The Ricki Lake Show

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

27 replies to this topic

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

She's back with a new talk show. Anybody watching?

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

I'm watching--have my dvr set to record daily. While the new Ricki is cool, I miss the old ratchet Ricki Lake Show with the weave pulling, the doorbell signaling a surprise guest, the baby think it over episodes, etc.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 4:47 AM

Yeah, Ricki's still quite likable and a natural host, but I do think she should throw a bone to her original fans by at least doing one show a week with the old school style topics that made her such a long-running sensation back in the day: hoochie mama makeovers, guests who think they're all that, and Weave Wars. (There's a sweeps month episode: hoochie mamas who think they're all that as the test subjects for the competing hairdressers a new edition of Weave Wars...) Maury has paternity tests; Jerry has the fights; but Ricki had the market cornered on those three topics, and in her absence no one else picked them up, so she should at least toss them in the topic mix and then do her new, gentle Oprah-style subjects the rest of the week. I recognize she's a mature, thoughtful woman and that she also knows that a lot of her original viewers have similarly matured, but there's a bit of a fun zing missing this time around--exemplified by the really sedate audience members (original recipe Ricki had the *best* audience comments) and the downright *shameful* absence of the trademark "Go Ricki!" chant--not to mention she's thus far been way too female-centric this time around. A sizable male following contributed to her popularity back in the day--we men loved Weave Wars and hoochie makeovers as well. I also miss the nutty and often ridiculously long episode titles (one personal favorite: "Halter Tops, Booty Shorts and G-Strings Galore - Girl, I Can't Take Your Hoochie Look Anymore!").

Edited by twotrey, Sep 20, 2012 @ 4:54 AM.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 8:35 AM

Yeah, Ricki's still quite likable and a natural host, but I do think she should throw a bone to her original fans by at least doing one show a week with the old school style topics that made her such a long-running sensation back in the day: hoochie mama makeovers, guests who think they're all that, and Weave Wars. (There's a sweeps month episode: hoochie mamas who think they're all that as the test subjects for the competing hairdressers a new edition of Weave Wars...) Maury has paternity tests; Jerry has the fights; but Ricki had the market cornered on those three topics, and in her absence no one else picked them up, so she should at least toss them in the topic mix and then do her new, gentle Oprah-style subjects the rest of the week. I recognize she's a mature, thoughtful woman and that she also knows that a lot of her original viewers have similarly matured, but there's a bit of a fun zing missing this time around--exemplified by the really sedate audience members (original recipe Ricki had the *best* audience comments) and the downright *shameful* absence of the trademark "Go Ricki!" chant--not to mention she's thus far been way too female-centric this time around. A sizable male following contributed to her popularity back in the day--we men loved Weave Wars and hoochie makeovers as well. I also miss the nutty and often ridiculously long episode titles (one personal favorite: "Halter Tops, Booty Shorts and G-Strings Galore - Girl, I Can't Take Your Hoochie Look Anymore!").

I've always liked Ricki Lake. I haven't gotten a chance to see the show yet, but I have to say your post almost made me spit out my coffee!

vmc88

vmc88

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVED Ricki back in the day. I agree she needs to do more old school topics. I miss the talk shows from back then. I know she's mature now (I am too at 42) but previous posters are spot on. Give us one show a week of the old days. Just once I would LOVE someone to stand up and say "Girl, you better drop that zero and get yourself a hero."
Lots of hoochie mama topics...those were days. Do the kids even say hoochie mama anymore?

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

I understand that Ricki has matured in the years since her first talk show. I can't help but miss her old format and the Ricki audience back then was definitely part of the show. I suppose if she would've stuck with that format critics possibly would've complained, but her old show really was fun. Her return to television has been rather ho hum and that's a shame.

AzGrown

AzGrown

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

Ok I like Ricky but she had on mediums - John Edwards and Char Margolis - and what a pathetic terrible mess was Char. She made every skeptics day. I could do a better cold reading than that and I never have done it. Poor Ricky should of just sent her home and done the show without her - awkward!!

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 25, 2012 @ 8:42 PM.
Formatting

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

Indeed. Char was just grasping at straws and seemed to go through literally the whole alphabet with each audience member who stood up.

I suppose if she would've stuck with that format critics possibly would've complained, but her old show really was fun.

Very fun, and it also had its own unique style and energy that no one ever duplicated, and it would still stand out today, and has actually been missed. In the run-up to her new show's debut, I was seeing posts on the social networks about how people were excited about her return, clearly hoping for the generally lighthearted party atmosphere (even when the audience members would go after guests, it always was with an air of "all in good fun") and distinctive Ricki topics that no one else covered, but she's more or less squandered all of that anticipation and good will catering so narrowly to middle of the road soccer moms and such. While looking at clips of the old show on YouTube, it really is striking how diverse the studio audience was, really covering the range of ages and ethnicities and about equal parts women and men, for any topic. (For example, I love the older caucasian ladies in the audience just having a grand old time at Hoochie Crimes of Fashion.) It'll be interesting to see how much longer she'll continue on this milquetoast path if ratings remain what they are.

SistaLadybug

SistaLadybug

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

I'm one of the folks who was truly excited to have Ricki Lake back on the air. Being from Baltimore, I've loved her since the days of "Hairspray" (the original one, which to me, is the only one that matters) and I loved the first run of the "The Ricki Lake Show". I am so disappointed by what her new show has been so far. The topics are uninspired and uninteresting. I know that Ricki has matured and has new things that are of interest to her, but there has to be a way to mix her grown-up self with the fun she had previously. Now her show is just a carbon copy of every other mid-day ho-hum talk show and it seems it'll be here and gone quickly. I hope she'll be able to get it together and offer something that will keep the viewers coming back.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

I am so disappointed by what her new show has been so far. The topics are uninspired and uninteresting. I know that Ricki has matured and has new things that are of interest to her, but there has to be a way to mix her grown-up self with the fun she had previously. Now her show is just a carbon copy of every other mid-day ho-hum talk show and it seems it'll be here and gone quickly. I hope she'll be able to get it together and offer something that will keep the viewers coming back.

I've only seen a couple of episodes so far. IMO it's nothing but a show for (whining) pregnant women and (whining) moms who can't handle being moms. In my area she's on the same time as Katie Couric's show. I wonder how she'll do in the ratings against Katie's show.

springtime

springtime

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

Home from work- Saw Ricki's show today- I enjoyed it!

(Caught part of The Talk during the same hour but it was too formal/ stuffy)

Nice to have one host(vs a table full) with stories and topics viewers can relate to.

msstaceyu

msstaceyu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

All of the new talk shows this season have been really disappointing. I really wanted to like her new show. When I heard that she was going to have another talk show, I was excited, as I liked her old show. Ricki has always been an interesting person. However, I just can't get into her new show. I don't know if it's the topics that she is choosing, but her show is boring. I don't know if it's her choice of topics or me not being interested in her choice of topics, but I'm not enjoying her show as much as I had hoped.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 2:35 AM

The retooling has begun. *Very* smart move to switch gears while the season is still early, smarter still bringing in the co-creator and executive producer of the original show that made Ricki and her show so infectious and fun. With any luck the "bolder topics" will indeed include Weave Wars, hoochie mama makeovers, and the infamous doorbell by November sweeps--or, at the very least, the return of the "Go Ricki!" chant.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

I'd love if we got some of the Ricki topics from yesteryear but I'm not holding out much hope except for maybe sweeps week. I do hope that she can bring some of the fun back to daytime talk shows though.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

Starting with today's episode, I noticed the main title card now reads The New Ricki Lake Show, and the logo design has been slightly altered to a simple white-on-purple. I guess this means the retooling is starting to see air now--and there was a bit more of a freewheeling atmosphere in this show on "exposing the service industries," with the different themed set pieces (airline seats, restaurant booths, salon chairs) for each segment, and there was a segment on... celebrity weave horror stories! In the caption/descriptor text under one of the hairdresser guest's names, it read "found a Dorito under a weave." Looks like the old, beloved Ricki is finally back, at least somewhat...

SistaLadybug

SistaLadybug

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

That makes me happy to hear! I am going to give it another try. I really want Ricki to succeed.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

I caught a portion of an episode on Thanksgiving. Amber Reily from Glee appeared and the topic was "plus sized fashion". I didn't get an "old Rikki" vibe but it was pleasant enough. I have always liked Rikki Lake.

Edited by scarlett45, Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:20 AM.

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

The show is a snooze fest. I had to stop DVRing. I was so excited to have her back, but her topics are horrible, save for a decent one maybe once a week. "Rock Star Dads" was shown to be recorded and that's when I had to cancel it. She can still be fun without going the trashy route which she's so obviously trying to avoid. The Tyra Show was pretty fun without being trashy (I miss that show).

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 4:10 AM

The atmosphere has been a bit looser since the producer/logo change, and she's back to getting the audience more involved, and they've been getting a little more feisty. That said, it's still not as much fun as it could be. (I just ask for *one* hoochie and weave wars episode this season, heh.)

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

The show has a cheap, juvenile vibe. Doesn't hold my interest for long.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

This time around, she's only getting one season.

Canceled.

Edited by jw7579, Feb 4, 2013 @ 9:58 PM.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

It's not surprising that her show was canned. It was boring. I get that she wanted to be positive and uplifting, but she completely forgot about the viewers who tuned into her first talk show.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 4:01 PM

Her show was one of the most unnecessary talk shows currently on tv.

I don't think Ricki would have succeeded if it were more like her 1990s show. Besides Maury, don't most of those trashy talk shows get terrible ratings?

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 4:40 PM

I didn't bother watching. I always had a positive impression of Ricki Lake until I saw her on Dancing with the Stars. She was really unlikeable. I wonder how many others saw plenty of her on Dancing and didn't care to see any more.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

It's not surprising that her show was canned. It was boring. I get that she wanted to be positive and uplifting, but she completely forgot about the viewers who tuned into her first talk show.

I agree.

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

I'm surprised that she is regaining weight after losing all that on DWTS.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

I watched part of today's show with the girl who was on Bridezillas and Bad Girls Club. She could not talk for 1 minute without using the word "like" at least 10 times. I thought for a minute Kim Kardashian was on.

queenofsnark

queenofsnark

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

Ricki, who I'm a huge fan of, failed miserably at branding herself as the new Oprah! I won a $50 bet from a colleague of mine who doubted my expertise at branding (or branding failures)...lol