Too Cute!

• Please log in to reply

336 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 12:55 PM

Siberian Husky Howl-Off. I know Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes are different, but I had to think of the seven-puppy showdown that ended with Klondike and Avalanche trying to outperform each other.

Here's the description for Saturday night's ep from Wikipedia, which I think is the finale:

In this best-of episode: Bold little Maine coon kitten Lulu tries to help her dad get along with her siblings. Persian kittens prepare to be like their show cat mom, Truly Elegant. Siberian twins Mittens and Socks are rescued from the closet by Maksim, the cat of the house.

Also, be advised that Doctor Who is returning on BBC America. Adjust your schedules accordingly.

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

I wonder if Anya got some sort of hormone to help her to generate more milk than normal. That was a lot of babies to feed.

I was expecting to see the poor mother nothing but skin and bones six weeks later!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 12:41 PM

Approval Matrix from last week's New York Magazine. Even if it's tongue in cheek, no way does Too Cute! (or Too Cute! Kittens, which is how the show is labelled) belong that low and that far to the left.

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 18, 2013 @ 12:42 PM.

msburg

msburg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 1:34 PM

I wonder how many people have adopted rescue animals just from watching Too Cute?I know I myself am just wanted 2 episode away from adopting a cat or kitten. If that is a mission of the show, then the show has definitely succeeded.

[Raises hand] We just completed the application process and are waiting a match with the Collie Rescue League for New England.

I love this show, my daughter watches it on demand as she gets ready for school in the morning. I'm like you, Lantern. I prefer puppies to kittens any day of the week. Harmless stuff that eases stress and lightens my day (and week, up here in the northeast -- my brother had a close call at the Boston marathon...) It is truly an antidote to adulthood -- I just sit there and ooh and aww over how stinking cute they all are.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 7:23 PM

Much as I love this show, I feel it does a great disservice to domestic companion animals by focusing on how adorable they are and completely ignoring all the strays and unwanted furbabies left to die on the streets or in shelters.  I wonder if they aren't encouraging, on some level, the mind-set that "let's let the cat/dog have a litter so that precious little Murgatroyd can see how cute the babies are!" 

I want to see a periodic crawl across the screen, as well as disclaimer announcements during commercials, encouraging people to spay and neuter their pets.  Next step:  write to producers, APL and sponsors with the idea.

Or maybe they do that already and I just don't see it because my nose is always buried in my laptop. 

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 11:08 AM

Very good points, Lava Vavoom, especially since at least a couple of times, the animals featured were non-pedigreed "mutts"(for lack of a better term).  I also wonder if it's encouraging the "females need to have one litter to 'settle them down'" myth as well as "But we always find homes for the babies!"

msburg, I'm glad your brother is OK.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

msburg, I'm glad your brother is OK.

Ditto. I would have said something before, but the upgrade messed up my content. I didn't see your post until this thread was bumped up. Glad he and you are okay.

the "females need to have one litter to 'settle them down'" myth

I've never heard that one. The vet we went to used to tell us that it was better to have the females spayed so they don't risk infection. He also told us that pets live longer. My cocker spaniel lived to be 17-1/2 years old.

I'm surprised we are having to wait so long for new episodes since they don't seem that expensive to produce. This show is so popular I'd think they'd want to put out more quickly to keep us watching.

Landsnarkk

Landsnarkk

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 5:38 PM

GREAT points, Lava Vavoom.  The show is impossibly cute and a fun watch, save for that it's poorly scripted and cheesily edited, but I think it does a disservice to potential pets in shelters or pet stores who desperately need a loving home.

I understand the production company who shoots it and sells it to Animal Planet has one goal in mind: profit.  But Animal Planet I think has a greater responsibility to represent the need for stray cats or dogs to get adopted.  Perhaps they should direct the production company to shoot barn cats and show how the kittens will go to shelters to become adopted (skirting the truth about mortality rates of animals that need adoption so the show is still fun and not weepy), so that viewers will not go to purebred route to adopt, but will instead head down to the pet store or shelter to find kittens or puppies who's heads are literally (figuratively) on the chopping block.

msburg

msburg

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

A very belated thank you to smittykins and Sunshine.  I have to tell you -- my brother was a volunteer a block down the street from the bombings, and he's experiencing more than a little PTSD. 

I can see how this show could be used as a PSA for rescue animals, as well as spaying and neutering (spelling?  this looks wrong to me).  However, it's also educational in showing the viewer the natural tendancies of each breed.  It's why we decided to pursue rescued collies (with success -- we'll be welcoming our new four-legged family member in a few weeks).  I do feel like they could be upfront in how expensive these purebreds can run, and that most animals are not purebreds.

However, rescue animals would be a different show.  Having friends who foster rescue animals, that could be it's own show.  Welcoming stranded animals into their homes, earning their trust, sharing them with a grateful family.  It isn't the mission of Too Cute, and frankly I don't want that.  I am very happy with my little bit of escapism that I can share with my 8 year old daughter.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

Just saw a commercial for the new season, which begins on August 3. I saw puppies, kittens, a monkey in a diaper on a dog, and a bear cub. Now I gotta start looking up Wikipedia and Animal Planet's site for more details when they come.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 12:53 AM

Press release from Animal Planet. Here's something that has potential:

Proving that cute comes in all shapes and sizes and that opposites do attract, the special "Animal Best Friends" episode follows several newborn species and their unlikely animal friends. The featured pairs of furry pals include kangaroo and deer; baby baboon and golden retriever; teacup pig and Flemish rabbit, lamb and newborn goat; and bear cub and German shepherd.

Also found the title for the season opener via TVRage.com: "Puppies and a Piggy." Should be awesome. And I'd like to see a "Where Are They Now?" special down the line, if merely to see what happened to lil Pipsqueak.

Edited by Lantern7, Jul 16, 2013 @ 12:54 AM.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 9:05 PM

I've seen the new commercial for the upcoming season. I stop and watch it everytime it comes on.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

Article on upcoming season from New York Daily News. Among the dog breeds to be shown: a dozen Goldendoodle pups and Neopolitan Mastiffs. They're cute as puppies, but they grow up to look like monsters, especially with the huge jowls.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 12:35 AM

Scheduled episodes for this Saturday:

1 p.m.: Pit Bull/Chinese Crested/Collie (the one with Thor the solo "pibble" and all that exposed skin)

2 p.m.: General description: I think it's the first puppy episode, the one with Goldies, Labs and Shih Tzus

3 p.m.: Rhodesian Ridgeback/Chow Chow/Havanese (I'm drawing a blank)

4 p.m. Coton de Tulear/German Shepherd/French Bulldogs (the one with Pipsqueak the psychotic baby goat and the awkward water wings)

5 p.m.: Pugs/Mini Aussie Shepherds/Rottweilers (the one with the collars that itch and the Agility Pugs)

6 p.m.: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/Alaskan Malamute/Dalmatian (the one with the seven puppy howl-off)

9 p.m. & 11 p.m.: Shar-Pei/Cairn Terrier/Boxers (the one with all the damn wrinkles and the puppy concussion)

10 p.m. & Midnight: Chinook/Labradoodle/Dachshund (the one with the humiliating hot dog costumes)

ETA: We got an episode description for next week!

Twelve Goldendoodles take over the household, including the bed of of their piggy housemate, Trouble. A Westie pup tries to keep up with her twin brother who is always wandering off. And a batch of Swiss Mountain puppies take a while to find their stride.

A dozen puppies is still the high number to beat. And Swiss Mountain Dogs are pretty big, so that should make for some lumbering puppies.

Edited by Lantern7, Jul 27, 2013 @ 7:32 PM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2013 @ 12:02 AM

Those Westies were adorable.  I love the way they bounced when they ran, and their little tails wagging was just, well, too cute.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2013 @ 12:02 AM

Good episode all around. Trouble the Pig looked like he'd be . . . trouble . . . but he wound up getting a friend and a neighbor. The Swissy daddy had to be the scene-stealer of the night . . . he was such a sweet puppyhead. And nice that the Westie twins got to stay together with their new two-legged sisters.

Commercial has puppies next week. I'm pumped by the selection shown: Corgis, Akitas, Neapolitan Mastiffs (so wrinkly! so jowly!) and a pair of St. Bernard puppies rasslin' with each other.

ETA: All I've been able to find out is that August 17's episode is titled "Mischievous Puppies," and August 24 will present a countdown of the twenty cutest puppies.

Edited by Lantern7, Aug 5, 2013 @ 12:45 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 12:23 PM

Here's what we got for tomorrow night's episode:

A foursome of Neo Mastiffs have big paws to fill if they're going to be be guard dogs like Mom. A shy chihuahua puppy learns that her tiny family have big hearts. And a litter of seven English Setters compete for first place.

If you've never seen a Neapolitan Mastiff? Their faces are about 80 percent jowls. I would think their place of origin would be Chernobyl rather than Naples, because their faces look like they're melting. At least the puppies don't grow into the jowls like Shar Pei do with their wrinkles.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

I'm so excited. New episodes. New cute. The voice over in their new ad says, "wag it, baby". LOL.

Wag them tails you pumpkins.

I watched 2 episodes back to back.

The westies were precious doing their own version of a moon walk sliding backwards across the floor.

12 golden doodle pups to feed. I hope the mother got enough nutrition for herself. What a herd of cuteness. Sally doodle was especially cute with the white heart patch on her head and white on her chin.

A pinata filled with dog treats. I hadn't heard of that before. Loved those little bouncing pups.

The mastiff pups were cute when little. It was said they start drooling around 12 weeks or so. I'm grossed out by excessive drool.

Edited by SunShine Gal, Aug 10, 2013 @ 9:28 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 11:13 PM

If I see a Neapolitan Mastiff, I'm running away. Even the puppies got frightening when the jowls started coming it. And Mamma Mia's two-foot streamer of drool? Eeesh. The other Mastiffs were scary as well.

Way too Chihuahua family members in that house. Meanwhile, the English Setter starring puppies were awesome with the pointing, and the colors came in very nice as they grew up.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:52 AM

After stupidly watching "My Brother the Serial Killer" and an A & E Biography of Peter Sutcliffe (Yorkshire Ripper), I took someone's advice (from another thread) and did a Too Cute! marathon. I watched both of the new episodes. And bless their puppy hearts...it worked.

Loved them all but my favorites were the Westies and the Goldens.

I didn't watch the entire chihuahua part but the pinata was very cute. Great idea, dog biscuits in there. They didn't seem to mind a little dirt on their treats. 

As usual I liked the runts best...when there was one.  I had Victoria pegged as the 'best pup' of the setters, and wow, she was really a star from early on. I was so glad the two Westies got to stay together. 

I didn't like the pig, although it seemed gentle and it was cute when it loooved its grooming session. But, having grown up around farms, I know how they can be. I was afraid it would eat the puppies.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 8:44 AM

ScrubMonkey, only you could take me from cute puppies to a flashback of Mr. Wu's pigs on Deadwood!

Speaking of cute: my resident raccoon has 5 babies this year, and their antics keep me entertained for hours.  Their first taste of a hot dog (don't judge, its the only treat I can afford for them) elicited a Stevie Wonder impersonation - sitting on their haunches, taking a bite and looking skyward with pure bliss, slowly waving their head back & forth.  I have a giant wind chime that sounds like church bells but rarely chimes (not enough wind); one night they were ringing for so long I went out to check.  Baby runt raccoon was sitting under the chime listening raptly, when they stopped it would stand up on it's back legs and ring the clapper again.  Baby now serenades me nightly - it is fascinated with the music.  Wish I had a camera and the techno smarts to share that lovely sight with the world, 'cause it is just. too. cute.

BlueJayne

BlueJayne

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 12:35 PM

I love this show! I wanted to reach through the tv and pick up Sally the goldendoodle. What precious adorable little puppies! The Westies and Chihuahua's were also super cute. All those happy wagging tails.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

Incoming! Episode description for Saturday's episode is up:

A clan of Irish Terriers with an artistic streak meet their troublesome teenage brother. Eight wobbly Corgis lend a helping paw on the farm they call home. And, in a winter wonderland, a gentle Akita pup finds her place among her three burly brothers.

Corgis always win . . . they never look like they're having a bad day.

BigCheddar

BigCheddar

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 12:12 AM

Finally, an episode with Westies. They were adorable. 

I do get squicked out by the dogs who have a dozen puppies. 

Edited by BigCheddar, Aug 14, 2013 @ 12:14 AM.

ninjawirehead

ninjawirehead

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

My sister adopted two Westies for her kids this year. Adorable is an understatement.

Corgis! I am so looking forward to this Saturday's episode. I just absolutely LOVE Corgis.  Agree to what  you are say about them Lantern7. Those are some happy looking dogs.  I know someone that had an Akita many years ago, beautiful dogs and from what I understand, are quite loyal and protective of their families. So, if they are showing Akitas, could a litter of Shiba Inus be far behind? 

Does anyone know if there will be a kitten episode this season?

Edited by ninjawirehead, Aug 16, 2013 @ 10:31 PM.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2013 @ 9:37 PM

I loved the sibling relationships in this episode. Otis and Charlie, glad they got to stay together. And I knew they would keep Ella, so she could stay with Gianni.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2013 @ 12:00 AM

Corgis for the win, though the Irish Terriers were cute. Akitas were poofy like the Malamutes, though without the vocal stylings. I reckon Gianni the puppyhead was the designated screen stealer this week.

Next week: kittens! And we still have the miscellaneous animals in the mix as well. I'm still waiting on English Bulldog puppies, especially seeing one passing out on America's Cutest earlier on Animal Planet.

ETA: From Animal Planet's website for next Saturday . . .

8:00 PM

Top 20 Puppies
A special edition of Too Cute, counting down the twenty most adorable puppies.

9:00 PM
Puffy Beach Kitties
A pack of spotted Bengal kittens are bowled over by a lumbering Newfoundland. Four fluffy Norwegian Forest Cats dip their toes in the surf at their neighborhood beach. And, at a rescue home, two kittens find their way into the den mother's heart.

Edited by Lantern7, Aug 18, 2013 @ 12:54 AM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 1:19 PM

Norwegian forest cats. Are those like Siberians? 

I've heard both can be better for people with cat allergies.

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2013 @ 12:57 AM

They do seem to be similar. Here's a page describing the differences between Wegies, Siberians and Maine Coon cats.

Edited by riley702, Aug 20, 2013 @ 12:57 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

AV Clubs pokes a little fun at Saturday's countdown episode. You think the show will cheat and place Pipsqueak as the no. 1 puppy?