Too Cute!

• Please log in to reply

336 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

Years ago, Animal Planet had a half-hour show called That's My Baby. In each episode, audiences would follow an expectant mother (usually a bitch) through pregnancy. In the end, we'd see the babies and everything would be so damn cute.

In Too Cute!, we get to see the babies off the bat, from their earliest days to when they leave their first home. While a lot of the episodes have been cat-centered, dog-lovers can check it out as well. Also, there was one episode with baby three-toed sloths, which weirded out my mother. Only part I remember is seeing them shaved down to the skin, doused with mite-killing cream, then wrapped in bandages and put in PJs.

The latest season started last week, with three sets of puppies: Coton de Tulear, German Shepard and French Bulldog. The Cotons (is that the plural?) are on a farm, and they get a playmate in a baby pygmy goat named Pipsqueak who's the same age.as the puppies. But since goats and dogs develop differently, they're barely walking while she's jumping around and trying to headbutt them. I think the German Shepard puppies peak when they get stuffed into life jackets for a quick dip in the pool. Lots of falling over with those guys. Finally, the Frenchies were pretty cute, even though they're mother usually wanted to watch television.

Here's the website on Animal Planet's site. According to their schedule, next week will feature Labradoodles, Chinooks, and Dachshunds.

Edited by Lantern7, Oct 23, 2012 @ 11:58 PM.

cheeztoast

cheeztoast

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

I attempted to watch the marathon they had a couple weeks ago. I think I get cute overload on the web (usually at work, when my brain needs the fluff) so on TV I almost need something more gritty. The lack of any real purpose other than to "awwwww" is where they lose me. Cute pups fall down well, get covered in mud, get rescued, live happily ever after - that would be a story line. It's almost more entertaining watching big ugly animals attacking hunters or whatever.

Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

Last Saturday they had a few episodes featuring cats. I really like the show. cheeztoast I totally get what you're saying, but I'm the exact opposite. My job is pretty complex, so to have something so simple that I don't have to think about or concentrate on the plot, not to mention where I can go 'Awwww,' works great for me.

That being said, on one of the dog episodes, they showed a mother giving birth to her puppies, and she delivered the last one stillborn an hour after the rest of the litter. They showed one of the puppies (I think the first) as it was coming out of Mom, and while I didn't mind, it was a 'Whoa!' moment that caught my attention. Had to rewind the DVR a couple of times to check that out.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

In my book, there's no such thing as "too cute" when it comes to baby animals of any species. I'm all in, no matter how banal the narration may be. This show makes my mute button feel like it's part of the remote!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

Awesome . . . I'm not alone!

I probably need to see the episodes again to remember specifics . . . but I did get a kick out of the agility course-running pugs. Especially liked the mamma pug looking out a window, very forlonely, stuck at home with the pugs.

Any specific breeds you guys would want showcased? I vote English Bulldogs, because the puppies are so cute. The Frenchies were good, though . . . even with the play-fighting and the girl Frenchie screaming like a tape-recorder on fast-forward.

ninjawirehead

ninjawirehead

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Lantern, I would love to see Corgis, Greyhound and Shiba Inu puppies.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

In case anybody is reading this, there's a marathon on Animal Planet that'll run until 6 a.m.

I'd like to see Corgis. They never look like they're having a bad day.

ETA: Just saw a commercial. There's gonna be at least one doxie puppy in a hot dog costume. Awesome.

Edited by Lantern7, Oct 25, 2012 @ 11:54 PM.

buttered toast

buttered toast

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

This show is my Prozac. I love it beyond all reason. I hope they never change anything about it, and I hope that they film 1000 episodes.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

I've seen several of these shows. The one I remember mostly was with the little Jack Russell puppies. I love JR Terriers! One of the pups wriggles under the fence in the backyard and discovers it can't get back in. I don't like seeing the puppy distressed and afraid. The pup wanders around down the side of the fence looking for a different hole to squeeze through. The pup picks this tiny hole with jagged wood and starts to squeeze thru. I was yelling at the cameraman to put down that camera and grab that puppy before it gets hurt. Good for the puppy that it's okay, but I could have done without the anxious moments. I SOOOO wanted to hold that puppy and kiss its little ears.

I saw the one with the baby pygmy goat Pip-Squeak. I didn't know baby goats could jump up and down like that. Pip-Squeak was tons of fun to watch.

Edited by SunShine Gal, Oct 26, 2012 @ 8:42 AM.

rory

rory

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

I love Too Cute! Kittens. My only complaint is that there are only about 3 episodes and I've seen all of them. I want them to make more kitten episodes.

Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

Lantern, I'd love to see Maine Coon kittens (I have an adult Maine Coon & wonder if they're as disproportionately sized as kittens as they are as adults). Adults have large, long, lean bodies & ginormous paws, among other things. WRT dogs, I'd love to see a Caine Corso litter for the same reason (I've met a Caine Corso whose head was almost level with my shoulders, and I'm 5'7"), as well as Lhasa Apso (or any other 'rug' breed) because I can't imagine how those puppies would look. But I'm always up for cuteness regardless of species, breed, or size.

ninjawirehead

ninjawirehead

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

Aurora Borealis: They have done a show on Maine Coon kittens. Actually, it was re-ran last night: The show had Maine Coon, Tonkinese and American Curl kittens. I have a cat that is part Maine Coon. He has the facial structure, fluffy tail and snowshoe paws but he is half the size of a purebred. They sure are gorgeous felines!

As for cat breeds, I want to see Scottish Fold, Japanese bobtail and Korats.

Lantern, I second your motion about Corgis. They are so gosh darn cute. You best believe I was in squee mode when they showed Queen Elizabeth's dogs during the Olympic Opening Ceremony this year.

Aurora, hope this link works. It is a short clip about the Maine Coon kittens. It is located at the Animal Planet website, under Too Cute kitten clips. Should be the third clip.

Short clip of Maine Coon kittens

Edited by ninjawirehead, Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:57 PM.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

I'm a cat person but Corgi puppies would be divine. I might actually have to go out and get one!

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

This show reminds me of the episode of Dinosaurs where a TV network hires Earl to create new, IQ-lowering shows to boost ratings. One of those shows was "Box Full of Puppies," which was pretty much this.

My husband and I watch for the cuteness, but we also like laughing the things surrounding the cuteness--the narration, the music choice, the "viewer discretion" disclaimer, the attempt to create a story. My favorite "story" has been the two off-white Persian cats who somehow have an all-black litter. Coincidently, the male cat next door is black. Oops.

ninjawirehead

ninjawirehead

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

GeoBQn: I think the off white cats were Siberians, but yes I remember the narrator and the way he said "oops!" That was funny.

maggiethebeagle

maggiethebeagle

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

I just had to come here to post...I love this show! Also, my dog never pays attention to the TV, but whenever there are kittens on she will stare in rapt attention!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Note: The use of slow-motion makes any animal look majestic. That applies even to goofy breeds like French Bulldogs, Pugs and Dachshunds.

Speaking of Dachshunds . . . is it me, or does putting hot dog costumes on weiner dogs and making them race border on abuse? I know it's as offensive as cat juggling, but they could run without the outfits. Seeing the rivals fight throughout the episode was cute.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

I saw the one with the baby pygmy goat Pip-Squeak. I didn't know baby goats could jump up and down like that. Pip-Squeak was tons of fun to watch.

SunShine Gal - then you haven't seen the awesome video of the jingle bells goats. It is early, but Happy Holidays!

I like all breeds of kittens and puppies - would love to see other animals as well. I could watch this video of Cookie the Little Penguin just about every day.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 2:38 AM

Thanks, walnutqueen. Loved both videos!

I not only love the puppy episodes, but also enjoy watching the kittens and other animals. One of my friends has a Maine Coon Cat with a luxurious coat. I hope I can catch that episode in reruns.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

On Time Warner Cable, they have some of the episodes On Demand, as well as two "Xtra" clips. One of them has the newly-arrived pug puppies. The other involved the Rottweiler pups wrestling. Then they get manhandled by little kids. Best part was one of them kept hugging the little buggers, and the general plan for them was to go limp until the kid let go.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

I loved the tiny tuxedo cat, Oreo, and his search for a mother. That was so sweet and so sad.

ninjawirehead

ninjawirehead

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

I agree corvus13. Poor little Oreo! I admit though, I thought the scene where the kittens were being bottle fed was really cute.

rml24601

rml24601

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

I loved the French Bulldog episode, but I thought the editors were a little heavy-handed with the "momma-frenchie can't be bothered to leave her tv to check up on her puppies." I mean, c'mon, are you telling me that the family would let the puppies tousle by themselves in a playroom while the momma-frenchie was in the living room watching tv?? I have a hard time believing tv could hold a dog's attention for that long. Still, I'm a total sucker for these shows, keep 'em coming!

Pipsqueak the pygymy goat stole the show.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

There will be a puppies-centric episode next week. I saw some of the marathon today. My mother got squicked looking at the Sphynx kittens. Cats need fur, and those kittens were weird-looking. Naming 'em "Prune" and "Gremlin" is insult to injury. It was funny to see their dad visit, since he was wearing a jacket to keep warm.

Edited by Lantern7, Nov 4, 2012 @ 1:05 AM.

ninjawirehead

ninjawirehead

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

I hope they have a kitten episode soon. But I am more than happy to squee over puppies. Their little howls are beyond adorable.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

Bad news: I think this Saturday's episode might be the last new installment for a while. Here's the description:

Too Cute! (Season 2)
Spotted, Pampered Pups
TV-PG
A shy Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is coaxed out of her shell by her peppy aunt. Then, everyone wants to be top dog in the Alaskan Malamute home. Finally, three dalmations grow into their spots as they show off their skills at the local fire station.

The run-up will begin at 4 p.m. Here's the schedule:

4 p.m.: Pugs, Aussie Shepherds, Rottweilers
5 p.m.: Tuxedo Cat, Russian Blues, Ocicats
6 p.m.: American Curl, Tonkinese, Maine Coon (attention, Aurora Borealis!!!)
7 p.m.: Chinook, Labradoodle, Dachshunds
9 p.m.: Rhodesian Ridgeback, Chow Chow, Havanese

Edited by Lantern7, Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:11 PM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

dalmations? Really, Animal Planet?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

Alaskan Malamute puppies for the win. At five weeks old, they're about 90 percent fluff. Seeing the three Dalmatians was fun, even if poor Woodrow didn't get the best of his sisters at first. Liked how it took forever to get to his mamma, and he passed out with the nipple in his mouth.

ETA: New episode will air on November 24! Also, I swear that dogs were slated for the 9 p.m. slot tonight.

Edited by Lantern7, Nov 11, 2012 @ 12:14 AM.

MissKit

MissKit

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

Yeah, the Malamute pups were adorable, but those EYES on the Cavalier King Charles spaniel pups! They were adorable in so many ways.

jcoop13

jcoop13

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

Alaskan Malamute puppies for the win. At five weeks old, they're about 90 percent fluff.

And they stay fluff for the rest of their lives. For those who ever consider getting a Malamute as a pet, be forewarned. I know from experience. Definitely not the dog to get if you don't want to vacuum every/every other day.