Farm Kings

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

fonfon

fonfon

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

I happened to catch this show on in the middle of the night (we've got a teething baby in the house) on GAC. I'm not a regular watcher of GAC, so it was totally by chance. And I am hooked.

A family of 9 boys, one girl, one mom, in Pennsylvania. The oldest kids (and the mom) own and run a farm, two farm markets, a bakery, and go to area farmers' markets in the Pittsburgh area. Apparently the parents divorced, their dad owns a farm and is their competitor. The youngest son has Down Syndrome and they just did an episode about fund raising for Special Olympics in his honor. The mom cooks, bakes, and grows cut flowers.

Hope the "reality tv fame" doesn't ruin this family, because they all seem like such good people. A good show to check out.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

Thanks for turning me on to this show, fonfon - I just caught a couple of reruns and am hooked, too. On a completely shallow note, I jest love me some shirtless (or sleeveless) farm boys! Mom looks pretty darned good for having whelped 10 kids, too.

fonfon

fonfon

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

New episode tonight!

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 6:23 AM

I started watching this awhile back and really enjoy it. I buy community supported agriculture (CSA) shares to support a local farmer (and get yummy fresh produce and fruit) and also spent time gleaning this summer on behalf of a food bank. So between that and this series I'm learning a little bit about what farmers go through.

KYBlonde

KYBlonde

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

I just happened to stumble across this too since GAC is showing it now. Wow, those are some fine looking farmers! Whew!! And I have to agree with walnutqueen. Mom looks awesome for having 10 kids. It's obvious where the boys get their good looks.

ETA: What I wouldn't give to have their energy levels. It's like they all have high levels of hyperactivity disorder (from my very laid back perspective anyway).

Edited by KYBlonde, Jan 3, 2013 @ 9:41 AM.

darcy123

darcy123

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 11:14 PM

I really like this show. It's a breath of fresh air from all the other train-wreck reality shows. The family seems to really work well together. Lots of good looking men in that family!

KYBlonde

KYBlonde

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 2:25 PM

Tonight at 8 on GAC. Cannot wait to see the farm boy eye candy!!!

ETA:

Watching the hail damage show. Are we REALLY sooo very spoiled as a nation that we won't buy nicked up vegs?? Are we such perfect little snowflake princesses that nothing less than perfection can pass through our digestive tracks?? Babies are starving to death all over this planet and us Americans demand a discount on hail damaged food. Wow. I wish I had been there to scoop up the discarded but otherwise perfect vegetables.

Edited by KYBlonde, Apr 11, 2013 @ 2:26 PM.

Peggywatgig

Peggywatgig

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

This show looks more scripted as it goes along.  Dan does look good dressed up.  I'm sure Joe already approved the commercial before Dan ever started.  I think it was a good idea to do a commercial.  I wonder if it ever aired? 

They sure put a lot of pressure on family members to stay on the farm.  There is not much emphasis on pursuing individual dreams.

I wish Lisa would publish more of her recipes.  I doubt my making chicken salad or tomato basil pie in my home in Louisiana would make much of a dent in their sales.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

I always feel bad for Dan. I know family is a major tie for all of them but he's 23 and seems like he's dying for a chance to live his own life for a bit of time. It seems like such a taboo subject with Joe breathing down his neck and the whole issue with their father abandoning the family.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 5:16 AM

New episode tonight - AND an all day marathon starting at 7 am today ...

happy holidays, indeed!

dad2two

dad2two

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

I pass the bakery and store every time I go to see my in-laws. I'm going to have to stop in next time I go up and give them a try. I live about 45 minutes from their shops. I'll post once I try their baked goods. And yes, the eye candy is what keeps me coming back. P.S. This is MOM2TWO.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 2:14 PM

MOM2TWO - baked goods?  Allrighty, then!  :-)

I had to convince myself I didn't want a Freedom Farms calendar for 2014 ...    ;~)

KYBlonde

KYBlonde

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 7:13 PM

Me too walnutqueen! I mean I am ONLY interested in this show because I am deeply invested in farming......

bwahhh - sorry I could not keep a straight face for over two seconds long!  (rawr on the farmer eye candy!!)

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 7:20 PM

Oh, yes, KYBlonde - I am passionate about organic farming, too.

ETA: I'll be sure to post something of substance after the new episode airs, lest they rename this thread: "Farm Kings: Eye Candy for Dirty Old Ladies"

Edited by walnutqueen, Dec 19, 2013 @ 7:23 PM.

KYBlonde

KYBlonde

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 7:39 PM

Oh, yes, KYBlonde - I am passionate about organic farming, too.

ETA: I'll be sure to post something of substance after the new episode airs, lest they rename this thread: "Farm Kings: Eye Candy for Dirty Old Ladies"

walnutqueen you say that like there's something wrong with it!  LOL *wink*

dad2two

dad2two

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2013 @ 2:28 PM

It's not the best time to get fresh produce in this area, so I have to stick with something that I know will be fresh. I'm going up on New Years day. If my in-laws get home in time on the 31st I'll have them pop over to get something. However, I really hate to miss out on a chance for eye candy.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

I suspect the produce isn't the only thing that'll be fresh, mom2two ...  ;-)

I must say I do not care for the narration (yes, KYBlonde, there was a narrator!!!) - it is an unnecessary addition.  I do like watching the older brothers mentor, teach and encourage the younger ones.  They seem to have a really good family dynamic going on, and the younger boys look like they are flourishing. (ahem).

Still wishing I'd bought myself that calendar for Xmas ... sigh.

dad2two

dad2two

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2013 @ 2:33 PM

walnutqueen if I see any of the kings, I'll take some pics and pm you. I know if I go in and they are there, I may be accused of being fresh myself.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2013 @ 4:18 PM

Crap, It's winter and they won't be sleeveless ...

Oh well.  I'm fashioning a drool cup for myself, just in case you see them, mom2two.

Screw the sugarplum fairies, I'm dreamin' of flannel shirts and tight cozy sweaters.