1-3: "Someday You'll Call My Name" 2012.10.24

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

94 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

From Zap2it:

Rayna learns her family is facing financial ruin; Juliette asks Deacon to write and tour with her exclusively; Juliette's mother re-enters her life.

This thread will open at 11:00pm EDT on October 24th.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Was Avery actually... supportive of Scarlett? I didn't know he had it in him.

I thought they did some nice humanizing of Lamar. The invisible mustache he twirls has been trimmed a bit. This one wasn't as good as the past two, IMO, but the ending with Juliette stealing cosmetics of some kind sure is setting up for something big.

Also, shut up, Teddy.

sopreppypink

sopreppypink

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

The duets between Sam Palladio and Clare Bowen are just incredible.

Also, who knew Chip From Whose Line was so smokin? Geeze.

Edited by sopreppypink, Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:19 PM.

missbonnie

missbonnie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I am happy that Deacon turned Juliett down, wasn't sure he had it in him. I wonder just what it was that Rayna's husband did that makes him fear an audit. I still can't stand Scarlett, dont know why but she grates on my last nerve.

sammiekay

sammiekay

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Edited by sammiekay, Jan 29, 2013 @ 5:28 PM.

SlovakPrincess

SlovakPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

This show is just my speed - a fun, romantic soap. Watching it is like settling into a nice warm bath.

Yikes, what was Juliette thinking, shoplifting like that?! I actually love her, in all her messed up glory. And now we know why she's such a mess ..

I didn't get Rayna's last conversation with Deacon. Is this tour ever happening or not? It probably has to, because Teddy is obviously in deep shit with their finances and this upcoming bank audit.

Hey, Scarlett's boyfriend finally gets a personality! Now we have a solid love triangle going, because both guys were sweet tonight.

Nidratime

Nidratime

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Yikes, what was Juliette thinking, shoplifting like that?! I actually love her, in all her messed up glory. And now we know why she's such a mess ..

I get the feeling this is something Juliette had to do when she was living with Momma before she hit it big.... Steal in order to get by and/or help her mother get her fix.

Hey, Scarlett's boyfriend finally gets a personality! Now we have a solid love triangle going, because both guys were sweet tonight.

Her boyfriend has got some angle. I can see that coming. He thinks he can ride that gravy train or horn in with that man who's helping his girlfriend.

filmcamerachick

filmcamerachick

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

I didn't get a supportive vibe so much as a realization that "being there" for Scarlett will help get him an intro to Watty, which could perhaps lead to more.

kristea

kristea

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

I'm kinda torn bc he was so sweet when he told her to go for it, then after watty told him his gf had "it" he introduced himself. I think he's going to become her manager and ride her coattails into fame.

You can so tell that Maddie is Deacon's child. That child can sing!! How could she not considering who her mother and bio dad is. I wonder if Deacon even knows that Maddie might be his daughter?

sweetpd7

sweetpd7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Scarlett's boyfriend was supportive since she blew it the first go round, but he won't be able to deal with how good she is. In the preview, he looks angry. He was smug about introducing himself to Watty. It seems Watty is all about country. The boyfriend's band is some kind of awful progressive rock, so I'm not sure what he expects from Watty.

Juliette shoplifted because she'd had a shitty day. Deacon left her after a call from Rayna. Then he turned her down on the tour. Add to that, dealing with her addict Mom. She may have been shoplifting unnecessary items for years when she felt low esteem. It was really stupid to have her do it in front of those girls. Juliette is way to savvy not to realize they could take a photo or film it.

I'm a bit over Rayna's hatred of her father. He is not warm and fuzzy, but they always end up saying nasty things to each other. She comes off almost as bad as he does. I also don't know if I can take a season of her on and off feelings for Deacon and their angst. Still love the over all soapishness.

Rayna must have made many millions. Teddy really made some disastrous financial decisions. They should think about downsizing from their huge mansion. That could solve it right there!

The girls were great little singers. And I love it when the show has Scarlett/Gunnar duet while showing the characters last actions. So cool.

lacey81

lacey81

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Rayna as a character just isn't doing it for me. The scenes with her father have already gotten tiresome, neither comes off all that well. And I'm not getting this great love with Deacon either. I don't know.

The final scene was very obvious. I don't buy that Juliet wouldn't be more careful after seeing those girls.

I did like fleshing out Avery more and I personally like the idea of him being both genuinely supportive and not a bad guy but also out for his own career. I like that it could be some of both.

The duets with Scarlett have been the best part of the show so far.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

Has he ever been shown to be not supportive of her? I know he was a little bit jealous of her work with Gunnar but I don't recall him ever trying to hold her down. If anything, it was Scarlett projecting and almost using him as an excuse. She seems to lack self confidence and we saw that again when she was recording.

I like the idea that he loves her, wants her to succeed but can also see how her success could be his success.

I like Scarlett's voice and her duets with Gunnar but her character bugs me.

Yikes, what was Juliette thinking, shoplifting like that?! I actually love her, in all her messed up glory.

Much like cutting and eating disorders, I think this is a control thing for Juliette. Her mother is not only back in her life but back in her house. Even as they seemed to connect more, Deacon still won't commit to a tour with her. Shoplifting is a way of controlling something in her life. I like Nidratime's suggestion that it was something she had to do when she was younger. As for her being so stupid as to get caught, there's also the possibility that she wanted to get caught.

SpringIsHere

SpringIsHere

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

I think she wanted the girls to see what she was doing, but she stupidly forgot about the concept of camera phones. Although I think the whole thing was a stupid plot device to set up next week's episode, based on the previews.

leefonthewind

leefonthewind

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

Has he ever been shown to be not supportive of her?

Short answer: yes. Longer answer: So remember that time one episode ago when he didn't want her to cut a demo with a really influential producer because it might emasculate him? He has not only been jealous of her work with Gunnar, but yes, he's actively wanted to keep her from doing things that might promote her own career and talent.

Edited by leefonthewind, Oct 24, 2012 @ 11:47 PM.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

You can so tell that Maddie is Deacon's child. That child can sing!! How could she not considering who her mother and bio dad is. I wonder if Deacon even knows that Maddie might be his daughter?

I'm betting that Rayna's father isn't really her father either.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

I don't see how she'd think CBS would put up with a reduced schedule

I was just thinking the same thing. And now that we've seen a picture of her, is she really dead? This has been the year for dead mamas not really being dead.

Wow, that last song, "Fade Into You", was beautiful and haunting.

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

Agree with the poster upthread tonight's episode not as good as the last two. The acting is solid I just can't take Rayna and Deacon's/Daddy's repetitive conversations.
Teddy must not have completely covered his tracks so the audit may shine a light on whatever it is he's done.

Juliette should fire her manager ASAP. There are no sublets or extended stay hotels in Nashville? He could have told Juliette what happened at the bus station and took care of accommodations without bringing her mom to the house to mess with her fragile psyche.

The girls' singing was wonderful!

Credit to the actor that plays Avery subtle performance--his expression when Scarlett fell into his arms was really good.

Edited by ThomasAAnderson, Oct 25, 2012 @ 1:10 AM.

gpgurl50

gpgurl50

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 4:13 AM

I like how when Deacon showed up at the recording session, Juliette snapped at him but when she realized it was Deacon she turned on the charm. Even though the audience has gotten full view of how awful she can be, Deacon’s rarely gotten to see her dark side beyond the stories Rayna tells. Given that we’ve seen Rayna can be a bit of a diva herself, Deacon might not know how much of her perspective is reliable.

I did like that Deacon told Juliette no, but based on the previews it looks like she might have more time to sway him.

I agree the mom moving in was stupid. Whoever, drove Juliette to the gate of her own community, could’ve driven her mom back to Alabama. A touch I liked was earlier in the episode, Juliette told her assistant to go shopping for her, which shows that by the end of the episode she was there for one reason and one reason only.

Given Scarlett is Deacon’s niece and she appeared to be at the studio at the same time as him, it would’ve been nice if he had made an appearance at her recording session. I guess it would’ve interfered with triangle stuff though. I think Avery is equal parts trying to be supportive as well as self promoting. He was obviously pleased to get a chance to be alone with Watty. However, I think Gunnar gave the impression in the talk they had earlier that he thought Scarlett’s doubts about Avery were justified. I think Avery wanted to prove he was the nice guy. However, they obviously have some communication issues because most of Scarlett’s news comes to Avery through a third party.

Also, there are some weird messages in scenes for me. Like the “No One Will Ever Love You” song last week was beautiful but also felt kind of possessive and creepy. Then Avery’s peptalk to Scarlett was obviously inspirational for her but his argument was basically forget yourself and think of me. I don’t know, maybe that’s just me.

Maddie likes the song “No One Will Ever Love You.” On the one hand it’s sweet that Rayna’s kids know her music. On the other hand, it’s kind of funny because that’s probably both her bio parents singing.

Teddy is obviously hiding something big and Rayna is not aware. I enjoyed Rayna’s hilarious face when learning about her mother’s affair. However, my favorite Rayna moment of the episode when she admitted that she wanted to do the right thing but wasn’t sure what it was. Sending Deacon away and keeping him around are probably both things that would gnaw at her for different reasons.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 5:42 AM

I loved that Rayna never said one word about the fact that her daughters were singing a Juliette Barnes song at the talent show. If you haven't already checked out Maisy and Lennon's youtube, do it! They were a huge internet sensation a few months ago due to their cover of a cover (Robyn/Erato).

I still haven't decided whether Deacon is smart not to go on tour with Juliette or if he's throwing away a huge opportunity. Both, I guess.

Like other posters, I did not understand why Juliette's mom had to stay at her house. With as much money as Juliette has, it can't be THAT hard to get her mom back to Alabama or into rehab. They don't have access to a a car or a plane? Sheesh. And if they're insisting on keeping her in Nashville until they can find a spare car to drive to Alabama or rehab, it's not like Juliette's house is the only place in Nashville for her mom to stay. I get what her manager is saying about keeping an eye on her to keep her out of trouble but again, we're talking about a rich singer. She can rent another place, hire another bodyguard to keep an eye on her, etc.

I think Juliette wanted to get caught. She's frustrated and acting out. To be honest, I initially thought that she was buying junk food that she knew her mom used to like. Heh, I loved that she thinks Kraft squares are the good kind of cheese. Once every few years, I get an urge for those. Eating one of those is like going right back to my childhood.

I'm so bored with the election/money secret storyline.

Avery is definitely up to something. I think that part of him got guilt tripped after his conversation with Gunnar, but I think that most of him is motivated by how he'll benefit from Scarlett getting her foot in the door.

Ms Bumble Bee

Ms Bumble Bee

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 6:30 AM

Avery is definitely up to something. I think that part of him got guilt tripped after his conversation with Gunnar, but I think that most of him is motivated by how he'll benefit from Scarlett getting her foot in the door.

Maybe it is everything. He loves her. He loves music. AND he is jealous as hell.

Understand I see Avery and I see Lucky Spencer and I love Lucky Spencer so to ME Lucky is playing Avery so he can do NO WRONG. Until he does and I will still love him I have loved JJ since he was a kid. Sue me.

And I hate country music and am addicted to Nashville.

BonnieD

BonnieD

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

I did like fleshing out Avery more and I personally like the idea of him being both genuinely supportive and not a bad guy but also out for his own career. I like that it could be some of both.

Yeah, multiple motives make it much better. I think he went there with only the idea of being supportive in mind and then realized, "hey, I can make use of my time here"

I agree that Juliette wanted to be caught or at least seen shoplifting. It's part of her self destructive cycle. Cause it was very clear that she saw those girls but did it anyway. And I don't really think she could've been unaware that they had a phone to film her with. Maybe a deepseated part of her is trying to fail so momma will leave her alone. Self sabotaging behavior and an inner sense of worthlessness is a complicated thing.

Also, yeah, why couldn't she immediately get the woman into rehab. Should've been easy for someone with so much money. But I'm sure it's because the writers want/need the drama of drug momma around.

kennyab

kennyab

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

So I guess we're to pretent that the auto-tone scene in the pilot never happened? I'm fine with that, because Juliette as actually very talented is much more interesting. I like that part of her problem with Rayna seems to stem from the fact that she thinks Rayna had everything handed to her. She's young and doesn't realize that paying your dues doesn't necessarily mean being a starving artist. While Juliette can be a tad petulant, it's so easy to see why, and I find myself rooting for a character that would usually make me want to throw things at the TV. Well done, show.

My only complaint is that it felt we were treading water a bit in this episode. There wasn't tons of new information. We had forward momentum with Scarlett/Gunnar/Avery, a bit with Juliette's mom and the shoplifiting, and a little bit more background on Teddy and Rayna's mom. While it doesn't need to be as neck-breaking as Dallas was earlier this year, the pace could be picked up a bit. We're still going back and forth on the inevitable Juliette/Rayna tour. Speaking of which, I'm really ready to get Rayna and Juliette together. I've not question that they're going to become frenemies and then eventual friends. I"ve gotten spoiled with good female bonding on Parks and Recreation and Once Upon a Time, and once these two put away their own prejudices, I think they'll have fantastic chemistry. Forget the Juliette/Deacon duet (which is lovely), I'm ready for a Rayna/Juliette duet.

FineWashables

FineWashables

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 7:59 AM

Avery is a manipulator. I was so glad to see him appear be supportive of Scarlett but then, when he showed that little tinge of smug while he stood there with Watty, I thought it was pretty clear that his agenda always was and still is self-promotion. Some really good acting on that, BTW. Refreshing to see subtlety in a nighttime soap.

kennyab

kennyab

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

Also, yeah, why couldn't she immediately get the woman into rehab. Should've been easy for someone with so much money. But I'm sure it's because the writers want/need the drama of drug momma around.

I'm going to guess that they've already had her in rehab multiple times and it never took. It really only works if the person wants to go through the process. The way Juliette's manager talking about getting her back into rehab indicates to me that they know forcing her won't do any good, they need her to go of her own volition.

ToodyWoody

ToodyWoody

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Avery was reminding me of Eric Roberts in Star 80 in the studio.

And the Deacon and Rayna scene left me confused. I understood she was trying to do the right thing but I don't understand what she was saying.

LeGrandElephant

LeGrandElephant

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

Her mother is not only back in her life but back in her house.

What I don't find plausible is they haven't shown Juliette offering to pay for rehab for her mother. They could have had a throwaway line that she refuses to go to rehab even if Juliette pays for it; that would sort of give more explanation for why Juliette is cutting her off completely. I guess they can still have her say that. And why not pay for her to stay at a hotel instead of in Juliette's house, until they figure out something else? And why would her manager just bring her mom into her house without okaying it ahead of time? I am half expecting to see the mom slap Juliette at any moment in front of the manager, to help explain to him why Juliette wouldn't want her around even for a second.

rustybones

rustybones

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 8:44 AM

The duets between Sam Palladio and Clare Bowen are just incredible.

I agree. If I Didn't Know Better had over 900 5 star ratings on iTunes when I checked it the other day.

Is Juliette another Lindsey Lohan?

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

I agree with the poster upthread- Rayna's dad is not her dad. Probably why he knows Deacon is the father of Rayna's oldest.

I believe Juliette knew what she was doing when she shoplifted in front of those girls. It seems like Juliette should have a guest house where mommy can stay. With someone watching her, I guess.

Still loving the music.

Worldyfan

Worldyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

Can't Juiliette get a restraining order on her mom? Although she might not be emotionally ready to do that.

Edited by Worldyfan, Oct 25, 2012 @ 12:40 PM.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

• Interests:Urban fantasy and paranormal romance, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, VM, FNL, Friends, MASH, Avatar, House, Farscape, Roswell, Glee, True Blood, Community, P&R, 30 Rock, The Good Wife, Boss, Downton Abbey, Coupling, old SYTYCD, Leverage, White Collar, Jonathan Groff, mutton, chicken and eggs.

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

What I don't find plausible is they haven't shown Juliette offering to pay for rehab for her mother. They could have had a throwaway line that she refuses to go to rehab even if Juliette pays for it; that would sort of give more explanation for why Juliette is cutting her off completely.

I thought they have tried multiple times and it didn't take because Juliette Mom isn't committed to it. Juliette said that her mom was using "again".

I somehow found this episode relentlessly depressing. I know it's a Dallas soap thing, but everyone's life is so sad and full of troubles. I miss a little Leslie Knope sunshine (and yes, I know drama vs comedy), but TGW manages to not be depressing. Then I guess Gunner / Scarlett is supposed to be triumphant, but just setting up for a triangle. And the song was nice but again so slow and um depressing sounding. I guess that's country? (Sorry, don't listen to much country), but it would be good if they have a nice uplifting episode next.

Re: Rayna's alleged dad, I guess the sister said singer/songwriter, so Watty is out?