Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion

• Please log in to reply

652 replies to this topic

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 1:57 AM

I'm glad I can go in prepared so I thank everyone who shared what happened. 

Damien Lewis was the main reason why I started watching Homeland, so if he is gone, then I have no interest in the show.

I'm kind of here too.  Had they pulled the plug on the character after the first season,  I would've been far more willing to see what happened next.  But I've struggled to enjoy the past two seasons overall and I don't think any of the weaknesses for me was Brody.

neonlite

neonlite

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 2:22 AM

i started watching for DL, as well and he has been the highlight for me. But I've just watched the finale and it's left me very sad but wanting to see what happens next to Saul, Carrie, et al. So I'm looking forward to next season though I will miss Brody a lot. He was a great character.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 7:49 AM

I think Quinn is a fascinating character. I am not upset by this ending. Brody had to go, his storyline was over. Lots of ways they can take this next year as maybe an interesting dynamic between Quinn and Carrie, the baby she doesn't want to raise, her positioning Turkey (I think they will bring her back stateside)

I haven,t read anything about Patinkin not returning as a regular next year but he's out of the CIA and in the private sector. Will he consult? Bring Carrie on board?

So many possibilities. I'm excited.

koalathebear

koalathebear

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 8:38 AM

I agree rogaine2233 - I think Quinn is fascinating, too.  I think that the Brody storyline received the appropriate closure and I am looking forward to what the next season offers - although it's going to be such a long wait... :(

I was a bit nervous when reading this article though: http://www.digitalsp...ining-role.html Is Claire Danes sick of the role?  Whereas I think Homeland can work without Brody, I do think that Carrie is quite integral.

shya100

shya100

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

I just think it is an indication of what we all pretty know... Homeland won't go on that much longer and if they follow a wire model it won't anyway. I think we are just beginning to see, with the death of Brody, an acknowledgement that this is Carrie's story and actually that story is close to be being told. We are beginning to see her story come full circle. She feared she would be alone in series 1, now she has a baby. She was under Saul's control and now she will be the boss.  It isn't imagined as something that will run and run. The may come out and say that next series is the last, or more likely I think next season they will say there is one more and that is it.

Edited by shya100, Dec 15, 2013 @ 8:50 AM.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 8:53 AM

I think 5 seasons is perfect. So many of my favorites (cough:MadMen:cough) went downhill after seasons 4 or 5. Shows like SFU and BB did it right.

Tandemonium

Tandemonium

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 3:19 PM

Well, thanks to some a-hole commenter on HuffPo, I can now come to this thread. She ruined the entire finale ON PURPOSE...quite smugly too.

I understand that the writers now have more freedom for the show's direction now, but this completely reminds me of President Palmer getting shot and 24 becoming The Jack Bauer Show...which is fine it's own way, except Homeland needs to be waaaay more grounded in reality and believability. It can't just be "Carrie...WILDCARD!" all the time.

They should Season 3 Brody her in the sense of introduce to all of us a whole new cast of characters for Season 4 except for Director Dick Cheney and then bring back Carrie and Saul later on in the season where we get some revelation of their significance in whatever it is that's going on.

jenanna

jenanna

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

Okay, I KNOW this is just a tv show, but I honestly feel sick to my stomach that Brody dies.  I know it's the best course for the storyline, but damn.  So so sad.

shya100

shya100

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 5:15 PM

I watched the pilot again today, I hadn't seen it since I first saw it over a year ago and there were so many parallels it was uncanny. Carrie going mental and asking for 2 minutes with her asset before he was hung and asking David for help. Brody looking at himself disbelievingly in the mirror.  The first scene we have of Carrie in America is her coming home from a one night stand but they have all these close up of the things in her house including the pictures of Nazir. I wouldn't be surprised if this is how they started series 4 but with pictures of her kid everywhere. Especially if there is a time jump. So we get a sense of what has happened and where we are now. It would also make a nice parallel. Life before and after Brody entered her life. I wonder if she will continue to be as troublesome as she has always been.

Edited by shya100, Dec 15, 2013 @ 5:16 PM.

leapjoy

leapjoy

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 6:54 PM

Add me to the choir that feels sick that Brody dies especially in the manner that it is done. I will pass on the finale. It's too bad because it's only been the last 3-4 episodes that brought my interest back to the show.

koalathebear

koalathebear

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 6:56 PM

leapjoy - that would be such a shame because it's actually almost beautiful to see Brody's redemption arc.  Maybe watch it but skip That Part?  The rest of it is definitely worth watching ...

TVBrewQueen

TVBrewQueen

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 8:31 PM

Just watched the finale. More than immensely sad. Part of me thinks it was the right thing story wise to do, but I can't help but think that the show has lost something by killing off Brody. Honestly, the finale kind of feels like a finale for the series.

jenanna

jenanna

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 8:34 PM

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm surprised that Carrie would say she feels no love for the baby.  You would think she'd be clinging to the baby as her last link to Brody?

koalathebear

koalathebear

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 8:59 PM

I think she's just panicked.  She admits to Quinn that she kept the baby because she wanted a part of him etc.  It's just that at the 8 month mark she started to freak out.

am1994

am1994

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 9:59 PM

but I can't help but think that the show has lost something by killing off Brody. Honestly, the finale kind of feels like a finale for the series.

It is the finale for me.  

koalathebear

koalathebear

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

Sad so many people want to stop watching.  I'm actually really excited for next season as long as enough of the strong characters are back.  The Brody storyline had reached its natural end and he was able to 'redeem' himself, at least in his own eyes.

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

I had predicted Brody's death in the season premiere, so I wasn't surprised by what happened, though I was surprised that it ended being a public hanging with Carrie watching.

The episode felt like a series finale.  I just don't know what they're going to do with the show next season that will make us care.  With Brody dead, the show honestly just isn't Homeland anymore - it's just going to be a show about the CIA, like so many shows that have come before it.  As much as I like watching the Carrie/Saul dynamic, as well as Quinn, Homeland does not these three characters make.

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 10:32 PM

What's going to happen to Brody's daughter now????? Wait....I didn't care when he was alive.

Very underwhelming season and finale imo. It really seemed like they ran out of ideas, or started to go in one direction story-wise and then just scrapped it altogether all season long.

I'll be back...what else am I going to watch on Sundays after a day of football? But I'm not dying for the show to be back next week like I have for other shows when they aired their season finale eps.

mag32gie

mag32gie

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 12:18 AM

It was sadistic.

No wonder Damien Lewis's wife refuses to watch Homeland, who could blame her?

It really would have killed these writers to give him a star?

Wouldn't you think someone would have told his family he didn't bomb Langley?

What happened to his body?

I'm so done with this Brody torture by the Homeland writers, good riddance.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 12:22 AM

What's going to happen to Brody's daughter now????? Wait....I didn't care when he was alive.

I find it interesting how Brody's son, Chris is forgotten about ALL THE TIME. No one, not even the show apparently, cares about him. Even in the annoucement that Baccarin and Saylor will no longer be series regulars, there was no announcement about Pace's fate. I guess the show forgot he exists too.

I hope Jackson Pace can go to a show that will actually utilize him. From the few times he's been on screen, he just stands around and says nothing. He literally gets paid to just stand there or sit there. I guess there is a positive out of all of it... he doesn't have to worry about memorizing lines.  He has the cushiest acting gig since Hodor on Game of Thrones!

ihatetoadmit

ihatetoadmit

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 5:13 AM

I also won't be watching anymore. It's hardly worth it. This episode was really sad, even though I am not the biggest fan of Brody - the death etc was just sad. I also don't get how Carrie is OK with it. Does she know her new Boss pretty much got Brody executed?

I think that Brody may be alive because they are saying his wife and Dana will not be regulars but will come on the show from time to time, which leads me to believe that Brody may still be alive.

Anyway, for now I will not watch anymore future episodes.

HollaMcDollar

HollaMcDollar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 12:30 PM

Was someone around here asking about the song played during the credits last night? The info is at the bottom of this article:

http://insidetv.ew.c...nd-brody-twist/

S7W9C2

S7W9C2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 1:56 PM

David Nevins talking about season 4 at the TCA.

http://www.spoilertv...-from-tcas.html