Breaking Amish

• Please log in to reply

754 replies to this topic

shemaree

shemaree

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

It's really hard to believe anything the cast says. They randomly throw out these huge revelations like its no big deal ( I was married, I was divorced, I have a baby, I've driven a car before, I've worn English clothes before).

Breaking Amish is a great concept, but TLC executed this show terribly.

And those promos for Amish Mafia.....really?

Jimbob Snip It

Jimbob Snip It

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

Okay, I have only caught a brief glimpse of this show (previews and stuff) but I would not put it passed TLC to manufacture a complete farce of a show and then try and pass it off as real to viewers. So these people are not Amish at all? Are they all actors just looking for a buck? It seems that way from what I read online.

Bad move TLC. Actually, it's just one of many bad moves.

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

I think it's the opposite. If Abe was the father, I think he would just admit it. Because really, what's the point of lying? He's married to Rebecca right?

Abe is getting defensive because he's probably NOT the father. I also think he's super defensive about it because the father is probably someone they all know. With the weird twists and turns this show takes, I wouldn't be surprised if Abe's doofy brother was the father of Rebecca's baby lol.

I disagree. I think it is Abe's baby. Although they are married now, they weren't when they had the child. Just because they are out of the Amish community doesn't mean all of the Amish values have left them and having a baby out of wedlock is a HUGE value that I doubt Abe and Rebecca are willing to admit just yet. If you notice the "reveals" they have made on the show, they vaguely admit to having a past, but they don't go into detail. Rebecca admits to the baby, but won't give specifics of with who and when. Jeremiah and Sabrina admit to previous marriages, but don't really discuss who they were married to, where their kids are, and why the marriages failed. This show is notorious for the cast flippantly dropping major truths then never really explaining anything. They still haven't fessed up to the biggest (and least offensive) lie which is the wonder at seeing electronics. There's no reason to keep that lie either, but they have. So Abe keeping the lie that he isn't the baby's father isn't out of the ordinary for this show.

chants

chants

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Okay, I have only caught a brief glimpse of this show (previews and stuff) but I would not put it passed TLC to manufacture a complete farce of a show and then try and pass it off as real to viewers. So these people are not Amish at all? Are they all actors just looking for a buck? It seems that way from what I read online.

Bad move TLC. Actually, it's just one of many bad moves.

It's been confirmed that all the people were once Amish/Mennonite at one point. They all grew up in that community. However, none of them were "fresh off the farm" when this show started. They had all left the Amish/Mennonite at some point already and were living "English". That's where the deception comes in.

Jeremiah - previously married and divorced from a non-Amish (or formerly Amish) woman. Has 3 kids with ex-wife. Was arrested on some sort of domestic charges.
Abe - had previously left the Amish and was arrested on public intoxication charges in Kentucky. Had already dated Rebecca in the past.
Rebecca - was married in 2009 and moved to North or South Dakota. Was divorced in July 2012. Has a child with some unnamed person (probably Abe). Reportedly left her ex husband in 2010 to move in with Abe.
Sabrina - was also married and divorced.
Kate - DUI (although this was revealed on the first episode of the show). Also had a previous modeling contract as far back as 2010.

None of this was revealed (except Kate's DUI) until TLC was forced to weave it into the show since the internet had uncovered all of the truth. It was either TLC's plan all along, or their hand was forced (more likely).

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Fake sold very well to some people. I checked out before the end of episode one.

Fake always sells well, especially when it comes to reality tv, especially when it comes to shows on ad-supported cable. I mean how is this any different than one of the women on say teen mom pretending they are hurting for money when in reality they are pretty famous celebrities, or those dudes on auction hunters who just happen to come across these awesome storage units when they have the camera crews with them. Hell Pawn Stars is one of the top rated shows on cable. I read the pawn stars book that they put out awhile back and Rick the owner explained how the pawn business works. A ton of stuff that actually happens on the show couldn't legally happen in real life because of the way the business works. So really how is Breaking Amish any different?

Shugardrawers

Shugardrawers

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

I think it's the opposite. If Abe was the father, I think he would just admit it. Because really, what's the point of lying? He's married to Rebecca right?

I think it's the total opposite. He IS the father and therefor is denying it till kingdom come to save face on the show. Remember...they've never met supposedly...until they were caught. It's his kid.

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

This show was just so phoney. I almost never make that complaint about reality tv, but this one just bugged me. Maybe it's because I have cousins that grew up near an Amish settlement in the mid west and they have some pretty crazy/fascinating stories about partying with Amish kids going through Ramspring. A lot of it is the kids coming out partying, whatnot for a couple of weeks or months and then disappearing. But they also knew at least one girl who left the community and her transition was tough. She had about an 8th grade education and no idea what to do. I think she ended up getting involved in the rather large Mennonite community (it was a more liberal branch that what the show depicts) but it was very hard. I would have liked it if this show had been more realistic and less Amish meets Jersey Shore. It's a interesting subculture that us very misunderstood in a lot of ways.

Edited by fuzzybear, Nov 17, 2012 @ 12:41 AM.

misspinder

misspinder

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

I was a little late to the party at starting to watch this show. But by the time they got to the part where Jeremiah & Abe were sitting on the bed in the hotel and Jer asked Abe what he thought of the girls in New York and Abe said he thought some of them were "skanks" I then figured there was something fishy. If these were little bumpkin Amish kids picked up straight off the farm and plopped into the middle of NYC, how do they know all the latest "lingo" ???? They also seemed a tad coached to me and like they knew a lot more about the "English" then what they were letting on. Jeremiah and all his f-bombs got to be a bit much and all the rest of them (with the exception of Kate) seemed to pick up potty mouths pretty quickly.

Fast forward to the finale and I don't think between all of them they displayed enough brain power to lay straight in bed. Honestly, immature...... I think they've let there new found fame go to their heads and trying to conceal their past lives and being out of the Amish community for longer than the show let on was just too much. Epic fail with this show, TLC. I won't be watching Amish Mafia either. I'm sure its just as phoney-baloney as this hot mess :(

*edited for poor spelling*

Edited by misspinder, Nov 18, 2012 @ 4:17 PM.

goofygirl

goofygirl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

What a giant crock this show is. No thanks to any more Amish anything. Leave them alone.

cupFloweR

cupFloweR

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

So, I feel bad for them because TLC is trying to make it seem like they lied to TLC and tricked everyone. When in reality, there is no way TLC did not know the truth about these people. They dig deep to find everything out in order to make the show. And all these things about DUIs and not dressing Amish etc...well thats what happens in Amish communities especially during Rumspringa. A lot of kids go out and engage in reckless behavior, drugs, alcohol and more because they are going out into the world for the first time. and are exposed to these things for the first time. Just like how a lot of Freshmen in college who led sheltered lives all of a sudden go crazy and get drunk every night because they are finally away from home.

I think the biggest mistake TLC made was trying to hide these truths and not showing what it is truly like to be Amish. Just like the cast said, not all Amish people are holier than thou just like not any type of person is. There are good and bad in every community.

I did not watch the series (just a few episodes) because I felt it was exploitative to the Amish community and I knew they would portray it falsely.

Annoying. And did someone say there will be season 2? What? Why? How?

missy jo

missy jo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

Just saw the Reunion Part 2. The host was great and has the patience of a saint.

The cast behaved like they were doing TLC a major favor by deigning to appear. They came off like shifty losers and liars and in total denial of reality.

The agression from the guys ... well let's just say if they weren't on camera they looked like they would've taken a swing at the host. That damn English "skank," with her questions, how dare she?

Powrhug

Powrhug

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

I grew up in Kansas around both an Amish and Mennonite community, and honestly, the only folks I know who think that all young people of those faiths are like what you saw on Witness are people who've never been around them.

Yes, there are stereotypical wholesome, innocent members, but there are also a *lot* of members like those you saw on this show.

The f-word being thrown around? Totally not uncommon. Drinking? Yes. Partying? Yes. Driving? Yes. Promiscuity? Yes. I personally saw all of that when I was in high school, and that was the 80s! Girls would hide their "English" clothes in the barn or at homes of friends who weren't Mennonite and Amish. One guy drove an obnoxious muscle car and said things to me that were shockingly crude while we were at a party.

My point? None of those who were on the show were in any way uncommon...I would have been more surprised if they'd found participants who truly had never done drank/partied/cursed. This is a major major complaint in their communities that the Elders fight constantly.

Almost all kids from my area have Facebook, cell phones, watch tv, etc. So why wouldn't they know "English" slang? Hell, they probably even know who the Kardashians are. Again, this is something the Elders are fighting because they're losing population. Fewer and fewer kids are joining the church and staying in it.

And yes, there are others who were some of the most kind, gentle, wonderful neighbors we had. Several families I still consider friends (and yes, I have FB friends who are still in the faith).

Edited by Powrhug, Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:02 AM.

sagedog

sagedog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

In the first hour last week, the host seemed to be protective of them. In the last hour, she switched gears and was trying to protect TLC. we are not liars...everyone else in America are liars.

Still on the baby. Doesn't add up in any way. Rebecca had her natural teeth in that picture, yet she said it was so long ago when she had them pulled she couldn't remember.

Damage control failed for TLC. beaten by the Internet. As Jeremiah said, "Do your homework."

DB in London

DB in London

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

My point? None of those who were on the show were in any way uncommon...I would have been more surprised if they'd found participants who truly had never done drank/partied/cursed. This is a major major complaint in their communities that the Elders fight constantly.

That is actually what I did appreciate about the show. The "truth" stuff left a bad taste in my mouth because they were trying to make it seem as if these guys were "faking" being Amish. They clearly were not - most of them could speak Dutch with ease and had accents in English. They clearly did grow up in the community and did have insight into what it was be me Amish and Mennonite.

The host of the reunion show left a bad taste in my mouth as well because she was clearly sent in by TLC to be on the side of the viewer, when she was really just trying to deflect criticism from TLC and onto the group. There were just SO many issues with the show overall, but I did appreciate how they did "break" perceptions of the Amish that are so widely held.

Powrhug

Powrhug

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

There were just SO many issues with the show overall, but I did appreciate how they did "break" perceptions of the Amish that are so widely held.

Yes! My issue is with TLC (and in this regard I guess I side with the participants)....it would *not* have been hard to check out just how involved these kids were in their communities. You could go to my community and ask anyone (English or non) which of the kids go to parties, which are less "wordly" and almost everyone could give you names of kids who fell under each category. It's not hard!

So...was it the fault of the kids for taking advantage of the situation? I don't know...but I do know TLC should shoulder a lot of the blame. My main complaint about the kids is that they did act like all of this was new, when it wasn't. If they'd been as honest throughout the show as they were in the reunion show, it wouldn't have been a big deal.

RoRo

RoRo

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

Just saw the Reunion Part 2. The host was great and has the patience of a saint.

The cast behaved like they were doing TLC a major favor by deigning to appear. They came off like shifty losers and liars and in total denial of reality.

The agression from the guys ... well let's just say if they weren't on camera they looked like they would've taken a swing at the host. That damn English "skank," with her questions, how dare she?

I thought they were all incredibly rude on the reunion show, with comments like, "You watched the show, didn't you?" Ugh. Just answer the questions!

kitkat4

kitkat4

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

What a bunch of hostile, rude punks. Bottom line is that most of what they said was a bunch of BS. If you arent trying to hide anything, you do not act the way they did.

ConnieV

ConnieV

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:41 AM

I think the host invited the reactions she got to some of her questions. It really was not so much about some of the things she asked, but how she asked them. And how any times did she have to be told that Amish kids may actually sneak out and do things, like wear bikinis, they aren't supposed to do? A Baptist kid who sneaks out and drinks is still Baptist. Should be pretty simple to grasp.

mochilero

mochilero

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

I love the defense they gave to the accusation of being actors. "If we were actors, we'd be millionaires". Makes sense. All actors are millionaires, right? Huh?

Everyone in the reunion show came across as sociopathic.

kitkat4

kitkat4

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

The issue isn't that they did all those things, its that they went along with TLC and tried to portray themselves as sheltered innocents going out into the "Enlish" world for the very first time.

DB in London

DB in London

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 1:25 AM

So...was it the fault of the kids for taking advantage of the situation? I don't know...but I do know TLC should shoulder a lot of the blame. My main complaint about the kids is that they did act like all of this was new, when it wasn't. If they'd been as honest throughout the show as they were in the reunion show, it wouldn't have been a big deal.

We must also consider the fact that TLC edited 6 weeks (?) worth of film into about 8 hours worth of TV. TLC clearly wanted to advance a certain narrative here, and they could edit the footage anyway they wanted to produce that. I'm not saying that the participants are faultless, but I see TLC as FAR more culpable in this. What I particularly hated about the host (and yes, she was snide and rude, and I don't blame the other for lashing at her) was that she treated them as if they were guilty and had to explain themselves. What we REALLY needed was an hour of the TV exec who greenlighted this mess, and them to be held under the light. TLC did not have to air the show, after all.

onewally

onewally

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

I think the whole series has been as dull as sawdust and the participants, like someone said, couldnt put together enough smarts to lay straight in bed (I've never heard that one before).

I've known some Amish and I recognized some of their behavior tonight: if the Amish decide something isnt any of your business, they dont have any problem saying so. Some things were just plain strange-Rebecca had to know she got her teeth pulled well after the baby was born. That's just not something you have to think hard about to remember. I still remember the date, 28 years ago, that I got my wisdom teeth out, simply because of the misery factor. Cant imagine why she was so coy about when it happened.

TLC certainly didnt put together the most compelling, interesting cast-I think they did the best they could with what they were able to get.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

These people must have been in a cave all this time. It's really obvious that they didn't think that any of this would come out. And then they sat there and lied about the whole thing.
Why not just tell the truth. They're all way too defensive (except Kate).

Intuition

Intuition

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 5:05 AM

I haven't watched the entire final episode yet, only the part where Rebecca and Abe are refusing to discuss the paternity of the child. All I can say is how dumb must these kids be if they didn't think any of this was going to come out? And then questioning the public's right to have questions about their lives? You don't go on national TV and expect your private life to remain private, especially if it's suspicious and it's obvious that you've been misrepresenting yourself. That's one of the things people sacrifice for fame.

I blame TLC for convincing them to lie about their pasts for the show, but they were also dumb enough to agree to it. If they don't want to be seen as having just fallen off a turnip truck, they shouldn't act like they have. I hate to say it, but they got what they deserved. I'm sure the lure of money and fame was attractive to them, not knowing what it really would mean. But then to have a bad attitude about the associated sacrifices is just amazing to me. I can't imagine these kids are going to wake up to reality before it's completely totaled them.

Edited by Intuition, Nov 19, 2012 @ 5:07 AM.

farmer

farmer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 5:35 AM

The difference between the deception of Breaking Amish and the deception of some other reality shows like Pawn Stars or Teen Mom is that on Breaking Amish the entire premise of the show has proven to be false. The premise of Breaking Amish is that these five young people had spent their lives living in a sheltered Amish or Mennonite community and had never had contact with electronics, never driven a car, never seen the big city, never worn "English" clothes, etc. Going to New York was supposed to be their first exposure to anything outside their community.

This entire basic premise was proven false. They had marriages, divorces, and children. They had jobs and lived in states far away from their homes in PA and OH. They had been on the Internet, had driven cars, regularly worn English clothes.

On other reality shows, the basic premise is still true, even if details are embellished or recreated. The kids on Teen Mom really were teenage mothers. The Pawn Stars really do own a pawn shop. American Pickers really do go around and collect antiques.

Edited by farmer, Nov 19, 2012 @ 5:48 AM.

SmallTownMom

SmallTownMom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 6:37 AM

Watched the rest of the finale last night, and I have to say that with the exception of Kate, and maybe Sabrina, the rest were incredibly rude. Jeremiah with his "do your firgging homework" over and over - maybe if you had done YOURS, your wouldn't keep saying "supposably"! Moron. You say your kids are your #1 priority? Right, got it.

Rebecca, you are not anything special, and you deserve Abe. I give it a few months.

Abe, what a nasty little prick you've turned into. You REALLY need to broaden your vocabulary. Maybe you could learn to get through a sentence without needing to be bleeped. The show has made you a better person? You've turned into the most unlikeable person on a show that includes Jeremiah. That speaks volumes.

Ugh, no more, please.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

I'm surprised Jeremiah made it through the interview without falling asleep while clutching a bag of chips....losers eyes were sooooo red.

For such a bunch of complete idiots, they sure were adept at skirting around all the questions they were asked. I've never seen so much talking in circles in my life. Just answer the question!

Rebecca can't remember when she had her entire mouth of teeth pulled? Whatever.

I love how the theme was that the general public is "jealous" of them and they are out to "destroy" them? And especially to "ruin" some faceless bastard child? Who? Why? For what purpose? No one is going to remember your name in a week. Get over yourself (Rebecca, I'm especially looking at you).

rustybones

rustybones

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

And we are supposed to believe that they paid their own way in NYC? Bullcrap! They stayed in a nice hotel for six weeks! There would have been no crime in saying TLC paid for everything while they were filming.

Why would Jeremiah have learned to drive and been hired as a taxi driver if he wasn't going to live in NYC?

Same for Abe...why, of any job possibilities in NYC, would he have thought of a stunt man?

I loved the fact they set up all those wedding tables, and yet saw no guests.

I thought Sister Wives was bad enough but this one takes the cake.

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

"ruin" some faceless bastard child

I don't care if I go to hell--that was hilarious.

The whole interview could have taken place in a lock-down facility. Lots of lies, lots of cursing, lots of attitude. Nothing is as fun as watching losers explain away their failings. Or parading their sorry butts in front of the viewing public then acting as if their lives are oh so very private.

I think the reason Jeremiah, Abe & Rebecca won't go back to Amish country is because they know a whole lot of Yoders are ready to drop the pacifist crap and beat their lying asses behind the cow barn. ("i'll give thee jealous, biotches!")

Run far from these nitwits, Kate, since you're the only one in my opinion, with brains, personality and a future. (But no more DUI'ing. You're too smart for that).

Oh & the wedding reminded me of a line from MASH:"They sure invited a lot of empty chairs."

Edited by TedHinD, Nov 19, 2012 @ 10:27 AM.

sagedog

sagedog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

And could you believe what Abe said to Rebecca under his breath about the host? What kind of person says something like that on a television show? Wait, don't tell me. An idiot.