The Jeff Probst Show: The Diatribe Has Spoken

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

87 replies to this topic

Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

Azure, I didn't get a chance to watch that particular show but I'm wondering if they would have been stuck paying a gift tax on the car. I know I wouldn't want to pay taxes on something I really didn't want in the first place, even it was a gift. At least with the bikes the taxes would be a whole lot less.

marnyh

marnyh

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

Wouldn't the point of getting rid of the family car be to get rid of the expenses involved (gas, insurance, registration, etc.)? If the show gave them a car, they'd have those expenses all over again (not to mention the gift tax for the car itself). So a new car would do more harm than good, it would seem.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

They could have sold the car, then been able to pay gift tax and bought a cheap older car (or just saved the money, used it as needed, and continued to ride bikes).

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Didn't see this but agree with all of you WRT the vehicle's ongoing operating expenses. Have a feeling you meant income tax, however - not gift tax.

Anything received from one of these shows is considered a prize or award and taxed as nonemployee compensation for income tax purposes - both federal and state, if applicable.. The winner/guest receives a 1099 for the fair market value, assuming they received more than $600, total.

JMHO, all of the above -

Edited by diydude, Nov 23, 2012 @ 11:36 AM.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

So today Jeff had on a guy who calls himself a former psychic tand they did some debunking stuff. During the coming up next or something he fielded a question from an audience member who asked the guy that said he was a fake psychic will she ever find love. When Jeff pointed out he said he's not a real psychic she replies he seems real enough to me. Did anyone else see this and can you tell me what happened next? i missed it and would love to know.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I saw most of the psychic show. Like Jeff, I was flabbergasted when that stupid woman asked "Will I ever get married and when?" He pointed out the psychic wasn't real - that was the point. She sat down and they moved on.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 2:48 AM

I know the final 5 from Survivor will be on the show Wednesday. It's the only reason I would watch since I'm a huge Survivor fan. I can't say the same for the talk show. It's not the worst thing on TV but it isn't a very good talk show. Jeff tries too hard to be macho and a tough guy with his feet on the table and casual clothes. He tries to come off like he is some young dude which he isn't anymore. I'm not exactly sure how old he is but it's not like he is 25 or anything. Has the show been renewed yet? I know it's not as "big" as Katie's but I haven't heard one way or the other.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

It bugs me when he says : "Where's my wife ?" "Get my wife- go to a shot behind or off-set" " Let's ask Lisa, my wife"

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

King Cat Sam, yes, too much wife talk. Jeff's intro is about his wife, two amaaaaaaaaazing kids, wife works on the show, wife, wife, wife. Enough. ugh.

Kinda stupid because me doesn't mention anything about HIS career/background. It's all about the wife.

Edited by azure4, Dec 10, 2012 @ 10:24 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

What good is having the final five on the show this Wednesday? I guess they're pimping the last two episodes this season, but he's not going to spoil who wins, so there are huge areas he won't be able to venture into. He won't even be able to ask about Ponderosa (I have a lot of Ponderosa questions this season), because only two of them will have been there.

Melina Detroit

Melina Detroit

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Great show today with Survivor Final Five. I actually marked my calendar so I wouldn't miss it (as a diehard Survivor fan) and enjoyed it intensely.

I have to say I'm really enjoying Jeff's show. I don't watch it daily but when I do, I enjoy the positive and energetic vibe, and how different it is from the other daytime talk shows I have available to me. I find Jeff surprisingly natural and honest, despite occasional disingenuous remarks about being old and unattractive. I'd be happy if this show was renewed.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

I've caught bits and pieces of this and completely understand why this is a flop. There's too many of these high road, "better than Springer," celebrity centric talk shows on the air, and Jeff is about 6 years too late to try to capitalize on his Survivor fame. Awful show.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 4:13 AM

Really enjoyed the show today with the Survivor final 5. It gave each of them a chance to show their true personality, unlike at the usual reunion show where things are moving too quickly.

I think Jeff has finally found his groove, so hope he gets renewed.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

Literally, everything is amaaaaaaaaaazing. This is the adventure. Really?

In addition to too much "my wife" talk, I don't care for the jeans and green sneakers look. It screams of "Let's be different and fresh".

And those "ambush adventures" - ugh.

Edited by azure4, Dec 31, 2012 @ 2:29 PM.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 4:25 AM

I agree that the "ambush" stuff has got to go! I'll take 'on the couch' any day over that.

The golden sisters were funny today. It was a repeat, but hadn't seen it the first time.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 9:54 AM

I agree with having Jeff lose the jeans & green sneakers. He's 51 years old and not 21 years old. He's trying too hard to come off as young & hip. You are on a national talk show and he really should dress up a little bit. And Jeff, would you please take your feet off the coffee table! It's not very good manners.

Edited by ByaNose, Jan 1, 2013 @ 9:54 AM.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 2:36 AM

I have no problem with Jeff's clothes or demeanor. After all, he's trying to appeal to all ages. It's not as if he's walking around with an oxygen tank tied to his back.

kaygeeret

kaygeeret

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 7:49 PM

And...the show is no longer scheduled for viewing in my area - MIlwaukee WI..so cancelled I guess.

missy jo

missy jo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 8:57 PM

I actually really like the show.

SanDiegoInExile

SanDiegoInExile

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 10:13 PM

And...the show is no longer scheduled for viewing in my area - MIlwaukee WI..so cancelled I guess.

Check your Milwaukee local listings. I saw a mention that it now airs @205AM and repeats @5AM on another station. Primo timeslots.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 12:32 AM

Today was the first time Lisa Welchel became a (sorta) co-host. They tried a Regis & Kelly format which how Jeff got the idea & job for the show. It was okay & Lisa was very nervous. Jeff told a long winded story about going to Disneyland and then he turned it to Lisa and said what do you have. And, she sort of choked. I was surprised because the first thing I thought of was that Lisa was a Mouseketeer and was at Disneyland & World plenty of times doing shows. Maybe, she'll do better as time goes on but I think she is the type of person who needs a script and/or character.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 12:41 AM

Byanose, you are right. She clutched and Jeff picked up the ball and ran with it the rest of the show. For the rest of the show, she really didn't need to be there.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

she really didn't need to be there.

I agree. The Lisa Whelchel co-host idea is not working at all. Ugh.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 12:09 PM

I watched the show last night & must admit I wasn't crazy about the way Jeff interrupted Lisa's story to ask if she thought her story was interesting. What?? I thought that was very unkind given the fact that she was trying to rise to the occasion.

I also agree that Lisa as co-host doesn't work.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 4:15 PM

Yesterday's interview with the poor woman who has 100 orgasms a day was interesting. I'm not too impressed with Probst as an interviewer, but I thought the interview and the discussion was respectful, tasteful and informative.

I tried watching the host chat before the nurse with the orgasm disorder came on and found it unbearable. If adding host chat didn't work for Anderson Cooper, who's a million times more interesting and talented than Probst imo, why would it work for this disaster? I don't know.

kaygeeret

kaygeeret

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 6:37 PM

Thanks SanDiegoInExile for the info.... I don't have a VCR so the show is done for me, no great loss.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

This show happen to be on because the station was on and I can not believe Jeff. He wants to be Hugh Jackman and all that time spent talking about his his hair? WTH?? I will not tune in on purpose that is for sure.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 2:38 PM

I was thinking the same thing. A bit on the narcissistic side, me thinks???!!!

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

Jeff and his superlatives are tiresome. AMAZING adventure. AMAZING, INCREDIBLE epiphany. AMAZING transformation. Apparently he's sticking with the co-host idea for the first half of the show. Lisa Whelchel is awful, Yvette Nicole Brown is annoying. One doesn't say much, the other can't shut the hell up.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 6:05 PM

I can't see this show lasting much longer. It's basically on life support. Jeff is a great host on Survivor but as a talk show host not so much.