7-6: "Do the Wrong Thing" 2012.11.04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

93 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

Debra meets with a local crime writer; Quinn gets an offer; LaGuerta continues to dig into the Bay Harbor Butcher case.

Mod note: I'm not time locking the thread, in case there are weird issues with the time change, so please don't post in here until after the episode.

LIamsmom617

LIamsmom617

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Oh Jesus, they really went there. Boo!! Lila all over again. Shirtless Dexter is always hot, but dammit, this was way too predictable.

ECAmber

ECAmber

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

What the fucking fuck was that??

Talk about some inconsistent shit. Ok, I get it... everyone did the wrong thing. Like a damn anvil... I feel like this episode was the wrong thing. I actually wondered at a few points: is this a dream sequence??

"I've been watching her for DAYS! She never changes her schedule." Deduced that from DAYS of observation and you can be that confident?? Seriously??

More free discussions about killing people right under the noses of the cops at the prison.

I'm surprised we didn't get a VO about the orchids she chose.

So yeah, I knew Hannah was the obligatory love interest. But to go from date to kill room to fucking? Great vetting Dex. (as a complete aside - it was pretty hot).

Angel's side story is dragging... I'd rather they kill him off than let this slow, sad slide into obscurity.

The actor playing Quinn is so skinny he has two hollows in each cheek. That being said, I did feel for the guy... sex (rape) camp in Dubai is a pretty solid threat.

When did Dexter tell Deb that he also killed Chase et al... and Deb really put the pieces together on Lumen pretty quickly. That was pretty impressive. But for LaGuerta to make that intuitive leap she made: bullshit. The woman is devious and cunning, but psychic she is not.

And that's just the silly crap off the top of my head... I know there was a lot of other cringe worthy moments that I am missing...

Canadian Bakin

Canadian Bakin

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

His bed *and* his slab. Everyone was right. Funniest scene for me was his dad in the car when he knew Dexter was going after her.

Ednamode

Ednamode

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

That ending was.... WOW.

Dougrhon

Dougrhon

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

In a season when Dexter should be taking as much care as possible, he is itching to get caught, killed or worse. Given that Deb now knows he will kill why on earth would he even consider killing Hannah? Just find some random deserving victims. And how can he let her live now that she knows what he is? I don't even understand what is happening at this point unless he is totally imploding under the strain. At least Harrison is safe. And on a side note it was good just to see Deb smile and flirt again. Her moroseness was starting to be a real drag.

hadapurpura

hadapurpura

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Nope. I didn't like this one bit. Dexter should've just killed her. I fear for the show.

VioletMarx

VioletMarx

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

"Heart disease is the #1 killer in this country. It got me."

Hello writers, Harry killed himself.

Royal Victorian

Royal Victorian

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

In a season when Dexter should be taking as much care as possible, he is itching to get caught, killed or worse. Given that Deb now knows he will kill why on earth would he even consider killing Hannah? Just find some random deserving victims. And how can he let her live now that she knows what he is? I don't even understand what is happening at this point unless he is totally imploding under the strain.

I sincerely hope that we're seeing Dexter implode because nothing else makes sense to me.

By screwing Hannah, Dex just screwed himself. He can probably kiss his tentative alliance with Deb goodbye. I doubt she'll be pleased to learn that, while she's been sacrificing her sense of self to protect Dex, he's been wasting time establishing a pattern of vulnerability and failure in his kills. He hasn't been very good at keeping secrets this season, so I doubt he'll be able to hide this one for long. If Deb learns about his stupidity here, I won't be surprised if she decides to shut him out completely and clean up his mess on her own terms, whether he likes it or not. She doesn't even need to draw on her confused feelings for Dex to get pissed over this. Every time he's in danger now, she's in danger. They were already in a "storm of fuck," but everything just got so much worse.

I thought the exact same thing.

Everything with Batista, Quinn, and Isaak bored me this week. This was my least favorite episode of the season so far. It left me speechless at first, and not in a good way.

CallSaulololol

CallSaulololol

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

""Yea but he overdosed on his heart medication, and he was estimated to have less than a year to live anyways because of heart disease...

Had he not been sick with only a short amount of time left, I don't think he would have commit suicide when he saw Dex during a kill, but rather might have attempted to try to somehow cure him.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

So Dexter really hasn't gotten smarter this season like I thought. Ugh. I don't want Lumen 2.0 or whatever. Blah .

ETA: I'm also sorry to see Quinn be dirty-ish. I've always really liked him and don't like that he's being stupid too over some stripper chick.

chants

chants

Fanatic

• Interests:gilmore girls, listening to music, reading, sleeping, cats and dogs, surfing the internet, drunk dancing. And you can call me Christine, if you want to.

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

I'm not quite sure what to think about that ending. I was hoping he would kill her after fucking her. I really hope this has a point.

I never took LaGuerta as that insightful.

Edited by chants, Nov 5, 2012 @ 1:03 AM.

cerveza

cerveza

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 1:06 AM

Hate. Hate. Hate the ending! So, Dex is now going to be shagging a serial killer of innocent people???!? Huh?? Holy fucking fucknuggets. No.

catherinedebarra

catherinedebarra

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

This keeps getting darker, and I'm leaning towards loving it, in large part because of how awesome Yvonne Strohanski is in this.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 1:56 AM

.... well then. So that happened. Dex sure was stabbing her alright.

I stopped watching Chuck around Season 3, but yeah. Yvonne Strahovski is definitely not just a pretty face.

And Jennifer Carpenter deserves all the Emmy noms.

nikku88

nikku88

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 1:57 AM

Dexter definitely has a type. Sorry Deb. I can't blame Dexter. Could any man turn down a naked Yvonne Strahovski?

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 2:11 AM

In spite of everything, Deb must still be pretty gone on Dex to even hesitate when a charming guy who looks like Santiago Cabrera asks her out for a drink. He's ten times hotter than all her past love interests put together.

It struck me as really weird that Dexter and Deb had the Lumen conversation and Deb letting Dexter and Lumen go never came up. She never acknowledged that she had let them go, and Dexter bizarrely passed up the perfect opportunity to throw it back in her face or at least mention it, since he'd already been outed as Lumen's accomplice. That wasn't the worst continuity issue in this episode, though. That would be this:

I wasn't surprised by Dexter fucking Hannah. It seemed pretty clearly telegraphed. Fairly well-known actress? Check. Hot? Check. Blonde? Check. Sexual innuendo in their conversations? Check. Doing it on his kill table was a bit of a twist.

Could any man turn down a naked Yvonne Strahovski?

Any gay man could, I imagine.

Also, question: I found it obnoxious when Dexter told Debra to lay off w/r/t LaGuerta and that she should go date the true crime writer instead, but I don't know why Debra reacted *so* strongly -- what *did* he say that got her so angry?

Just a guess, but maybe it's because she's trying to help him (at considerable risk to herself and against her own moral principles) and in response, he's telling her to get a life.

Edited by Blue32, Nov 5, 2012 @ 2:30 AM.

DeLux

DeLux

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

Wow, Hannah sure is smart. She even knew how to play Dexter *from the kill table.* I buy that Dexter would be stupid and lonely enough to get with her, especially since there were hints earlier in the episode that he found her attractive (like when he quickly fixed his hair before seeing her). And because he has such a blond fetish. But I don't buy for a second that Hannah's really into Dexter. She told him straight out that falling for one psycho killer was enough for her lifetime, bringing that thoughtful orchid by his apartment was calculating as hell, and now she has totally declawed the threat Dexter was to her without endangering herself at all. I think Dexter just got played.

But that scene on the kill table *was* really hot. I'm thinking we're going to get a lot more of scenes like that, too, because Michael C. Hall hasn't been working those shoulders for nothing.

Anyway, I think there are also some parallels between Quinn's gf, Nadia, and Hannah. I'm wondering how those two stories end up intertwining, because the two women seem sort of similar -- they're surrounded by (or were with) these obviously dangerous men, but they still claim they're not bad at heart...and it's hard to know how true that is.

This is the first episode in which Dexter's VO bugged me. "I can't even come in late without Debra getting mad at me"? What was left on the cutting room floor so we'd have time for that riveting insight?

Also, question: I found it obnoxious when Dexter told Debra to lay off w/r/t LaGuerta and that she should go date the true crime writer instead, but I don't know why Debra reacted *so* strongly -- what *did* he say that got her so angry?

skillz

skillz

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 2:31 AM

The actor who plays "Quinn"... WTF? Is he a meth addict? He looks like a skeleton. His face is so bony, it's scary. Either he's anorexic or he got a drug problem.

myriadphalanx

myriadphalanx

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 3:37 AM

Probably that Sal mentioned that 'your brother said you were single' and then when Dexter mentioned it, Deb put two and two together --- also, at that moment, she thought Sal was plying her for Ice Truck Killer information, not because he actually wanted to date her. (Actually, she had no reason not to believe this anyway when she went out with him, so there's a bit of an issue.)

I really enjoy these little walks down past seasons between Deb and Dexter as she pieces together his past kills --- we had Doomsday and ITK and the Dex/Bay Harbour Butcher is the overriding theme of the LaGuerta storyline, and now we've had Deb/Dex talk about Trinity and now the Jordan Chase gang. The mention of Lumen no doubt tied into Dexter hooking up with Hannah, and now that Deb knows about both Hannah's killings and (inevitably) and she and Dexter are a couple, that'll no doubt clue her in about Lilah.

teevee100

teevee100

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 3:53 AM

The thing that bothered me most about this episode was Deb's reaction to finding out about Lumen. She tries to guilt trip Dexter for having killed Jordan Chase's gang and acts repulsed yet when she watched the videos of what they did to their victims she was utterly horrified. When Deb came up with the two vigilantes theory before anyone else she even said to Dexter that she thought it was romantic that some male was helping the escaped girl avenge what had been done to her. Most of all she caught Dexter and Lumen red handed in the same room with Jordan's corpse and let them go. Her entire reaction in this episode seemed completely inauthentic to her character and the story, so, so disappointed.

The final scene between Dexter and Hannah was great and rather hot but i don't like what it does for the overall story. Based on how Deb has been acting recently i expect she'll completely freak when she finds out about the two of them and i have a hard time seeing how Deb and Dexter's relationship will recover from it. If she ends up turning her back on Dexter and shacks up with sleezy Sal Price it will ruin everything for me, their relationship is what makes the show.

Edited by teevee100, Nov 5, 2012 @ 3:56 AM.

shrunken violet

shrunken violet

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 3:53 AM

""Yea but he overdosed on his heart medication, and he was estimated to have less than a year to live anyways because of heart disease...

Had he not been sick with only a short amount of time left, I don't think he would have commit suicide when he saw Dex during a kill, but rather might have attempted to try to somehow cure him.

The opportunity to try and "cure" Dexter was long past by that point. The only reason Harry set Dexter on his "killer with a conscience" path in the first place was because he didn't believe Dexter was "curable."

The actor who plays "Quinn"... WTF? Is he a meth addict? He looks like a skeleton. His face is so bony, it's scary. Either he's anorexic or he got a drug problem.

I don't like to add more grist to the rumour mill, but people who are HIV-positive often also have sunken cheeks like Harrington's. The actor would have to disclose his condition, though, and there would be concerns about sharing bodily fluids like saliva with the actress who plays the stripper. It's probably not HIV/AIDS, at least I hope it's not, but the symptom fits.

raziela212

raziela212

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 4:54 AM

I usually hate people that cry about a show jumping the shark.
But, Dexter really jumped the shark with that last scene. I don't even know if I will keep watching this season, it was so incredibly stupid...

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 4:59 AM

Dexter having sex with Hannah at the end was a colossally dumb decision of his, but it fits what they're trying to do with his character this season, which is to portray him as some sort of addict. Addicts have repetitive behaviour. I understood why he shacked up with Lila in Season 2 (even though I HATED her) and it's the same thing all over again with Hannah. I at least find Hannah way more interesting and tolerable to watch than gross English titty vampire, heh.

I love the dynamic they're working with re: Dexter and Deb's relationship. For once, they're really going out of their way to show just how manipulative and devious Dexter is capable of being, and because we have a character in the know constantly reacting to that (Deb) it's making us realise who Dexter really is. The way Deb bluntly broke down Dexter's relationship with Lumen was amazing. And he was such an asshole towards her in return.

And I'm so glad that it was Deb's conversation with Angel that prompted her to phone Sal, and not Dexter's cruel 'get a life' comment. I kind of hated him for that - she has to cope with so much shit from him, and he's being really ungrateful in return.

Speaking of Sal, Santiago Cabrera is one of the most attractive men I've ever seen on television, but I have a bad feeling about him. He seems sort of sleazy, and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be one of Hannah's future targets. Considering that he's currently a love interest of Deb, well, he's likely not long for this world. Sigh.

I am finally starting to appreciate Ray Stevenson as Isaak. He does add something tense to this season.

I don't like to add more grist to the rumour mill, but people who are HIV-positive often also have sunken cheeks like Harrington's. The actor would have to disclose his condition, though, and there would be concerns about sharing bodily fluids like saliva with the actress who plays the stripper. It's probably not HIV/AIDS, at least I hope it's not, but the symptom fits.

I feel the same way re: the rumour mill, but I remember reading some HIV rumours about Desmond on an old Youtube video (which I think has since been removed). The guy looks really ill. He should leave the show for his own sake, and Quinn has become more or less dead weight anyway. Also, not to go too off topic, but I thought HIV could only be transferred from blood-to-blood contact? Or by sharing needles? Not by saliva?

Mama No Life

Mama No Life

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 5:38 AM

This episode was a hot mess. Even though the ending was steamy, it was stupid of Dexter and I don't like it when he is stupid. I started out enjoying the discussion at Deb's about Lumen, but got that queasy feeling again when she got her panties in a wad because he suggested she date Sal Price. I took it as her being reminded once again that she has feelings for him that he doesn't share. And the shit with LaGuerta? Please. The woman has never been that smart in her life. While I like that the stuff with Jordan Chase came up, that took a leap of logic that she isn't capable of. I hope she's on the table sooner than later.....

lovemytvshows

lovemytvshows

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

This episode was a hot mess. Even though the ending was steamy, it was stupid of Dexter and I don't like it when he is stupid.

Word.

My reaction to this episode: WHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY?????!!!!

It's one of the show's more jump the shark moments and as of right now I'm holding out some kind of hope that theree will be a payoff with this Hannah McKay storyline.

Does anyone else think that Sal is not long for this world? Either Dexter will off him to protect Hannah or maybe she'll do it herself.

hadapurpura

hadapurpura

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:52 AM

Well, she has feelings for Dexter, so having him tell her to go out and date the writer instead must have pissed him off, in addition to the other reasons exposed above. Dexter was being an idiot in that scene (in that episode, actually), but I thought at least part of his cruelty came from the fear of having her involved and in danger like with Sirko. The problem is that, indeed, it's now her ass on the line as well, and anything stupid he does (like sleeping with Hannah) will put Deb in danger as well.

- did Debra just offer the writer sexual favors in exchange for info?
-They're setting Batista up if the "dead just before retirement" storyline, aren't they?
- Hannah better NOT get pregnant.

Edited by hadapurpura, Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:55 AM.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

Dexter's not killing people for revenge for their families or to get them off the street he kills because he likes killing, his code is just an excuse to kill someone. Hannah killed innocents but the joy she feels when she kills is the same as him.

Hannah was playing him as much as he was playing her. The blood splatter flower, the way she talked about filling an emptiness inside of her and her telling him to kill her while on his table (and she's a blonde). So his fucking Hannah is him finding a kindred spirit.

I'm liking this season, save for the whole Quinn/stripper story. Dex has a worthy advisory in the Russian/British Terminator and he's fucking a would be victim. His world is unraveling and he's pulling more and more away from his code. He's getting closer to realizing he's no different than the people that end up on his table.

Edited by Sakura12, Nov 5, 2012 @ 9:34 AM.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

The characterization of Harry intrigued me in this episode (and thus far this season). Harry's behavior is always some kind of extension of what's going on in Dex's brain: Sometimes he's very cynical, sometimes he's almost malificent. These days he just seems dumb/naive. Can't piece it all together right now, but there's a connection between Harry seeming overly naive and Dexter making foolish choices.

The Angel storyline does make me sad. I really hope it's a red herring. The scene between him and Deb was very poignant and well done by both of them. On a superficial note: Jaime eats weird! The way the actress was using her utensils was very strange and awkward.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

Don't know why he didn't bone her for awhile before killing her. Also he needed to kill but is sex going to stave off the hunger? Has it in the past?

No nudity from either Hanna or Nadia. At least compensate for the bad plot and dialog!