2-5: "Q and A" 2012.10.28

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

188 replies to this topic

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

It just made me think that Carrie is only as convinced in Brody as she needs to be, but not fully. It makes me hope she doesn't really have her shields entirely down.

If by shields you mean her barriers to emotional vulnerability, I just don't think that's going to be a problem now.

Her (admittedly deep) attraction to Brody is countered by a patriotism that is at least as deeply ingrained in her. She loathes Brody for what he wanted to do to this country. Before, she only strongly suspected him of being an enemy of the state; now she knows it. Her feelings may be complicated, but the loathing is always going to be a part of them.

Edited by Milburn Stone, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:39 AM.

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

I mean, one moment Carrie is confessing her adoration for Nick, then at the end of this episode she is telling him, matter-of-factly and truly without agenda (I believe) -- "we'll use the affair as our cover." There's something... inevitable here. The work, and the possibilities, sure, but America over all. I firmly believe Carrie would die for Nick but she would still kill him for her country. It's so human, so sad. Which is twistedly awesome because it is all about selflessness and about doing the right thing even if it rips her heart open. In the beginning she was all, "I love you, talk to me." In the end, she's all, "You will go back to your life and I will pretend you love me for the good of our country, which is the way it should be."

Wow, love the way you put that, Paramitch. Carrie is in many ways sacrificing herself in this episode. Sacrificing her ego to Peter and Saul, who are listening in on the receivers, and to Brody when she admits she wants to stop lying to him about her feelings; sacrificing her cover of "being over it" to Brody when it's clear she's really anything but over it, over everything.

And is she sacrificing her happiness, too? By telling Brody she wants him to leave his family to be with him, even though she knows it's an impossibility? By immersing herself back into this mess almost voluntarily, for the good of her country sure, but also perhaps to the detriment of her sanity and well-being? I so want to believe that Carrie is playing Brody, that she wants him to believe how so in love with him she is. That the smile in the car when he took her hand was a signal of "Good, believe it." And at the same time I'm also drawn to the doomed love (or something like it) these two seem to share.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

And this is why it is hard for me to enjoy an otherwise amazing scene between two very talented actors. Instead of watching the interrogation scene and being at the edge of my seat, I roll my eyes because I know where it is headed. When Carrie and Brody are together, the show becomes too much of a love story between these two people rather than the complex thriller that I fell in love with. JMO and all that.

Agreed. I honestly hope they don't go there again. It almost ruined the show for me in the first season and I almost didn't come back this season.

I don't agree that it needed a hookup to win awards. And as a viewer, whether a show wins an award isn't my focus. I was appalled at the time of the hookup and still am. I don't see what they have as romantic so I am not demeaning the overall relationship. My interpretation is just different and it works for me.

Edited by angelita100, Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:12 PM.

CaseStudy

CaseStudy

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

I still think without the Carrie-Brody dynamic Homeland would just be a decent spy thriller. It adds this weighty dynamic that is yes melodramatic but also pretty powerful. Remember that "The Weekend" gave the show a whole new level of buzz and acclaim. Without the Carrie-Brody hook-up this show likely doesn't have all those awards and a growing fan base.

I don't even find their relationship all that intriguing, at least not in the will they get together or not sense. What I think is interesting is how they affect each other, how they swerve each other's motivations and decisions, how they imbue into each other's lives to a degree that neither comprehend. I like the cause and effect of their relationship not the romance. I think deeming the Carrie-Brody dynamic as merely a romance/love story is under-serving that relationship and its impression on the series.

Edited by CaseStudy, Nov 4, 2012 @ 5:21 PM.

Polyhymnia

Polyhymnia

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

I am usually completely anti-shipping and very much not about them turning every show into a geometric love figure but what they are doing with Carrie and Brody really works in this show, at least so far. That episode had such rawness and vulnerability from both actors/characters that it was both a treat to watch and awfully unpleasant.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I always like seeing Carrie being successful in the face of all the obstacles around her (in marked contrast to Brody, who has risen like a shot - so far - despite being a traitor). It was semi believable that she would actually "break" Brody (though it was way too fast) as it is well established that in a Good Cop/Bad Cop situation, it's frequently the release granted by the Good Cop that makes you drop your guard (or so I've read). Unfortunately, they rather boxed themselves in by setting a ticking clock (They could have had Brody conveniently "taking some time to himself" following Jess kicking him out and then having the CIA kidnap him while he was away - ultimately, they'd have to release/charge him, but it would have allowed them more time to build a believable timescale).

Strikera0 - Considering that the latter scenario would give Brody ample reason to join the CIA full time

That would be a total shark jumping moment for me. Carrie rejoining the CIA is implausible enough, but at least she's still (despite being fired and having ECT) loyal to her country - Brody is a traitor. Doesn't mean they can't use him, but he certainly shouldn't be involved in any intelligence activities (other than his own dealings with Abu Nazir).

meandthemoon I am really curious to see how Dana's storyline fits in with the larger story. It is too prominent for it to not fit in somehow.

Hallelujah Our natural reaction is to assume the worst of this plotline, but I have (blind?) confidence it will tie in to the overall storyline.

I wish I did. In early Seasons of 24, I actually believed TPTB had a plan and weren't just pulling stuff out of their asses, until they admitted that after S1, that it was "too difficult" and they just made it up as they went along. And Brody's daughter is totally Kim Bauer.

Hallelujah - I could see a lot of "How was Brody even in that room in the first place?!"

....which I would like. It would allow a "What sort of amateurs are the Secret Service to allow him to take a phone in there!?" by the CIA (since inter-departmental rivalry is a big thing IRL).

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

In early Seasons of 24, I actually believed TPTB had a plan and weren't just pulling stuff out of their asses, until they admitted that after S1, that it was "too difficult" and they just made it up as they went along.

I never watched 24, but it's obviously a much more high-concept show. Each episode covers 1 hour in real time. 24 episodes in a season. Plus the demands of network television are a lot different than those of paid cable. For the most part, I have not felt like the actions of the characters were "out of the blue" - they usually feel organic or at least in-character.

I can imagine how difficult it would be to not only come up with 24 episodes worth of material--all in one day!!--but the timeline is much different on Homeland. They're not afraid of compressed timelines or of time jumps from episode to episode. I think this allows for more logical and also creative freedom, if that makes sense.

Perhaps I'd be more weary if I had seen 24 (the bad stuff), but I was as impressed with the first season of Homeland and with this first half of season 2, taken as a whole, than I have been with any TV series in a long while (maybe ever). I think that the writers have earned the benefit of the doubt.

mdem

mdem

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Don't tell me it's wrong, I won't listen.

You're not Paramitch. Well, I do feel the same, my heart is going to C/B, but hey do love P for the reasons you stated, and I want him to stay on the show. Should I say that I don't mind to see plenty of triangles in the middle of a terrorist storyline (well as long as the storyline has something to offer)

easy e

easy e

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

(I don't think it's a coincidence that Brody's experience in this episode basically mirrors that of his time with Abu Nazir in miniature. Kidnapped, interrogated, broken down with physical and mental pain, and then built back up to serve some 'good' purpose.)

Yeah, I noticed that, too. You had the bad cop with the physical torture, which presumably he has a lot of practice dealing with. Then, the good cop comes in and offers love.

Shortly after he was stabbed, Brody gave Carrie a look as his hand was getting bandaged. It made me think of her comment to him last year (regarding Afzal Hamid), "We don't do that [torture] here."

I found it interesting that Brody was willing to admit to Quinn that he came back to the US intending to kill the VP (isn't that admission a death sentence, or at least life in prison?), but wouldn't admit to wearing the suicide vest. When he answered the question about the tailor, he admitted he had one, but he kept repeating the line that he wasn't wearing one.

I wonder if Estes already had is dinner with Roya, and how he's going to react when he finds out Brody named her as someone in Nazir's network. I also think that Brody isn't going to be too pleased to find out that Dana went on a date with Finn (and that's without the hit-and-run).

I've noticed some parallels in episode structure between last season and this one. In both seasons, Brody and Carrie bump into each other in episode 4. Episode 5 features an interrogation. DOes this mean Brody and Carrie will hook up again next episode?

Edited by easy e, Mar 17, 2013 @ 6:38 PM.