Notes from the Mod: READ BEFORE POSTING

• Please log in to reply

55 replies to this topic

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

Welcome to the new Homeland threads. TWOP will be recapping the show this season.

I'm your friendly neighborhood moderator TWOP Lockley. I promise to remain friendly if you all would be vigilant about the Dos and Don'ts of posting here. If you're new or it's been a while since you've read the full list of Dos and Don'ts or our comprehensive FAQ, please take a few minutes to do that before Season 2 begins.

I'd like to especially call out a couple of rules, because these are the ones that seem to get broken the most when you have a complex and dense drama that will undoubtedly elicit a variety of reactions and opinions.

Good Manners and Respect Dos and Don'ts

DON'T use "um," be snotty to another poster, or make the argument personal
DON'T talk about the boards on the boards
DO know the difference between differences of opinion and personal attacks
DON'T present your opinions as facts
DON'T post the same opinion over and over in the hopes of wearing other people down or "winning" a discussion; just move on

This is an intelligent show and you all are intelligent folks. I expect you to celebrate and show off that intelligence as you post.

As for thread management, I've started a spoiler thread and a Season One thread. Once the new episodes start, I will create the individual episodes and make sure they are live and ready for you to have at it as soon as the episode has aired.

A couple of reminders on what spoilers are and are not:

What is a spoiler?

A spoiler is an important piece of information that, if someone wanted to watch the show without knowing what was going to happen, would spoil the show for him or her. Here are some things that would be considered spoilers:

plot details for an episode that has not yet had its first American airing (usually first Eastern Time Zone airing)
plot details for shows broadcast outside the U.S. and scheduled for broadcast in the U.S. at a later time (e.g. when Degrassi: The Next Generation airs in Canada before the U.S.; when BBC America is behind BBC UK showing Torchwood)
unverified rumors about unaired episodes (since the information could be true)
casting and show info NOT broken in mainstream press

Here are some things that would NOT be considered spoilers:

content of aired previews and commercials and other first-party promo material
details of an episode after its first American airing
casting and show info broken in mainstream press
historic facts as they pertain to a show plot (e.g. JFK's assassination, Wild Bill's death, etc.)
idle speculation
anything that has happened on a show that is not going to be shown in the U.S. to the best of your knowledge (e.g. German Idol)

If you're feeling ambitious or have something to say about a specific character, you are welcome to start a thread that will direct conversation to those areas. In fact, I encourage that, in order to keep the episode threads on topic, but rather than setting up a bunch of threads now, I figure we can let them spring up organically.

Happy Homeland chatting! Let's get this (party?) started! Personally this show is rough for me because I can't look at Damien Lewis and not long for Dick Winters.

Edited by TWoP Lockley, Sep 28, 2012 @ 2:57 PM.

Princess Louie

Princess Louie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

I am just thrilled that TWOP has added this terrific show to your main menu of shows. Thanks so much!

And, I agree that while Damien Lewis just OWNS this role, at times I see expressions that remind me of Major Winters too.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

Yay for the Homeland forum and upcoming recaps! I was utterly gripped by S1, despite its occasional serious flaw, and am really psyched that S2 is starting in TWO DAYS. :-)

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

Lockley, can I ask who has been assigned the Homeland recaps?

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

I don't know who the recapper is, but I can find out and report back. Hang tight.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

Woohoo. Homeland recapper is Jacob.

Making a rule here.

This show, like many of its ilk, requires a certain amount of suspension of disbelief, clearly. It's a TV drama not a documentary.

You may dissect any plot holes you perceive and reflect on the unreality of an event in a given episode, but don't get too caught up in that kind of discussion in the episode threads, and certainly don't act shocked or surprised or frustrated when people decide to poke holes in plot devices.

This site is called Television WITHOUT Pity. It's fine to critique a show harshly. Just don't critique each OTHER that way.

It's really easy to float off topic when you get into dissecting the preposterousness of a specific plot point or the premise in general. Perhaps we can come up with a cleverly titled "unreality" thread which can be home to extensive discussions about that topic?

Edited by TWoP Lockley, Oct 1, 2012 @ 5:03 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Will you be creating a sub-directory for character/people threads, or may we start those in General Gabbery? If the former, may I suggest something like Security Clearances as the sub-directory title?

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

I was thinking we could use some character threads. Creating a new sub-forum is something I have to push up the ladder, I don't think I can do it myself. But I love the title. Let me check that out.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

OK so, I am going to hold off on creating a subforum for character threads right now. We don't have that many threads going, so it's not too hard to find what you're looking for to post.

Having said that, please, everyone, remember this is now a multi-thread forum and be careful where you post.

Episode threads are for discussion of the current episode only. In-depth conversations about media mentions, character development, potential spoilers, speculation, etc should go in those threads.

I started a speculation with spoilers thread. Doesn't seem to be a need at this point to have two spec threads so we'll start with one where spoilers are fair game.

Previews of upcoming episodes are not spoilers. From the FAQ

What is a spoiler?

A spoiler is an important piece of information that, if someone wanted to watch the show without knowing what was going to happen, would spoil the show for him or her. Here are some things that would be considered spoilers:

plot details for an episode that has not yet had its first American airing (usually first Eastern Time Zone airing)
plot details for shows broadcast outside the U.S. and scheduled for broadcast in the U.S. at a later time (e.g. when Degrassi: The Next Generation airs in Canada before the U.S.; when BBC America is behind BBC UK showing Torchwood)
unverified rumors about unaired episodes (since the information could be true)
casting and show info NOT broken in mainstream press

Here are some things that would NOT be considered spoilers:

content of aired previews and commercials and other first-party promo material
details of an episode after its first American airing
casting and show info broken in mainstream press
historic facts as they pertain to a show plot (e.g. JFK's assassination, Wild Bill's death, etc.)
idle speculation
anything that has happened on a show that is not going to be shown in the U.S. to the best of your knowledge (e.g. German Idol)

Generally, if it's floating about in the mainstream press (the CNNs, EWs, APs, and Peoples of the world) as a regular press item, then it's probably not a spoiler and you may post it without spoiler tags. As always, please use common sense here; if someone like Kristin Veitch or Michael Ausiello is explicitly identifying some tidbit as a spoiler, yes, you should still use tags.

Talk about the first season in the Season One thread.

Please feel free to start character threads now if you're so inclined. We can always organize them into a subforum later as activity warrents.

Thanks!

jeansheridan

jeansheridan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

Where would be the appropriate place to give Jacob feedback on his recapping style? Thanks!

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Are you thinking of a private message? I can find out how you can contact him with something on that. Otherwise, you can discuss recaps in the appropriate epiode threads.

jeansheridan

jeansheridan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

I guess it isn't private. I'm not thrilled with the second episode recap format and I wondered if he would continue going that way? I know he's a writer and wants to be creative, but it's not fun to read. Of course I love snark (I love this site, obviously), but it just wasn't fun and didn't really make sense. Just an opinion, obviously. Thanks for responding.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Knowing Jacob, I think we'll probably see a variety of styles as the season progresses. Personally he's one of my favorite writers on this site and just in general. Look back at some of his Battlestar Galactica recaps, they're positively inspiring stylistically.

At the end of every recap are links to where you can find Jacob on FB, Twitter etc. And his email address is included in his staff listing bio here. I would say, if you would like to reach out to him it's probably OK, he just may or may not respond.

Thanks for checking and sorry it took me so long to reply.

bestever

bestever

Posted Oct 31, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

Would it be possible to start individual thread's on the characters, especially Brody and Carrie? I know you said that was okay, but I wasn't sure if I could just start a thread without permission first. Also, I was hoping someone else could start them as I'm not too clever when it comes to naming the thread...pressure! ;)

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Feel free to start character threads! We can always add clever character names later if people have suggestions.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

I can never think of anything really catchy. I wanted to start one about Brody and call it " Nicholas Brody: Semper Fi" but there's nothing really funny about that.

Edited because I can't type on an iPad.

Edited by rogaine2233, Nov 2, 2012 @ 3:26 PM.

CaseStudy

CaseStudy

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

" Or a title that makes fun of people calling Brody by his last name only.

I was also wondering about the recaps as well. I'm not a huge fan of their formatting, but overall I enjoy them. Must we wait till Sunday to get the full recap? Every show that airs over the weekend has its full recap up by the following Friday.

Edited by CaseStudy, Nov 2, 2012 @ 3:42 PM.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

OH also, I've locked the current episode thread for now while we create some new homes for discussion. Things are getting a little off topic and all over the place in there.

Will re-open it later after I sort it out.

Thanks!

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

How about Nicholas Brody: I am NOT a terrorist!

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Playing off of Jacob's recaplet titles: Nicholas Brody: Tinker Traitor Soldier Spy and when someone wants to open a Quinn thread: Peter Quinn: The Spy Who Stabbed Me.

I was also wondering about the recaps as well.

Jacob also recaps The Good Wife, which airs on Sundays too. Probably takes him a while to do both.

Edited by Amester0120, Nov 2, 2012 @ 11:02 PM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Thread name suggestion

Sgt Nicholas Brody: Wait? He has a first name???

Edited by SDcat2009, Nov 2, 2012 @ 10:36 PM.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

Amester0120 I love both of those. Making it so.

Oh and as for Jacob's recaps, I believe the editorial policy is to have them up before the next episode airs, but some pop up earlier than others, depending on recapper.

So, I've gotten a bunch of character threads started, but please feel free to start more. Just make sure they don't already exist first. This should help keep the episode-thread discussion tighter.

Sorry I didn't say it earlier, I just assumed y'all knew you were free to start new threads. I just don't want to call in the Strega tech required to create an additional "characters" subforum until the forum grows to the point where it needs one. We're not quite there yet.

I just moved a whole mess of posts from the episode thread to the Carrie and Brody relationship thread. There's a great and valid discussion happening about the authenticity of Carrie and Brody's romantic relationship and how that is affecting both the characters. By all means, keep it going, but it doesn't belong in episode-specific threads, at least with the kind of depth that was happening.

Last week's episode thread is open again, feel free to talk about the episode there.

Edited by TWoP Lockley, Nov 3, 2012 @ 12:48 AM.

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 1:35 AM

I've started a Season 2: General Gabbery thread because the episode threads are getting really off-topic and cluttered. I've moved several posts from the current episode thread over there and will be doing more cleanout from previous episodes as well.

As the season wraps up please use this new thread as a place to talk about the overarching themes of the series as they relate to any events that happened in season 2. There's a separate thread for season one.

If you're missing a post or have a question feel free to PM me about it.

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

Was wondering if we could start an Awards Thread. We're entering awards season right now (someone just posted in the Media thread that the SAG nominations came out today, and I think the Golden Globe nominations are next week). I'm not too good at coming up with clever titles, but maybe someone else could take a swing at it.

HollaMcDollar

HollaMcDollar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

Is a separate mole thread worth creating, or is better left as a subtopic under speculation?

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

I like both these thread ideas. Have at it. Or, I can get to it later tonight.

albaniantv

albaniantv

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

How about "So you do really like me: the Awards thread" and "Mulling over the Mole, continued"

HollaMcDollar

HollaMcDollar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

Do we have any additional name suggestions for the “Mole Thread”? albniantv’s is good, and I would suggest going with it in the absence of objections or additional suggestions…

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

What about "The Mole: 'Everyone's a Terrorist'"?

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

I like Hallelujah's suggestion. Anyone else?