Wreck-It Ralph

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

36 replies to this topic

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2013 @ 8:14 AM

I got to see this last night at the discount movie theater and really thought it was good. Has Jane Lynch done voice work before? Because Calhoun was my second favorite character, right behind Ralph. I loved the part where she was flashing back on her boyfriend saying she was a dynamite lady just before she kicked Felix out of the cruiser. Does anyone know if there will be a sequel, because I'd definitely pay to go see it.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

Just saw this last night. I thought it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was the guy who played Felix- I didn't feel like he did ANYTHING with his voice to differentiate him from the Kenneth character. Part of being a voice actor is being someone else. If you sound just like another character, that is all I'm going to think of. (I saw Rise of the Guardians at the same time- Alec Baldwin didn't sound anything like his 30 Rock character, for instance.)

The only thing I didn't like was Vanellope proclaiming herself President. Um, that's not how Presidents work.

I also knew King Candy was evil, but didn't see him being Turbo. Totally saw the 'beacon' at the end. Those mentos were a Chekovs gun if I've ever seen one!

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 8:41 AM

I finally saw this movie and loved it. I used to be a total Disney fangirl, seeing every movie as soon as it came out in the theater. Then at some point in the early 2000s, I just gave up. The Disney movies had been going downhill for me and The Emperor's New Groove was the last one I saw in the theater. After that, I saw a few of their movies at home. I was never a huge Pixar fan, so although I saw the first two Toy Story movies, I mostly just waited until they came out on video/DVD to watch them too. I recently looked at the list of recent Disney and Pixar movies and realized that there are about a dozen I still haven't seen. The ones I have seen I haven't been wildly enthusiastic about. I was excited to see Brave because a friend of mine was involved with it, but I thought it was just okay. I felt the same way about Brother Bear and The Princess and the Frog.

Despite my extremely unenthusiastic response to most of the animated films I've seen in the last decade, I decided to start slogging through a bunch of the Disney and Pixar movies I still hadn't seen. Most of them I wouldn't bother watching again, but I was vaguely optimistic about Wreck It Ralph because a friend of mine (who is a 30 year old guy without kids) said it was really good.

So I was really surprised and happy that I loved Wreck It Ralph so much. Maybe it's because I have lowered my Disney standards so much lately, but I really enjoyed this movie. It was visually very interesting. I loved that they made all of the different lands look so different. Hero's Duty had very sci fi look while Sugar Rush looked like what I would have imagined heaven to look like when I was about six years old - colors and candy and shiny and yummy! The attention to detail was great. During some of the Sugar Rush scenes, I found myself looking at the sprinkles in the background or the pink drapes in the castle because they looked so good.

I was not what I would describe as a gamer, but of course I grew up with video game culture so I knew about Pac Man, Street Fighter, Q-bert, Mario Bros, etc. but even the games/characters I wasn't familiar with were fun to see (I had no idea that a game like Tapper existed). And the new games were done so well that I thought they were games I just hadn't heard of.

I'm torn on the actors because on the one hand, they were perfectly suited for their characters. But on the other hand, they sounded exactly as they always do. Yes, Felix sounded just like Kenneth Parcell, but Calhoun sounded exactly like Sue Sylvester and Vanellope sounded the way all of her characters sound. Sometimes I found it distracting but for the most part, they did a great job casting for the parts. The only person who sounded totally different was Alan Tudyk who did an amazing Ed Wynn impersonation. Some of the smaller cameos I didn't recognize (like the two cops) because they didn't have many lines but many of the smaller characters still had very distinctive voices that I recognized right away (Rachael Harris, Dennis Haysbert, Edie McClurg, Mindy Kaling). Sometimes I wish they would cast actual voice actors though. There are so many of them and it would probably be less distracting to have unknowns than constantly playing, "Who is that voice?" during the movie.

I saw that Disney has an app with a few of the games in the movie, but I really wish they would put out a Sugar Rush game. That seems like such a wasted opportunity for them to cash in and make a lot of money. It seems like something they would have planned to do so it seems weird that they didn't.

Cobalt Stargazer, the director said he has some ideas for a sequel and that many of the cast members said they would be interested but they haven't officially started work on it yet. I think there is a lot of potential for a sequel. Seeing all of the different video game characters interact was really fun (the Bad Anon meeting was hilarious) so I'd love to see more of that.

One of the other reasons I loved this movie was that like Toy Story and Monsters Inc, it showed another world that could exist when we aren't looking. I would have loved that idea even more if I'd seen this as a kid.

LOVED the Paperman short, so I'm really glad that was included on the DVD. Kind of disappointing that there weren't any other special features included with the DVD (I got the regular version, not the Bluray pack). But on the plus side, the previews were good. I usually skip them but I decided to watch them this time and got to see trailers for Monsters University and the 3D version of The Little Mermaid (still disappointed that they decided not to release that in the theaters but at least we get to see it on DVD, I guess).

ETA: Can't believe this movie list both the Oscar and the Golden Globe to Brave. I found the animation and story of Wreck It Ralph to be much better. But what do I know? I'm not allowed to vote for either so my opinion obviously doesn't count!

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Apr 6, 2013 @ 8:44 AM.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

Since "Tangled" Disney is pretty much back on track - I guess mostly because they solved their inner-house war.

The Oscar for Brave was a consolation price for someone who honestly deserved the price for earlier projects, but was actually ousted of the the Brave project early on. Well, now she has the award, to share with someone who certainly doesn't deserve it and for a project I doubt she is really satisfied with. But that's the oscars for you. At least Wreck it Ralph got the Annie.

PowerHouser51

PowerHouser51

Just Tuned In

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 4:30 PM

Any fan of 80's-90's video games will love this movie.  It's one of the best Disney movies I've seen in the last 10 years. 

I didn't see the "paperman" short beforehand, though.  Was that in theaters only?

Rockstar99435

Rockstar99435

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 9:29 AM

It was shown before the movie in theaters. It's on the DVD in the bonus features.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 2:24 PM

Speaking of the Blu-ray, I just watched the deleted scenes (ie rough drafts of scenes with recorded dialogue) the other day.  I'm glad they were cut out of the movie as they were different and nowhere near as good as the finished product.