2-5: "Q and A" 2012.10.28

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

188 replies to this topic

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

Couch Potato

• Interests:Sewing, reading, yoga, performing arts, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

TV Guide:

Q&A
Brody finds himself imprisoned again, only this time it's in the United States. Meanwhile, Carrie's rash judgment call at the hotel results in Estes trying to keep Jessica off their trail; and Dana's relationship with Finn heats up as their date night takes an unexpected turn.

Oni

Oni

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

Wow, Dana.

Brody's a double agent now, this won't end well.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

Danes' Emmy is not going to be lonely on the shelf for long.

AnalogHeart

AnalogHeart

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Geez oh Pete! That was intense!
I'm not a terrorist but I almost confessed too! I could feel his relief at being able to finally able to tell the truth. But yeah, none of that can turn out well for anyone.
Excellent episode proving why this show deserves every single accolade it has received. Whew!

Edited by AnalogHeart, Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:05 PM.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

I agree that this is not going to end well, and that is why this show is such a magnificent tragedy. Everyone can tell that things won't go well but they have to play their parts anyways.

If they come up with some way of actually keeping Lewis on the show for next season without it being incredibly cheesy I will be even more impressed with this great show than I already am.

MightyMac63

MightyMac63

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I still think after that interrogation, Brody is not giving up everything to Carrie and the CIA. At first I thought
he was not going to give up the name of the reporter/courier (but he did).

Another outstanding episode by Claire.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

The one thing I didn't like about the episode was Quinn and Saul explaining Quinn's plan. Have a little more faith in your audience, Homeland!

Lilac4381

Lilac4381

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

Danes was magnificent again. I truly believe Carrie is the only person who was going to get through to Brody. Did she get through 100%? Not sure but I will say DL actually played Brody was eons more relaxed and open in that scene with Jessica. He has finally cracked. His eyes as Carrie vocalized how he has ended up in the present? Phenomenal acting and heartbreaking for the character.

Loving Peter and the game he played as "bad cop" because he knew he had hit the brick wall with Brody and Carrie needed to be ushered in. Dexter was pretty good tonight but then Homeland airs and blows it out of the water.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

What I found particularly fascinating was the way that Quinn and Carrie both went about their interrogation in basically the same way, just with Quinn doing his bad cop style and Carrie doing hers good cop style.

To wit, both of them had important information that they withheld while letting Brody dig himself a hole. In Quinn's case, it was the tape that he used to destroy Brody's positions. In Carrie's case, it was the fact that she KNEW that Dana called Brody to talk him out the bombing. She used that to also cut through his bullshit.

A very cool piece of juxtaposition.

Oni

Oni

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Dexter was pretty good tonight but then Homeland airs and blows it out of the water.

Yeah, you noticed that too?! I actually liked everything coming together on Dexter tonight but this show is just way more interesting.

Purejinks

Purejinks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

I felt a tinge of pain everytime Carrie said something about loving Brody or his family. I thought she was going to loose him at any moment. It was very gratifying once he finally gave in. I actually realized I was holding my breath.
I thought Dana was going to die in a car crash with Finn. I can't fathom what the endgame is for Dana and Finn or why they're beating us over the head with it.
Great episode it didn't leave me fulfilled as last week did. I'm hoping, fingers crossed, next week will.

aprilgirl

aprilgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

I missed tonight's ep but plan to watch it tomorrow. So forgive me if this is covered in the ep but how does Carrie know this?:

To wit, both of them had important information that they withheld while letting Brody dig himself a hole. In Quinn's case, it was the tape that he used to destroy Brody's positions. In Carrie's case, it was the fact that she KNEW that Dana called Brody to talk him out the bombing. She used that to also cut through his bullshit.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

The scene with Finn and Dana was more tense for me than the one with Carrie and Brody. I knew it would end badly. Even at that age, if my date had started driving like a maniac in the middle of the city I would have been screaming at him to stop. I was shocked that she was laughing; I thought she was smarter than that.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

I missed tonight's ep but plan to watch it tomorrow. So forgive me if this is covered in the ep but how does Carrie know this?:

She doesn't have concrete knowledge, but she told Dana in last year's finale to call Brody to get him to call off the attack and the attack was, indeed, called off. So I figure she has always presumed Dana did, indeed, call him. And that's information that only Carrie would have and she would know Brody wouldn't expect her to know it.

Edited by Brian C, Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:55 PM.

Purejinks

Purejinks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

The scene with Finn and Dana was more tense for me than the one with Carrie and Brody. I knew it would end badly. Even at that age, if my date had started driving like a maniac in the middle of the city I would have been screaming at him to stop. I was shocked that she was laughing; I thought she was smarter than that.

I think she was riding the adrenaline rush. Looking for something to make her forget what was going on with her parents. Judging by her conversation last episode with Xander weed wasn't cutting it for her anymore. I do agree with you that is was a stupid thing to participate in. But I can see how she got caught up in the moment.

Baby Fish Mouth

Baby Fish Mouth

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

Outstanding acting by Danes and Lewis during the interrogation. And Quinn played the first part beautifully. I was expecting some kind of good cop/bad cop routine, but I didn't see it going that far.

Finn just oozes slime. I wonder if the Secret Service agents will play a role in busting them? They didn't see it happen, but they can certainly testify how fast they were going and where.

Carrie is way too smart to trust Brody 100%, but I do think it's only a matter of time before they're sleeping together again.

Wrong Heaven

Wrong Heaven

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

I thought Dana was going to die in a car crash with Finn.

I was really worried because I was sure that Abu Nazir's plot was to kill Walden's son just as Walden killed his - as they were driving away, I was sure the car was going to blow up and Dana would die, thus finally truly turning Brody away from him. Alas, it was not to be.

This episode is amazing - separate, Danes and Lewis are magnificent - together: it's acting magic. That scene was just incredible, and I am really looking forward to more scenes with the two of them together.

Gironbachs

Gironbachs

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

Did I hear Borody say during the interrogation that the Saudi attache from Season 1 was dead? I don't recall that happening (onscreen, at least) Brody wears a different mask for almost every single person in his life. I can barely keep up with his huge web of intricate lies that changes depending on who he's talking to.

Not sure why they went "I Know What You Did Last Summer" all over Dana's little subplot. Why didn't Veep Jr stop?It wasnt as if he'd been drinking or anythimg.

Edited by Gironbachs, Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:13 PM.

meandthemoon

meandthemoon

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

but I do think it's only a matter of time before they're sleeping together again.

And this is why it is hard for me to enjoy an otherwise amazing scene between two very talented actors. Instead of watching the interrogation scene and being at the edge of my seat, I roll my eyes because I know where it is headed. When Carrie and Brody are together, the show becomes too much of a love story between these two people rather than the complex thriller that I fell in love with. JMO and all that.

Purejinks

Purejinks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Did I hear Borody say during the interrogation that the Saudi attache from Season 1 was dead? I don't recall that happening (onscreen, at least)

I assumed he was killed in the bombing in season 1 when the fake Walker showed up to meet him.

aphrodite-in-nyc

aphrodite-in-nyc

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

OKay, loved a lot of this but did NONE of these crack CIA agents think to take Brody's cell phone and download everything in it - including the May day text to Abu Nazir? I would think that would have been one of the first things they would do. I hope that comes in later. And isn't the suicide vest still in the house? They should have gone in looking for it.

Purejinks

Purejinks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

Brody wears a different mask for almost every single person in his life. I can barely keep up with his huge web of intricate lies that changes depending on who he's taking talking to.

I agree, he seemed so at peace with Carrie. Like she knows me she accepts me and everything will be alright as long as she's in my corner. But it's so hard to tell with him.

Edited by Purejinks, Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:23 PM.

Lilac4381

Lilac4381

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

Carrie is way too smart to trust Brody 100%, but I do think it's only a matter of time before they're sleeping together again.

If it were any other show, I would say I completely agree but if there is one thing I've learned from Homeland is they usually veer down the road less taken. Then again, while the show's tales of CIA/Terrorism is the heart of the show, I will say I am not quite sure I've ever felt such explosive yet intimate chemistry between two actors like CD and DL. It is hard to resist.

Logically, Carrie and Brody should never be intimate again and I give the writers credit for not falling into typical pitfalls of cliches like other shows.

Numb Nut

Numb Nut

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

Another good ep. Loving this season so far. I especially loved Peter's unhinged routine. Calmly pull out the knife, click and WHAM! That was awesome. So is Brody playing the hero card with Jess? He's just working for the CIA and never was a terrorist? I can't wait till she finds out the real deal. Maybe Mike (and Lauder) will expose this new lie.

Logically, Carrie and Brody should never be intimate again and I give the writers credit for not falling into typical pitfalls of cliches like other shows.

Gawd, I'm praying that they don't rekindle the romance. Seriously.

Edited by Numb Nut, Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:42 PM.

nydude

nydude

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

Who was that in the car watching Carrie drop of Brody at his house?

Also Brody didn't admit that he broke into Estes' safe and gave all the potential terrorist targets off to Roya Hammad. This could mean that he may still want to play both sides, as thwarting the attack on the US is the main objective for the CIA. And also that he killed Basel the tailor :(

Numb Nut

Numb Nut

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

Who was that in the car watching Carrie drop of Brody at his house?

Virgil. And I was glad to see him because I kept thinking "What if Brody just panics and starts strangling Carrie?"

Also Brody didn't admit that he broke into Estes' safe and gave all the potential terrorist targets off to Roya Hammad. This could mean that he may still want to play both sides, as thwarting the attack on the US is the main objective for the CIA. And also that he killed Basel the tailor :(

True. I'm hoping that they're not buying everything Brody's selling without question.

maureen57

maureen57

Couch Potato

• Interests:raccoons

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

I agree with many of you....no more romance between Carrie & Brody. It would make her less professional.

TheNewb

TheNewb

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

What a great episode, I almost forgot how bad Brody's behavior has been. I'm happy that he was able to get over this crap place he's been. The interrogation scene really highlighted this episode and possibly the season; very much the equivalent to "the weekend" for this season. I've had a good idea of how this could end and it seems to be heading towards that direction.

Wasn't it very interesting to see the parallel's between Dana and Finn's relationship and Carrie and Brody's? Honestly I can't see where this is going but I hope Dana doesn't get in to trouble. I've always thought that she resembles a kid Brody and Carrie would have rather than her current gene donors; she just has some many characteristics of both of them.

Have they abandoned the whole mole issue completely? Could that be what screws up this whole triple agent? It looks like Brody's family is fair game this season. Was I the only one that laughed when Brody told his wife he was working for the CIA? Just because Brody and Carrie were...open doesn't necessarily mean the relationship is back on or that it'll be a soap opera. I think that they're meant to have a relationship that can't ever be and despite some slop we were served in some episodes I still think the writers know how to manage relationships well in this show. That is an area I've never questioned them about.

Anyway, this episode alone will get this show so awards again and they're well deserved.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

I love this show. Each episode just gets better and better.

Just one thing... I was waiting for Brody to mention that his vest didn't go off the first time he flipped the switch.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 1:16 AM

This episode was really well acted. Danes was good but I think Lewis could be Lewis's Emmy submission episode. They had to portray through acting what I don't think the script/story did which is convince me that Brody broke so quickly. Sepinwall mentioned in his review that it took eight years to break and rebuild Brody and Carrie did it in a day. I had a hard time believing that even if the performances were believable.

If it were any other show, I would say I completely agree but if there is one thing I've learned from Homeland is they usually veer down the road less taken.

Except they went there in the first place which isn't the road less taken. I'm neither pro or anti them going there again but I'm probably more open to it than I was before they went there last year. The relationship they've developed is one that isn't exactly healthy or right but despite them knowing its wrongness, there's this sense that they think they have a deep connection. I don't know that it really is there or just a figment of their imagination. I also think they fight against it. But I also think it's just something they both believe.

It would make her less professional.

But she's not really professional. From the first episode, she has prone to be unprofessional. She has made decisions that placed herself and her informant in danger. Her initial observation of Brody was illegal. Getting involved with him in the first place was unprofessional. Carrie has good instincts and she's an asset but she also makes very emotional decisions. Now that she has 'broken' Brody and made herself his main contact, she puts herself at risk to repeat what she did last season.

It wouldn't be professional or even a better relationship this time, but I do think it'd be very believable based on who Carrie is.