The Greatest Event in Television History: Someone Get Jon Hamm a Blankie!

• Please log in to reply

67 replies to this topic

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 3:26 AM

Was surprised it was a remake. But it was a great remake. Paul Rudd was underused though.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

That was made of win. Who knew a remake of Simon and Simon would be so awesome. Now I'm stoked for the series.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

That's just a masterpiece of straight-faced parody of show business taking itself preposterously seriously (as it does -- good for Probst for knowing that he's a prime example), and of all these behind-the-scenes features that are supposed to blow our minds with the inside information. And all as if remaking one minute of 1980s credits were an artistic goal worthy of Orson Welles.

Alan Sepinwall makes the Greatest Event available, as well as the original credits for comparison. And a link to a semi-synced pairing of the two.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Adam Scott did a lot of promotion of this event on Twitter, and I am happy to say he did not over promise. Made my night!

sunrise65

sunrise65

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

That was fun!

morgankobi

morgankobi

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

I now need to find some old episodes.
Ahh, nostalgia...

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

"Jon Hamm. Died. That night."

That was fantastic.

meepster

meepster

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

Loved the green moustache!

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

Aww, I was a huge fan of the show back in the day.

cynicat x

cynicat x

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

That was all sorts of awesome. I loved Adam Scott trying to introduce himself to John Hamm. "Don't talk to me!"

This Page shows the video of the program as well as the original S&S opening so you can decide for yourself if they achieved greatness

eta: Just noticed this is the same link as Rinaldo posted. D'oh!

Edited by cynicat x, Oct 14, 2012 @ 5:20 AM.

Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

I can't remember the last time I saw anything so simultaneously stupid and brilliant at the same time. I feel the world is a little better place for Adam Scott, Jon Hamm, and Paul Rudd being friends.

pakelihe

pakelihe

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

That was just made of win. How is there not an IMDB page for this yet? Kathryn Hahn was an unexpected treat, for sure.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 5:22 AM

This show wasted 15 minutes of my time to beat a single joke into the ground.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

I disagree that there was just one joke, there was one premise but there were many jokes concerning that premise.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

Just saw the second special. Question relating to that and the first special: when you see Jeff Probst after midnight, do you get ready to cringe?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 12:12 PM

Dammit, between the NBA Finals and Totally Biased I forgot about the new one last night.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 12:21 PM

It's on youtube.

pakelihe

pakelihe

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 9:56 AM

I thought it was great, but not as greatest as the first one. I'm not sure that the source material had as much potential as S&S. Amy and Adam and Nick and Paul look like they had a bunch of fun, and it was certainly worth 18 minutes of my life. Like the first, I found it much funnier than most sitcom episodes.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

I thought it was great, but not as greatest as the first one

This.  Plus I liked the fact everything about the first one being a surprise; Jon Hamm was co-starring in it, what The Greatest Event...actually was.  Also I didn't like how they kind of dissed the first one, instead of saying that wasn't the greatest event they could've said we found another greatest event.

cynicat x

cynicat x

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 9:58 AM

I thought it was great, but not as greatest as the first one

Me three.  The beauty of the Simon & Simon remake was that it was such an obscure yet familiar choice as a show opening.  Not one that tends to come to mind when thinking about theme songs. Hart to Hart seemed less random since it was a similar era and basically the same joke. If they do another one, I think they'll not only have beaten the horse, but made dog food out of it.

godonlyknows

godonlyknows

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2013 @ 5:15 AM

There's a new one for Too Close to Comfort - http://popwatch.ew.c...sion-history-3/

It seemed like a game of spot the Parks & Rec guest stars.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

Even though I actually watched Too Close For Comfort a lot as kid in the 80s(before I knew enough to turned on by Ted Knight's two daughters) I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two because the end result wasn't as fun to watch as the "making of" documentary. The Simon and Simon and Hart To Hart credit remakes you can watch over and over but this one was too short. I did like Catherine O'Hara thinking this was a cover for the new Star Wars movie and also the "ghost of Jon Hamm"!

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Nov 9, 2013 @ 12:47 PM.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 1:42 PM

I saw a list on another website, they mentioned other possible shows to do, Bosom Buddies was mentioned, I think that would be perfect. This one was indeed too short, and not nearly as hokey as you would think it would be.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 3:49 PM

Bosom Buddies would be awesome! Not only because they get to use the Billy Joel song "My Life" but I always loved the bit where they're at a market and one of them tosses fruit behind him and the other catches them with a bag.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 4:56 PM

This one was indeed too short, and not nearly as hokey as you would think it would be.

I agree.  The finished product couldn't compete with "the ghost of Jon Hamm."

But I do giggle at Jeff Probst saying he feels like a butthole.  Just because I do feel the same way about him.

Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 5:43 PM

Adam Scott trying to sit was ridiculously stupidly funny. 

I do agree that longer credits are better. Someone elsewhere suggested "Love Boat," which would be fantastic. 

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 6:50 PM

There is awesome camp factor in Love Boat! Great idea! You can also have a lot of goofy celeb cameos.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 8:23 PM

It'll be hard to top this Love Boat spoof from YouTube.

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Nov 10, 2013 @ 8:24 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 10:56 PM

I would love to see one of  Eight is Enough where they have to make that football pyramid!

Of course if Adam Scott wanted to sing the theme that would be a plus as well.

Edited by vb68, Nov 10, 2013 @ 10:59 PM.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 11:06 PM

"There's a plate of home-made wishes on the kitchen window sill..."