2-4: "New Car Smell" 2012.10.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

206 replies to this topic

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

Couch Potato

• Interests:Sewing, reading, yoga, performing arts, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

From TV Guide
New Car Smell

Estes green-lights a covert mission based on intelligence gleaned from Beirut, and picks his own trusted operative to lead it; and Brody is shocked to bump into Carrie at Langley. Meanwhile, Dana and the vice president's son appear to have something in common.

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

I'm not sure why I keep being surprised about this show subverting my expectations, but they did again tonight.

I was lulled into a kind of complacency tonight and never did I imagine the story would go there.

Claire Danes rocked that last scene tonight. Geez, her face as they were taking Brody away. God, I love her.

Oni

Oni

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

The last few minutes were incredible.

AnalogHeart

AnalogHeart

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Dag! That hour flew by! Still not sure what Carrie s up to (is anyone ever sure of that with her?) but she is badass! Such chemistry between her and Brody. And what's up with tough bossman that Estes brought in? Friction? Respect? All of the above?

superfille

superfille

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

Completely did not see that coming. Agree with others that Claire Danes truly is an amazing actress. The way she conveyed her emotions when Brody left her at the bar and when they carried him away- fantastic.

TheNewb

TheNewb

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Well, I knew they would end this episode from the previews but I don't really know what will happen from here. What happens after they let Brody go? I want to say they'll have to turn him but I don't see that happening. A lot can happen from here...

I really hope they get that terrorist reporter!

meandthemoon

meandthemoon

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

That was awesome! The best episode since The Weekend, IMO. And I am so glad that the previews were misleading and that the Carrie/Brody relationship has officially come to an end; Carrie is way too good for Brody. And I really like the new guy and I wouldn't mind a relationship between him and Carrie since I thought they have a ton of chemistry. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he is not one of the good guys.

I just love how quickly this season seems to be moving. Big, unexpected things happen almost every episode. I love that Brody has finally been caught!

Now I wonder how Mike and that other soldier are going to play into everything.

Banannah

Banannah

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

The Carrie who yelled at Brody at the end was very similar to the Carrie who told off the Neo Nazi in "The Weekend." Full of contempt. I got the feeling, too, that Brody was still and all a little turned on by it.

aprilgirl

aprilgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Wow. The chemistry between Danes and Lewis is still off the charts.

Great, great ep.

Baby Fish Mouth

Baby Fish Mouth

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Amazing ending! Did not see that coming at all.

I kept wondering where I had seen the actor who plays Peter. Then I realized it was British actor Rupert Friend, who was in Pride & Prejudice, The Young Victoria and dated Keira Knightley for a long time. Also very hot, so I hope he sticks around for a while.

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I could not believe what was happening was happening.

I thought -- and still think -- Carrie was wrong about Brody's making her. It made sense that she would be wrong, that she would prefer to believe her horror at what she felt in seeing him, was instead fury at giving herself away to him, when all she did was give herself away to herself.

So I was prepared for one of two immediate outcomes: Carrie was wrong and this one thing she got wrong, this most vulnerable thing, was going to propel the suspense for the rest of the season. She would sleep with Brody to convince him she was not onto him, and convince herself that she was not into him. Their perverse affinity would be explored in every direction up to and through the endgame. Or -- less interesting to me but still plenty interesting -- Carrie would be right, and everything would follow as it would had she been wrong: by showing up at his room she would throw Brody off enough to lure him into playing this out with her.

And in the end, maybe Carrie was wrong...but no maybe about it: I was! And gobsmacked.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I kept wondering where I had seen the actor who plays Peter. Then I realized it was British actor Rupert Friend, who was in Pride & Prejudice, The Young Victoria and dated Keira Knightley for a long time. Also very hot, so I hope he sticks around for a while.

At first I thought it was the guy who played Archie on Monarch of the Glen. I loved his and Carrie's snarky back and forth.

I would have liked the Carrie/Brody cat and mouse to go on a bit longer, but they certainly have me interested in where they will be going from here on out!

I was also worried that Carrie was going to sleep with Brody in front of Saul...YIKES!

Edited by Deanie87, Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:18 PM.

MightyMac63

MightyMac63

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

Just when we all thought that Carrie and the CIA were going to shadow Brody, out of nowhere was an ending we did not expect. Outstanding acting by both Claire and Damian.

So now what happens? I think they will turn him into a double agent and expose the rest of Abu Nazir's organization? If Brody's arrest does get leaked to the media, the reporter/courier will be lost.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Dag! That hour flew by!

That's because it was less than 45 minutes without the previouslies & credits. Fantastic episode but it should have been longer!

Lilac4381

Lilac4381

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

I am sitting in shock and awe at the ending of this episode. I cannot believe the show "went there" in episode 4 and it makes me so excited for the rest of the season because I've not a clue what will happen next.

Claire Danes? Mind blowing acting as always but god, Carrie just pulls my heart strings with every moment. That final shot of her after Brody was taken away? Emmy repeat. I know Carrie and Brody cannot go anywhere logically as a couple but damn it, the chemistry is so palpable and surreal. The scene at the bar, the eye contact, the scene in the room, the intensity of the words shared - oh my goodness.

As much as she despises him, I do believe Carrie still loves him on some level and I think Brody loves her. When he said he liked her and she shouted, "I loved you," DL's eyes completely shifted as Brody and he looked so scared and confused and broken - almost as if her words took him out of his crazed Nazir trance. She is the only person along with Dana who is able to reach him since he came home.

Is it next Sunday yet?

Edited by Lilac4381, Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:29 PM.

TheNewb

TheNewb

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

I think I'm most surprised at Brody's lack of remorse. He was about to kill Carrie...without hesitation. He was hurt but still lacked any sort of remorse. After this episode it'll take some serious writing skills to make me sympathize for Brody again. Brody is exposed and there is no return for him.

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

Dag! That hour flew by!

Yep, the first Carrie scene was already 12 minutes (including the opening credits and "previously...") in to the episode.

I don't really care much about the Dana/Finn story; it just seems so awkward to me, but maybe that's what they're going for. It does open up an interesting dynamic with the VP, though.

Another echo of the amazing chemistry between Danes and Lewis.

The Carrie who yelled at Brody at the end was very similar to the Carrie who told off the Neo Nazi in "The Weekend." Full of contempt. I got the feeling, too, that Brody was still and all a little turned on by it.

Oh, but this was so personal. I loved the dialogue at the end. "I liked you." "I loved you." And then, "If the circumstances had been wildly different..."

Totally agree that Carrie is too good for him. There was some chemistry between Carrie and the analyst guy (Peter?), but I think Claire Danes is one of those actresses who has chemistry with every other actor; but I'll be interested to see where that relationship lands.

So is Carrie now just a consultant for the CIA? It seems the reason she was fired was because of her relationship with Brody (Estes had her office cleared before he saw her in The Vest during her manic episode), but now that she's vindicated I'm wondering where this lands her... Carrie said it was "enough" when Estes basically admitted she was right about everything, but is it really for her?

Lilac4381

Lilac4381

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

I think I'm most surprised at Brody's lack of remorse. He was about to kill Carrie...without hesitation. He was hurt but still lacked any sort of remorse. After this episode it'll take some serious writing skills to make me sympathize for Brody again. Brody is exposed and there is no return for him.

See, I totally agree that Brody went into full on crazed killer mode with her until she shouted "I loved you." I honestly felt like once she said that, his demeanor completely changed just as he shifted with Dana on the phone when she begged him to come home in the season 1 finale. As much as I hate Brody and know he is a terrorist, DL gives him layers and moments of conflict just by his facial expressions.

Edited by Lilac4381, Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:30 PM.

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

As much as she despises him, I do believe Carrie still loves him on some level and I think Brody loves her. When he said he liked her and she shouted, "I loved you," DL's eyes completely shifted as Brody and he looked so scared and confused and broken - almost as if her words took him out of his crazed Nazir trance. She is the only person along with Dana who is able to reach him since he came home.

See, I totally agree that Brody went into full on crazed killer mode with her until she shouted "I loved you." I honestly felt like once she said that, his demeanor completely changed just as he shifted with Dana on the phone when she begged him to come home in the season 1 finale.

Well said and said, Lilac. Brody seemed to be pumping himself to dispatch Carrie -- amping up the adrenaline for a hand-to-hand combat first drilled into him at Parris Island. Losing himself (further) in the task at hand. Then Carrie pricked him and he bled.

MTBradley

MTBradley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

I think I'm most surprised at Brody's lack of remorse. He was about to kill Carrie...without hesitation. He was hurt but still lacked any sort of remorse.

Hes a Marine and a sniper. He had shown himself able to kill without hesitation long before he met Abu Nazir.

Numb Nut

Numb Nut

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

Wow! Great ep. Lots of awesome-y awesomeness. I even liked Dana's new romance because it's so organic that she would outgrow Xander. So happy so much progress is being made so quickly. (I don't want to see Mike mulling over Brody's possible connection to Walker's death for nine episodes.) I love, love, love that Brody got picked up on the down-low so the VP knows nothing (yet). And I loved Saul's protective "stay away from her" when Brody went into sociopath mode. And Peter is a great addition. Can't wait till next week. One question: During the profiling scene, was the reporter one of the people under discussion?

After this episode it'll take some serious writing skills to make me sympathize for Brody again.

I can't say I ever sympathized with Brody. I just don't buy him loving Isa more than his own kids.

Edited by Numb Nut, Oct 21, 2012 @ 11:26 PM.

meandthemoon

meandthemoon

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

[quote]I can't say I ever sympathized with Brody. I just don't buy him loving Isa more than his own kids[quote]

This. I thought Isa was one of the weakeest moments from last season. It was really hard to buy as a motivation for Brody turning into a terrorist.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

Great episode. Love Claire Danes.

Question: is the VP molesting his son? I wasn't paying that much attention, but that's the impression I got.

Oh, and any sympathy I might have had for Brody died sometime last season, so I'm all for him being destroyed this season.

3D23

3D23

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

There was some chemistry between Carrie and the analyst guy (Peter?), but I think Claire Danes is one of those actresses who has chemistry with every other actor; but I'll be interested to see where that relationship lands.

There was a LOT of chemistry between those two, but I want more back story on Peter. I have to go with Carrie on this one. Yes, she was in the Middle East for a good amount of time, but she was in-house for what I would guess would be almost a year (or thereabouts), and she never ran into him? Especially in light of how tight he and David Estes appeared to be? Anyone taking odds on this guy being the mole? heh. I like the addition of his character, though, he piqued my interest immediately, and I loved how he attempted to 'handle' Carrie, and failed miserably. By that point, she was hell-bent on nailing Brody to a cross, some analyst was not stopping her. Which brings about another question; if he's an analyst, why would he be top dog on this op?

This. I thought Isa was one of the weakeest moments from last season. It was really hard to buy as a motivation for Brody turning into a terrorist.

But remember, he was for all intents and purposes, a captive and crazed animal until Nazir 'freed' him. And then Nazir did something to tie Brody to him, in bonding him to his son, Issa. He wasn't allowed contact with his family, friends, etc., only Nazir and then to a larger extent, Issa. This was his family, and he formed a strong bond through the boy which he associated (subconsciously) with his own freedom and way to identify what he missed with his own children. I still hold the opinion that he was a victim of Stockholm Syndrome, and began to sympathize with his captor long before Issa was killed, and the death of the boy only cemented his ties to Nazir. As far as Brody ever knew, Nazir had nothing to do with his capture and subsequent torture, only his rescue from the pits of hell. Without having gone through anything even remotely similar to this, I can see where his mind could be supremely twisted to sympathize with Nazir.

And I loved Saul's protective "stay away from her" when Brody went into sociopath mode.

OMG RIGHT???? I was rooting for Saul the entire episode. His faithfulness and devotion to Carrie is admirable. He worries about her, but is well aware of her competence, especially in light of the fact that she was incredibly correct about Brody.

Well, I knew they would end this episode from the previews but I don't really know what will happen from here. What happens after they let Brody go? I want to say they'll have to turn him but I don't see that happening. A lot can happen from here...

I can see him attempting to lie his way out of turning, and saying he will, but doing dual duty here. I want to know about Mike and the nutjob! (his name is escaping me right now) They are going to start putting the pieces together, and I can see those two being a huge wrench in the CIA plans. There are a lot of episodes to go here, so I have to believe that the way the first few episodes of the season have gone, we are in for one hell of a wild ride!!

I really wish to echo many of the sentiments on Daines and Lewis in the final scene. I was literally on the edge of my seat, and had goosebumps when it was over. OUTSTANDING acting by both actors here.

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

Question: is the VP molesting his son? I wasn't paying that much attention, but that's the impression I got.

Can you say what you weren't paying attention to?

Although now that you mention it...in the scene with Veep, Finn and Dana, was it the Veep's rude joviality, his jocular deprecation of Finn, Finn's cringe when touched, Finn's awe at Dana'a sniper-skilled return of fire on his behalf, Finn's desire to flee the home scene, followed by the much-too-much car gift, and Finn's liking Dana's view that there's a whole world out there? And Finn's summation of Thomas Jefferson as "confused"? Along with his concurring on, "My dad's a douche and my mom's a rube"?

Wow. It seems pretty heavy-handed for the Veep to not only be the man behind the killing of 80-some children, but also molesting his own. Still. That's quite a lot to go on.

jeansheridan

jeansheridan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

How to add to the discussion. The chemistry between Danes and Lewis is off the charts. You can't buy that kind of chemistry. He's just more open with her. I could feel him wanting to kiss her in the bar. Quite exciting.

I dig Peter too. He is a good addition and I've been waiting for Carrie to get someone worthy of her (although I would love it if Jared Leto would do a cameo). I loved his, "you're good" comment before she left. He knew exactly what to say to make her feel confident. I know he was playing her a bit, but that's cool too to see how a smart person can make another person better. Saul is like that too.

And Estes' word "heel"! I loved that. "I feel like a heel." Elegant, slightly romantic, gracious ... again totally playing her, but satisfying.

Dana rocks. She's my new Veronica Mars. Seriously. She cut the VP. CUT him! Speak truth to power, Dana girl. The world needs more girls like her.

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

I didn't get the impression that the VP was molesting his son but that he was just particularly hard on his son about grades, etc. He made the remark about Finn being a bad study partner and seemed surprised that Finn had gotten an A on his quiz. I think Finn probably feels stifled by some aspects of his father's job and status (although he sure enjoys perks like the BMW) - and Dana represents a rebelliousness that is attractive, not to mention would encourage his father when he learns his son's girlfriend's father is a terrorist. Not good for the ensuing election...

Rozen

Rozen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

Is it bad that I cannot wait until the VP is informed, so I can watch his face when he finds out that his perfect war chewtoy was planning to blow him to kingdom come? And that the VP assisted multiple times in Abu Nazir covering his tracks/getting away?

This new guy is not much of an analyst if he thought he could crack the whip once and make Carrie pull off a quarry that she blew her job and her sanity trying to catch. Lewis/Danes are such phenomenal actors, never appreciated them until this show, kudos!

And all this money blown on tracking Brody everywhere he goes, but they couldn't pull in someone who can read lips? Seriously? That reporter/blogger woman should have been in a black SUV with a bag over her head within minutes of that comically exposed conversation.

Edited by Rozen, Oct 22, 2012 @ 12:49 AM.

DrivingSideways

DrivingSideways

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought about this. Something about the body language of the VP massaging his son's shoulders was kind of creepy to me. I hope it was just a weird acting moment though, because I really don't want to go there on this show.

dwmarch

dwmarch

Couch Potato

• Interests:Boston Legal, Angel, Buffy, Firefly, 24, Star Trek

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

I liked the episode title "New Car Smell". It seems to apply quite nicely here. Brody is desperately trying to make his life have a new car smell but can't wash away the scent of cigarettes and bullshit. Everyone around him from his wife to his kids to his secretary to someone he hasn't even seen for months knows he's acting strange. Everything he does to cover it up just makes it worse.

While I am blown away by Carrie's action at the end, I felt something familiar about it all... back in the days of 24, we'd get these plots of women deceived and scorned by evil terrorists. The good guys would coach them into going undercover to get that one vital piece of info. And of course, the woman would play along until she was alone with the bad guy, could contain herself no longer and would stab him with whatever was handy while telling him what a piece of shit he was. Now in this case it's a well deserved payoff that has been a long time coming. However, if Brody steals a gun from one of the guards, jacks a helicopter and flies away to safety I will punch someone in the nuts.

Loved Dana snarking at the VP. I also liked that she's having a conflict because her current boyfriend just wants to smoke dope and her new interest can do things like take her to the top of the Washington Monument. The view from there looked really strange though, not at all what I would have expected. The buildings just seemed to be in too sharp of relief, like "Hey, look at these D.C. landmarks we faithfully rendered in crappy CGI!"

Is this the first episode in which we've seen drunk Marine not fully drunk?

Saul is awesome. "Get THE FUCK away from her!"