time for the curse to break? I know he said he's bad at saying no to this world's temptations and Neil stupidly handed him a stack of cash, but it seems absolutely crazy to me that he'd spend 2 years looking for her, arrange for her to go to prison (seriously, WTF August?!) and then piss off until his leg sent him a wake up call. I didn't judge him for taking off on Emma as a kid as I thought he was given a huge burden for such a small kid. But after this? I can't defend him.

I loved that Emma spared the giant and got him to delay Hook for her. It'll be interesting to see what he does once he catches up with her.

Loved the two family moments of this episode, which Charming and Henry and Snow and Emma. Both were so sweet. Moments like those are as much of a reason to watch as the fun costumes and fairy tale characters.

What was that guy's name? We got "Puket" from the prison guard. Or was it Poquet? Do either one of those names mean anything?

The wanted poster said Neil Cassidy. Phuket was the island in Thailand August went to.

Two questions: What was in August's box? And, what's with Aurora and Henry's shared nightmare? The nightmare actually intrigues me more at this point, since it points to Aurora actually having some relevance.

An aftershock from the cursed apple tart? We never did find out how that curse behaved in our world apart from making Henry go into a coma, but maybe he still got the nightmare-filled sleep that Snow and Aurora experienced.

Does this mean Henry's father is not a fairy tale creature? Because that seems unlikely.

Why would it be unlikely? She grew up here and the US has well over 100 million normal men. I always thought the idea of Emma finding one of the few people from a different world and falling in love was too improbable to take seriously. If this episode is a sign that the writers aren't going that direction, I'll be delighted though I don't think this episode showed its hand either way here. Neil did accept the idea of magic rather quickly (even before he was shown the mystery inside August's typewriter case) for a Normal. I'm hoping that'll turn out to be nothing but I think they left the door open.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

I think August kept the money. He said something about how this world has temptations and it's hard to say no to them. I could see him keeping that much cash, especially if Emma would never know about it.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Don't like Hook.

Hook amuses me to watch, but I don't want larger doses of him. He's definitely a small-dose type of character to me. I have to admit to shipping him and Milah a little - as bad guys together. Do hope he doesn't kill the giant. So glad turned out how he did - Jack always seemed the aggressor in the story the way I heard it.

I also want to know what's in that box.

Right now I really am over the moon about Henry's daddy seeming to be a normal, non-fairytale guy. I'm so happy about that. And that he doesn't seem to be Bae. I did want him to be an actual bad guy - not good person, too. But my happiness outweighs my disappointment. He did seem a bit of a non-fighter, I gotta say. He totally backed down, didn't offer up any other ways, didn't fight the jail thing. Not enough backbone there - obviously, his kid does not take after him.

I do wonder if the money is in the car. Emma might then take that as a gesture that he wanted to be with her (and he wasn't a party to putting her in jail) and then go to Tallahassee and wait for him for two years before realizing he wasn't coming.

Funeris Nocturnum

Funeris Nocturnum

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

So August promises Neil to look after Emma, but spends the next decade bumming around Phuket and indulging his temptations, whose existence he acknowledges? What a douche of a protector.

cjuniverse

cjuniverse

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

OMG at the chemistry between Emma and Henry's dad (didn't catch his name, Jack?). Don't like Hook.

I love Hook and the chemistry he shares with Emma (esp. this episode) but I doubt it will go anywhere with Henry's father? in the picture. Plus I doubt they would pair those two together.