Speculation without Spoilers

• Please log in to reply

179 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

This thread is for discussing aired previews of upcoming episodes and for spoiler-free speculation about future happenings on the show. Don't post spoilers in this thread, even under spoiler tags.

cmahorror

cmahorror

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Anyone else think that Juliette is actually Rayna's half-sister? Juliette's mom had an affair with Lamar leading to baby, he dumps her and Juliette (not aware of Rayna's true feelings about him) is taking it out on Rayna by trying to take over her life (i.e. Deacon, the record company, guessing Teddy is next). Taking the life Juliette feels she was supposed to have.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

I have no idea why this has stuck in my brain, but in the pilot, Deacon and Scarlet mentioned her mother, who is also his sister. They said she would be visiting at Thanksgiving and briefly discussed her staying with one or the other of them. Assuming she actually does show up, who might play the part? Could the character stir up something since she may know about Deacon and Rayna's past? And how will she interact with Avery, Gunner and Scarlet? Since Deacon and Scarlet have only talked to each other twice (I think), her mom / his sister would be a connection between them that is lacking right now.

sammiekay

sammiekay

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

Edited by sammiekay, Jan 29, 2013 @ 5:47 PM.

Wendolene

Wendolene

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

Yea, I couldn't really tell what the generic thread for this show was either, so here's my random question: At this point, do you think this show has long-term plot potential? I've been continually unimpressed with ABC's ability to throw down a great first season of a show (and Nashville is at good, not great for me) and then the next season it becomes a complete clusterfuck. I'm trying to decide if I should keep watching.

Blimpie123

Blimpie123

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

At this point, do you think this show has long-term plot potential? I've been continually unimpressed with ABC's ability to throw down a great first season of a show (and Nashville is at good, not great for me) and then the next season it becomes a complete clusterfuck. I'm trying to decide if I should keep watching.

Short answer: Yes. However, it has to make some decisions as to what this show is going to be. Is it an examination of the music business or is it about music AND a little big town? OR is it about the lives of a select few at a certain point in their music career? At this point the show is a bit all over the map.

Another reason I think Nashville has potential is because it keeps getting under my skin...I wonder about these characters after the show has ended.

I hope they keep the show about their main characters and let them interact and build drama from that. I'm a bit concerned that they keep introducing new people instead of building on their current cache. It seems the audience is starting to care about the leads so that is where this show's bread is buttered. Play it out.

Edited by Blimpie123, Nov 17, 2012 @ 8:41 PM.

molshoop

molshoop

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 8:57 AM

Nashville's ratings have really dropped since the premier.

I think the political story line was a big mistake. It was a bore and the country was already experiencing political race burn out.

I really like Coleman and I think the writers are missing opportunities to tie him back into the story as Deacon's sponsor and friend.

If they are aiming for a love triangle between Juliette, Rayna and Deacon, that's a turn off for me. Deacon and Rayna are old enough to be Juliette's parents, so Deacon with Juliette has a big ick factor .

And watching the two women continue a bitchy competition over their music, careers or Deacon will make me stop watching. Of course others may enjoy that story line.

Can the writer's stretch this tour into another season? How long can they keep Rayna and Teddy's marriage stuck in neutral ?

I like a lot of the characters. I just don't want to see them mired in story lines that are predictable, worn out cliches.

If I were writing the show I'd come up with a twist the audience doesn't see coming by making Daphne Deacon's daughter.

sassykath

sassykath

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 5:02 PM

I don't think they can make Daphne Deacon's daughter, because that would be admitting Rayna has cheated. Once that happens, there is no going back on how much they have sainted her.

I am going to publicly speculate that Deacon is not Maddie's father either. Seems like a classic red herring. Others have mused that perhaps this "Vince" person briefly mentioned 2 episodes ago is Maddie's father.

molshoop

molshoop

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 8:37 AM

Once that happens, there is no going back on how much they have sainted her.

I don't see Rayna as a saint. I've seen jealousy, insecurity and indecision. And I think she was lying during that interview when she claimed that her relationship with Deacon has been professional/platonic since her marriage to Teddy.

I'd be interested to know why others are seeing her written as someone who can do no wrong.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

Rayna has not been shown as a saint at all. Even though she was born wealthy, she has worked hard, plus she has been hurt by just about everyone in her life along the way. I can see why she still has such a strong connection to Deacon. I believe they said they were together for 11 years and now apart for 12. It seems that his drug and alcohol issues were a great strain on her. I mean, 5 times in rehab for Deacon is a long time. I would venture to guess that he had told her repeatedly that each time would be the last, so no wonder she didn't believe the last time and went with the supposedly strong and solid guy. It will be interesting to see if he is really her daughter's Father.

niffler

niffler

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 8:26 PM

Here's a rather interesting sneak peek for this week's episode.

Hopefully this one isn't dream sequence!

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 11:26 AM

I predict that there will finally be some overlap between Juliet and Scarlet's storyline.

Scarlet and Gunner are is still waiting for someone to record their songs, and we know that Juliet is going to change her musical style from pop-country to old-school country with the help of Deacon. Storyline-wise, it only seems natural for Juliet to be the artist who optioned "Fade Into You". And of course, this can cause conflict for Scarlet, who I assuming doesn't like Juliet very much and might not likes the idea of artists recording her songs.

shron17

shron17

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 12:20 PM

Hopefully this one isn't dream sequence!

This has me curious! Considering where their relationship is right now I'm not sure I can see it really happening, but given their past together it seems just possible.

Storyline-wise, it only seems natural for Juliet to be the artist who optioned "Fade Into You".

Maybe. Although Juliette seems quite adept at writing her own material, and I think I would prefer for Gunner and Scarlett to perform their own songs with Avery's band. Though it would be great to all the performing characters come together at some point in some way.

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 6:53 PM

I think this other sneak peek pretty much shows that it's not another dream sequence, right? I mean, I guess it could technically be. But based on their body language and her face at the end, I don't think it is.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 3:20 PM

So Nashville decided to go for yet another triangle, with Liam back the next episode. For me, yay moment this is not. I can't imagine how the show would try to justify Rayna kissing (more?) Liam, what with her incoming divorce and with Deacon and having fired Liam. I suppose she is the one to call him back? What a mess.

Or maybe this isn't about a triangle, maybe Liam gives her something and Rayna gets sick on stage. Testing positive for drugs would destroy her image, would provide Teddy with ammunition for taking custody. As ridiculous it would be to have Rayna go there, it would be a storyline I'd enjoy watching, the kind of "karma is a bitch" thing I'd like after how she treated Juliette after the shoplifting scandal and the addict mother reveal.

lorra

lorra

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 7:41 AM

The latest preview shows a scandal facing Rayna and her family and that her daughter Maddie finds out a few things by reading the tabloid. In rewatching the preview it doesn't show which scandal is breaking. (earlier I thought it was Maddie's paternity, but I was wrong) Rayna and her husband certainly have a few skeletons in their closet.

Sadly, it looks like Juliette's mother starts drinking again.

Then there's a couple of shots showing Rayna with her daughters and sister on their way out of a building, and then Teddy coming into a morgue to see a dead body. I wonder whose dead.

And of course we had the scenes of Gunnar with his brother, then later Scarlett yelling at him that he's not leaving this house with a loaded weapon.

The last scene makes me think that perhaps Avery wasn't so bad after all.

I wonder who the dead body is in the morgue? Possibilities running thru my mind are Lamar, Coleman, Peggy ... I think perhaps Coleman or Peggy.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:24 PM

Then there's a couple of shots showing Rayna with her daughters and sister on their way out of a building, and then Teddy coming into a morgue to see a dead body. I wonder whose dead.

Nashville is pretty adept at the bait and switch so I'm guessing the scandal that breaks in the episode is Rayna and Liam even though Teddy & Peggy actually did the deed. We thought they were alone but they were probably either followed in the last episode or some fans snapped some pics and sold them.

And it's not Teddy who goes to the morgue. It's Gunnar. His brother is probably dead which I find a rather blah plot twist. I'm not sure what that would bring to the story.

Sadly, it looks like Juliette's mother starts drinking again.

Yep. I don't want to watch her mother dealing with being an alcoholic again but I am curious to the repercussions on her friendship with Deacon.

I think perhaps Coleman or Peggy.

We've already established that it wasn't Teddy in the morgue but if this show gets another season, they've signed a deal with Kimberly Williams-Paisley to become a regular next season. I like her but I am not feeling Peggy.

lorra

lorra

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

We've already established that it wasn't Teddy in the morgue but if this show gets another season, they've signed a deal with Kimberly Williams-Paisley to become a regular next season. I like her but I am not feeling Peggy.

Oh that must mean Teddy marries Peggy. Good for him, and good for her.

molshoop

molshoop

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 8:19 AM

Oh that must mean Teddy marries Peggy. Good for him, and good for her.

I can see her as the perfect politician's wife, standing adoringly at his side. But they'll be pretty boring unless their past financial shenanigans comes to light.

shron17

shron17

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 12:27 PM

I can see her as the perfect politician's wife, standing adoringly at his side. But they'll be pretty boring unless their past financial shenanigans comes to light.

Lamar probably doesn't want them together and has plenty to use against them--he could easily have them both arrested. Once Lamar finds out about Teddy's relationship with Peggy we will see how much character Teddy really has.

Nashville is pretty adept at the bait and switch so I'm guessing the scandal that breaks in the episode is Rayna and Liam even though Teddy & Peggy actually did the deed.

You can see one of the pictures of Teddy and Peggy embedded in the article, but it must say more since Maddie asks if it's true. Maybe it's about both? Or, maybe it mentions the embezzlement. Maybe Tandy told Lamar Teddy is in contact with Peggy and he leaked it already.

And it's not Teddy who goes to the morgue. It's Gunnar. His brother is probably dead which I find a rather blah plot twist. I'm not sure what that would bring to the story.

Thought it was Gunnar, but didn't recognize him in a suit. Hopefully this storyline will be less predictable than it sounds.

lorra

lorra

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

LOL, I'm trying to remember what I am looking forward to in this coming week's episode. I guess I'm looking forward to see the fall-out from Teddy's request for a divorce. Big daddy Lamar will not be pleased. I want to see if Juliette makes up with Glenn and takes him back as her manager. I don't look forward to Gunnar and his brother. I'm not watching Nashville for violence. All the shows are filled with violence. I was hoping with Nashville to have one show violence-free.

lorra

lorra

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 2:35 AM

Very confusing preview - it looks like Deacon invites a pharmacist to lunch. Juliette holds some type of event where there's a riot, and she's yelling at the people - just calm down. Gunnar/Scarlett making out again. Rayna being interviewed by Katie Couric about her divorce.

What I don't get is why is Deacon hitting on a woman, who is not Rayna?

gpgurl50

gpgurl50

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 2:56 AM

As for Juliette, since her tour is on a break, I think she's going to hold a show to test out her new material before she adds it to her tour with Rayna. She's going to invite her fans on twitter or something. Too many people are gonna show up and a riot will happen. Then perhaps she'll feel the consequences of planning shows without Glenn.

As for Deacon, maybe he's going to get a date to make people think he's not having an affair with Rayna.

shron17

shron17

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 6:02 AM

Maybe Deacon just meets someone he likes and asks her on a date. And I think she's the vet. Just because Rayna's getting a divorce doesn't mean they're just going to run into each others arms--there's still some healing to do.

lorra

lorra

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 11:46 AM

Maybe Deacon just meets someone he likes and asks her on a date. And I think she's the vet. Just because Rayna's getting a divorce doesn't mean they're just going to run into each others arms--there's still some healing to do.

I rewatched that preview on YouTube. It is hard to tell who is kissing. But right after that clip of Deacon asking this blond pharmacist on the date, there is a clip for a bare instant of them kissing. You have to pause the video right there to see it, because the very next clip is of Scarlett and Gunnar kissing.

I figure this somehow relates to Rayna's cryptic last words to Deacon, that she "is going to do right" by him. As a note aside on the writing -- I don't think it is such a good choice in the writing to make the main female protagonist so cryptic.

The magazine article suggests that Teddy is having an affair with Peggy, and that Rayna was fooling around with both Liam and Deacon. As we heard Deacon tell Coleman, he found out about the divorce at the same time the whole world did. We further saw that Deacon texted Rayna the magazine cover with the remark - "Seriously?"

The one thing that men like Deacon absolutely hate is to be used. This is the main point.

The reason why Rayna and Teddy are divorcing is because Teddy requested the divorce because he wants to be with another woman. That is an indubitable fact. From the magazine article, Deacon could put two and two together and sum up the situation. That night he went up to Rayna's PH, Deacon saw Teddy at Rayna's door. So he must have realized that Teddy was asking her for a divorce. The next night she was out partying with Liam, and the following morning Deacon saw them together in the hotel lobby engaging in flirty behavior and he got mad.

This is why Rayna was anxious to speak to Deacon. It is why she went to that party. And it is the meaning behind her cryptic words that she will do right by Deacon. She's aware of all this and the conclusions Deacon must be drawing.

However, Rayna did not say - we have to talk. Which is the part I find strange. Because she really isn't able to talk to Deacon about the fact that her husband dumped her for another woman. But Deacon already knows that.

Therefore, Deacon doesn't want to be used or the rebound guy.

Edited by lorra, Mar 1, 2013 @ 11:47 AM.

shron17

shron17

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 1:28 PM

I rewatched that preview on YouTube. It is hard to tell who is kissing. But right after that clip of Deacon asking this blond pharmacist on the date, there is a clip for a bare instant of them kissing. You have to pause the video right there to see it, because the very next clip is of Scarlett and Gunnar kissing.

Yes, it is definitely Deacon and his new friend, who I am speculating might be his new puppy's veterinarian. Deacon and Rayna do have a kind of shorthand when they talk, but I'm sure we'll find out more about what's going on with them after they talk more. Or maybe Deacon will try to explain his relationship with Rayna to his new girlfriend (I'd like to see that!). I didn't think Rayna's words to Deacon were cryptic, but agree that no one likes being used.

lorra

lorra

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 2:08 PM

Yes, it is definitely Deacon and his new friend, who I am speculating might be his new puppy's veterinarian.

You know, I'm beginning to think that this was one of Rayna and Deacon's original problems. Him and other woman. The reason why I'm speculating this is who was that journalist he slept with? I didn't pay so much attention at the time.

Probably when they were a couple Rayna and Teddy had several problems. He's no Puritan.

Edited by lorra, Mar 1, 2013 @ 2:10 PM.

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

This is why Rayna was anxious to speak to Deacon. It is why she went to that party. And it is the meaning behind her cryptic words that she will do right by Deacon. She's aware of all this and the conclusions Deacon must be drawing.

My guess is that Rayna was totally avoiding Deacon after they got back from whatever their last tour date is. She had every reason to reach out to him -- to tell him about Teddy and the divorce, or just to continue the talk that they were going to have that night after she and Deacon kissed. But she didn't. Which must have been quite a realization for Deacon once he found out about the divorce. I assumed that by 'do right' she meant be honest with him, and maybe she also means to tell him about Maddie.

When you think back to the pilot and how close Rayna and Deacon were, her silence and avoidance are really significant. I got the impression that they saw each other and/or talked and texted pretty much daily back then, and confided in each other.

lorra

lorra

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 3:15 PM

My guess is that Rayna was totally avoiding Deacon after they got back from whatever their last tour date is. She had every reason to reach out to him -- to tell him about Teddy and the divorce, or just to continue the talk that they were going to have that night after she and Deacon kissed. But she didn't. Which must have been quite a realization for Deacon once he found out about the divorce.

I assume that's what he meant by "seriously" in the text message. I think she avoided him, both that last night Chicago and since getting back, because she had hope of saving her marriage. Until Rayna found out about Peggy. Then she was too embarassed. It's not easy to verbalize the fact that your husband dumped you for another woman. She felt shame. We saw that in what she said to Lamarr.

lorra

lorra

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 11:07 AM

In the preview, it looks like Juliette is having sex with the drug counselor. That is fast! Almost too fast.