Mockingbird Lane

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

82 replies to this topic

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

This has been discussed somewhat in the "Munsters" thread, but seems like it deserves its own (esp since it's definitely not a sitcom).

"MOCKINGBIRD LANE"
"PILOT"

10/26/2012 (08:00PM - 09:00PM) (Friday) : THERE IS A NEW FAMILY IN TOWN ON MOCKINGBIRD LANE AND THE NEIGHBORHOOD WILL NEVER BE THE SAME— Sweet little Eddie Munster (Mason Cook) is a normal kid about to enter the horrors of puberty. Truth is, he’s about to discover that for him becoming a teenager means growing hair in truly unexpected places -- as in all over his body -- every time the moon is full! Eddie’s got it pretty good though. His loving, supportive, run-of-the-mill family includes his mom Lily (Portia de Rossi), the daughter of Dracula; his dad Herman (Jerry O’Connell), who brings new meaning to "Frankenstein"; and Grandpa (Eddie Izzard), who would give Dracula a run for his money if he weren’t actually Dracula! Of course then there’s creepy cousin Marilyn (Charity Wakefield), who’s really the odd one because she’s so completely normal. This new, reimagined version of the classic 1960’s comedy "The Munsters" is based on executive producer Bryan Fuller’s ("Pushing Daisies," "Heroes") script and was directed by executive producer Bryan Singer ("X-Men" film series, "House").

Some reviews:
Hitfix
AVClub

Dana Girl

Dana Girl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

I loved it. I thought it was really well cast, the production design was gorgeous, and the script managed to be both funny and touching without dissolving into preciousness. Hope NBC brings it back.

The whole show was worth just the Marilyn/Grandpa convo on the neighbor's porch, and Lily/Herman's scene in the staircase.

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Grandpa basically stole the show. Every scene he was in was awesome.

Kind of wish they'd done a less werewolfy werewolf. Something still recognizably human. Loved Marilyn's character and what her backstory is to Lily's sister.

Charlotte Vale

Charlotte Vale

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

That was surprisingly good! Great cast (I went to college with the guy who played the neighbor), dazzling production values, good script. I wonder if there are plans for a series?

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

I wonder if there are plans for a series?

The only plan there is is maybe a series order if the pilot does well ratings-wise.

Cos otherwise, the project is dead in the water, and this airing is the show's last chance.

NBC, ladies & gents.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

After watching the show I know why NBC killed it.

Grandpa was not the loveable curmudgeon I knew. He was just a jerk. And in the original nobody went out of their way to make Marilyn feel bad about being different.

Herman was a big lug. Not a mushy, touchy-feely, angsty guy.

peanutbunny

peanutbunny

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

I enjoyed but found Eddie far too angsty. Eddie Izzard is awesome, as always. :) I think this has potential to be a lot of fun.

SillyMamma

SillyMamma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

I absolutely loved it. It was much meaner and more biting (pun intended) than the original -- and I really dug that too (pun also intended).

jazz

jazz

Fanatic

• Interests:Television,Music,Books, and family. But not in that order. ;')

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

This is not a remake. One is a half hour comedy with a laugh track, the other is an long drama.

I really liked it. The only bad thing is it made me miss Pushing Daisies even more. I hope it gets a chance to become a series.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

You could tell it was a Bryan Fuller joint, but hey, I have both seasons of Pushing Daisies on dvd. ::shrugs:: I enjoyed the pilot, saw what could be toned down a bit, but overall? It was a fun lead-in to Grimm. I don't know why NBC didn't try to okay it and pair the shows like they did tonight. Too much logic, I guess.

Portia was beauteous as always, though the darker hair took some getting used to, as I love her blonde hair. Jerry O. was fun as Herman, but I was hoping that coming clean with Eddie would help to heal his heart some. "Eddie" was adorable and liked that he wasn't bratty, just mostly frustrated. "Marilyn" was cool and I like that she was a partial restraint to Grandpa wanting to run amok ("amok, amok, amok...").

Eddie Izzard totally stole the scenes he appeared in, but that's because Grandpa a) was nekkid half the time and b) having such a good, harrumph-y time, you kinda dug his vibe. I was hoping that Steve, the scout leader, would survive the dinner, but Herman wearing the outfit kinda dashed my hopes.

I also totally love the neighbor lady and her dog! I can't fully blame her caution, but loved that she stated she wasn't going to eat or drink anything they offered. She'd be fun to see clash with Grandpa, in a Gladys Kravits sort of way.

Maybe we can get a miniseries if not a series proper out of tonight?

Arynm

Arynm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

Loved it! This of course means the show will never again see the light of day.
It was gorgeous and the special effects were very good.
Loved all the characters, but I think Marylynn was my favorite. I loved that she looked completely "normal" but was one of the strangest in the family. Jerry O'Connell is hot as always. I had forgotten it grandpa was Eddie Izard until he got younger and then I remembered.

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

This was a depressingly good pilot, much better than the original series ever was. The original series had a great theme song, fantastic costuming and makeup (cheapo sets though) and the coolest car on television. But the scripts were just dreadful bland plots that could just have easily been done on My Three Sons or Donna Reed. It looks so much more interesting in stills or on the Aurora model kit boxes than it does if you actually watch it.

Now this on the other hand has the real potential to be something. My favorite line was when the neighbor asked Grandpa and Marilyn, "would you like to come in?" And Grandpa (after a beat) says, "Could you possibly, in your own words and completely of your own free will, rephrase your invitation to us in the form of a statement?"

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but......

Matt K

Matt K

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

I would the show to be only halfway decent. My main problem was the soundtrack never shut up. It was loud and annoying and literally never stopped. The choice of music seemed inappropriate in some of the scenes and kind of undercut the scene itself. That said, Eddie Izzard was great and I'm a fan of Jerry O'Connell and Portia so I'd love to see some other show with these three.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

It definitely had a similar feel to Bryan Fuller's Pushing Daises, which I adored and still mourn it's cancellation. This wasn't as good as Pushing Daises' pilot, but it had a lot of positives. I liked the look, some of the lines, and the acting. Eddie Izzard was great as expected, Portia De Rossi was too and looked gorgeous, the actress playing Marilyn was also solid, and I surprisingly enjoyed Jerry O'Connell as Herman, even though he is probably the character that had the most changes from the sitcom. Only one I wasn't wild about was Eddie; part of it might have been I thought the actor looked very similar to Henry on Once Upon A Time, and it kind of took me out of the show. Danny from 30 Rock was fun as the poor doomed wilderness leader.

But unless it has killer ratings, I don't see NBC ordering any more. And airing it on Friday is not a good sign in my eyes. I have a feeling NBC is just trying to earn some extra dough and decided to air alongside the "Halloween" episode of Grimm. I could be wrong, but I'm not optimistic about it.

SerenitySky

SerenitySky

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

It was interesting. I liked the original better. I think I liked all the characters except for Grampa, he was too mean for me. Wasn't there a daughter in the original series? Wednesday or Tuesday? Or was that the Addam's Family?

Edited by SerenitySky, Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:41 PM.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

This would have been better off if they hadn't connected it to the Munsters but let it stand on it's own.

MsBaxter

MsBaxter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

Just ran over here from the Grimm forum.

I loved it, but then Bryan Fuller? "Dead Like Me"? "Pushing Daisies"? I was on board.

I agree with whomever wrote that it had the look of "Pushing Daisies". The same saturated colors, gorgeous, exaggerated sets, great costumes. It was sharp and sweet and macabre. It is such a shame that NBC did not see fit to run with this. Is it a dead pilot? What a bad decision! But then, "Pushing Daisies" was cancelled after 2 seasons. What is wrong with people? :)

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

• Interests:SF (especially Star Trek and its various incarnations, and the new, good Battlestar Galactica), and Autism Activism ("Aut Disce, Aut Discede", y'all!).

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Wednesday was in The Addams Family. Marilyn was the daughter in The Munsters, the one cursed with the hideous appearance of a perfectly normal human (but she tried to make the best of it).

Show's not quite over in this time zone, and I just don't know. The writers can't seem to make up their minds if they're writing a dark comedy, or a serious drama that just happens to be about a family of monsters. (Also, Herman seems to be a bit modern-day - wouldn't he understand that Aristotle's nonsense about the heart being the seat of emotions had been pretty thoroughly disproved?)

I loved Marilyn's admiration of the house, and of course Grandpa stole his every scene - hardly surprising, given they cast Eddie Izzard in the part...

OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

I'm clearly not the target audience for this because I was kind of shocked by it. I agree with those who found grampa just too mean (evil?). Fundamentally they're all killers, right? Even Eddie killed some of those boy scouts, right? Or did Herman say the boys were just shaken up? I guess I'm too old for this kind of show!

Zanne

Zanne

Stalker

• Interests:I'm a female of the species - what species, I'll leave up to you. Just to clarify my name since it makes people think I'm a boy...it's not Zane like rain, but Zanne like fan.

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

I really enjoyed it. I think it's a perfect bit of silliness (with a slightly dark tang) for a Friday night. But I've enjoyed everything Fuller's done, so it's no surprise I liked this so much. I hope there's some kind of miracle and it gets picked up for the season because my TV schedule is looking a tad thin this year.

Edited by Zanne, Oct 26, 2012 @ 11:06 PM.

justjoan

justjoan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

I never cared for the original, but this looked interesting and I had planned to watch it. Too bad my NBC affiliate didn't bother to show it. We got some show on local haunted houses and other Halloweeny things to do instead (useless to me, since it's a Detroit station and I live in NYS). Hopefully it'll be on Hulu, but I'm pretty annoyed.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

I thought I was going to hate it but I must be Bryan Fuller's bitch because I thought it was really good. It def has his special touch because it reminded me a bit of Pushing Daisies (which I still mourn the loss of). I wish BF would shoot for a show on cable where he can get away with lower ratings.

Something about the show just clicked, too bad it probably won't take off.

Robinhood

Robinhood

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

Um, I loved the house. Otherwise, ditto on OpieTaylor's post.

QubeGirl

QubeGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

I absolutely loved it. Of course, I am a huge fan of Pushing Daisies so it was wonderful to have that same look and feel back on my television. Although I wasn't sure that a reboot of the munsters would be very interesting, I love the changes that he made to the characters to give the premise new life. Eddie Izzard stole every scene.

It is so frustrating that so many sitcoms get greenlit to full series while wonderful quirky shows like this one only gets 1 episode. Especially since so much care and work went into the details on this show. If only there was a way to convince NBC to order a full series of Mockingbird Lane rather than wait for the ratings to come in. Sigh.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

I can't imagine how expensive this must have been. It was fantastically cinematic, but waaaaaaay too much for network TV. Even a highfalutin' cable series would be gagging at this level of excess.

And call me old-fashioned, but I liked the fact that the old Munsters was a lovable sitcom family who just happened to be monsters. This was just way too dark and mean-spirited. And for all the special effects up the ying-yang, the leads' costume and makeup jobs were just crap. Everyone looked way too normal.

This show...just too many wrong choices.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 2:32 AM

Even Eddie killed some of those boy scouts, right? Or did Herman say the boys were just shaken up?

Yeah, I thought Herman said he hadn't killed any of them.

I can't imagine how expensive this must have been.

Reportedly $10 million.

Sounds like there were behind-the-scenes issues that may have contributed to why it wasn't picked up as well.

Edited by 2MuchTV, Oct 27, 2012 @ 2:33 AM.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 2:48 AM

Herman said that some of the wilderness boys were scratched.

I would like to learn more about Herman's history. Herman said he was born like a regular person, but Grandpa also said that he had "made" Herman into a Munster, presumably by putting together pieces of other bodies. So like was Herman a regular person until he met the Munster family? He had some freak accident or else Grandpa attacked him, but Lily was already in love with Herman and wanted him put back together, so Grandpa fixed him?

Well I don't know if the show will ever continue, but if it does I'd like to see some of that history. Marilyn's history sounds interesting too. I wonder if her mother is still alive or just staying away from the kid she almost ate?

I did like Spot the dragon being the so-called "dog" that was going to watch over Eddie at the next full moon.

Edited by Cress, Oct 27, 2012 @ 2:49 AM.

swingkidpt

swingkidpt

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

I wasn't excited about this but then I heard Eddie Izzard and then I heard Bryan Fuller. I was so much more than impressed. I want to live in a world where Bryan Fuller has Ryan Murphy's success.

In other news, I think I have a ghost.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

It was interesting. I liked the original better. I think I liked all the characters except for Grampa, he was too mean for me. Wasn't there a daughter in the original series? Wednesday or Tuesday? Or was that the Addam's Family?

Glad this didn't get picked up. Grampa was just too mean and creepy. Leave it to Eddie Izzard to ruin it. Herman and the rest of the family were really sweet but Gramps ruined it. Also Marilyn was just so weird. I never would have watched it. How come no one seemed to notice Herman's massive scar on his neck and he never wore any shirt to cover it up?

Scribbly

Scribbly

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 7:16 AM

I liked it, but thought there were some flaws.

Eddie Izzard was good with what he was given, but some of his stuff was just pushing the line between darkly funny and just off. It literally took me about 2 minutes to figure out that guy was supposed to be Herman, and some of his delivery was a little too wooden. Portia di Rossi felt a little miscast here. To me the standouts were Marilyn and Eddie. I just didn't get what was going on with Cheyenne Jackson's character (it was just over the top), and then found it weird when he was killed off.