AS2-3: "Up Your Aerosol" 2012.11.08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

58 replies to this topic

terris2030

terris2030

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

Regarding the Lumberjacks: I loved their vests, but I was extraordinarily distracted by the bizarre finger-wave or whatever it was that the man on the left had sitting on top of his head. What was that?

It reminded me of the Lollipop Guild munchkins from Munchkinland.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Although, am I imagining things or do some cities actually designate some buildings as "OK" to spray paint? I seem to recall reading that some city had actually designated certain buildings as legit targets for "taggers" because they were going to be torn down anyway. Maybe I made that up.

The building they were visiting in Long Island City NY is actually designated for that purpose. I don't believe the building is about to be torn down, either, but I could be wrong about that.

There's a big difference between graffiti artists, who spray-paint defined images and words, in carefully planned designs, and are well-versed in a range of spraying techniques, and taggers, who deface property (and sometimes the walls of real graffiti artists) with scrawls.

They recently designated a worksite protective wall down the street from me in Brooklyn NY as a graffiti art spot, too. Unfortunately, only a couple of artists showed up and the rest were taggers, the neighbors complained, the wall was painted over, and the designation was removed.

I also think Suede's idea could have worked, but if you're going to stitch on paiettes, they've got to be perfect flat circles, not poorly cut ones that curl at the edges.

He was cutting through bunches of them at once to save time, which pretty much guaranteed an awful outcome. Part of the creative process is adjusting your design to the time and budget allotted. Bye, Suede.

Yes! Only gigantic.

Edited by designing1, Nov 9, 2012 @ 3:02 PM.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

YES! Thank you, I couldn't figure out what seemed so familiar about them, but that is exactly what it is.

dot cotton

dot cotton

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

Laura Kathleen seemed to be acting sometimes in this episode. Her complaining, etc seemed a bit off to me. As if she was playing the role of the bitch of the season. Seemed a bit put on.

leocadia

leocadia

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

And I am on board with everyone hating Laura Kathleen. Her voice is incredibly grating.

I think they should stick LK in a room with Kenley and have a pretentious nasal-off.

Personally, I felt Emilio's jacket seemed too bulky, Ivy's "art" was too simplistic and Anthony Ryan's was borderline boring. I would have (grudgingly, cuz I'm not a fan) given the win to Casanova.

RazorbladeSmile

RazorbladeSmile

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:TV! and record collecting

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

Wow, I rarely comment here but I had to pop in and comment how I absolutely screamed last night - only because I used to be friends with Jeffrey Costello, one of the judges. I knew him in the early 90s and I had no idea he had achieved any level of success like this. He also gained about 300 pounds. He used to be suuuuuuper cute and I had a mad crush on him. He had great taste in music too. Oh well, we all get old... and fat.

PixiesSix

PixiesSix

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

I can see why the munchkin lumberjacks were the judges for this challenge. I'd so rather they continue to have judges like them on, who know what they're talking about, over random actresses.

nannycakes

nannycakes

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Why was Cassanova not in the top????

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 12:06 AM

Yes! Only gigantic.

I had to laugh when one of them said, as part of his critique of someone's (Kayne's?) unflattering design: "Even I don't want to look big!" And then I had the unkind and and un-p.c. thought "Then perhaps you should lose a little weight?" Their designs on their own site are very cool, though.

I'm glad Emilio won - I thought his look was great, and he's my all-time favorite PR designer. I really like the way his looks combine sophistication and chicness with a street vibe. This design was really striking, but in toned down colors it could easily have worked for a different challenge. I was disappointed that we didn't get to see the dress with the jacket completely off though.

I didn't really understand the attempts at "drama" this episode. I'm no fan of Laura Kathleen's personality, but what's the point of just telling us (via Kayne) that she's being a bitch to everyone, rather than showing us? If we're not going to see it, who cares?

Edited by azzurro, Nov 10, 2012 @ 2:00 PM.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 12:25 AM

it's too grandma/Halloween/witchy/whatever (Kors),

You forgot 'mother of the bride'.

I was surprised at how much I liked Kayne's look. I thought the train was striking, although I agree with the judges that the black velvet ribbon on the skirt made it look like it was color-blocked rather than graffiti. I'm always surprised when I see Kayne in the workroom with his little square reading glasses on - he looks like Santa without the beard or maybe an elf.

Dragon Suplex

Dragon Suplex

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 12:25 AM

Anthony Ryan's insane look is reminding me of Jerry Horne from Twin Peaks.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 4:46 AM

I hated Kayne's right up until it hit the runway. Then all I saw was Mermaid Mondrian. The cynic in me says he doesn't have a clue who that is, but the rest of me is giving him the benefit of the doubt, and thinking well played, pageant boy.

Taking it solely on the pieces on the runway, and not on past experience or personality, I'm glad Emilio won. Taking it on pieces on the runway, or on personality, Ivy can leave any time now. Otherwise, I would've traded Uli's safe spot for Kayne's, and the right person went home.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 6:00 AM

Andrae's dress shape was boring and the art part looked like a 1988 watercolor Jessica McClintock. His model's hair was insane. Why would you ever want your model to look like Helena Bonham Carter in the Harry Potter movies?

I liked Uli's use of colors and the pattern she created but the weird shoulder things made it look like a Star Trek costume. The hair and the Spock eyebrows definitely contributed to that, so at least it was a deliberate choice. I love hearing little snippets of Uli's life story, like that she left Germany as soon as the wall came down because she was afraid it would go right back up.

Kayne thinks his model looked like Kate Middleton? In what way? Because she has long brown hair? I guess I should be glad to see that Kayne of Many Colors is definitely back, but good lord. All those colors made me think of a circus with clowns over here! Prancing ponies over here! Trapeze artists up here! Just way too much going on.

Laura Kathleen - the hemline is "a little short"? If this were a real runway show, everyone in the first three rows would have been staring at the model's cooch. I hated the paint splatters on the neckline and the hair. I didn't like the print either. The colors looked too muddled and dirty. I think the embellishment on the back was a good idea in theory, but it ended up looking messy and tacked on/unrelated. The way the top (shoulder/chest) was attached to the bodice didn't look good either. The sleeves should have either been longer or shorter. They looked like cap sleeves that were slightly too long and pointy.

I liked the cut of Anthony Ryan's drses. I didn't love the print which read a little too much like zebra. But there's no graffiti in the South? Interesting. I agree with the Lumberjack Judge who said his dress read young looking.

I didn't love Casanova's dress but I didn't hate it. Definitely in the middle of the pack for me. I wasn't crazy about the four different patterns being patchworked together on the front, but ehhhh.

Emilio's design was a great use of color. Very vivid on the runway. I didn't like the model shrugging off the shoulders of the jacket though. That looked stupid. He was smart to use the stiff fabric for a jean jacket. Good way to deal with the fabric ending up stiffer than he thought it would be.

Suede's dress was fug. The print itself looked dirty, but I could tell when he was painting it that it would look that way. Pairing it with a black top just made the painted fabric look even greyer and dingier. I hated paillettes on the top too. That made the top look like a kindergarten art project. The handkerchief hem on the skirt made it look messy. Overall, not one redeeming thing about it.

Althea's was okay. I don't think she necessarily needed to go brighter with the colors, but it definitely needed a little something more. The black panels she put on the sides of the skirt made it look like the model was wearing an oddly cut tunic over bike shorts.

I liked Ivy's concept when she was sketching and talking about it, but I hated what she actually created. The writing made it look cheap and tacky. The cut out in the back was unnecessary, and I hated the sheer white skirt.

I didn't like Joshua's either. The three prints were discordant. I know not everything has to be matchy matchy, but it doesn't need to be clashy clashy either. The orange/yellow/black on top with the purple/tan peplum and the white/rainbow skirt was just too much. By the way, I didn't hear Laura Kathleen complaining that Joshua had THE NERVE to use purple and yellow too. If you look at the left side of the peplum section, it looks very similar to what she was spray painting during the segment where she bitched about Althea. Newsflash: using color opposites is not your idea, Laura Kathleen, so kindly STFU.

TeresaDee

TeresaDee

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I can see why the munchkin lumberjacks were the judges for this challenge. I'd so rather they continue to have judges like them on, who know what they're talking about, over random actresses.

Thanks so much for the link, PixiesSix! Beautiful.

MousieBrown

MousieBrown

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

At the beginning Carolyn was wearing that Stella McCartney ugly paisley cutout dress that has been worn by half of Hollywood. Hate that thing.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

What is with all of these staged announcements?? Laura Kathleen (ugh) at Mood, Emilio announcing the time to go to workroom.Sounds so forced.

In the absence of Tim, I guess they have the contestants play Time Keeper.

Definitely agree with Emilio's win. I thought it was spectacular, although I had flashbacks to Seth Aaron's denim ensemble in the NYC challenge. Runnerup for me would go to Anthony Ryan or Casanova - I thought Casanova's fabric was absolutely to die for, but the actual shape of the dress was bland.

Carolyn always looks so damn tense! I'm hoping she loosens up a bit, because I want to like her. I find it strange that it's so difficult to fill Heidi's shoes, or even just be a halfway decent host.

Suede is positively exhausting, and I cannot be happier to see him go, even if it's 2 weeks too late.

Edited by Oholibamah, Nov 10, 2012 @ 7:20 PM.

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Looking at the Rate The Runway photos, I think Casanova's is really lovely. It should have been in the top over either Anthony Ryan or Ivy. I liked Ivy's jacket but not the skirt (the white was boring), and AR's was nice but just OK, for me (I liked the blue but I wish he had used it more interestingly).

And I think Laura easily had the worst. Suede's dress at least had an idea behind it, and I thought it was very pretty, if somewhat amateurish in execution. But Laura's was just a messy, muddy, ugly non-design.

I actually liked a lot of the looks for this challenge. It did seem, though, like many of the designers wound up with more of a tie-dyed or watercolor effect, rather than a graffiti effect, in their prints.

Edited by azzurro, Nov 10, 2012 @ 11:52 PM.

Bebecat

Bebecat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

Who would have thought Heidi would be such a tough act to follow? But she really is; she is blunt, sometimes funny, brutally honest with a great accent to boot. I wonder if even she laughs at her replicas on All Stars.

I just looked at Rate the Runway for a better look. Althea's fabric looked like Flintstones and the neckline was just weird. Laura Kathleen's was WAY too short in the front and basically pointed to her business. I liked Andre's dress, but the hair on the model was so distracting, I never saw it the first time. And Anthony's dress just was not original, and certainly not "wearable art" unless I took that to mean slightly avant garde and that was not the case.

Edited by Bebecat, Nov 10, 2012 @ 8:19 PM.

mezzomom

mezzomom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

Kayne thinks his model looked like Kate Middleton? In what way? Because she has long brown hair?

The editing monkeys strike again. Kayne tweeted during the show that his quote is actually about next week's model/garment.

Hated, hated, HATED both Ivy's misbegotten attempt and LK's half-healed bruise of a cooch dress. Here's hoping that next week LK and her obnoxious voice, overdone eye makeup, and bitchy personality will be gone from my screen.

On the other hand, I enjoyed the challenge. So refreshing to see so much color! I've often wished for a challenge where black is banned - or maybe black and white both. Just picture the angst. Heh.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

Ha, I would LOVE that. Imagine designers like Elena crying into their fabric at the thought of not using black or white. I'd also ban grey and really dark navy, dark green, dark purple, etc. so that they had to use bright rainbow colors.

It really says something that Laura Kathleen is acting like such an entitled bitch that Ivy, IVY OF ALL PEOPLE, is coming off better. I found it hilarious that Kayne was trying to make his advice to Laura sound nice and as though it was only the other designers that were offended by the stuff she'd said when he was talking shit about her right before she walked into the room.

I don't think Laura needs to hide her background or not talk about it, but she does need to learn how to discuss things like that without coming off as snotty. I don't have a problem with people who were lucky enough to be born to parents with money, but there's a difference between talking about your childhood/family experiences and opining about how rough it was when you outgrew your pony (not that Laura told a story about ponies, but just for the sake of argument) or how rough it was on your delicate skin when you were wiping your ass with $100 bills instead of toilet paper.

GreenMomma

GreenMomma

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

The Lumberjacks have judged before. Can't remember which season as they all run together in my mind. But, I remember them because they were dressed the same last time they judged also.

Chevron

Chevron

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

Yes! You may be a well-dressed actress but you have nothing of value to add because your stylist picks out all of your clothes.

So far I'm happy with the first three eliminations. When I saw who all the designers were they were the top three that I wished weren't on an all-stars edition. Now some of the other designers need to step it up considering this is an all-star series.

Bebecat

Bebecat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

I would like to be friends with Kayne.

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

I would have (grudgingly, cuz I'm not a fan) given the win to Casanova.

I thought he deserved the win..It was beautiful.

Please God, get rid of Laura Kathleen and then Andre. I will eat my vegetables.

I cannot warm up to Emilio. His arrogance cancels his talents in my eyes.

Love Kane, I can overlook is tacky tendencies because he is so cute and funny.

Aerosol Art? When I lived in NYC we called it grafetti and HATED IT. Art form indeed. ~snort~

Edited by Patsy Stoned, Nov 11, 2012 @ 6:01 PM.

dietplum

dietplum

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

I always thought Carolyn was beautiful, but her plastic surgeon has not been kind to her. That chin implant is doing her no favors. If they hadn't told me it was Carolyn Murphy, I never would have guessed it was her. I imagine she'd be stunning if she had let herself age naturally.

SoManyWays

SoManyWays

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Aerosol Art?

Art is not defined by the medium. Which is not to say that all graffiti is art, any more than all oil paintings are art.

annetteFHorn

annetteFHorn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

Was it Laura Kathleen who said Althea ripped off her concept of purple and yellow, or vice versa? Either way, whoever it was, you didn't invent purple and yellow. Also, if you use complementary paint colors such as purple and yellow and allow them to mix, you get mud. Which may or may not be what you're going after. To me Althea's use of brown looked purposeful, and LK's looked like an accident.

ETA: I see from the recaplet that it was in fact LK who accused Althea.

Edited by annetteFHorn, Nov 12, 2012 @ 5:26 PM.

NeedTVRehab

NeedTVRehab

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

My 10-year-old daughter liked Suede's design the best. I thought it was cute and in the spirit of graffiti, not a winner, but not the worst of the bunch. LK's and Althea's were just prints and didn't resemble graffiti at all. Andre had an interesting take, although it was weird. At least he didn't do another sheer jacket this week. Emilio's was my favorite. I don't understand how Ivy's was so "well-tailored" according to the judges. The blazer looked too loose in the front, and the cutout was just weird. The words looked tacky IMO; they would have looked better with the POW! graphic effect instead of just words spray painted. I didn't get superhero, I just got, "Bad word graffiti in a rough neighborhood." Until you realize what the words are. Still, I did not like Ivy's. The idea behind it was interesting, but the execution confused me. What superhero runs around in a blazer? How does that look dynamic? The superhero takes off the blazer to reveal the superhero costume. I think if Ivy's model took off the blazer, she would be "Super Topless Lady!" POW!

Lady Cathcart

Lady Cathcart

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

…if you use complementary paint colors such as purple and yellow and allow them to mix, you get mud.

That was my first thought too, annetteFHorn, when Laura Kathleen expressed such excitement at “discovering” purple and yellow, and then accused Althea of copying her.

Painting 101: if you mix complementary colors with care, you get elegant neutrals. If you mix them without care, you get mud. Which was exactly what happened to Laura Kathleen. Even without the wonky hemline and the inexplicable piano fringe, the colors of her fabric sunk the dress.