Speculation Without Spoilers: Terrorism, It's Not Just For Suicide Bombers Anymore

• Please log in to reply

404 replies to this topic

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2013 @ 8:20 PM

CIA doesn't mind if their officers fuck terrorists?

dwmarch

dwmarch

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 4:17 PM

My speculation for season 4: Brody had a carefully rigged harness under his noose so it looked like he had been hung when in actual fact he was just playing dead. The crane method of hanging is apparently especially cruel but the drop method would have broken Brody's neck.

Let's up the ante. I bet in season 4 Javadi flips Carrie by dribbling hints to her that Brody is still alive.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 5:31 PM

They could pull that, if they're desperate for ratings.

But the ratings were reportedly higher than ever.

So maybe they pull this in season 5 if season 4 ratings bomb.

ETA:  I thought the crane was an odd thing too.  Chalked it up to the production having to improvise an execution in whichever country they filmed it.

Edited by Scrb, Dec 16, 2013 @ 5:32 PM.

HollaMcDollar

HollaMcDollar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 5:43 PM

They could pull that, if they're desperate for ratings.

But the ratings were reportedly higher than ever.

So maybe they pull this in season 5 if season 4 ratings bomb.

ETA:  I thought the crane was an odd thing too.  Chalked it up to the production having to improvise an execution in whichever country they filmed it.

Gansa has stated in his interviews today that Brody is 100% dead.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 7:28 PM

I thought the crane was an odd thing too.  Chalked it up to the production having to improvise an execution in whichever country they filmed it.

Let's see, in Argo they recreated a shot of a man hanging from something other than scaffolding in Iran after the revolution.  It was a shot that was faithfully recreated from footage from within Iran and the credits even showed the picture it was based upon. I can't swear that he was hanging from a crane. because I don't have that movie at hand right now, but it was something similar at least. 

I give the show absolute hell for how inaccurate it often is, but in this instance, they may have actually been using a historical basis for that choice. 

Edited by stillshimpy, Dec 16, 2013 @ 7:30 PM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 7:52 PM

Gansa has stated in his interviews today that Brody is 100% dead.

Yet even the dead can live again in flashbacks, or imagined futures that never were or, Lord help us all, the dreaded ghost episode.  It could be the Halloween episode where Carrie the Spook talks to Brody the Ghost.

HollaMcDollar

HollaMcDollar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 7:57 PM

Let's see, in Argo they recreated a shot of a man hanging from something other than scaffolding in Iran after the revolution. It was a shot that was faithfully recreated from footage from within Iran and the credits even showed the picture it was based upon. I can't swear that he was hanging from a crane. because I don't have that movie at hand right now, but it was something similar at least.

I give the show absolute hell for how inaccurate it often is, but in this instance, they may have actually been using a historical basis for that choice.

Gansa has hinted in his interviews that his research showed hangings in Iran are a sort of "bloods sport" over there and always attract large crowds.

shya100

shya100

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Yet even the dead can live again in flashbacks, or imagined futures that never were or, Lord help us all, the dreaded ghost episode.  It could be the Halloween episode where Carrie the Spook talks to Brody the Ghost.

That isn;t going to happen. Damian Lewis said today that his time with his show was done, and that he got a very nice pay out because technically  they terminated his contract early.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 8:05 PM

Executions are very public events in Iran, with authorities setting up building cranes at the scene of the crime or on the central square of the city where the crime took place. The executions are the highest form of punishment in Iran law, which is based on Islamic jurisprudence, which allows victims of crimes to demand retribution, but also to pardon victims.
The convicted criminal is often brought in around dusk, arriving at the square where a crane or scaffolding with ropes and nooses await him. Families, both of the victim and the convicted cheer and wail, often there are last minute pleas for a pardon. An Islamic judge, always present at the scene, will also officially ask the family of the victim for forgiveness. Usually crowds try to influence such decisions by calling for forgiveness or for the execution to take place.

NYT June 11 2012: Documenting Death Sentences in Iran

Note: At the top of the article is warning about the slide show containing graphic images

helv606

helv606

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 8:26 PM

That isn;t going to happen. Damian Lewis said today that his time with his show was done, and that he got a very nice pay out because technically  they terminated his contract early.

Shya,

I only read the interview  the New York Times interview, was the contract stuff from a different interview? 

shya100

shya100

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

No that was the interview and in not so many words he mentioned the quid per quo.of a payout

helv606

helv606

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 9:41 PM

No that was the interview and in not so many words he mentioned the quid per quo.of a payout

Thanks!

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2013 @ 3:25 PM

My speculation is that the series will end with Carrie getting a star on the wall for her own insanely heroic death.* Then the camera will close in on the face of the now-orphaned child of Carrie and Brody. Maybe the child will be holding Quinn's hand and in the child's other hand will be fluttering a pre-school paper with childish scrawls adorned with a gold star.

*Which could be more than one more season.

Icanseeformiles

Icanseeformiles

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 5:26 AM

Not bad, shapeshifter, but I really doubt Quinn will still be alive. Gansa will have decided that his storyline needs to come to an end long before Carrie's supposedly necessary death. Hmmm, what would be a really ghastly, overdramatic way for Quinn to come to an end? I'm sure Gansa will think of the perfect thing. I'm not a deathfic person, but I can see him getting thrown out of a helicopter and landing on some really jagged cliffs. Or maybe through some glitch, he'll simply get droned.

mag32gie

mag32gie

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 9:48 AM

Yes, we could have a whole season of him flying through the air.