Halloween Wars

• Please log in to reply

69 replies to this topic

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

Design notwithstanding, the execution by Dead Men walking was far superior. Paranormal's scientist was really poorly done.

Edited by Willowsmom, Oct 22, 2012 @ 11:21 AM.

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 8:29 AM

I thought Dead Man Walking's scientist looked very crudely executed, which did not help the simplistic cartoonish design especially with its face. The eliminated team had much more challenging elements, like a character or object caught in the middle of movement, but I think it was the humour that did them in; from the judges' comments, it appears that this aspect was frowned upon.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

I notice that everyone here seems to know the teams' names but me! I guess I'm too caught up in the actiion to pay attention to them. Anyway, on this past show, I was sure the team who created the man falling would win. I thought their display was excellent. The man's face looked so realistic with his expression of horror as he began to fall. The sense of movement was very appealing. I didn't care much for the scientist, who didn't look real and whose entire appeal seemed to be going on inside. I felt for the team who couldn't refine their piece in the time allowed. Their idea was pretty good, but they got involved in too much.

I love watching the carvers do the faces and wish more camera time could be spent on them. Considering that the challenges are eight hours long, I'd be happier with a two-hour show. Would viewers watch for two hours, though?

bubbs72

bubbs72

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

What happens to their creations once each round ends? Do they donate it to a shelter? Throw them away? Does anyone know?

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

The eliminated team had much more challenging elements, like a character or object caught in the middle of movement, but I think it was the humour that did them in; from the judges' comments, it appears that this aspect was frowned upon.

True, but the team's design relied heavily on that generic huge pumpkin monster. And what was the centerpiece of their "Behind the Door" challenge ? A generic huge pumpkin monster. That might have been taken into account by the judges, as a lack of creativity, whereas the other two teams had much more creative and detailed elements, imo.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

I thought DMW really earned the win with their last piece, it was visually stunning, something I could certainly see showcased at a big party. And Vinnie looked so happy, I wish his wife could have been involved, she'd been over the moon, but I am sure she was so thrilled for him.

I also thought the other team, while their scale was somewhat smaller, did an excellent job as well, they really pulled out all the stops and showed some great creativity and ability, but I thought using so many of the same colors hurt the piece a little, and didn't allow it to pop out the way DMW's did.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

I guess every good series has to end sometime, but AWWWW, why did there have to be a winner?
I thought both of the final entries were outstanding, so much so that it seemed they both earned the big reward. However, that's not the way comtests end, I guess. Both teams did incredible work.

I truly felt that Morbid Mayhem had the better display, and so did my husband. The characters' faces were so much better defined, we thought, and the way the gown hung (by accident) made it more natural and in character. I loved the dark roses held by the bride and the wreath of dying flowers in her hair. The gargoyle was no easy task, and they did a fantastic job of it. Not to take anything away from Dead Men Walking, but we just had a different choice.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

I haven't enjoyed a competition series so much on FN before. Both of the final two teams were well qualified and it was nice to see the members of Morbid Mayhem pull together in the end and to watch the quality of their work go up as they learned how to work together as a team.

In the final challenge both of the displays were exquisite and each had their strong points. However, in the end, I believe that Dead Men Walking's display ended up winning because of three things. 1) It was more colorful, and as another poster pointed out, while beautiful, Morbid Mayhem's piece was monochromatic and that ended up taking something away from the piece. 2) The piece had a strong suggestion of movement in it while Morbid Mayhem's piece looked like a snapshot, and finally 3) The judges had asked for blood and gore, and only Dead Men Walking delivered on that aspect. Morbid Mayhem's display only nod to the blood and gore was the heart that the groom held in his hand. Otherwise, the display, from the expressions on the faces of the bride and groom to the roses in her hand, just seemed more romantic than gory or scary.

However, both teams did a wonderful job and I would gladly watch them again. I just wish the redhead would smile!

Why can't it be Halloween all year?

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

The judges had asked for blood and gore, and only Dead Men Walking delivered on that aspect

I agree. When they were showing and comparing the two pieces, DMW's really looked horrific, in the best possible ways I thought. They seemed to capture the true spirit of Halloween, it was scary, it was frightening, it was, imo, perfect. And it was large enough to make a true showcase piece, which I could have seen at a great Hollywood Halloween party that would have awed everybody.

That would have been a great final touch, I thought, the way the final wining showcase is always displayed at some party on Cupcake Wars, who would not have loved getting that sort of display for their All Hallows Eve party? But I am guessing the timing of the show and the actual Holiday would not have coincided.

thethe

thethe

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

This year had better overall teams, but I think Ray Villafane from last year is still the best individual competitor. His carvings were amazing.

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 12:51 AM

Ray was good, but I think Karen Portaleo had more vision, more creativity, and more ability to execute. I was dying to see the two of them on the same team. I would like to create a dream team, but I can't find a decent sugar artist. I get that sugar artistry is time consuming, but all the sugar artists tend to do is teeth, hats, claws, wings, tongues, and tasting elements - nothing that requires detailed work or creating characters (which is the most difficult part of creating these masterpieces, imo).

This year's teams were better in the small scare challenges, but I think last year was better in the 5 hr challenge. Last year just had more creativity. I'm still swooning over that Marie Antoinette piece that Bling Bats did.

Dead Men Walking weren't bad, but I really feel like Paranormal got shafted. DMW got heavily praised for what I thought was average work and Paranormal got heavily critiqued for the simplest of things. For whatever reason, DMW was just the judge's darlings from the beginning. They did good work, but was it really better than everyone else's work everytime they won? I don't really think so.

Edited by GrrlPower, Nov 5, 2012 @ 12:55 AM.

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 4:17 PM

Anyone watching this again?  Same old, same old, although the group that, to me, was the obvious winner, wasn't.  Maybe we'll actually see more to this than one group who blows everyone away every time?

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 5:43 PM

Anyone watching this again? 

Oh yes. 

Most cringe-worthy moment for me was when the guy accidently knocked over his sugar flame sculpture.  But suddenly, when it was time to present, there were like three or four of them.  I hope this wasn't done on purpose for drama. 

The team that went home had the most awful looking (awful in a bad way) sculptures of heads I've ever seen.  They looked like they were drawn by untalented 6 year olds.  

Edited by nottopbravo, Oct 7, 2013 @ 5:44 PM.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 5:55 PM

I absolutely love this show and can't wait for next week.  It's like the old Challenge shows where teams of talented people were given 8 hours and left to do what they came to do.  There was always enough drama inherent in the task and time limit to make twists unnecessary.  Every time they added something like that, it felt phony and annoyed me.  I'm very happy to watch the Halloween Wars people do their thing without interference. 

I had high hopes for the Sugar Dome when it started but the host and twists were so OTT that both took away from the competition.  Sort of the same thing happened to Sweet Genius.  Ron Ben-Israel is great.  I would have loved to watch him mentor and judge contestants working with ingredients pastry chefs might use, not rutabaga.  I hope the PTB leave Halloween Wars alone.

Edited by mlp, Oct 8, 2013 @ 12:32 PM.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

I had high hopes for the Sugar Dome when it started but the host and twists were so OTT that both took away from the competition.  Sort of the same thing happened to Sweet Genius.  Ron Ben-Israel is great.  I would have loved to watch him mentor and judge contestants working with ingredients pastry chefs might use, not rutabaga,  I hope the PTB leave Halloween Wars alone.

Agree.  If you want to see how a cooking competition can be totally destroyed by the host and twists that are OTT, check out "Cutthroat Kitchen".  

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

I'm so glad Halloween Wars is back! There's no obvious standout team so far. The loudest, most obnoxious team doesn't seem to have the goods to back up their bravado so far. In the previews, I haven't seen anything that stacks up to what Karen's team created in the best season ever.

Still, this is one of my favorite Fall traditions. I love Halloween, and I love Halloween Wars.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2013 @ 1:12 AM

Yeah, glad the show's back, too. Though a couple of teams (well, now, it's just one) are clearly outmatched by their competitors, and the overall bar seems lower than in previous seasons, it was an enjoyable first round.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

What the what what?

That was an inexplicable result this week. How did "Three Blind Mice," with its lumpy woman's body and messy finishes, beat the clean, terrific, "Little Miss Muffet"?

Oh, yeah. Because that team was fighting like dogs, and conflict keeps the reality tv machine running.

Quality

Quality

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 8:34 AM

What the what what?

I agree.

And what was with the team that did the witch? It had nothing to do with a nursery rhyme at all. Ok, there's a baker's man...let's change it to a witch. You could have done that with anything. Let's do Pop Goes the Weasel, but instead of a weasel, it'll be a zombie. Let's do Humpty Dumpty, but instead of an egg sitting on a wall, we'll do a mummy sitting on a wall.

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 9:50 AM

And what was with the team that did the witch? It had nothing to do with a nursery rhyme at all. Ok, there's a baker's man...let's change it to a witch. You could have done that with anything. Let's do Pop Goes the Weasel, but instead of a weasel, it'll be a zombie. Let's do Humpty Dumpty, but instead of an egg sitting on a wall, we'll do a mummy sitting on a wall.

I thought the same thing while I was watching it. When the next group announced they were doing 3 Blind Mice, I said, "But instead of mice, we're using ghosts, and instead of the farmer's wife, we're making Frankenstein."

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

As you've already mentioned, WTF. Three blind mice was mediocre, at best ; Paddy Cake was well-sculpted, but off-topic ; Little Miss Muffet was minimalist, but very clean and professionnal ; Mary Mary was pretty well done.

Of all those, though, Team Three Blind Mice clearly was weakest...

Trojangirldance

Trojangirldance

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2013 @ 1:38 AM

My response to Three Blind Mice:  Oh look it is the comic Dilbert's grandma and she's got three thick strands of spaghetti in her hand.  Also--that team is going to implode and be its own worst enemy.

I agreed, Miss Muffet really needed some sort of background or scenery--a tuffet, something because it just looked like a huge ass spider with a baby caught in its web.

Patty Cake missed the mark by going witch instead of a lunatic baker's man BUT the detail was amazing and I honestly think that is what saved that group.

Mary Mary was freaking cool!

Bean9879

Bean9879

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

Dilbert's grandma

Thank you! 

I did think the comic style was fun, but the work could have been much, much cleaner. Mary, Mary deserved the win, and Miss Muffet did need more scene work. 

But my biggest disappointment is that Tom Savini isn't back this season! The new guy kind of bugs--he makes every critique about him. "Well, when I'm designing a make-up for blah-blah movie..." 

Edited by Bean9879, Oct 17, 2013 @ 10:46 AM.

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

But my biggest disappointment is that Tom Savini isn't back this season! The new guy kind of bugs--he makes every critique about him. "Well, when I'm designing a make-up for blah-blah movie..." 

And how could you take a guy with a weird little curled up moustache seriously anyway?  He looks like Snidely Whiplash.

Edited by Rammchick, Oct 18, 2013 @ 5:58 PM.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2013 @ 3:07 PM

I love spiders so I was biased but that spider was amazing and I was bummed they lost. I do think that Little Miss Muffet was a little too small.

And yes, I also thought for sure Pat a Cake was going home because it didn't make sense. My idea was a zombie Humpty Dumpty since he did croak in the story.

I can't remember if it was Candy Man or Snidely Whiplash (heh) who said it but I loved the critique that there should be viscera on the cleaver. I think that was the best advice I've ever heard on a reality show.

And I noticed that the guest judges are the same in that they keep saying stuff like "well when I was in Halloween" or "when I was in Night of the Living Dead" but they do it nearly every single time they open their mouths. It's annoying.

Edited by mojoween, Oct 19, 2013 @ 3:15 PM.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

I suppose the final 2 teams deserve it, but I'm not blown away by either of them. So far this season, nobody has come close to the amazing stuff in the previous two seasons.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2013 @ 10:44 PM

I suppose the final 2 teams deserve it, but I'm not blown away by either of them. So far this season, nobody has come close to the amazing stuff in the previous two seasons.

I totally agree.  Also there hasn't been much camaraderie among team members.  I miss people like Karen Portaleo, Richard Ruskell, Vinnie Garcia, Ray Villafane, etc.  Most of the people this year seem like lesser talents who don't like each other very much.  The only team I really liked just for the people left tonight.

Quality

Quality

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2013 @ 7:37 AM

I couldn't believe the results last night. I thought Psychotic Misfits was easily the worst for both challenges, and they won both!

Their Small Scare was nonsense. CDs are being replaced by mp3s, so you get killed by a music note (that you'd never know was a music note unless someone told you)?  The swamp monster was even worse. The lower half of the monster was awful - it didn't match the top half, made no sense anatomically, and had zero sense of scale. To top it off, their work had far less details than the other teams and their 'treat' was the worst reviewed.

Are they keeping them around just for the drama of their cake guy losing it every week?

HanaChan

HanaChan

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 3:58 AM

I suppose the final 2 teams deserve it, but I'm not blown away by either of them. So far this season, nobody has come close to the amazing stuff in the previous two seasons

Ir probably doesn't help that the network aired last season's competition and reminded us of just how good the teams were last season (especially Dead Men Walking) and the amazing showpieces they created. This bunch is strictly third tier and I'm just not impressed.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 6:30 AM

Gotta say I concur with this topic' assessment of Psychotic Misfits. I don't really get how they ended up in the finals, when their creations have always been in my bottom two.

That said, I had a feeling this season was gonna be disappointing when they replaced Savini by Kinney, whose work in the horror genre is far from impressive, especially since he seems to be working more in the "beauty makeup for regular shows on network tv" category, rather than in sci-fi/horror/fantasy oriented shows & movies. (let's say a good bunch of the Face Off contestants have more horror credits on their resume than he does)