Beverley Elliott as Granny: Crossbow-Wielding Badass

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

32 replies to this topic

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

She might not be a huge character, but it's high time she had her own thread.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

Where did she even find that crossbow so fast? Did she raid Gold's store while he was off buying travel brochures?

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Where did she even find that crossbow so fast? Did she raid Gold's store while he was off buying travel brochures?

Sporting goods store?

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

Some people still had some belongings from the Enchanted lands.. Snow still had her jewelry box. Charming evidently still has his sword.

Edited by MorninStar, Oct 9, 2012 @ 7:10 PM.

Medieval Girl

Medieval Girl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

Gold gave Emma her father's sword during the season 1 finale. She must have given it back to Charming at some unseen point in Broken. That would have been cool! The last time he would have see it was when he threw it at Regina at the Wedding.

Anyway, some people do use crossbows for hunting. It is enough of an issue that a lot of the ranges my archery friends use have policies about crossbows.

Edited by Medieval Girl, Oct 9, 2012 @ 7:33 PM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

She must have given it back to Charming at some unseen point in Broken.

I'm surprised she took it from the Maleficent remains. I don't remember her having it in the elevator or hospital....

Forget the crossbow (though Granny was TOTALLY badass with it--I love that she's so pragmatic), I want to know where Red's cloak is. That would seem to be a necessity....

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 3:46 AM

This brings up a good point.. and I don't know if it is one that will ever be explained, but I wonder if Gold has some sort of retrieval power over these special objects (Charming's sword is a perfect example) or if the curse does or if there is another explanation.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 5:52 AM

This brings up a good point.. and I don't know if it is one that will ever be explained, but I wonder if Gold has some sort of retrieval power over these special objects (Charming's sword is a perfect example) or if the curse does or if there is another explanation.

Obviously we don't know, as you said, but retrieval power seems the less likely explanation for me; he'd have used that on the True Love potion instead of the more convoluted plot to obtain it.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 6:09 AM

Rumple would have known about when the curse was going to take place (very shortly after he told Regina how to enact it) and so he'd probalby be able to decide what to take with him the same way Regina did, possibly before he was even imprisoned since that took place after Regina decided to cast the curse and before she had the ability to.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

How would Rumpel have been able to take things across from his prison, though? And why would he decide, months in advance, that Charming's sword was important?

I think it's more likely that, just as Snow's coffin apparently made the jump, objects that were really really special to their owners and/or magically significant managed to make the jump on their own, because they were too imbued with significance to be left behind.

Edited by stealinghome, Oct 10, 2012 @ 10:37 AM.

MsCaitlin

MsCaitlin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

Where did she even find that crossbow so fast?

WalMart

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Obviously we don't know, as you said, but retrieval power seems the less likely explanation for me; he'd have used that on the True Love potion instead of the more convoluted plot to obtain it.

Ah.. so true. But then how DID Charming get his sword back? Unless Rumples can't retrieve an item inside of another magical item/being (the potion). Perhaps special objects find their owners in a time of need. Granny's crossbow.. Charming's sword. I dunno.. grasping at straws here..

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Unless Rumples can't retrieve an item inside of another magical item/being (the potion).

Yes, but why would he have it put inside the dragon if he'd be able to bring along/retrieve whatever he wanted? Why not just bring it and leave it in his shop?

Further indication ("evidence" is too strong a word) that he can't just retrieve whatever he wants (prior to purple smoke, anyway) is that he specifically had the potion put in Maleficent because Regina wouldn't leave her behind. He needed it to be in this world, not the other. Unless he was lying.

Irish64

Irish64

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

Granny's a bad ass so when she saw the town was "lawless," and that Regina was on the war path the old gal went out and whittled herself a cross bow and arrow...so that MAY have been what happened to boring August!

Do NOT mess with Granny!

Edited by Irish64, Oct 10, 2012 @ 1:47 PM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

omg, Irish, I almost choked on my sandwich reading that!

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Yes, but why would he have it put inside the dragon if he'd be able to bring along/retrieve whatever he wanted? Why not just bring it and leave it in his shop?

I'm getting a bit confused but I'll ramble on with a few thoughts. :D

* The 'true love' potion was put inside of Malficient for safe-keeping. I don't know if Regina was aware of it (my guess is no) but Rumples perhaps didn't want to chance having the potion in his shop because it would have been too vulnerable to being found & used.

* SOMEHOW Charming now has his sword.. Emma left it down in the .. whatever.. below the library, correct? So, how'd he get it back?

* Storybrooke citizens seem to have a few special objects from the Enchanted lands.. Mary Margaret had her jewelry box, Granny her crossbow (?), Geppetto his clock, none of which are not magical objects that we are aware. Have there been any others? Have they had these objects all along or do they appear with some specific need? I wonder if Red's cloak will turn up.

*Blue/Mother superior does not have her wand (or fairy dust). Charming's sword.. is it a magical object? I don't think so. Gold has tons of special objects, magical or no.. I wonder how that worked. He's been collecting magical objects for quite some time, and for what purposes they were collected. Did he have to have an object from everyone affected by the curse?

*Now that I'm thinking about Rumple collecting magical objects.. I recall the Fairy Godmother.. why would she have been a 'patron' of King George's family? He doesn't seem the nicest guy. Although the fairy godmother is not Blue, she appeared to Cinderella (who ?? is related to King George??) without a specific call for her.

edited to add:

Irish64: Granny's a bad ass so when she saw the town was "lawless," and that Regina was on the war path the old gal went out and whittled herself a cross bow and arrow...so that MAY have been what happened to boring August!

Do NOT mess with Granny!

OHMYGOSH! TOO funny!! ahahaaha.

Edited by MorninStar, Oct 10, 2012 @ 2:18 PM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

* Storybrooke citizens seem to have a few special objects from the Enchanted lands.. Mary Margaret had her jewelry box, Granny her crossbow (?), Geppetto his clock, none of which are not magical objects that we are aware. Have there been any others? Have they had these objects all along or do they appear with some specific need? I wonder if Red's cloak will turn up.

I think they've had them all along. It makes no sense to me that the objects just "appear." It's more likely that, like Snow's coffin, the objects have been floating around Storybrooke, either with their owner or at Gold's, but no one ever realized their significance until the curse started coming undone. (For example, Mary Margaret clearly had her engagement ring/Charming's mother's ring sitting in her jewelry box for a long time, but until David woke up, never felt drawn to it particularly. Then he did, and she did.)

Gold has tons of special objects, magical or no.. I wonder how that worked. He's been collecting magical objects for quite some time, and for what purposes they were collected. Did he have to have an object from everyone affected by the curse?

That assumes he's been awake for a while, which I don't think is true. I doubt that Gold went out of his way to collect these objects. I think it's more likely that some of the miscellaneous stuff just ended up in his pawnshop because of who he is; it's like they were drawn to him. (aside from the stuff we know was in his castle, of course.) Remind me--what meaningful Enchanted Forest stuff other than Charming's sword and Emma's crib's mobile has he been in possession of? (And can we fanwank that Charming's sword ended up with him either because while Charming was in a coma the curse didn't seem to touch him and/or a sword is too weird an object for a normal guy to have?)

*Now that I'm thinking about Rumple collecting magical objects.. I recall the Fairy Godmother.. why would she have been a 'patron' of King George's family? He doesn't seem the nicest guy. Although the fairy godmother is not Blue, she appeared to Cinderella (who ?? is related to King George??) without a specific call for her.

I don't think the fairy godmother has to have the same appearance rules as does Blue.

* The 'true love' potion was put inside of Malficient for safe-keeping. I don't know if Regina was aware of it (my guess is no) but Rumples perhaps didn't want to chance having the potion in his shop because it would have been too vulnerable to being found & used.

But the dagger hanging around the shop WASN'T a threat/concern? (I know he hid it once he woke up, but I'm thinking pre-curse.)

Edited by stealinghome, Oct 10, 2012 @ 5:04 PM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

How would Rumpel have been able to take things across from his prison, though? And why would he decide, months in advance, that Charming's sword was important?

Because he'd set it up before he was trapped. He'd have known that the day was soon coming (whenever Regina got around to asking him for clarification) after the wedding so he'd set it up so everything he'd want to bring was taken before he was imprisoned. And why would he decide to bring Charming's sword? Just in case he needed it, the same reason he would have brought everything else. Why on Earth would he have felt the need to bring Gepetto's creepy doll parents? It's just kind of his thing.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

Gold has tons of special objects, magical or no.. I wonder how that worked. He's been collecting magical objects for quite some time, and for what purposes they were collected. Did he have to have an object from everyone affected by the curse?

stealinghome: That assumes he's been awake for a while, which I don't think is true. I doubt that Gold went out of his way to collect these objects. I think it's more likely that some of the miscellaneous stuff just ended up in his pawnshop because of who he is; it's like they were drawn to him. (aside from the stuff we know was in his castle, of course.) Remind me--what meaningful Enchanted Forest stuff other than Charming's sword and Emma's crib's mobile has he been in possession of? (And can we fanwank that Charming's sword ended up with him either because while Charming was in a coma the curse didn't seem to touch him and/or a sword is too weird an object for a normal guy to have?)

No, I am not thinking that he has been 'awake' all this while in Storybrooke, I think it is, as Princess Aldrea comments, that he had these items prior to casting the curse and he somehow arranged for them to follow him here. The potion being a special item. As for his Rumpelstiltskin blade, he could not have entrusted anyone (person/being) to have possession of it (in their belly or otherwise) because then they would have power over him.

I think we're just going to have to fanwank Charming's sword.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

And why would he decide to bring Charming's sword? Just in case he needed it, the same reason he would have brought everything else. Why on Earth would he have felt the need to bring Gepetto's creepy doll parents? It's just kind of his thing.

The dolls became because, like the other things that came, they have intense emotional significance/magical properties.

I guess I just don't think that Rumpel was so insanely precognitive that he would bring Charming's sword or Emma's baby mobile (which as far as we know he never even SAW/knew existed) just for "a rainy day" because it MIGHT be of value at some point. That just makes him way too unbelievably powerful and for me and exceeds even what I think is his admittedly great powers of forecasting. (Plus, why Charming's sword when any old sword would do....)

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

This part of the conversation started because we were wondering how Charming has his sword since it was last seen in the bowels of the library; not that we were questioning why Gold had the sword in the first place. We're probably just going to have to fanwank how the sword has come to be in Charming's possession. As and aside, I suspect Charming's sword might be special.

As to other objects -- *shrug* It seems to fall into that category of wondering how the curse works and if anyone has control over how it works or if it has a totally independent 'organic' life of it's own.

I would not doubt that Rumples did some pre-planning before the curse was cast. He wouldn't need to have any precognitive qualities in order to amass items that might prove useful. Or build into the curse that items of significance follow him into this new land. I don't believe all of the items in Rumples shop showed up by happenstance, even if he did not personally select each individual item. Perhaps as a provision of the curse one item from each person would be in his possession (for control over the curse or future deals?) He would not have had to choose the item, just that it be specifically theirs - as Emma's mobile, perhaps. He must have made some provision, for example, where he knew that his (other) potions and the grimoire book, for example, came with him. I do wonder about Geppetto's parents.. I have always thought that they will come into the story later and that there was a special reason Rumples asked for them.

Edited by MorninStar, Oct 10, 2012 @ 10:35 PM.

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I hope we get some confirmation that Granny knew about the curse before it was broken. Certainly seemed like it.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

I hope we get some confirmation that Granny knew about the curse before it was broken. Certainly seemed like it.

Why did it seem like she knew to you?

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

Why did it seem like she knew to you?

In the pilot, she did a double take at hearing the name Emma and then right after gave Gold money like they had a bet on whether she would come or not.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Granny was paying Gold the rent money for the inn/restaurant.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 4:45 AM

Please don't start a thread unless you have a topic to start the discussion. Also, half the posts in here haven't even been about the character. I'm leaving the thread up, but please keep this in mind for the future.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Sorry, I was kind of in a hurry when I started this thread, so I didn't haev much to say about Granny at the time.

That being said, I love Granny. It's a great twist that the show turned her from the regular sweet old lady in the fairy tale to a tough badass. I wonder if we're going to get more of her background in an upcoming episode. The stuff about her past she mentioned in "Red-Handed" was pretty dark...

The only time I didn't like her character was with her dissing Mary Margaret when the affair with David was exposed, but she made up for it in "Dreamy," when she wordlessly lit Mary Margaret's candle. Such a sweet and poignant gesture. And with everyone's memories in Storybrooke back, hopefully we'll get even more badass moments from her.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

The only time I didn't like her character was with her dissing Mary Margaret when the affair with David was exposed, but she made up for it in "Dreamy," when she wordlessly lit Mary Margaret's candle.

It's a nice gesture but I don't think that it really makes up for weeks of leading the shunning.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Episodes 13-18 take place over the span of one week. Meaning Granny shunned Mary Margaret for about 2 days at most.

I noted Granny called Red Ruby still in Storybrooke. I guess still drives home the both thing but it still made me hmm.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

I like Granny! I enjoy her banter with Red and she's had some pretty funny lines. When August asked Emma to take a ride on his motorcycle, Granny said something like "I'll go if you don't" haha. Also her with the crossbow in Broken was great. It would be cute if her and Gepetto started dating! ;)