Costumes: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

• Please log in to reply

75 replies to this topic

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

I really am enjoying the costumes shown on Once. How costuming is translating the canon dress of these fairy tale characters and adapting it to semi real world standards is almost as fun as figuring out which reality character is which fairy tale character. My favorite adaptations have been Red Riding's hood because it looks so lush and velvety. Also pretty much anything Snow White has on is awesome especially the white floor knee length coat she's been wearing.

LilWharveyGal

LilWharveyGal

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I did really like Snow's long white coat/tan(?) leggings combo since we've seen Regina wear the same ensemble in black. It's like the go-to look for Fairy Tale Land royalty.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

I have been waiting for a thread like this!

I did really like Snow's long white coat/tan(?) leggings combo

Me too. I liked how it kind of combines two aspects of her personality: the princess and the bandit warrior. It's stylish and practical at the same time. I liked her white princess gowns t0o -- well, except for her wedding dress, that wasn't as nice as I would have liked it to be -- but the purple gown she wore in "The Price of Gold" (and on this week's Entertainment Weekly cover) was really pretty.

Everything Regina's worn in the show so far is incredible.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

I just love Regina's clothes. Her Storybrooke pantsuits are classy, and her Evil Queen clothes are just FABULOUS.

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

My favorite thing is how Snow White almost always is dressed in some white clothing. I don't recall any other versions that did it, even though it's a really obvious clothing choice.

As far as favorite outfits, I think the cloak Belle wears when running away from Rumpel may be my favorite from the fairy tale world. This side though, I'm absolutely craving Emma's collection of leather jackets, especially the brown one. I also like the way they have her in leather like her father. It's a nice, subtle touch.

isamonic

isamonic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 2:22 AM

I did really like Snow's long white coat/tan(?) leggings combo

I very much agree here. I love Snow's new outfit. She's discarded her bandit outfit and seemed very committed in taking back her kingdom and the outfit she chose to reflect that is very awesome.

Jupiter84

Jupiter84

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

I love all of Snow's Fairytale outfits, but Regina's is just the best. My favorite was the cranberry colored dress she wore when she is first introduced to the Huntsman in Season 1 that was just so sexy and screamed Queen.

metsmvfn

metsmvfn

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

Here is video from the EW cover shoot with Once's costume designer talking about the pieces that Josh and Ginny are wearing for the shoot and for the show.

Behind the Scenes of EW cover

Medieval Girl

Medieval Girl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

If I'm thinking of the same dress Jupiter84 it is one of what I consider 80s prime time soap inspired dresses. So not one of my favorites. Of Regina's dresses my favorite is the one she was wearing last week when trying to escape. The best dress ever on the show is Abigail's in What Happened to Frederick. IMHO

This show has tuned me into a cosplayer.

Edited by Medieval Girl, Oct 19, 2012 @ 8:07 PM.

Fendaan

Fendaan

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

I mentioned this to my fiancee when watching We Are Both, but the style of Regina's dress when she's trying to escape her mother is very familiar. High collar and the puffy slashed sleeves. Remind anyone else of Disney's Snow White? I don't think it's meant to be a copy of the outfit, but it looks like it fits in the same fashion style.

Love

Love

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Love love love Red's dress and cape in Fairy Tale land. So much so that I am wearing a similar one to a Halloween party next weekend. Complete with red streaked hair.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

I can't believe Snow's wig costs 10,000.00. Though Ginnifer does look good in it.

Jupiter84

Jupiter84

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

Loved the leather outfit Regina wore when she finally turned 'evil' when ripping out the lady's heart and crushing it.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

I liked Regina's pre-evil training outfit. Reminded me a little of Snow's bandit wardrobe. Just goes to show you that Lana looks great in anything she's wearing, even if they're men's clothes.

Although I don't know why she had Daniel wearing a princely suit for his coffin. Then again, I don't know why Daniel was in a glass coffin at all; I thought she had a grave for him at the stables in "An Apple As Red As Blood."

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2012 @ 1:47 AM

As far as favorite outfits, I think the cloak Belle wears when running away from Rumpel may be my favorite from the fairy tale world.

I thought her clothes in Fairytale Land were so beautiful, and I loved that they paid homage to the Disney film.

I'm really keen on Rumple's getup as well. Is that alligator/crocodile skin he's wearing? I also loved Frankenstein's buttoned up frock coat.

metsmvfn

metsmvfn

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

FairyTale Couture

An exclusive video from Glamour Magazine about the costumes from "Once Upon A Time". Its a 7 minute video talking to the cast and creators of the show about the costumes and how they were created.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

This cracks me up:

“I want to burn that shit.” -the lovely Ginnifer Goodwin on wearing that light pink sweater for the entire first half of the season

Toughie

Toughie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

LOL when and where did she say that? Hilarious!

S7W9C2

S7W9C2

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

I love that too. I can't blame her.

It was in a link I posted in the spoiler thread. There's been a lot of media in Vancouver for interviews with the cast and it came from one of those. I can't wait to see the entire stuff.

Another mention is that one of the dresses Stana Katic wore on Castle is being redone or something for Once. Have no idea which one that can be. It's not like she's worn a lot of dresses.

Deirbhile

Deirbhile

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

Great video! Although my hate for the feather skirt from Snow's wedding dress is undaunted.

It wasn't until after "The Crocodile" that I realized Rumpel had been wearing the crocodile jacket, in various forms, all during the first season. How that escaped my notice, I have no idea.

(As an aside: I think of Ginnifer as a "Ginny," but I'm always slightly taken aback when they refer to Robert Carlyle as "Bobby.")

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

I ADORE the Doublet that Quinn wore. I would love to see that close-up.. or a pattern. It was simply amazing. I'd love to make one like it.

Deirbhile

Deirbhile

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

The Swarovski crystal beading against Charming's red jacket were beyond beautiful. They should come up with an excuse for him to wear that as often as possible.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

Rewatching season 1. Emma must have a closet of leather jackets. I really want the one with the hoodie that she wears in "The Stable Boy". On the commentary, Lana says that it is a replica of one that Jennifer owns.

ETA: Found who supplies them.

Edited by Writing Wrongs, Nov 25, 2012 @ 1:44 PM.

mileyavril

mileyavril

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

Another mention is that one of the dresses Stana Katic wore on Castle is being redone or something for Once. Have no idea which one that can be. It's not like she's worn a lot of dresses.

I love Castle, so that is going to be amazing!

All of the costumes in this show are just astounding. I can't imagine how long it takes to make all of them. This is kinda sad, but my favorite outfits from the show are always Emma's. I actually have every single color of the jackets she has... and similar boots...

toddringersdry

toddringersdry

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

She wears them well too; girl's got major lady swagger.

She may look like your standard long-haired blonde skinny starlet but she never acts overly feminine and I think that is truly helpful for her hardened character.

Edited by toddringersdry, Nov 26, 2012 @ 12:08 PM.

Deirbhile

Deirbhile

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

Aliasscape just posted a link to a nice, long interview with Lana Parilla from an Australian paper, and because I had just finished saying somewhere that Lana always looks like she's having full when she's dressed in Full Evil Queen regalia, this disabused me of that notion!

Suggest that the Evil Queen’s outfits must make it both hard to breathe and keep co-stars' eyes on her face and she laughs long and hard.

“Yes that was intentional,” she says drolly. “ ‘BOOBS!! She needs to have bigger boobs’!” she suddenly exclaims, as if quoting some imaginary director eyeballing her cleavage with dissatisfaction.

“It's very difficult to breathe in those things,” she continues. “I once ate a quarter of a cheeseburger and it got stuck - stuck in the middle of my chest. I couldn't even swallow it. I had to remove the corset in order to swallow it and then, that was it - I went on a liquid diet.

“It's very, very challenging not only to eat but to go to the bathroom is probably the most challenging thing. Which, again, results in not eating, not drinking, so you're dehydrated by the end of the day. I have no nutrition in this body whatsoever!

“And the other day, I am in the middle of the forest in pouring rain in Vancouver and I'm on a horse hunting Snow White down and I have to go to the bathroom but I'm in this huge gown. Where do I go?

“I have to walk down through the forest and go into this porta-potty deal. I need two people to help me go to the bathroom. That is definitely NOT my comfort zone. I'd rather be alone when I go to the bathroom!"

She laughs again at how preposterous it all sounds - two people and an Evil Queen squeezed into a Vancouver forest portaloo. You have to ask whether she's joking.

"No," she enunciates with dry amusement in her most precise Mayor Mills tones. "I'm not."

Jupiter84

Jupiter84

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

The outfit the Evil Queen wore when she was with Hook was FAB-U-LOUS. Her outfits(as the Queen) really are the best.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

The outfit Regina was wearing when Cora was in the coffin reminded me of the Evil Queen in the animated Snow White movie. That was a nice touch. She looked too modern in the first scene with Hook.

Love

Love

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

Loved the gowns. Hated the hair.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 2:35 AM

The outfit Regina was wearing when Cora was in the coffin reminded me of the Evil Queen in the animated Snow White movie. That was a nice touch. She looked too modern in the first scene with Hook.

Yes! I was living for that outfit! The best thing I've ever seen her wear thus far. Loved the headpiece in particular.