Breaking Amish

• Please log in to reply

754 replies to this topic

silverspoons

silverspoons

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 3:25 AM

I thought this season might be a bit better until I saw the previews with Abe's brother showing up walking around nude. Why? Doesn't TLC know we would rather see a group of young people struggling with real issues, pregnancy, divorce, possible homosexuality, and dreams of careers then drunken fights and crazy nude men?

msladybird

msladybird

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 8:20 PM

Despite my complete cynicism about any "reality show" on TLC being real, I have to say I could get invested in this lot. They seem more clued up and generally going to LA for a reason. Just not so obviously fake. Maybe TLC have learnt a lesson from S1?

Sewing machine guy is unlucky this isn't being aired on Lifetime, otherwise he'd be in Project Runway before he could thread a bobbin. I presume the "lustful feelings" and "stuff which got me into trouble and is too personal to discuss" is related to him being gay? My gaydar was screaming loud and clear during his introduction.

I hope he meets a great bloke in LA and finds love and happiness. Am I right in thinking that the Amish, like a lot of these strict sects think it can be cured? I wonder how many deeply unhappy Amish are having to deny their preferences and endure prayer etc to heal him? *eyeroll*

I liked most of them but it's very early days and after a couple of episodes more, I shall probably snarking about all of them.

UGH The thought of Abe's brother being a part of the cast is depressing. It leads to the possibility that Abe and Rebecca will come a-visiting. And I would be so happy if I never saw or heard about those two again.

Was Iva the girl who Ladies' man Jeremiah #sarcasm dumped on the very first episode? Why when she could have had a nice boy like the one she has now, would she go out with Jeremiah? He totally makes me shudder. Horrible, horrible loud mouthed douche.

SummerRose

SummerRose

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 10:59 AM

So Mr. Sewing Guy's "lust issues" were code for, "My family found issues of my male underwear model catalog", right? I laughed my ass off when he said that he's yet to have sex or even kiss a girl...I'm like, "No freakin' kidding." The minute the guy's mouth opened, pearls dropped out.

LOL! Yeah...my thoughts too. Also did I hear him say that he wasn't ready to "give up the single life"? I was like dude...you're a 26-year-old virgin living in your parents home and sharing a room with your (presumably virgin, 20-something) little brother. You don't have a single life!

Edited by SummerRose, Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:00 AM.

PrincessBubble

PrincessBubble

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

Are we supposed to believe the pregnant gal is a current practicing Amish with those plucked eyebrows and makeup?  Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that was a no-no.

Not to mention, photographer girl packed her stuff in a 31 Weekender bag.   Where exactly did she get that?   I can buy that she saved up to purchase a camera after becoming fixated on photography as a child, but that bag was $75 plus shipping.  Why would she have that?  And where would she have attended a party?

Most of the houses had light switches.   They all appeared to have phones.   Baker girl had store bought butter.  Photographer girl used a battery operated candle when writing her note to her husband.   If any of these people are truly Amish, they're not very strict.

But yes, it appeared sewing guy's parents sent him to a "de-gaying" camp type deal, although it was never outright explained.

Fairyinterested

Fairyinterested

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 7:05 PM

I do like that they do try to explain their religion and values,  unlike Kody the douche from Sisterwives.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 7:44 PM

Most of the houses had light switches.   They all appeared to have phones.   Baker girl had store bought butter.  Photographer girl used a battery operated candle when writing her note to her husband.   If any of these people are truly Amish, they're not very strict.

I can't speak for all Amish, but I used to work in a town with a large Amish community in Ohio. According to Wiki, it has the 4th largest Amish population in the world. I was a manager at a Walmart type store (the chain is now defunct). I left that company and working in that town in Dec 2001 when they declared bankruptcy, but let me tell you, our Amish customers LOVED anything they could manage to hook up to a battery, cameras, and store bought stuff. And these were Old Order, German speaking, referring to us as Yankees, shunning of others, Amish. There wasn't a lot of electricity going on in their homes, but it was 10+ years ago, so that's probably changed some. But the Amish young men could figure out how to change the wiring in all sorts of stuff to get it to run off of those big batteries that are the size of a brick. My favorite was when they would rig up a CD player in their buggies.

Even then, they were very aware of modern conveniences and sought them out. We sold an insane amount of disposable cameras and had a large amount of film going in and out every day to be developed. We always joked they had just discovered cameras, pets, and candy. They were starting to have pets for pleasure, not just working animals, so lots of pet toys and treats being bought, and we sold so much candy it was like Halloween every day of the year in our candy department. Oh, and greeting cards too. We were the smallest store in the chain, but were the top in sales. Granted, it wasn't just the Amish shopping and there wasn't a Walmart or other similar type of store in 30+ miles in any direction. But the woman in particular were seeking modern things. Especially if it made their lives easier. They would still make their own dresses, but they were buying plain shirts and jeans for the men, but they would sometimes take the buttons off and sew the button holes closed. We rarely saw buttons, it was straight pins for the most part. Plain white under garments for the whole family. Our plaza had us, a Dominos, a Chinese restaurant, and a grocery store. There were hitching posts for the buggies at each end of the parking lot. We would see the women shop at our store, put their bags in the buggy, and then walk to the other end of the plaza to go to the grocery store. No on would touch their stuff. It wasn't rare to see a pile of grocery bags in our little lobby area while someone was shopping for a few things. Even 10 years ago, the girls in particular were very, very modern when they weren't around their family. Friday nights were like young people's night out, and the girls would walk into town with a giant purse, come in Amish, go change in the restroom, and walk out Yankee. They would hang out playing video games, using the pay phone, go have pizza or chinese, and then change back into Amish dress before we closed. Oh, and the girls were MASTER shoplifters, stealing costume jewelry, makeup, and color/lacy bras and skimpy underwear. 

I never saw the previous season, I might have watched 1 episode, maybe, but I just watched the first of this season. It doesn't surprise me the girls are plucked within an inch of their lives and wearing makeup on camera. Especially since they aren't in front of their parents. Listening to them talk cracked me up. The girls didn't have much of an accent, but the guys did. You would assume the Amish would be a very patriarchal society, and maybe they are, but the men were always VERY awkward in dealing with Yankees. It was rare we would see Amish men in the store alone and even when they were shopping together, it was always the women paying and interacting with us. One of the very few times the men came into the store without a wife was on Sept. 11. During that time, all the Amish, even the men, were coming into the store to try to watch the news coverage in our super crappy electronics department. 

PrincessBubble

PrincessBubble

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

Honestly though, none of that explains stuff like light switches and individual phones.   I didn't watch any season before this, but everything about this episode and the previews for upcoming episodes made it appear that it's all scripted and cast.  Possibly casting formerly Amish people, but not filmed in actual Amish homes.

I totally forgive Amish for wanting to see Sept 11th coverage.

nanasez

nanasez

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 9:44 PM

First episode I've seen of this show, and I agree with those who think something's off with these "Amish."  Some of the language - "cool," "freaking out" - and knowing terminology like "shots" and "doing shots"...I thought that the Amish were a lot more sheltered than that.  How does someone not know what a dishwasher is, but know about microwaves and "doing shots"?  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

lanorigb

lanorigb

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

Lizzie's secret is pretty obvious to me.  She has a pregnant woman's waddle and I can see her bump from the side. Her brother gives me a serial killer vibe.

Edited by lanorigb, Jul 28, 2013 @ 10:03 PM.

Lila78

Lila78

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 10:23 PM

I started a little late into the episode. Regarding Lizzie's pregnancy- was she married, did she have a boyfriend? I'm intrigued because this is incredibly scandalous, no?

I agree, her brother really creeps me out. For a minute there, I had a very squicky feeling about the two of them.

PrincessBubble

PrincessBubble

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 12:22 AM

They never told, at least in the first episode, how Lizzie's pregnancy came to be.   She's not married, but we don't know if she has a regular boyfriend, a one night stand, was raped, etc.    I haven't seen tonight's episode yet though, I have to tape it.

Her pregnancy was beyond obvious before she left for LA.   There's no way she was hiding that from anyone, especially her brother she claims she's so close to.   She and her brother both creep me out, there's no emotion in their voice, and they're dead behind the eyes.   Her brother is somewhat creepier.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 1:04 AM

Lizzie and her brother definitely are "off".

I thought it was interesting that Iva thought Wannabe Photographer looked unwell and "off", which was kind of true.

Iva and the two guys seem fairly normal, though.

dad2two

dad2two

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 4:49 AM

Lizzie said the father was someone she worked with in the English world.

boilergal

boilergal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:39 AM

Lizzie said the father was someone she worked with in the English world.

Did she?  I could have sworn she said the father was an Amish guy (from a different community) that she met working at an Amish farmers' market.  I don't think Iva would feel sure she knew him if it was an English guy.

I randomly caught last week's ep so I decided to give this show a go.  It's interesting but clearly a ton of it is faked.  I was struck that the married woman used the word "friggin'".  Doesn't really add up that they would be so totally unfamiliar with the outside world (what's a dishwasher?) but yet VERY familiar with a lot of the artifacts/language of the culture.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:56 AM

Since the original turned out to be so fake, I am totally on my guard w/ this group. I'm now fully aware that these probably aren't really their first encounters w/ English things. But I really did believe Devon at the airport. I felt really bad for him, he seemed so clueless.

But....Iva....with the Crisco. Honey, you can get lard in  California. Calm down.

And speaking of REALLY contrived - here comes Samuel ("mush mouth") to rescue his sister! Dun-dun-dun! Intrigue! Drama! Running from the farm in the middle of the night! Shouting about having the devil inside you!

Seriously....am I supposed to believe this?

Also, she is SEVEN months pregnant??? I was not expecting that. I would have figured she was like 3-4 months. How did she get the okay to fly out there? And how long is filming? She will be considerably closer to her due date when she has to fly back. I know many women can and do get approval to fly in their 3rd trimester, but usually it's for a very important reason - not filming a reality show.

I also find it hard to believe that none of her family knows about this. They're not going to think it weird that you suddenly start covering yourself w/ a sweater all the time?

And then we have Matt....he's a real piece of work w/ his rules, isn't he? I mean, if you think the Mennonite/Amish rules are so perfect, why did you leave? I thought the entire point of this process was to get away from all that and do things your way. I noticed a lot of his rules are about sex (be celibate, no bringing people back) - I really think he's gay and either in denial himself, or at least not wanting to admit it to everyone else. It's like he thinks his "secret" will come out of they start mingling too much w/ English guys and girls - like it might be obvious he's not into the girls, or he might have a hard time not lusting after guys. I don't know, he just seems to have that puritanical air of someone who's "protesting too much".

Did she?  I could have sworn she said the father was an Amish guy (from a different community) that she met working at an Amish farmers' market.  I don't think Iva would feel sure she knew him if it was an English guy.

I didn't hear her say where her place of work was (English or Amish), but yea - I assumed it was an Amish guy since Iva seemed to think she might know him.

First episode I've seen of this show, and I agree with those who think something's off with these "Amish."  Some of the language - "cool," "freaking out" - and knowing terminology like "shots" and "doing shots"...I thought that the Amish were a lot more sheltered than that.  How does someone not know what a dishwasher is, but know about microwaves and "doing shots"?  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think it's quite likely they're faking a lot of it, but the "shots" thing doesn't stand out. I thought someone on one of these shows said that Amish kids are often going out to bars in their area.

Edited by ghoulina, Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:53 AM.

PrincessBubble

PrincessBubble

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

Also, she is SEVEN months pregnant??? I was not expecting that. I would have figured she was like 3-4 months. How did she get the okay to fly out there?

I flew at seven months pregnant with all my kids.   It was about the cut off, but it was okay.   I just took a note from my doctor, but no one at the airlines ended up asking.   Now getting back, that's another story.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

I flew at seven months pregnant with all my kids.   It was about the cut off, but it was okay.   I just took a note from my doctor, but no one at the airlines ended up asking.   Now getting back, that's another story.

Yea, that was more of my concern....how is she going to get back, since she'll be quite a bit further along at that point. I almost wonder if she isn't going to have the baby out there for a good story.

ljohnson2006

ljohnson2006

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

I bet Lizzie has the baby in LA. I wonder when Abe's brother is going to join the circus. 

PrincessBubble

PrincessBubble

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 2:27 PM

Yeah  my guess would be they always planned for her to have the baby in LA. 

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 4:34 PM

Isn't she worried about, you know, money to feed and clothe the baby?  Hospital bills?  She just kinda took off and wandered into LA.  With a baby due any time now.  Or in 2 months if she goes full term.

And when was this filmed?  Shouldn't she have had the baby now?

They were all trying their best acting chops last night. I know Iva had a Facebook page for a while. 

Samuel is just ugly.  He's hideous.  And gouhlina, mush mouth! 

I totally can't wait to go clubbing soon.  I never go, but I'm going to start.  Now that Jeremiah is recording a hit single!

So Mr. Sewing Guy's "lust issues" were code for, "My family found issues of my male underwear model catalog", right? I laughed my ass off when he said that he's yet to have sex or even kiss a girl...I'm like, "No freakin' kidding." The minute the guy's mouth opened, pearls dropped out.

LOL! Yeah...my thoughts too. Also did I hear him say that he wasn't ready to "give up the single life"? I was like dude...you're a 26-year-old virgin living in your parents home and sharing a room with your (presumably virgin, 20-something) little brother. You don't have a single life!

That was 2 different guys.  I think the sewing guy (Mennonite) lives alone.  Samuel, Lizzie's brother (who just suddenly became part of the cast that easy) is 26 and shares a room with his brother.  He was the one wearing the wild and crazy red 1 piece long johns.  That thinks that might excite a woman?  I think we know why he's a virgin!

Edited by ShaNaeNae, Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:19 PM.

PrincessBubble

PrincessBubble

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 5:21 PM

Samuel did say the quote about not giving up his single life, though.  So it's not two different guys.   I've decided to name Samuel SKAG, for Serial Killer Amish Guy.   He and Lizzie are TERRIBLE actors, they needed to cast those parts with much more care.  

And it is utterly ridiculous that they're trying to pull this off as no one knowing Lizzie's pregnant.   Even if they'd never said it, I could tell within a few minutes of the season opener, much less watching her walk around LA.   Really, when getting up from the table at the bar, her belly didn't bump anyone on her way out?  She basically crawled across laps.   And she cradles her belly all the time, too.  

I thought it was funny that Matt's rules included "no overnight guests of the opposite sex."  Guess he covered his bases in meeting a new guy there.

And Betsy has a serious 31 Bags collection.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:20 PM

Samuel did say the quote about not giving up his single life, though.  So it's not two different guys. 

Yes, he did.  I fixed my post.  It was in regards to another post that was talking about the sewing machine guy. 

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

I thought it was funny that Matt's rules included "no overnight guests of the opposite sex."  Guess he covered his bases in meeting a new guy there.

The thing is, Matt isn't a bad-looking guy. With some better clothes, a better hairstyle, and some dental work, he'd be more than able to meet a cute guy. It'd be great to see him come out on the show.

Edited by MethodActor05, Jul 30, 2013 @ 12:02 AM.

PrincessBubble

PrincessBubble

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

I agree.   Although his personality leaves a lot to be desired.  I initially thought he'd be my favorite, but he turned into Judgy McJudgerson.

woodscommaelle

woodscommaelle

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

Samuel creeps me the fuck out.  I've never had that reaction to anyone ever.  And also, he looks like an Amish John Cusack....whatever that means.  And Matt reminds me of a Mennonite John Krazynski (sp)/Jim on The Office).  I feel like he has a touch of Aspergers.

contessakitty

contessakitty

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

I really wanted to like Matt but he's so holier than thou to the extreme, he's such a douche canoe. A clueless douche canoe who can't control himself whether he's talking or drinking. And based on what the girls said about Matt talking constantly and Amish men don't talk a lot, that means "men who talk a lot" and "men who sew" is code for gay? Or does it mean they don't think he's a man. I know he's Mennonite but I don't think that's what they meant.

Sabrina is Mennonite too but not once did she make a big deal about the fact that she didn't speak Dutch like Matt did.

Lizzie worked at the Amish Farmers Market in Maryland and that's where she met her English boyfriend. I wonder if it's the one near where used to live in Burtonsville, MD.

dorkchop

dorkchop

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 2, 2013 @ 7:21 PM

I was catching up on my DVR'd stuff which included celebrity Wife Swap.  I'm watching the one with Downtown Julie Brown and Lisa Leslie.  The first thing I noticed was that Julie's house is the house Breaking Amish L.A. cast is staying in.  They even did some of the same exterior shots on both shows.  How long was Breaking Amish filmed and where did Julie & her husband stay? Or is this not really Julie's house and she was just using it for Wife Swap to make them look well-off or something?  I can't find anything online about it so naturally, I came here to see if anyone else noticed this ;)

*edited because I mixed up the names

Edited by dorkchop, Aug 2, 2013 @ 7:26 PM.

PrincessBubble

PrincessBubble

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2013 @ 12:46 AM

Okay now that's funny. 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=v5kyoZAOgxQ

Yup, same house.   Even the same "I don't want to walk on the glass floor" moment.

Edited by PrincessBubble, Aug 3, 2013 @ 12:51 AM.

greekmama

greekmama

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 4, 2013 @ 11:53 AM

Did they explain the relationship between Iva and Jeramiah? Or are we suppose to pretend that she never knew him? (I am surprised she has not said something along the lines - my boyfriend went English... on this show as well.. etc)

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2013 @ 8:04 AM

ZOLTAR!!!! I was expecting them all to wake up the next morning in the bodies of 8 year-olds.

Matt is so puritanical. Any time girls are mentioned he bristles. Dude is definitely hiding something.

So....Betsy is controlled by demons? Welcome to Paranormal Activity 5: the Amish version.

Someone please get Andy off my screen. I hate him. Play all the "badass" music you want, he is just a loser. And the producers so obviously set this house up w/ not enough beds. Lame.

Best moment? Shirtless Devon on the beach!