Katie: Daytime's Perkiest Host

• Please log in to reply

128 replies to this topic

Bossa Nova

Bossa Nova

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

I cannot bare to try and watch another new talk show. Ever. If I see another set with a comfy couch, coffee table, soft lights, and ferns on my TV, it will be too soon.

The format is done. Toast. Bah-bye.

The only remotely refreshing new spin on this tired format is Watch What Happens Live over on Bravo. Maybe because it's only one half hour long, and the show doesn't take itself too seriously. It makes fun of the guests and itself and the host. It's not trying imitate some hybrid of Edward R. Murrow meets Oprah meets Johnny Carson.

Oh and when Kramer found the old Merv Griffin Show furniture in the dumpster and set it up in his apartment to play talk show and interviewed Jerry, George, Elaine, and the guy from Wild Kingdom.

Now that was refreshingly different.

Edited by Bossa Nova, Sep 13, 2012 @ 2:56 PM.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

I cannot bare to try and watch another new talk show. Ever. If I see another set with a comfy couch, coffee table, soft lights, and ferns on my TV, it will be too soon.

The format is done. Toast. Bah-bye.

Co-sign.

Really, what can Katie do that hasn't been done a hundred times over.

Comfy chairs? Check. Mood lighting? Check. Audience questions? Check.

It's just the same ol', same ol'.

And Heidi, honey, I think you are the most gorgeous woman ever, but if you are not willing to spill the beans then stay the fuck home.

This ridiculous social networking tie-in bullshit has got to stop. If I really wanted to hear what every asshat in America thought I would actually follow Twitter/Facebook. Instead, I choose to read what intelligent people think, which is why I come to TWoP.

Placard

Placard

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

Had looked forward to this show but couldn't be more disappointed that it is so boring. Even the parts that could be exciting, i.e., the specially equiped van given to one guest were tepid at best. And Jessica Simpson for the first interview (or any interview)? I'm out. No more.

Vinyasa

Vinyasa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

This ridiculous social networking tie-in bullshit has got to stop. If I really wanted to hear what every asshat in America thought I would actually follow Twitter/Facebook. Instead, I choose to read what intelligent people think, which is why I come to TWoP.

Exactly right!

I'm already done! It hasn't got any better since the day 1 Weight Watchers infomercial. Now the start of the show has the guests from the previous days. I don't need to see them again.

Oprah never had blue cards, did she? Reminds me too much of The View.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

Was only an occasional Oprah viewer (when someone dvr'd it) but seem to remember her having cards kept off to the side. She didn't sit there holding them, going down the list of questions. She did, however, use a teleprompter with an extremely detailed script. Either she was more confident (after 25 years) or better prepared -

Saw a few minutes of this and agree with everyone - Boring, boring, boring ... ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz ... If I were around during the afternoon, this might help induce a daily, nice afternoon nap. I'm not and don't have that luxury so that's it for me.

JMHO.

Edited by gazerguy, Sep 13, 2012 @ 7:34 PM.

Donovan64

Donovan64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

I like Katie, so I wanted the show to do well. I've watched 1/2 of 2 shows this week and it is a snoozer. I'm not even sure what could help it other than pressing the remote to off.

snorca

snorca

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

and the gum-showing grinning makes me wanna puke.

Gotta represent here. I am a "gum-showing grinner" and I cannot help it. It's just the way my mouth, teeth, gums work it out when I smile. The more happy, elated, excited I am, the more gum. Don't mean to induce vomiting - it's just the way it is. Adn topic? Boring indeed!

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

I don't really notice Katie's gummy smile. I have seen much worse. If she was uncomfortable with it, she probably would have had it fixed. I understand that a shot of botox or collagen fillers can plump up the area causing more tissue to hide the exposed gums.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

I like Katie & gave her show a "fair shot", i.e. watched this week but couldn't make it through today's show with Jennifer Lopez, who I also like. Katie's approach is so cookie-cutter & the results are snooze-worthy.

I am, however, kind of liking Jeff Probst, even though I didn't want to.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

I caught some of the JLO interview. I think it was the entire show. I liked Katie asking her about her younger guy and Katie admitting to being a member of that club. Also enjoyed the fake out dance display and fooling JLO - well, at least I think she wasn't aware unless she is a good actress which we all know she ain't.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

Watched the show to see what Amanda Knox's ex-boyfriend had to say. The way Katie handled the interview was so terse & unsympathetic, I couldn't believe my ears. Here's this young man who doesn't have a firm grasp of the English language being barraged with questions & not given the opportunity to answer before she went on to the next one. I won't be watching her show again. I know, I know, I said that before, but I mean in now.

Blackie

Blackie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

It seemed to me that the interview was highly edited, Or maybe Katie was just baraging him with questions which was weird. The part where she had RP, PD, et al asking Katie questions was so boring and not funny it was kind of embarrassing.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

Here are next week's guests. Streisand is truly an Oprah-level "get" as she hardly ever appears on talk shows.

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 – 1011
Singer and actress Demi Lovato, who began her new role as a judge on “X Factor” the same week as Katie’s premiere, will discuss the emotional battle with anorexia and bulimia that nearly ruined her career. Later, Katie will tackle the broader issue of eating disorders and the growing trend in older women.

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25 – 1012
The incomparable Barbra Streisand will make a rare television appearance to discuss her passion -- women and heart disease -- as well as her return to Brooklyn for her first performance there in more than 50 years.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26 – 1013
She’s funny, fearless and fabulous, Hollywood “it” girl and “Modern Family” star Sofia Vergara talks about her the long road to her “overnight” success. Plus, is breastfeeding OK in class? American University professor and single mother Adrienne Pine joins Katie to discuss the controversy she accidentally created recently when she fed her sick toddler while teaching.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 27 – 1014
The most listened to woman on radio, Delilah consoles 8 million listeners a week with her spot-on advice and favorite "sappy love songs." In an exclusive interview, Katie gets to know the woman behind the microphone as Delilah shares her love of life despite the many hardships she has faced, including the loss of one of her 12 children this past year.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28 – 1015
Katie sits down with comedian, author and late night talk show host Chelsea Handler.

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

I've never seen this show and I really don't like Katie but my DVR is set to record today's eppy cause I adore Barbra. She's playing in Philadelphia on 10/8.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

I don't usually watch daytime television, but I tuned in to watch Katie because I wondered how she would do. What I got for my trouble was sheer boredom. Katie doesn't seem interested in Hollywood starlets and what they're doing. She's been high up at NBC and at CBS, and she's met her fair share of stars. The entire format seemed out of place for her. She even acted bored. She seems to me to be trying to find a place in television, and she hasn't found it yet. I think the only reason she's doing this show is to try to find something different that will make her happy. I can't imagine that this show will have much success. Of course, some people will watch anything. I only know that I won't be one of them.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I cannot stand her laugh. Now I'm remembering how many times she pissed me off on Today by going to that exaggerated, "Aren't I cute?" laugh (and she destroyed that special with the royal family by giggling all through that too).

I find the show really boring. REALLY boring. I'm watching only the guests that I think I'd be interested in, and damn if she doesn't make them boring too. What's next Katie? I think this one is a bust.

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

You can't polish a turd. Disney spent $80 million and canceled 2 beloved soaps for this shitfest!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

Were there any revelations during Katie's interview w/Barbra Streisand, or just an hour long ass kissing fest?

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

The first half hour was mostly Ms Streisand talking about her women's cardiac care initiative at Cedars Sinai, for which she has raised $20 million. One of the cardiologists was there and talked about how heart disease presents differently in women, how gender bias plays out in the diagnosis and treatment of cardiac issues, etc.

In the second half hour, Ms Streisand talked about her upcoming concerts, which will include a duet with her son Jason (she's apparently his only employer; she hired him as her son in Prince of Tides, too) and she will be performing in Brooklyn for the first time in 50 years. They also showed a clip of her upcoming film with Seth Rogin, The Guilt Trip. It looked funny.

The worst part: Katie wanted Ms Streisand to say "that famous line" from The Way We Were--"your girl is lovely, Hubbell"--but Ms Streisand didn't even know which line Katie was referencing (Katie had to whisper it in her ear). To her credit, Ms Streisand didn't play along and let Katie say the line herself, which is probably what she really wanted. And then Katie wanted Ms Streisand to brush her hair away in the same way she'd done to Robert Redford in that scene. It was kinda creepy.

Edited by tisha, Sep 26, 2012 @ 2:54 PM.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

I watched for the first time yesterday, because how often do we get to hear from Streisand? Katie was clearly starstruck, and yes, it was creepy when she asked Barbra to brush the fair off Katie's face, because Katie looked so thrilled.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

I'm finding most of her interviews unsatisfying. They seem kind of chopped up or something. She's had good guests but I never really see any new insights or find out anything new about them. For someone who's been doing tv interviews for years, it's odd. They seem very shallow.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

that exaggerated, "Aren't I cute?" laugh

This. And for some reason Katie loves to show her gums.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

" This I saw when Chelsea Handler told her that she would not age and always look so perky. Katie beamed like a little 6 year old girl and that is when her gummy smile was on full display for sure.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

Not usually around for afternoon programming but did see some of the Streisand interview, after-the-fact. Thought at the time it seemed extremely shallow and only touching the surface. Also wondered how many conditions BS placed on it. (Everytime I've seen her interviewed, she primarily shills her projects.) Believed she used the heart disease issue and the m.d. to partially run out the clock, too. Not saying that's not an important issue - it's extremely important, BTW.

Noticed on this thread that her premier was primarily a WW commercial. I get that the celebs usually only appear when they're promoting something but actually showing the commercial sounds like a bit much. Is it that tough for her to get guests?

Did have one other theory, watching the Streisand interview. What about the fact that her main experience interviewing consisted primarily of say, 5-6 minute segments? Could it be that's why Katie only scratches the surface? She had no time to dig any deeper during her many years on Today.

That hair touching routine - double yuch!

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

I taped the Streisand episode and the episode at Katie's house (because I wanted to see her place). I was happy for the information about women's heart health and it was nice to see Barbra Streisand. Unfortunately, the episode in Katie's house reminded me why I didn't like her on Today. (I also hate Donald Trump passionately, so my curiosity about what Katie's apartment looked like is the only reason I didn't delete the episode as soon as he walked off that bus.) I think I can honestly say I will not tune into her show again.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

Katie has a nice NY apartment. But that wallpaper in the bathroom was too busy!

MHCBadDude

MHCBadDude

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

This. And for some reason Katie loves to show her gums.

This I saw when Chelsea Handler told her that she would not age and always look so perky. Katie beamed like a little 6 year old girl and that is when her gummy smile was on full display for sure.

Some of us can't help it :)

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

I liked Katie's apartment... is that one she's been living in for a long time? I thought it would be .. grander for her salary. Maybe she kept the place her girls grew up in.

I think I would like her as a friend. And she seems like a really good mom. But I'm SO not feeling her on this show (or the news). I look to see the guests, and turn it off. So yesterday was a Kate Middleton look alike? Yeesh.

CarolMK

CarolMK

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

I didn't see it, but heard that Kate Gosselin was on the show. Why? Hasn't her show been off the air for a couple of years now? I hope Katie isn't hurting in the ratings, otherwise, why would she have on a D-list celebrity, if you can even call Kate Gosselin that?

maryis

maryis

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

I watched Katie's show for the first time today. It wasn't all that bad. I was able to stay on it until the end.

I did notice something during her conversation with Chris Matthews. He was talking about the presidential debate tonight.

During the interview, Matthews mentioned abortion rights. However, the word "abortion" was censored although you could read Chris's lips and the word he said was 'abortion.'

Anyone know why Katie's show would be censored like that? It's not unusual to hear the word abortion on television during the daytime hours and on all of the talk shows I've ever watched it wasn't censored for the viewing audience.

I found it strange considering that Katie has been in the business long enough to have a fan base who aren't shocked by the word abortion... a legal practice that somehow is an illegal word on her show.