The Music of Nashville: Music City USA

• Please log in to reply

145 replies to this topic

Blimpie123

Blimpie123

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

I went to my local Target this morning to get the deluxe version and they were sold out...I had to reserve one at the store closest to where I'll be spending the holiday and ask a friend to pick up. They said that it was sold out there too by the time they got it. Irritating for me, since I can't hear it til Christmas, but good news for the soundtrack! I hope this means good things for a second season!!! *fingers crossed*

Anyone else seeing this type of thing in their Target?

Edited by Blimpie123, Dec 15, 2012 @ 6:33 PM.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

What do you mean deluxe version? Is there more than one version of the CD being sold at Target?

Blimpie123

Blimpie123

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

Yes, there are two versions of the CD available, but only Target has the deluxe version which features additional tracks not on the regular cd. They are:

Target Exclusive:12. Iíll Be There13. Loveís Ring Of Fire/Clare Bowen14. Undermine (Acoustic Version) 15. Changing Ground

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

Jon Caramanica of the New York Times has a review of the soundtrack: 'Nashville' Soundtrack as Co-Star.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

I just saw the you tube with the full song "Telescope". I could not believe how good it was! We really only heard a minute of the song on the show, at the very beginning of the first episode, while we watch Reyna get inconvenienced. Then we got a bit of an acoustic version by the daughters, but what I'm saying is the show doesn't really let you hear the original version.

Hayden does a great job, and there's a nice and dirty slide guitar solo, too.

Guess I'll have to listen to more of these in the couple weeks we're waiting for new episodes.

PS Just checked out "Undermine" and "For your glory". "For your glory"- was that the hymn she sang? It is fantastic! So beautiful and heartfelt.

Edited by Midru, Dec 19, 2012 @ 1:06 AM.

katykc

katykc

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

Amazon has the Season 1 soundtrack on sale today for $3.99

Blimpie123

Blimpie123

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

Good news for the Nashville Soundtrack from Billboard:

http://www.billboard...008058992.story

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 23, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

I thought I would try to summarize the "new music" in the characters for the show:

Gunnar, Scarlett: As far as I know Gunnar has no other albums with previous bands. He and Scarlett presumably recorded 3 songs for Watty White, two of which we saw them do in the recording studio (If I didn't know better and Fall into you). They also wrote When the right one comes along. They were shown writing I think two different songs we don't know if they finished. Gunnar did have another band in an early episode that seemed very traditional, but they have not been heard from since. We know Gunnar has been in town three years.

Avery: He and Scarlett seem like they hit town just before the show begins. Not sure if any of his music was recorded. We have only heard him do songs on stage. No reference made to new music, but if he's recording with the Wyclef Jean character he's not going more traditional.

Juliette: She has released two multiplatinum albums. Presumably "Telescope" is her new single, and is off the second album. ("Love like mine", too) She wrote and recorded "Undermine" with Deacon. She and Deacon were also in the studio working on another song (don't know the title). Juliette was also seen recording vocals for a third song (and appeared to be serving as her own engineer). And she cowrote the "Wrong Song" with Reyna.

(Let's not forget that in the first few episodes, much was made about three songs Reyna and Juliette's producer picked that Reyna passed on, then changed her mind only to find out Juliette had just grabbed them. Presumably those would be for her third album, too.)

Reyna (Rayna?): There are several references to older hits- I remember us seeing "American Beauty" and "No one will ever love you". Her first album went triple platinum. "No one..." is one of her earliest hits. In the pilot she had just released an album that was tanking. Somehow she has never released a greatest hits album.

Since the pilot she wrote her own song ("Buried Under"). She promised Liam that if he worked with her there would be no banjo, mandolin, or fiddle because wasn't going to do things half-assed. So she basically committed to doing an entire rock album. And she cowrote "Wrong Song." I'll be super interested to see Reyna's next new music, what direction it takes.

I just wanted to put this up to help us figure out what is supposed to be their new music vs. their old music. I think this is all of their new music so far- please add to or correct as needed.

Edited by Midru, Dec 23, 2012 @ 4:07 PM.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of country music (don't really like most songs) but I was considering getting the soundtrack to support the show. Unfortunately, only 1 of JJ's songs made it on the album--it looks like--so I think I'll just get "Twist of Barbwire" because I think it's the only one I don't have yet. I also already have "If I Didn't Know Better" (which I'm kind of already tired of listening to).

I'm a biased fan and I'll freely admit it.

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 8:15 AM

Nice AP story about the show's music from 12/11/12: How The Songs Shape The ABC Show.

Pretty illuminating about the recording process in Nashville in general and why the show's performances have resonated with so many viewers:

Buddy Miller says these days it's not unusualfor duet partners to cut their love songs syllable by syllable while never evenseeing each other: "In this town especially that's what happens."

That's why the veteran Music City producer and band leader was so astounded by what he witnessed in the early days of working on the music for the television show "Nashville." He was nervous about his session with Clare Bowen and Sam Palladio because their song "If I Didn't Know Better," written by John Paul White of The Civil Wars and Arum Rae, was challenging and served as a pivotal moment in the pilot. It had to be right, and that depended on the young actors being able to pull it off.

"They didn't know they didn't have to memorize the song or look each other in the eyes when you're singing a love song," Miller said. "For those two who'd never sung in a studio before to go in there, look each other in the eyes with the song memorized and sing the song, I had goose bumps and so did everybody else in the room. ... That had a whole lot more soul in it than most of the stuff that gets cut in this town."

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

I think my favorite song from the show thus far is Lennon and Maisy (can't recall their names on the show) singing Telescope.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 6:26 PM

The cast album is the #2 Country album on I-Tunes right now. Pretty impressive IMO.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 6:06 AM

Pretty lame that ABC can't be bothered to update their Nashville Music Lounge page with tonight's music or release the new Scarlett/Gunnar song on iTunes the same day that the episode airs. I googled the lyrics and found nothing, so I guess that means it's an original song written for the show, not a cover of an existing country song.

ETA: Change Your Mind is finally for sale on iTunes so I guess they're off the hook. It's still not available on Amazon or listed on the official Nashville website so they're both still on my shit list.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Jan 10, 2013 @ 9:41 AM.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 4:56 PM

Scarlett's version of the Barbwire song was on I-Tunes before it aired on the show.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

The itunes version of "Change Your Mind" solidified my earlier hypothesis: I prefer the simpler acoustic versions of these songs to the more polished/overproduced versions. The version on the show is so much better than the one I bought on iTunes. I wish they'd quit overproducing Clare Bowen's voice. Sometimes the echo and other stuff they do to polish her voice is so annoying.

I do wish they'd give Sam Palladio more singing. On their recent songs ("Change Your Mind' and "When the Right One Comes Along"), he's reduced to being her backup singer. I almost hope they have a fight after every song so he can sing it solo at the bar.

sopreppypink

sopreppypink

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

Completely agree, ElectricBugaloo! I think he has the better voice by far.

I am also embarrassed to admit it, but I'd like to see them release a full length version of Boys and Buses. It's ridiculously catchy.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 8:41 AM

I didn't love Boys and Buses the first time I heard it, but when Juliet sang it at rehearsal I liked it (I have no idea why because I'm pretty sure that she sang the exact same part both times) so I can get behind having them release it as a single too. That's one thing I do like about this show - they don't just throw a bunch of new songs out every week and then forget about them. I like that they showed Rayna recording part of Wrong Song this week and then Juliet singing Boys and Buses at tour rehearsal. I'm sure that's more out of laziness than continuity but I like that it's realistic. It's kind of like when tv shows let the characters wear an outfit more than once.

Re: Scarlett and Gunnar - I get that they're songwriting partners so they sing their songs together but I wish they would let Gunnar sing the lead and have Scarlett as the harmonies/backup.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 10:04 AM

Re: Scarlett and Gunnar - I get that they're songwriting partners so they sing their songs together but I wish they would let Gunnar sing the lead and have Scarlett as the harmonies/backup.

I'll second that because he has a much better voice and is just a better singer. Showcasing her and putting him on backup makes no sense.

gpgurl50

gpgurl50

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 7:34 PM

Clare Bowen (Scarlett) was doing press this week. She is a classically trained singer in operatic vocals. Country music is a departure for her. I wonder if they're showcasing her because of all that training?

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 6:51 AM

So they really have no excuse for overproducing the hell out of her voice on all these songs?

Miss Kubelik

Miss Kubelik

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:53 AM

There are two versions of "When the Right One Comes Along." The soundtrack version is a duet, but there's another one, which was released on iTunes separately and prior to the soundtrack that is just Sam Palladio. It's a beautiful song, and there's no bad version, but SP's solo version is by far my favorite. In fact, it's kind of embarrassing how many times I've played that song-- it's one of my favorites right now, Nashville or no. The version by the original artists, Striking Matches, is also available on Amazon/iTunes.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 4:07 AM

I, too, bought the Sam Palladio solo version and prefer it to the duet version. I loved the duet on the show so I was going to buy the soundtrack. In the mean time, I bought the solo version and realized I like it better. Once the soundtrack came out, I thought ehhhh, I already have all the songs I like so should I still buy it?

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

In the last episode, Juliette looked at her set list and they showed it:

Tumbleweed
Mean Girls
All my Angels
Boys in Buses
Undermine
Love like mine
Yellin from the rooftops
Sweet words
Telescope
Wrong song

I'll be interested how many of these we actually hear! Five so far I think...

I really liked that "Fugitive" song they did in last episode. At this point I expect at least one new song an episdoe- it's my favorite part of the show!

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 5:40 AM

I was a little disappointed that I didn't come away from last week's episode with a new song to love. I didn't dislike the Fugutive song but I didn't instantly love it (my expectation is now one awesome new favorite song per episode).

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 8:00 AM

The bass line and piano chords in Avery's song "Kiss" remind me of another song. I swear it's "Stray Cat Strut."

ETA:

I am also embarrassed to admit it, but I'd like to see them release a full length version of Boys and Buses. It's ridiculously catchy.

It's available on iTunes now!

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Jan 24, 2013 @ 8:03 AM.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 12:02 AM

Anybody know what new song(s) were introduced this week? Gunnar and Scarlett had a duet, and then Avery's Exes played a song. Same song?

"Kiss" Yes, the Stray Cat Strut! They both have a descending bassline and similar arrangements. To my ears, and I haven't heard the song except on the show, you could easily say that song isn't country music at all.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 12:07 AM

The new Avery's Exes/Scarlett & Gunnar song is "One Works Better." I'd have to go back and watch again, but I'm 99% sure that it's the same song in both scenes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears the Stray Cat Strut similarity!

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Jan 25, 2013 @ 12:12 AM.

AmbrosiaL

AmbrosiaL

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 12:42 AM

It's available on iTunes now!

It's up on Spotify's Nashville playlist too, along with Scarlett's Change Your Mind as of day before yesterday!

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 2:09 AM

Midru, I rewatched the episode just for you and it's definitely "One Works Better" in both scenes. In the earlier scene where Scarlett and Gunnar are rehearsing until his guitar goes out of tune, she sings the first verse. Later at band practice, she's singing the chorus. I bought it on iTunes and I like the full length version - it's a good "I'm better off without my ex" song.

loriro

loriro

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 11:57 PM

To my ears, and I haven't heard the song except on the show, you could easily say that song isn't country music at all.

I don't think Avery's music is meant to be country, really. I can't remember how he described it in one of the early episodes, but I *think* punk was mentioned?

That's actually one of the things I like about the show. Yes, the two leads are country acts, but Nashville as a music town is SO much more than just country. In particular, the Nashville rock scene is thriving. (FYI re: the first linked article -- The 5 Spot, where Avery's band played all the time, is in East Nashville...). The fact that the show is showing that, even if subtly, really rings true.

Edited by loriro, Jan 25, 2013 @ 11:58 PM.