24-2: "Treehouse of Horror XXIII" 2012.10.07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

14 replies to this topic

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

It's October, and a Treehouse of Horror is airing?! Well, here is the summary from SNPP:

"The Greatest Story Ever Holed" - Springfield's Subatomic Supercollider creates a miniature black hole that endangers the town;
"UNnormal Activity" - a spoof of Paranormal Activity;
"Bart & Homer's Excellent Adventure" - Homer and Bart's trip back to 1974 to buy a comic book when it first comes out has an unintended side effect; Homer causes 1974 Homer not to meet Marge, and when they return to the present, she's married to Artie Ziff;
plus, the "Simp-Mayans" witness a prediction that the world will end in 2012

ETA:

Cold Open: "What Baktun is it?" "Thirteenth!" "Ooh!" I like how Mayan Frink had to assume Christ would be born, create AND carry the leap years, and blame it all on Obama to prove that the world will end in 2012.

The Greatest Story Ever Holed: Okay, the effect of the black hole and Lisa dragging it away was a pretty cool. Really excellent animation all around. I actually liked that the story became Gremlins, but with a black hole in place of Gizmo. Freaking Milhouse caused the thing to go critical mass, but I loved how giving it Maggie's pacifier plugged it up. I liked the alien society built around Springfield's crap (and worshipped the Zune), but the segment just...ended.

UNnormal Activity: Loved that Homer would try to snuggle with the camera on (with Marge twice AND a demon three-way). And that Milhouse would sneak into Lisa's room. It was a nice reveal that Marge made the pact with the Moe demon to save Patty & Selma.

"What are you doing?"
"We're trying to summon the devil."
"Why?"
"We're bored."

Bart & Homer's Excellent Adventure: Back to The Future spoof! Of course Frink would create a time machine car out of a hybrid car. Artie Ziff as Bart's dad was creepy (and funny). The League of Homers Through History was awesome, especially Cardinal Homer talking about Jebus.

Man, this had to be the best THoH in YEARS. Really liked this one!

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Oct 7, 2012 @ 7:32 PM.

Peace_47

Peace_47

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

I liked the alien society built around Springfield's crap (and worshipped the Zune), but the segment just...ended.

That ending was so abrupt, I was wondering if my local station had inadvertently cut to commercial, but I guess I not.

I did not see the entire show: were Kang & Kodos in it, or did they stop doing that?

On the last segment, I liked the joke about Marge mistaking Renaissance Homer for Caveman Homer, and I liked seeing Artie Ziff again (it's been so long since I've watched the early episodes, I forgot that he existed). but I kind of didn't like that Bart was so willing to forego Homer as his father, although that's totally just my weird mood tonight: I know that everyone acts harshly out of character in Treehouse of Horror episodes (like, say, being a-okay with cooking children in detention ... mmm Uterbraten). I guess I thought the whole scenario was a little under-realized, though: it seems like there could have been more comedic potential in a situation where young Homer meets his future child, other than the cheap strangling joke.

On the Paranormal Activity parody, I liked Lisa being indignant that Maggie was the presumed favorite child until she figured out what that would mean. That was cute.

Kalidah

Kalidah

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

I did not see the entire show: were Kang & Kodos in it, or did they stop doing that?

Kang and Kodos were in the open -- one of the Mayan gods destroying the earth threw the giant Lard Lad donut into space and it narrowly missed their saucer.

JabuXevioso

JabuXevioso

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

Definitely one of the better Halloween episodes in a long time! I think the last one I really liked was the one when Homer ate that alien blob and, as a result, started eating people, and Bart got control of Krusty's golem. I haven't really enjoyed any others since then, so finally enjoying this one was a great surprise!

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

The security footage of the golf club coming out of the closet, around the bed, and beating Homer over the head cracked me up.

ndp2

ndp2

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

Kang and Kodos were in the open -- one of the Mayan gods destroying the earth
threw the giant Lard Lad donut into space and it narrowly missed their
saucer.

Also, if you looked closely, you'll see Kang and Kodos were wearing Halloween costumes (one of them was dressed as a pirate).

Peace_47

Peace_47

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 2:09 AM

Thanks, ndp2 and Kalidah, for the info on Kang and Kodos. Nice to know that they are still around.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

I thought it was a very good installment, and the time travel one was one of my favorites in years. But the best part of the episode was that Homer and Marge officially meet in the 1970s, even after the grunge "back to the 90s" episode.

Of course it means that Homer is pushing 56 now. Unless that episode was set in the late 80s/early 90s.

Fun fact- The Way We Was first aired on January 31, 1991. It's nearly 22 years old.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

The security footage of the golf club coming out of the closet, around the bed, and beating Homer over the head cracked me up.

Hee, me too! I also couldn't help laughing when Moe's head said that soccer is boring even to the soccer ball. And when Marge insisted the black hole be put in a playpen. Really, Marge? LOL

It wouldn't be a Halloween episode without Kang & Kodos, and in costume! And Artie Ziff always makes any episode better. :)

Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

A

lso, if you looked closely, you'll see Kang and Kodos were wearing Halloween costumes (one of them was dressed as a pirate).

The other one was dressed as a sexy nurse.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

I'm surprised by how obvious Bartie Ziff and yet I never thought of it.

I'm also surprised that Comic Book Guy doesn't like Disney's The Black Hole. I think it's a great film, and BOB and Vincent are such great non-human characters.

Edited by CantThinkUpName, Oct 8, 2012 @ 3:42 PM.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

I'd like to think CBG just tossed it in for the meta value.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 7:23 AM

I also liked that if you watched the timer during Homer's morning pee, it took something like half an hour. I really enjoyed this one. The black hole bit didn't really work, but everything else was really funny, and for once everything was horror/sci-fi parody not just a random movie parody so it made it better.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

The other one was dressed as a sexy nurse.

Heh. Somehow after a million years, I still love this show. It's like that ten-foot hoagie. It may be moldy and old, but I can't stay mad at it.

Banna

Banna

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

As a fan of Artie/Jon Lovitz/The Critic, I was most amused by the Artie story line. I completely lost it when they showed Bart's hair and Lisa's "ahckem!" cough.