2-4: "The Crocodile" 2012.10.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

383 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 4:44 AM

Belle threatens to leave Mr. Gold if he doesn't change his ways; the dwarves try to find fairy dust in the Storybrooke mine; Rumplestiltskin tries to save his wife from a band of pirates.

Mod Note:

The episode threads move quickly. To make discussions easier for your fellow posters to follow, please keep things on topic. Discuss speculation, previews, and past episodes in other threads. Brief mentions of past episodes that are relevant to this episode are fine, but take serious discussion elsewhere.

Also, please remember to spell things out. It's "Fairy Tale" not "FT," for example.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Oct 28, 2012 @ 2:17 PM.

Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

I see Emma got her arms from her daddy. Mrow. Josh Dallas should appear without sleeves every episode.

macster83

macster83

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Belle is a freaking moron. How the heck many chances is she going to give Rumple to screw up before she gets a clue and realizes he's not going to change? Gah.

Captain Hook is hot as hell. More, please!

Senna

Senna

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

Between the Rumpelstiltskin backstory, Belle spreading her wings a little, and the sexy Captain Hook, this was an enjoyable episode. Though, I did think the story with Rumpel's wife would be a little bit more complex than it ended up (and Rumpel being the "crocodile" felt too shoehorned in). I would really love to see more of Belle and Ruby hanging out; I think having Ruby as a friend is really good for Belle.

Amberosia

Amberosia

Couch Potato

My, my, Rumple sure is a busy fella, isn't he. Rumplestiltskin, The beast, and now The Croccodile that is the bane of Captain Hook's existence. The guy sure gets around.

mercedwain

mercedwain

Channel Surfer

Hellooooo Captain Hook, I'd walk his plank anytime!

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Okay, I like Rumpel and even I feel he became officially irredeemable tonight. You don't come back from ripping out your ex-wife's heart and killing her. You just don't. Also, throwing him into every Disney storyline ever is just too much at this point. I was fine with Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast, but now it's just too much.

I loled at Belle's incredulous "After what you just did?" to Moe. Give him that "bitch please!" face, woman!

This is the right storyline for Rumbelle--breaking them up for a while--but it's been so contrived and clunkily done. They really needed to show them together in 2x02 and 2x03 to show the pressure building to make the breakup tonight matter that much. Otherwise, why even get them back together in 2x01? That said, I'm glad they're giving Belle a chance to spread her wings as a character for a bit. The Red/Belle friendship shows promise, though I want Belle and Charming to be friends too. And Belle and Grumpy--the hilarious potential there is enormous.

Could the end have telegraphed the Regina/Rumpel/Clan Charming team-up anymore? Hook isn't grabbing me as a villain, though. He's pretty, but strikes me as small-time. He isn't nearly as imposing as Regina, Rumpel, or Cora.

All in all, the first mediocre episode of the season, which is sad because I like Rumbelle and was looking forward to the ep. It was too much plot powering character and not vice versa--though we got about 40 min through before I realized we hadn't seen Snow and Emma yet, so it wasn't wholly awful or anything. 2x01 and 2x04 just felt so contrived, however.

More Charming in tank tops, please. mmmm.

ETA: Am I the only one who thought Rumpel and Belle DID break up in this episode? I don't think she took him back at the end at all.

Oh, and killing Milha was a waste of an interesting character/good actress.

Edited by stealinghome, Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:05 PM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

I must be slipping; it took me until about three seconds before they came right out and said it to realize that chubby guy was Smee.

I must object to Rumpel saying that he's lost everyone he loved. He let Bae go into the unknown; he found his wife and murdered her. Not quite what he's implying when he's telling his sob story.

I can see that having three story threads -- Storybrooke, present day What's-Left-of-Fairytale, and past Fairytale -- is going to be hard to squeeze into a single hourlong episode.

celette482

celette482

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Yeah, I was at first like "EMMAAAAAAA" but then it would have squeezed everything else. Would have been too rushed. A final scene in the ignored story-line is enough, I'd say

lostmind

lostmind

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Ruby and Belle as friends? Good idea. Another thought is that Belle and Ruby could also work as Beauty and the Beast.

Edited by lostmind, Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:09 PM.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

1. I love Rumbelle, but I am SO GLAD she broke up with him (or at least took a break from him). I've been hoping that she would since midway through last season. Their relationship is built on such faulty ground that starting over from zero is about the only way they can achieve any kind of trust and happiness going forward. More importantly, I'm glad to see that Belle is finally getting the chance to be truly independent and to experience the world without anyone to hamper her.

2. I still don't care about anything that's happening in the fairy tale world. Cora and Hook just aren't compelling villains to me.

3. This is the first Rumplestiltskin episode that's disappointed me. I was never interested in the story of how he lost his wife; I was kind of hoping that they'd leave that up to speculation, actually. And her presence here was little more than a vehicle to bring us into Hook's tale. It added nothing to Rumple's story that we don't already know: he's cowardly, petty, and vicious when he wants to be.

4. I'm really looking forward to next week's episode, though I won't say anything further about it here.

Edited by oldandnewfirm, Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:11 PM.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

Well I liked it.

Why am I condemned to like these flawed characters? I can't help it. I'm rooting for Rumpelstiltskin of all people. No, murder is not justified (nor is turning someone's dad into a pig). So I can't justify rooting for him. And yet I do.

At first I thought Charming boring but he's starting to grow on me. And I loved the dating advice talk.

It seems like this year they are stretching out the story by only focusing on small groups of characters versus touching a larger number.

Any day now Cora is going to start cackling. She needs more depth.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

How many people is Rumpel going to be exactly? Next up must be the Cowardly Lion.

This episode was kind of dull for me. Captain Hook's eyeliner was ridiculous, although the twist with the magic bean going to Never Land and Cora at the end were good. I also liked the moment we found out that one guys name was Smead.

Other than that, meh. This show is all about Emma, Henry, Snow and Charming to me with a dash of Regina and an episode with little of that (except for charming) isn't going to do it for me. Bring on next week!

ETA, I hope whatever vacation the actress who played Regina was on was a good one, since she basically got two episodes off.

Edited by My Way, Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:14 PM.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

To have Rumpel be part of every single story is taking this too far, so he's involved in every single fairy tale, ever?
It's pushing it too far, and I've generally liked his character. Although, I laughed at him "menacing" guy with red hat ( what was his name? William Meed, Sneede?). It didn't seem menacing, just silly.
Belle my word aren't you silly & easy to convince. He's not a good guy, he shows you very time, yet you believe his stories. You see him doing bad, terrible things with your OWN eyes, and then decide well he says he's changed. Woman, you deserved to go across the boundary.
I really like Ruby.
No Regina, and I was kinda ok with it.

Edited by msani19, Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:17 PM.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

I, for one, liked that she is actually staying true to wanting to help Rumple not be a monster. Just because she said she would like a meal with him does not equate to taking him back. If a meal is equalling a relationship, we'd have several wives and husbands each. Also, I lov ed that Belle is to be the town librarian. It'd be cool if she were to become the Oracle/Barbara Gordon of Storybrooke! If you need good, dependable info, ask Belle!

Red continues to be a breakout character who is just as BAMF-y as Snow. She's kind of like the protective older sister/cousin some of the characters need. I hope we get another Ladies' Night episode this season; it could be pretty funny.

I loved the tips to the Peter Pan tale, at least some of the Disney bits. I loved Eureka's Vincent as Smee, too bad he was creepy.

Mila: I'm not crazy about her, but while I understood why she left and stayed away, she left her son with a man she and others viewed as less-than. Why would she leave her son to endure what she couldn't/didn't? Her excuses were weak, imo.

Cora and Hook in a bad-guy tag team match? We just need a blind ref and I'm ready to rumble!

Edited by Actionmage, Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:18 PM.

fester01

fester01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

This episode seemed like a quick way to get rid of an extra character (Belle's Dad) by making him into a bad guy. The one time we see him in S1, he is a good guy. I just feel like TPTB didn't know what to do with him, so they killed him off. Did like Belle/Red together. Quite a group of ladies they've got going: Emma, Snow White, Cinderella, Red, and now Belle.

Am I crazy, or did the preview for next week's episode make it look like Dr. Whale is Dr. Frankenstein?

PS: Thread should be titled 2-4, not 3-4.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

msani19 Smee is Captain Hook's right hand man, so to speak, in Peter Pan. He's also kind of bumbling.

Edited by prodigalchicken, Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:16 PM.

Matt K

Matt K

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

This episode had it moments. Personally I was just getting sick of the constant Croc references from Rumple. It wasn't clear to me for a while why Hook called him a croc, but the "tick tock" was just a little much. I'm also glad that Belle is taking some agency because I just wasn't feeling her before this episode.

Also liked seeing Vincent from Eureka as Smee. Hope we get to see some more of him.

Edited by Matt K, Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:18 PM.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Milha never even asked about Baelfire... her own son!!! She chose a sexy man over her own child. I kind of don't blame the crocodile.

As for Belle, I'm glad she was able to put the situation back into her own terms.

Gotta love Ruby! ;)

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Okay, I like Rumpel and even I feel he became officially irredeemable tonight. You don't come back from ripping out your ex-wife's heart and killing her.

I still think he is redeemable, but that perception could be colored by the fact I didn't his wife all that sympathetic. She didn't tell him she was leaving, or divorcing, if that's an option in Fairy Tale Land. She ran away and abandoned her son, with a pirate, to boot. Good Old Captain Hook didn't strike me as a good guy, so her being all luv, twu luv with Hook didn't endear her to me.

However, Rumpelstiltskin shouldn't have killed her. She was still the mother of his son. On the other hand, she probably shouldn't have pissed off the crazy, powerful man. If Rumpelstiltskin killed a man for getting Bae's knee skinned, she didn't stand a chance by trying to justify her leaving by "I never loved you!"

I loved that Belle stood up to both Gold and her father. Gold may have lied to her to keep her away from her father, but he didn't try to mind wipe her, either. The father actually pissed me off more.

As long as Gold keeps being honest with Belle, and treats her well without trying to take her free will away, I think I can still root for the couple.

Am I the only one who thought Rumpel and Belle DID break up in this episode? I don't think she took him back at the end at all.

I think she's giving him hope, but she certainly didn't run into his arms, forgive him for everything, and say "let's go home, honey." Going for a hamburger doesn't sound like taking him back, at all.

I do foresee Hook trying to kill Belle for revenge against Rumpelstiltskin.

Vickilyn

Vickilyn

Couch Potato

OK, does anyone else think that Baelfire is going to turn out to be Peter Pan?

DrScheme

DrScheme

Fanatic

As a whole I thought the episode was "Meh".

I think Hook is super hot. I definitely don't mind the Guyliner and I am interested in exactly how he and Cora became allies but as a whole, the episode didn't grab me.

Though for me I usually am not as interested in an episode if Regina isn't up to something.

thinkpink2585

thinkpink2585

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

Ok, first I thought Mr. Smee was Peter Pan. His determination to be young again kind of lead me down that road. But that red hat seemed so familiar, from somewhere else in Peter Pan, it wasn't until he introduced himself that it clicked.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

That was my thought, too.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

"Dark One" is certainly an apt title for him.
Belle is treading a fine line between tough love and enabling. If it was me, I would've thrown the bum out entirely. Heh. I did do that. But Rumple isn't a bum. Yeah, if my ex could've spun straw into gold, or even worked in a gold mine, I might've agreed to go for a burger with him -- but probably not while I was busy getting my Master of Library Science degree. Good thing for Belle it looks like the Storybrooke Public Library doesn't require it.

I want Ruby for my BFF too!

And Charming is rapidly rising to the #1 spot on my list of fake boyfriends.

xqueenfrostine

xqueenfrostine

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

Mmmm men in guyliner? Yes please! The new eyecandy almost made up for the otherwise lukewarm episode. Oh, but I did love the way Hook's ship sailed into what looked like an aurora to head to Neverland. I'm thinking that might have been a shout out from the writers to Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials.

Empowerment of Belle in this episode aside (sooo happy to see she's not doomed to spend the season as Rumple's kept pet. That would be intolerable!), the Belle/Maurice/Gold plot was way weak. Belle came back to Gold after he unleashed a monster on the town which robbed Charming of his wife and daughter, Henry of his mother, and possibly harmed other townsfolk if Jefferson's overturned car is any indication. And then she just leaves after seeing Rumple tinker in his basement because he's not immediately forthcoming with an explanation? Great priorities Belle! Still, their showdown in the library was promising. If I'm ever to love this pairing, I think it'll only come after watching the two of them grow together on more or less equal footing. I think it's great that Belle is getting a job and her own place. If she wants to date Gold from that position, I can live with it but what they were doing before was dreadfully unhealthy and unworthy of a character like Belle. Especially when Gold was so controlling that he threw away the flier she drew to find her father. Not that Maurice was any better, but still.

Oh and that moment in the mines where Gold drew back Belle's cart was the lowpoint of the episode. I can bullshit on Red's awe of the magic he used. This is a lady who used to turn into a wolf and fought alongside with fairies in the battle to depose George and Regina. Gold's magic wasn't particularly noteworthy, and shouldn't have stunned her. Overall, Red was awesome this episode (who wouldn't want to be her friend?), but the writers failed her in that moment.

Oh! But I was glad that the show cleared up why Gold brought magic to our world. I hated the theory that he brought it back just to find his son. It seemed clear to me that Rumple/Gold was addicted to power and wanted it as much for its own sake as for its usefulness in locating his son. I was pleased that the writers had him not only own up to his cowardice in that regard, but get punished for it. He's lorded the logic of "Magic always comes with a price" over everyone who has foolishly made a deal with him for centuries. He deserves to have that come back to bite him in the ass.

Also, guess the Duke's soldier from Desperate Souls wasn't lying about Bae's mom leaving because she was sick of spending her life alongside a coward. Ha! As awful as she was for abandoning her son, I hated Rumple's self-righteous anger against Milah as he ripped her heart out over it. How is running off with a pirate, knowing you're at least leaving your son with a loving parent, any worse than letting your son slip into another world ALONE because you're too scared to keep your promise to him? They're both bad parents, Rumple has no leg to stand on in shaming anyone for it.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Thanks prodigalchicken!
And that's Vincent from Eureka, I kept thinking why do I recognize him!

toddringersdry

toddringersdry

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Between my shiny new TV boyfriend Captain Hook and next week’s return of the ultimate hottie, I am supremely happy right now. Er, except I suppose for having had to deal with smarmy sociopathic Gold being on my screen and providing the definition of hypocrite for an hour…but I can't complan"

Let me just roll around in unalloyed glee at the thought of this.

Edited by toddringersdry, Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:26 PM.

kennyab

kennyab

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

An episode without Emma, Snow, or Regina? Weird. But focusing on one story does make for a much stronger episode.

Cora and Hook working together? Fascinating. I love that the bad guys have bad guys. Hook was great. Definitely the strongest of the new additions. Lots of charisma (and pretty to look at), and his chemistry with Rumpel was great. And I love that that he has a legitimate beef with Rumpel and isn't just evil to be evil.

Go Red. Lady is seriously awesome. She can track, run a diner, drive a delivery truck, and she's a job creator. While I don't think it's at all necessary for a woman to have a guy in order to be fulfilled, I'd love to see her find someone. We know that's part of what she wants, and if anyone in that town deserves to have everything they want, it's her.

I really thought Belle was going to lose her memory. It would have been a great twist. I'm happy that she didn't, but it could have been an interesting path to pursue.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

The voiceover guy when this ep was promo'd totally lied to me. He said that if I thought Gold was evil wait until Captain Hook. No way was he half as bad. Rump actually killed his wife for leaving him. She had the guts to show up and confront the Dark One for the sake of her love, and he just snivielled and wussed when he came to get her back. Just gross. And Dumb-Belle took him back. Double gross. I am sticking with my position that Regina has a chance at redemption but this mutant has no soul left to be redeemed. I now add the hypocrisy of going on and on about how his wife abandoned thier son when HE abandoned him much much more cruelly to the old killing a mute servant to his list of sins and if they still have the nerve to say he is redeemed down the line I will be ill.