Breaking Amish

• Please log in to reply

754 replies to this topic

ljohnson2006

ljohnson2006

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 6:46 PM

Breaking Amish LA is coming. TLC is showing promos for it.

JeanieCat

JeanieCat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 7:18 PM

Modelling is not a long term job for most people. There are exceptions, but Kate is probably in for a rude awakening! Also, she will have major problems hooking up with a non Amish husband. She may look English, but I still think it's a pretty lonely existence for Kate! Sabrina is a huge mess. I think there's a lot to be said for teaching your adopted children about their birth culture. It may have more impact on their futures than parents think.

SmhJess

SmhJess

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

Jeremiah is selling t shirts with his "do your frickin homework slogan." Since he wore a hat with that this season on the show I wonder if TLC is getting a cut. It looks low budget to me so maybe they don't care.

andcoletar

andcoletar

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 9:51 PM

Poor, poor baby. Don't they already have 1 kid to screw up?? Why must they inflict their crazy on a second one. And I noticed that Abe referred to Rebecca's kid as "our daughter" again. I guess it's common knowledge now

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 7:28 AM

Did Abe dye his hair? It looked darker....and so greasy. Why are these people always greasy???

So he and Reeeebecca are pregnant. Hopefully they have jobs and aren't going to continue to do TV to pay for their expenses.

Rebecca is one bitter broad. She straight up told Kate she was jealous of her, and now she's not? Then what is her problem?

We did hear her say "assessment". That's probably the biggest word she has ever said in her life.

I am curious to hear Jeremiah's entire story. Someone get the dude drunk and get it out of him.

Best part of the episode? Getting to relive Kim's - "do I have a disease? Hell no! I got treated!". Bahahahaha, that will NEVER get old!

Edited by ghoulina, Jul 8, 2013 @ 7:29 AM.

AgingGoth

AgingGoth

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 8:20 AM

as it refers to a dog in heat.

Actually it is the french word for female dog.  Most Europeans refer to their female canines as bitches.

grey2

grey2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 10:32 AM

Thanks everyone for a very instructive thread.  I caught a series of episodes yesterday that had me shaking my head in confusion.  My goodness, what an unpleasant group of people!

I did quite like Kate and Mary, but the rest . . . yikes!

as it refers to a dog in heat.

Actually it is the french word for female dog.  Most Europeans refer to their female canines as bitches.

Sorry, but the linguist in me can't let this past.  The correct English word for a female dog is "bitch,"  whether or not she is in heat and on either side of the Atlantic.  It is commonly used in dog-breeding circles.  The term "Bitch" can also be used to refer to any woman you don't like, although it is definitely in the process of being reclaimed.

Most Europeans do not  refer to their female dogs as bitches when not speaking English.  They would use their own language.  Examples:  French "chienne,"  Spanish "perra," Dutch "teefje" and so on.

Edited by grey2, Jul 8, 2013 @ 10:34 AM.

ljohnson2006

ljohnson2006

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 1:40 PM

Was it ever confirmed, or just speculation that Abe is the father of Rebecca's baby?  I thought that the announcement was going to be that she and his brother really did sleep together.  Rebecca and Abe seem unhappy. Are they going to be like the Duggars, and think that TLC will eventually give them their own reality show, because they're so interesting to watch. The special was okay. 

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 2:02 PM

I saw parts of it, and missed parts.  I DVR'ed it, so I'll catch it tonight or tomorrow.  So that big secret is she's actually pregnant?   She was straight up lying when she was said the baby was down there in Florida with them the whole time, just "off camera".  They just happen to miss filming her strapped into a car seat in the RV.  And missed her toddling around when the gang was always screaming and cussing at eachother. And her in a stroller down in Miami clubbing.  

Surprised to see Kym, thought she actually looked pretty.  And Sabrina looks way way way better with all brown hair.

ETA: ljohnson2006, it's still has never been confirmed that Abe is the father.  They just kind of say "our" baby and his brother kind of says "his" niece and we're all supposed to just drop it and "leave the baby out of it".  Whatever.

Edited by ShaNaeNae, Jul 8, 2013 @ 2:05 PM.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

She was straight up lying when she was said the baby was down there in Florida with them the whole time, just "off camera".  They just happen to miss filming her strapped into a car seat in the RV.  And missed her toddling around when the gang was always screaming and cussing at eachother. And her in a stroller down in Miami clubbing.

Well, I thought she meant that they didn't give the crew permission to film the baby at all. I could see that happening - since more "reality" TV these days isn't constant following people around, but setting up arranged times to film. However, I would like to know WHO was watching this baby while all those said events were occurring.

Surprised to see Kym, thought she actually looked pretty.  And Sabrina looks way way way better with all brown hair.

Sabrina DOES look so much better w/ dark hair. But it's obviously quite fried from all the bleaching. She needs to leave it alone for a bit.

Stoofy T

Stoofy T

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 12:25 PM

Has Jeremiah ever said (publicly) at what age he was adopted? Starting to wonder if that was a disciplinary thing (sort of a boot camp) because he was a really bad kid.

Fairyinterested

Fairyinterested

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 3:26 PM

I caught a few tells in the Sunday replay. Mary made a comment about she was afraid Katie Ann would just be a built in baby sitter. Gotta love that music when they get to Mary. 

Al was amazed Sabrina's feet were clean while Kate's where grubby as hell.

Who is the Host? She looks familiar but I couldn't place her.  

mende

mende

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 11:46 AM

Best part of the episode? Getting to relive Kim's - "do I have a disease? Hell no! I got treated!". Bahahahaha, that will NEVER get old!

yes!

I had a lot of thoughts on the reunion:

Michelle Beadle - she's awesome. I like how she doesn't lead their responses and just lets the stupid stuff they say hang there for maximum impact. She has to be taking vodka shots during the breaks.

Abe saying they didn't want the baby on camera so she wouldn't be around the drama but she was in Sarasota with them. er, ok.

Jeremiah saying MLK freed the slaves LOL  Abe and Jeremiah are tied for the two dumbest people on the show, the things they say make no sense. 

Did Katie Ann say two words on the show? Oh wait, she did "Yes" and "Yeah". Free Katie Ann!

Oh Rebecca...re-writing history about her attempt at modeling and claiming Kate gets defensive whenever anything is said to her. Methinks Rebecca is actually looking in a mirror when she thinks she's talking to Kate, except Kate is far prettier and has her shit together...Rebecca cries because she can think of no other way out of what she just said. Boo-hoo.

I like Kate, she sounds very level headed (could be in comparison to the others but whatev). Rebecca has to say she's also kissed a girl and it doesn't make her a lesbian. Who cares Rebecca? You can almost see the jealousy towards Kate coming off of Rebecca in waves.

Poor Mary, stuck in that life and Sabrina saying "I'll take care of you!" Meanwhile crickets emanate from Rebecca and Abe. I like Sabrina too, she seems to have a good soul, bless her little heart.

I think I enjoyed the reunion better than the actual show, can't wait for next week.

dorkchop

dorkchop

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

Also, a well fitted bra would do her wonders.

I agree.  A lot of Amish don't wear bras or any underwear at all.  It depends on the sect.  I live near where Jeremiah is from and they are Old Order Amish, very conservative and probably the sect most set in the "old" ways.  It's very uncomfortable being a female (English or Amish) around Amish men in the towns in that area, I've had men completely ignore me when I would go into a shop, even if I was the only person there and they were the only person there.  The only way to get them to serve me was to bring my husband or son in with me, they would talk to me through them.  I can only imagine how Amish women must feel.

As for Rebecca and her baby.  I could SWEAR she said that the baby was staying behind with relatives when they left for Florida.  When she was in their apartment packing, she was being interviewed from someone off camera and was asked something about the baby and she said they had "people they really trusted" to watch her and how hard it was going to be to be away from her.  I could be wrong, but I am almost certain a conversation like that happened.  So when she said the baby was with them but off camera, I was skeptical.  I'm actually skeptical that the baby even lives with them full time.  I'm betting her grandparents or other relatives have custody of the kid and that it just stays with them sometimes.  That's probably the real reason the child is never filmed or discussed because her family won't be on camera and probably won't allow the child on camera either.  I am very curious to know who the father is because I would be money it's not Abe.  It's probably some English guy.  Abe seems like the type who would take on a child that wasn't his biological child and raise it as his own, giant forehead and all.

I think Mary and Bertha Hofer need to be friends. Both of them with their cute round faces and sassy personalities. I could see them laughing a lot and making really good food and talking about what ***holes men are. Amish ride bikes in every sect & community I've visited. They ride scooters a lot too. Even the most strict of the sects have internet access, electricity, etc. at the places of business. I'm guessing a lot of them ride their horse and carriage to work, then shop on Amazon & watch YouTube videos while at work. I always feel sorry for the horses when I go to an Amish owned shop, they just stand outside all day tied to a post in all weather. I know they're animals but it still makes me feel bad.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

Dorkchop, now that you mention that I kind of remember her saying something like that before they left as well. And I've always speculated to myself that she didn't have custody of the baby. If she does, it's pretty crappy to go off all the time, leaving a little kid, to film your reality TV trashiness.

dorkchop

dorkchop

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 6:12 PM

>>LOL, yes, it is. But we decided to call her Mose, after Dwight's creepy cousin on The Office - becuase of the way she was always standing, creepily, in the background that first episode.<< Ha! And here I thought you were calling her that after Mose Gingrich from Amish Out Of Order because she talks in a monotone voice with no expression on her face!

BajeGirl

BajeGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 10:34 PM

Thank God Almighty, I'm free at last.  Hope to never have to see these idiots again and I'm most definitely not watching the LA version.  Abe always sound like an old man and/or a bit slow.  It's no wonder Rebecca is wearing the pants in that family.  Also? Jeremiah, please keep your stank out of Canada, we don't need your t-shirts or whatever other crap you are selling.  And please take a shower!

Mrs Joe

Mrs Joe

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 11:32 PM

Seriously? Andrew is going to be on the next season!? Good thing they aren't even going to try to pretend it's not staged and cast with a bunch of people who haven't been Amish for quite sometime.

I love how the discovery of Andrew's TLC contract made them cheer. "Woo Hoo - I hated you five minutes ago, but now that you'll be the only one I know with a source of income and provide me a chance to get paid appearances and get mentioned on TV, we're best buddies!!!"

And can Kate and whoever made over Andrew please help Abe. Neither Katie Ann or Andrew looked hot by any means, but looked good. Abe not so much. Which brings me back to the ridiculousness of Andrew going from his reunion show makeover back to Amish clothes...

*edited because the S4 thinks Amish is Amiss

Edited by Mrs Joe, Jul 14, 2013 @ 11:35 PM.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 7:42 AM

I have to say, if they DO have a 3rd season, bring back Kim! That trainwreck cracks me up! How can we miss out on more gems like "Two-liter Tiffany"? And her random story about being "drugged" when she filed false charges against Jeremiah? You have to really pay attention when she's on, because every other second there is some Maury-style revelation.

I also had to laugh at how Jeremiah's "work" now is selling his t-shirt line across America. Is that the "Do Your Friggin Homework" stuff? Because I can't see it selling THAT much. And Rebecca said something about selling cookbooks? What is she, the Amish Teresa Giudice?

andcoletar

andcoletar

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 10:49 PM

Ugh! I really do just want to punch Rebecca in the face! When did she appoint herself as the matriarch of Abe's family?? Last time I checked, shunned or not, Mary and her vodk still hold that title.

Who the hell does Rebecca think she is anyway? That whole scene (after they stormed off the stage like petulant 2-year olds and then came back) was just so ridiculous. Abe demanded his mother leave the stage to shield her from the drama. Oh, get over yourself. Then they hashed everything in like 2 minutes, including the fact that Andrew and Rebecca DID sleep together and have both been lying all along. But that's ok!! It's a new day!

Then Andrew announces he'll be on the show next season and all is forgiven. Hugs all around and Rebecca says "Good to have you back" like she's a proud parent welcoming the prodigal son back home. Just shut the hell up and have several seats, you condescending bitch. She really is just a terrible excuse for a person.

crimekate

crimekate

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

These people (with the exception of Kate) are so awful!  They are immature, ignorant, inarticulate, and stupid.  Poor Katie Ann, being related to those people.  Abe and Rebecca (not to mention Jeremiah and Sabrina) make even Mary seem sympathetic.  Kate is the only one, it seems, who is actually trying to "make it" in the English world (she is taking classes, wants to go to college, and is modeling to earn some money - she seems to be the only one with a job and a plan.  I realize the TV show probably made a lot of this possible (I'm sure the publicity doesn't hurt when she goes on castings), but I really hope she leaves this mess behind and just gets on with her life.    I also think she's gorgeous (and I love the way she dresses!), but I wish she'd chill out on the makeup (the 10 pounds of eye makeup and false lashes she was sporting at the reunion were awful).

Abe goes on and on about how "you can't wipe your ass with less than a HS Diploma", but do we see him (or Rebecca) doing anything about getting a GED?   How is he going to organize educational services for kids leaving the Amish when he can barely read a street sign himself?   They skipped the whole business about earning or accomplishing anything and just jumped right into high self-esteem (i.e. "I LOVE my sucky attitude because it's ME!").  I get so tired of people who pull out "that's just the way I am" when "they way they are" is not an ok way to be.  And now another baby on the way.  Hey Abe:  Why not get a freakin' job?  Because right now all you are is a bitter, negative loser who expects everyone to respect you,  You need to do something to be worthy of respect.  I'm not saying people shouldn't be nice to everybody, regardless of their afflictions or accomplishments, but he seems to have an overly inflated sense of his own value.  Don't even get me started on his  7-year-old's fantasy of "I'm going to be a professional bull rider... even though I'm in my mid/late 20s, I have a slight build and have never been athletic, and don't know the first thing about it.". Puh-leeez.

I don't even know where to begin with Jeremiah and Sabrina.  Please, both of you, take your childishness and inarticulateness and your poor grammar and go away.  (Her silly bleached hair is the least of her crimes against humanity, in my opinion).  As for Jeremiah, much of my rant about Abe applies, in addition to my wish that he would STFU about the rights and responsibilities of  "Amish men" and this and that.  Jeremiah:  you left the Amish.  Stop with your neanderthal expectations about women and men and their relationships.  If you want a woman with no power to wait on you and do all the household chores, you can probably get that in the Amish community - although I suspect he wouldn't be welcome back given his long history of leaving... but I could be wrong about that.  I don't have a good understanding of the importance/weight of confession/ repentance /forgiveness in the Amish culture/religion.. and of course rules and customs seem to be very localized (differing between groups, bishops).

Thank you, TLC, for letting me enjoy (again) one of my favorite reality TV moments:  Kym's "hell no I don't have a disease any more!  I got treated!"

Awesome.  That one is up there with the RHONJ christening battle royale, in my opinion.

Stoofy T

Stoofy T

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 9:54 PM

Wait... is LA Iva the same Iva as Jeremiah's ex-somethingorother at the beginning of the first season?

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 5:38 PM

So Mr. Sewing Guy's "lust issues" were code for, "My family found issues of my male underwear model catalog", right? I laughed my ass off when he said that he's yet to have sex or even kiss a girl...I'm like, "No freakin' kidding." The minute the guy's mouth opened, pearls dropped out.

Iva seemed like the most fun of the bunch- I thought her Mennonite boyfriend was pretty cute(and so clearly headed towards getting dumped), and I loved that she had an actual skill. I laughed my ass off when it appeared that she had dated Jeremiah. Of course.

Pregant girl and her brother kind of bore me- she seems heavily, heavily on something. Photographer wife seemed pretty cool, though.

The Mennonite guy was decently cute, but kind of douchey.

Still, I'm excited for this bunch- they don't seem to be trying to go for the whole "these are innocent, unspoiled" children that these first season of the show went for. Still scripted, but I like that we're not going with B.S. like Rebecca never having been on a date before while actually being a mother.

Edited by MethodActor05, Jul 19, 2013 @ 5:42 PM.

LouieLouie

LouieLouie

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 12:44 AM

Are we supposed to believe the pregnant gal is a current practicing Amish with those plucked eyebrows and makeup?  Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that was a no-no.  

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 8:17 AM

Oh yes, MethodActor05, I definitely assumed the fabric dude was gay! Interesting that his family was English and chose to become Mennonite. I wonder if he was having "issues" early on and that's why they chose the Mennonite life?

I wonder if Betsy was forced to marry her husband and trying to flee him. Why would you just leave your spouse like that?

mende

mende

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:31 AM

Wait... is LA Iva the same Iva as Jeremiah's ex-somethingorother at the beginning of the first season?

Yes, she is.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 10:04 AM

I wonder if Betsy was forced to marry her husband and trying to flee him. Why would you just leave your spouse like that?

She said that she got married thinking you never fight, you always get along, I took that as she wanted to escape her home, so got married thinking they'd be BFF's and never have problems.

I don't know why, I like this cast more.  So many staged moments though.  And so many questions.

Why would you run off to a huge city you've never been to if you're pregnant and have nothing?  I thought they don't allow cameras of any kind on Amish grounds, which would mean even a documentary on Amish Living (according to Lizzie's brother).  Lizzie honey, please put the tweezers down.

Iva seems the most dramatic, but is definitely the prettiest.  Her boyfriend seemed cute too.  There's no way she was dating Jeremiah.

I like the one guy who was kind of funny.  Can't remember names.  The one that talked about stalking Amish girls in his photo album of listings.

Lizzie's brother cracked my shit up with those "flashy" red pajamas, his hair cut and nose.  I forgot to see if his pj's were the kind that the butt snaps open.

I say go Mennonite guy with your sewing machine.  He's the only one with a serious dream.  They all kept saying, "I want to go to pursue my dream".  Well, what is it?

Edited by ShaNaeNae, Jul 22, 2013 @ 10:05 AM.

mende

mende

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 11:54 AM

I'm liking this group more too. They don't seem to be as totally clueless about the english world, or at least they're not "acting" as clueless as the last group. What is Matthew's secret and why were his parent's so on his butt about his lying? I swear I thought I saw toys in Betsy's closet when she was packing, is she hiding a baby and leaving it behind like Rebecca did? 

Last season I kept asking myself why I was still watching, this group just already seems a little more together than the others.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 1:58 PM

I like the one guy who was kind of funny.  Can't remember names.  The one that talked about stalking Amish girls in his photo album of listings.

Was that Devon? The kid racing horses, like a modern day Chariots of Fire? I thought he was funny and kind of cute.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 6:35 PM

I say go Mennonite guy with your sewing machine.  He's the only one with a serious dream.  They all kept saying, "I want to go to pursue my dream".  Well, what is it?

Iva wants to become a better baker with a wider arrange of skills, and one lady apparently wants to become a photographer. I'm not sure about Photographer lady, but Iva was seen baking with catering carts around her, so Iva does seem to have legitimate talent and experience with baking.

I do like that this season has multiple people with actual goals and skills, as opposed to last season being Kate the Model and nothing else. (Well, there was Jeremiah wanting to be a taxi driver, but nothing happened with that.)

Edited by MethodActor05, Jul 22, 2013 @ 6:36 PM.