Call the Midwife

• Please log in to reply

792 replies to this topic

kohola3

kohola3

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 3:00 PM

So touching. So thought provoking. So sad. All in one amazing episode.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

I thought it was nice to see Chummy's buddy Jack (from the second episode) again.

Oh, me too. In the book we learn what became of Jack IRL:
Spoiler

Edited by attica finch, Jan 1, 2013 @ 5:07 PM.

johchi

johchi

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

Regarding Mrs. Jenkins's children all dying, she must have been really desperate to enter the workhouse so who knows how long she was hanging on between her husband dying and entering. The kids may have been undernourished going in and then not getting any love or care once they were there. It's just heartbreaking to hear their names and ages. How frightening must that have been for them, so little and having their whole lives ripped apart.

Most of Mrs. Jenkins's children died of illness: pneumonia, TB, influenza. Only two died of "failure to thrive." Given the deplorable conditions, I agree that it's amazing that anyone made it out alive. Losing all of her children like that must have sent Mrs. Jenkins so far over the edge that it would be impossible to fully recover.

not Bridget

not Bridget

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 8:17 AM

Many of us really love Chummy. A Times article (behind the paywall) clued me in that Call The Midwife is only one of Miranda Hart's many projects. Her website reveals that she is also a standup comedian & stars in a sitcom called--Miranda.

Well hello to you and thanks for browsing my way. A pleasure to receive your mouse click (not a euphemism). Such fun. Welcome to my, what I call, website. I will be adding more photos, exclusive videos and other nonsense in due course so do pop back. But for now may I blatantly draw your attention to the shop where you can purchase DVDs and books plus to the Tour Dates page where you can buy tickets for the 2014 Live Tour if the desire takes you. For those of you who have been kindly asking we will be back with a Series 3 on BBC1 on Boxing Day 2012.

Thanks for your interest in popping on this page (that is fun to say suggest you say it out loud immediately, wherever you are) and for all your support of the show. See you soon me old internet chum.

Miranda x

(Hey, BBCamerica--we wouldn't mind a bit of British silliness!)

Cristiane

Cristiane

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 9:14 AM

The sitcom Miranda has been shown on at least some PBS stations (I saw it here in NY) and it is hilarious. Miranda Hart also shows up from time to time on Graham Norton's chat show (on BBCAmerica) where she is also very, very funny. I adore her - how can one not love Chummy?

CindyBee

CindyBee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

Oh, me too. In the book we learn what became of Jack IRL

This is one of the best tidbits to come from the book, what happens to Jack later in life. I know developing a story line around him wouldn't probably work in a future episode but hopefully it will be mentioned. And I wonder who is the real "Jack"?!!?

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 2:08 PM

The pregnant teenager story. It was handled well, but maybe I watch too much "EastEnders" and Inspector Morse because the characters who had teenaged pregnancies (Lou Beale in the 1940s and Kat Moon in the 1980s) either did not keep the child (Lou Beale) or the child was raised by the grandparents acting as the parent and the mother as a sibling (Kat Moon and the episode of "Endeavor").

Good to see Jack as he was suspiciously missing after episode 2. But a Jimmy-less episode????

fastiller

fastiller

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Baby Raymond: -1- was raised by the grandparents a la Kat Moon; and, -2- was given another name (as the family didn't choose Raymond for him).

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 5:24 PM

I was checking IMDB to find the name of the actress who played the teenaged mother (Ami Metcalf). While looking at a few other actors in the cast, I discovered that Sister Monica Joan is played by the same actress (Judy Parfitt) who played the wealthy woman for whom Kathy Bates' character works in "Dolores Claiborne". I just stumbled on this movie over the holiday and watched most of it, but I would never have recognized Sister Monica Joan as Vera Donovan.

Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

The pregnant teenager story. It was handled well, but maybe I watch too much "EastEnders" and Inspector Morse because the characters who had teenaged pregnancies (Lou Beale in the 1940s and Kat Moon in the 1980s) either did not keep the child (Lou Beale) or the child was raised by the grandparents acting as the parent and the mother as a sibling (Kat Moon and the episode of "Endeavor").

Yeah, that rang false to me, too. I mean, I know that it sometimes happened that a girl that young would be allowed to raise her own child, but on the show it's made out to be like almost everybody thinks it's for the best, which was not the prevailing attitude at the time.

not Bridget

not Bridget

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 11:32 AM

She wasn't raising the child herself. She was still living at home. And we'd already seen her helping her mother raise her brothers.

We don't know what the sanctimonious old biddies at her parents' church said about the situation; I'm sure they disapproved. But the sisters & lay midwives had seen much worse....

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

Yes, she was still living at home and helping with her little brothers (as older children were expected to do in that era). But I don't think Raymond would be calling her "Mum" when he grew older. I think he would be raised to believe she was his older sister, not his mother. The social stigma was too great in that era for the family of an unmarried mother (teenaged or not) to publicly acknowledge that.

Tim McD

Tim McD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

Great Christmastime fare, I think this will become part of our holiday viewing from now on. Only quibble was a technical issue; I found myself constantly distracted by the "snow"; it looked like they just painted things white.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 12:18 PM

Likely "Raymond" would be raised to believe that Lynnette(?) was his older sister. This was the custom, and the relatives and neighbors were expected to forget anything unusual. Lynnette's mother's baby was three months older (she said she was "three months gone" when Raymond's probable father was in town) but the two could be raised as twins. I did wonder why they couldn't put two babies in one pram.

I thought the white was frost, not snow. Wondered about the piles of furniture outside Mrs. Jenkins's room. Wouldn't people take that wood to burn to keep warm? Someone said her building was condemned and theoretically empty, though, so maybe most people had firewood closer to home.

Edited by Driad, Jan 3, 2013 @ 12:19 PM.

hlisy

hlisy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 6:12 PM

Likely "Raymond" would be raised to believe that Lynnette(?) was his older sister. This was the custom, and the relatives and neighbors were expected to forget anything unusual. Lynnette's mother's baby was three months older (she said she was "three months gone" when Raymond's probable father was in town) but the two could be raised as twins. I did wonder why they couldn't put two babies in one pram.

I thought the white was frost, not snow. Wondered about the piles of furniture outside Mrs. Jenkins's room. Wouldn't people take that wood to burn to keep warm? Someone said her building was condemned and theoretically empty, though, so maybe most people had firewood closer to home.

I think they used two prams to show that the girl did keep the baby but one pram would have likely been used. I remember hearing about singer Boby Darrin finding out that his sister was actually his mother and his 'mom' was really his grandma. It was due to avoid bringing shame on the family.

not Bridget

not Bridget

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 6:59 PM

All the neighbors knew about Raymond's birth. Besides--he might see his birth certificate some day. Before they met the kid, the "grandfather" said he didn't want the girl signing any papers hastily...

jcoop13

jcoop13

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 7:51 PM

I remember hearing about singer Boby Darrin finding out that his sister was actually his mother and his 'mom' was really his grandma. It was due to avoid bringing shame on the family.

Jack Nicholson was also raised in a similar situation.
My mother grew up on the West Side of Manhattan and there were similarities to the East End. Many poor and working class women back then delivered at home with midwives/doctors. Church affiliated charities and hospitals were also a very important source of social, medical and financial support. And she also used to talk about how much things had changed since the 60's-before then there was a very severe stigma attached to being illegitimate, which many people today have trouble comprehending. There were basically three alternatives back then if a unwed woman got pregnant: shotgun marriage, go away and put the baby up for adoption, or have an illegal abortion which could kill her or render her sterile. My mother (who didn't have me, her only child, until age 37) had several family members and friends who forced to opt for one of those scenarios, and the most of the time the outcomes weren't happy.

Edited by jcoop13, Jan 3, 2013 @ 7:51 PM.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 1:40 PM

I am reading the book. Not sure I will finish it. As much as I loved the series the book is just too realistic for me. Just finished the chapter about Mary and the prostitution. Not sure I needed all those details.

The Christmas episode did make me cry.

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 9:53 PM

I am not a crier, but this show makes me want to cry every episode. I love how it's funny and heavy hitting all at the same time and it pulls no punches what so ever. I'm trying to find the books on audiobook because I have zero zero time to read.

Edited by sienna gold, Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:00 PM.

Empressv

Empressv

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

Congratulations to Miranda Hart on her National TV Award for her portrayal of Chummy!

BTW, if any of y'all are on Facebook, whoever runs the "Call the Midwife" page does an excellent job of posting links, photos, etc.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 4:41 PM

I don't think this was posted yet, but Season 2 will air on PBS in March!

http://www.pbs.org/p...ll-the-midwife/

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 8:38 PM

Miranda Hart will be appearing Tuesday night on BBCA in that Bear Grylls program.

Blackie

Blackie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 9:49 PM

Does anyone know if PBs will be replaying Season 1 before Season 2? I have means to get caught up (loved the first 2 episodes) but want to recommend it to my mom.

Funny a few things have reminded me of the midwife assisted birth of my son 15 years ago.
Some things haven't changed that much.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 8:18 AM

One of my PBS stations did a CAll The Midwife marathon on Saturday. So I guess you'll have to keep checking the local listings.

frieda

frieda

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 9:24 AM

The main Chicago PBS station is having a "Call the Midwife" season 1 marathon all day on March 31, with the first episode of the new series at 7:00 pm--and then Masterpiece Theater's "Mr. Selfridge" at 8:00 pm. The great thing about "Call the Midwife" is that it's just an extra program--they didn't try to cram it into the Masterpiece schedule (and make us wait).

In the meantime, I read the second book in the series, "Shadows of the Workhouse." I was surprised that most of the stories in that book had already been used in series 1. I know there's one more book in the series, but I wonder what they're going to do for story lines once the books have been used up. Will they do historical research to find new stories? This TV program is based so strictly on the books, and series 2 is 8 episodes rather than 6. I'm afraid they're going to run out of material. Has a third series been commissioned yet?

The publisher has reissued these books in handsome trade paperback format, and the Chicago library has obligingly gotten a bunch of copies of the second one so I could read it, as mentioned. Now I guess I have to wait for the third book to come out and for the Chicago library to buy some copies.

How sad that Jennifer Worth herself is no longer around to enjoy the great success of these books.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 11:57 PM

Can't wait for this show to start again, I miss it.

MHSWeb79

MHSWeb79

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 4:20 PM

I read the first book and there wasn't any mention of Chummy having a romance, let alone marriage. Maybe it's in the 2nd or third book? Miranda Hart nails the character, at least as described in the book. She's fantastic.

One thing I did notice in the series was the episode where Chummy took off her brand- new dress, I think to assist in the birth of the piglets- which made me laugh because there's a running gag in her "Miranda" series where her clothes get ripped off. I thought that scene might have been there as an inside joke.

MattClem

MattClem

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

In the meantime, I read the second book in the series, "Shadows of the Workhouse." I was surprised that most of the stories in that book had already been used in series 1. I know there's one more book in the series, but I wonder what they're going to do for story lines once the books have been used up. Will they do historical research to find new stories? This TV program is based so strictly on the books, and series 2 is 8 episodes rather than 6. I'm afraid they're going to run out of material. Has a third series been commissioned yet?

There was an interview a couple of weeks ago over here in the Radio Times; Series 3 has been commissioned (along with a further Christmas special), and they do acknowledge that they're going to run out of the original stories; Jennifer Worth did give her permission for the series to continue with original storylines after the books were exhausted.

It does strike me that doing that ends up a little odd when dealing with Jenny (the character), though, given that you're now making up fictional stories about a real person... who has given you permission to write fictional stories involving them!

http://www.radiotime...terial-runs-out

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 4:17 PM

Considering how compelling the real stories are, I'm worried about what they'll make up. We could be getting some really bad storylines.

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 3:23 AM

For those of us who have missed this show on PBS, Netflix is streaming it.