S.H.I.E.L.D.: Joss Whedon Returns

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

239 replies to this topic

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 12:57 AM

Maybe J. August Richards is going to be Gabe Jones? Or Clay Quartermaine? Sorry, just a geekgirl daydreaming.

ChicagoRedshirt

ChicagoRedshirt

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 8:04 AM

They may have J. August Richards be Nick Fury for the purpose of the show, because they presumably can't get Samuel L. Jackson to play the role on a regular or even recurring basis.

Alternatively, he might be Nick Fury's brother, Jake Fury.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 8:32 AM

That would just be confusing. Why bother with Cobie Smuthers and Clark Gregg if they're just going to be reacting people from the Marvel universe anyway?

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD...what an awful name and an unnecessary bit of branding. Agents of SHIELD would sound a little better but the full title just sounds clunky as hell.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 3:08 PM

If J. August Richards plays Nick Fury, what would Cobie Smuthers do on this show then? Her character probably joined SHIELD fairly recently and having her interact with a younger version of Nick would cause unnecessary timeline issues.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

I wondered if J August Richards might just be playing a certain Mr. Luke Cage, but I figured he might be too significant a character to be appearing as anything other than the star of the show or a big name guest.

The reason his role is being kept a secret is surely because he's playing a character that Marvel fans would know. I would be surprised if he's Fury or related to Fury, because I agree that Coulson and Maria Hill would seem a bit redundant in that case.

RedHoodie

RedHoodie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

The reason his role is being kept a secret is surely because he's playing a character that Marvel fans would know.

I'm figuring it's going to end up being Nick Fury, Jr (aka Marcus Johnson), which would give the show a connection to Fury that's not an already established (in the movies) agent.

Luke Cage and T'Challa are probably both out as options for him to play. Marvel wants movies involving both of them. A solo Black Panther movie, and a Heroes for Hire movie for Luke, so they'll leave casting of those characters up to whoever gets those movies in production.

ChicagoRedshirt

ChicagoRedshirt

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 12:18 AM

That would just be confusing. Why bother with Cobie Smuthers and Clark Gregg if they're just going to be reacting people from the Marvel universe anyway?

If J. August Richards plays Nick Fury, what would Cobie Smuthers do on this show then? Her character probably joined SHIELD fairly recently and having her interact with a younger version of Nick would cause unnecessary timeline issues.

We don't know that they'll get Cobie back for sure, just that she'd be interested.

It wouldn't be all that confusing, IMO. People would realize that SLJ would likely be unavailable/unwilling/too expensive to be cast in a weekly TV series. And just like people get over that Rhodey didn't have plastic surgery between Iron Man I and Iron Man II, people could accept that J. August Richards is Nick Fury (if Whedon and co. wanted to do that).

It makes more sense to me that he would be Gabe Jones or another agent, though.

Luke Cage and T'Challa are probably both out as options for him to play. Marvel wants movies involving both of them. A solo Black Panther movie, and a Heroes for Hire movie for Luke, so they'll leave casting of those characters up to whoever gets those movies in production.

The show's description seems to emphasize it's about purely human, non-powered people. So Luke Cage and Black Panther are both out, since both have super powers. (Cage has steel-hard skin and super strength, and Panther has enhanced speed and senses through taking a special herb). Plus, neither are particularly connected with SHIELD.

The only established Marvel superhero I could see J. August Richards possibly playing (at least within the announced parameters of the show) is Falcon, as strictly speaking, Falcon doesn't so much have powers (only some tech that allow him to fly if you don't count a psychic connection with a falcon) and he also has a SHIELD link.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 11:32 PM

The only established Marvel superhero I could see J. August Richards possibly playing (at least within the announced parameters of the show) is Falcon, as strictly speaking, Falcon doesn't so much have powers (only some tech that allow him to fly if you don't count a psychic connection with a falcon) and he also has a SHIELD link.

But they've already announced that Falcon will be in Captain America 2, and not played by JAR. I doubt they'd have one actor playing him on TV and another in the movie coming out a few months later.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

But they've already announced that Falcon will be in Captain America 2, and not played by JAR. I doubt they'd have one actor playing him on TV and another in the movie coming out a few months later

They do casting switches all of the time. In Buffy The Vampire Slayer Buffy was played by Kristy Swanson in the movie but Buffy was played by Sarah Michelle Gellar in the tv series, in Iron Man Dusty was played by Terrance Howard but in Iron Man 2 Dusty was played by Don Cheadle. And that's just two examples.

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

In Buffy The Vampire Slayer Buffy was played by Kristy Swanson in the movie but Buffy was played by Sarah Michelle Gellar in the tv series,

the show was a reboot of the concept not a continuation, hence the actor change.

in Iron Man Dusty was played by Terrance Howard but in Iron Man 2 Dusty was played by Don Cheadle. And that's just two examples.

James Rhodes/Rhodey was recast because of contract issues with Terrance Howard. They already have an actor, Anthony Mackie, under contract to be Falcon in Captain America 2, why would they get a second actor to play him in the TV Series only to switch him out for the movies? JAR is probably cheaper than Anthony Mackie, if they think he's good enough to play the Falcon in the show they'd save the money and use him for the movies as well.

ChicagoRedshirt

ChicagoRedshirt

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 10:13 PM

Keeping in mind that this is just random speculation and idle discussion...that there's no reason to believe that SHIELD would have Falcon, etc., etc.

Whatever contract Anthony Mackie signed to play Falcon in Cap 2 presumably was signed before this SHIELD series was a glimmer in anyone's eye.

So there are at least some potential scenarios where they couldn't get him to play the Falcon on TV, or wouldn't get him to play Falcon on TV.

1. Anthony Mackie declined because he doesn't want to be typecast as Falcon.
2. Anthony Mackie declined because he has too many competing projects to be Falcon.
3. Anthony Mackie declined because he doesn't have the interest to commit the time and energy to do a weekly TV series.
4. The studio wasn't willing to pay Anthony Mackie what he wanted to be Falcon on TV.
5. The studio thought that Anthony Mackie wasn't a good enough Falcon to have him continue, based on what has been done so far on Cap 2.
6. Joss Whedon REALLY REALLY wanted his guy JAR to be Falcon since they had a good previous working relationship rather than Anthony Mackie.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 12:42 AM

But since they are presumably hoping that the series would continue for more than one season, the result would be two different actors playing the same character at the same time and quite possibly interacting with characters who appear in both the series and the movies played by same character. I think the producers would find that unnecessarily confusing to the audience. Which is why it seems unlikely to me that JAR is playing Falcon.

ChicagoRedshirt

ChicagoRedshirt

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 7:55 AM

Obviously ideally, it would be best to have the same actor played by the same character. But I think people are overestimating how much confusion having different actors play the same character might cause.

No one was puzzled because Tom Welling was playing young Clark Kent while Brandon Routh was playing grown-up Clark Kent/Superman when "Superman Returns" came around.

No one requires Andrew Garfield to voice Peter Parker in the current Spider-Man cartoon.

People might be like, "Huh." But then they'd get over it.

For what it's worth, Whedon seems to be creating new characters for the most part instead of using ones directly from the comics. I don't know if that's a royalty issue or an avoid-preconceived-notions issue or a creative-license-to-do-what-he-wants issue or what. I mean, Whedon can't exactly kill Falcon or Gabe Jones or Nick Fury Jr. or anyone else established, and would probably have to get more clearance from Marvel before putting those types of characters through the ringer like he does with most of his characters.

Firebunny

Firebunny

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 9:10 AM

No one was puzzled because Tom Welling was playing young Clark Kent while Brandon Routh was playing grown-up Clark Kent/Superman when "Superman Returns" came around.

But in that situation Smallville and Superman Returns didn't take place in the same universe. There were different Lois Lanes, Martha Kents, etc. What happened in Smallville had no effect on what happened in Superman Returns and vice versa. (The same goes for the animated series and movies.)

Presumably the events of the Avengers movie will be part of these characters' history even if some of them weren't directly involved in it. And if Marvel/ABC/Disney really want to have synergy, the show will start building the premise of the next movie. To have different actors in the same rolls would be like if they'd cast new actors to play Mulder and Scully in the X-Files film.

Edited by Firebunny, Apr 12, 2013 @ 9:11 AM.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 11:38 AM

I don't see Falcon appearing in this show, simply because I don't think Marvel would okay that when they know the character is appearing in Captain America 2. The editors of the various comic books have always been careful to let writers know what characters are available and what characters aren't, and I wouldn't expect the movie division to be any different.

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 12:23 PM

To have different actors in the same rolls would be like if they'd cast new actors to play Mulder and Scully in the X-Files film.

This sums it up perfectly.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 4:56 PM

Bad analogy, IMO. Mulder and Scully were the leads, the Falcon is just one of an ensemble cast. A better analogy would be saying they cast a differnt Cigarette Smoking Man or a different Alex Krycek and personally I don't think very many people would be hyperventilating over that.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

And now for the shocking news, this show got an official pickup:

http://tvbythenumber...-by-abc/181851/

You didn't see it coming, did you? ;)

I hope we get a trailer and reviews soon.

quazimodo

quazimodo

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 6:44 PM

Knew it was going to happen but still glad to hear it officially. Really looking forward to this one.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

That link was pulled, I guess ABC didn't like one of the stars of the show posting that info before they can issue an official press release.  However it's just a matter of time before it becomes official.

BigCheddar

BigCheddar

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 11:47 AM

I can't wait for this show. 

So now we know it's picked up. I just have to worry about it being cancelled after a dozen episodes. I'm sick of getting into shows where a big part of the experience is dreading seeing the ratings every week.

Still, too early to start worrying about that, I guess.

I feel that way about Community.  I would always check the numbers a couple of days later. 

I dread that this show could go the way of The Sarah Connor Chronicles or Revolution.  It started off really well in the ratings and just kept falling.  Especially when there's a lot of hype at the beginning of this kind of show.

Edited by BigCheddar, May 10, 2013 @ 12:44 PM.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

So now we know it's picked up. I just have to worry about it being cancelled after a dozen episodes. I'm sick of getting into shows where a big part of the experience is dreading seeing the ratings every week.

Still, too early to start worrying about that, I guess.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 7:09 PM

Official announcement. They will show a teaser during the season finale of Once upon A Time on Aunday.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 7:41 PM

With a fancy new logo and official description:

Clark Gregg reprises his role of Agent Phil Coulson from Marvel’s feature films as he assembles a small, highly select group of Agents from the worldwide law-enforcement organization known as S.H.I.E.L.D. Together they investigate the new, the strange, and the unknown across the globe, protecting the ordinary from the extraordinary. Coulson’s team consists of Agent Grant Ward (Brett Dalton), highly trained in combat and espionage, Agent Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen) expert pilot and martial artist, Agent Leo Fitz (Iain De Caestecker); brilliant engineer and Agent Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge) genius bio-chemist. Joining them on their journey into mystery is new recruit and computer hacker Skye (Chloe Bennet).

From Executive Producers Joss Whedon (“Marvel’s The Avengers,” ”Buffy the Vampire Slayer”); Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen, “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” pilot co-writers (“Dollhouse,” “Dr.Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog”); Jeffrey Bell (“Angel,” “Alias”); and Jeph Loeb (“Smallville,” “Lost,” “Heroes”) comes Marvel’s first TV series.  “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” is produced by ABC Studios and Marvel Television.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 7:46 PM

Agent Coulson's looking a little badass with those shades.

Glad it got picked up; I just hope Whedon does what he does best (and avoids his weaknesses as best he can), and people actually watch.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 8:46 PM

Chloe Bennet looks like an Asian River Tam. just sayin'...

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

I like the fancy new logo. 

Edited by TVspectator, May 10, 2013 @ 9:35 PM.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 3:30 AM

ABC had a bad year this year with new shows, and they didn't launch any new hit. Shield is their best chances of a hit next year and the pilot that has the most buzz, so I think they'll do whatever they can to make sure it becomes a hit, and the only thing left to worry about is whether the episodes themselves will deliver.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 3:46 AM

ABC had a bad year this year with new shows, and they didn't launch any new hit. Shield is their best chances of a hit next year and the pilot that has the most buzz, so I think they'll do whatever they can to make sure it becomes a hit, and the only thing left to worry about is whether the episodes themselves will deliver.

I agree with you, I think they definitely plan on it being a hit, and if it's at least half decent, it should get decent ratings. But I just hope their expectations aren't too high, that they expect it to be some sort of monster hit, and keep those same ratings all year. Hopefully the fact it's tied in to the movie universe will make it more important for ABC, and their bosses at Disney, than your average show.