Barbara Hershey as Cora: Mommie Dearest

• Please log in to reply

94 replies to this topic

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 2:00 AM

My thought at the time was, if Regina has been such a disappointment, why are you tutoring another woman who displays some of the same "failings" Regina did?  
I think it's because Anastasia was in the same situation, having to choose between a potential royal alliance and love, and she broke up with Will to become a queen. She chose power over love the same way Cora did with Rumple. Regina was also born into royalty while Cora and Anastasia weren't but they maneuvered themselves into a far higher station in life. And yes, when Will made that teary-eyed romantic speech about the wagon she was going to go with him and change her mind but ultimately Cora was able to manipulate her into staying. She might have learned something from brutally murdering Daniel right in front of Regina and if she had to do it again I wouldn't be surprised if she just took Daniel's heart or quietly killed him like Rumple did Gaston and just convinced Regina he never loved her and r

EllyM

EllyM

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 2:48 AM

InsertWordHere

Cora did not say daughters plural. As Rumsy4 said, the line was daughter's, as in,"my daughter has been a disappointment to me."

Yup! Sorry, I was mistaken/confuzzled.

if Regina has been such a disappointment, why are you tutoring another woman who displays some of the same "failings" Regina did?

First, I think that might not be entirely true. Regina never wanted to marry into royalty. Anastasia chose to leave Will of her own accord, so she only risked having the same "failings" when she regretted that decision. But she didn't full-on have the same failings as Regina.

Now, if it were true, it would still make a little bit of sense... From what I know of pop psychology, some people get themselves into situations that they hate with with the purpose (though not on purpose, they don't even notice or think about it, and if you pointed it out they would--or we would--deny it and/or get hostile) ...to win. "Maybe, just this time, let me do it right and give me a win."

Part of the subconscious doesn't recognize that the situation itself was a bad loss, and refuses to be defeated on that issue. Here's a really good essay about this recurring theme in Once Upon A Time.

Edited by EllyM, Mar 23, 2014 @ 3:02 AM.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

Please don't use spoiler tags if the episode has already aired. This goes for any show, not just Once Upon a Time. Thanks.

Ella123

Ella123

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 3:57 PM

As I said, it wasn't as obvious as the sob stories for Regina and Rumple.  But having an alcoholic father, being treated unfairly by the upper society and wanting to improve her life, ripping out her own heart even though she was in love, capped off with the "You would have been enough line" as she died.  It's definitely a YMMV situation but I can say I personally felt emotionally steered towards at least some sympathy for her.  If not, why should anyone care or be at all affected that she seemingly finally found her humanity in her moment of death?

I just don't see why the writers who work with sledgehammers would make Cora the exception to the rule. But agree to disagree.

As for the enough line, I loved it, not because I thought she found her humanity but because I saw it as her last hurrah to manipulate her kid. It's the same type of line when Pan asked Rumpel to join him or when Malcolm begged Rumpel after he stabbed him. It's also the reason why I thought she told Rumpel she truly did love him when he asked. Because it hurts more and that means power for Cora even when she's dead.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 6:02 PM

I agree about why she told Rumpel that she loved him; she hadn't had her heart restored yet, so she could truly be that cold and admit that she did love him once and that that was the very reason that she removed her own heart in the first place -- to avoid being distracted by her love for him from achieving her goal to gain as much power as possible.

I disagree, however, with the idea that telling Regina that she would have been enough (after her heart had been restored) was just another last-ditch attempt at manipulating Regina.  Remember that the whole reason that Cora removed her heart in the first place was so that she wouldn't be distracted -- or, as she would have put it, "weakened" -- by any form of love, not even maternal love for her own daughter.  Cora was simply never capable of loving Regina until after her heart had been restored, and her expression immediately after having it restored was one of someone who had only just experienced that emotion for the first time, which made it that much more tragic for Regina in that the very moment that she finally got her mother's love and approval was also the very moment that she lost Cora forever.  The logical conclusion, therefore, was that Cora really did love Regina for the first time right then -- she just wasn't that good of an actress to fake something like that, especially in her dying moments.