The Mindy Project: Kelly Kapoor MD

• Please log in to reply

3724 replies to this topic

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

I didn't see this topic come up yet, but feel free to correct me!

THE MINDY PROJECT is a biting new single-camera comedy from Emmy Award-nominated writer/producer and New York Times best-selling author Mindy Kaling ("The Office") that follows a woman who, despite having a successful career, is unlucky in love and desperately needs to get her personal life back on track before her friends and colleagues are forced to stage an intervention.

Funny, impatient and politically incorrect, MINDY LAHIRI (Kaling) can quote every romantic comedy starring Meg Ryan that exists. She loves the good ones and the bad ones, because the girl always gets the guy. Mindy is determined to be more punctual, spend less money, lose weight and read more books - all in pursuit of becoming a well-rounded perfect woman...who can meet and date the perfect guy.

Hulu has the Pilot episode up as a 'preview' and its cute. I liked most of the characters, and I look forward to the second episode. It definitely works as a companion to The New Girl, IMO. I think there's a few things they can iron out, like the office secretaries who seemed strange. But every pilot has quirks, so I'm happy to see what comes next!

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

I thought it was pretty good. I assume they'll dial back Mindy's character a little as the show goes along. I'll tune in this fall.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

Sounds like Bridget Jones.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

Couldn't get past the wedding reception scene. Clicked out of hulu.com as Mindy's character made wholly inappropriate remarks over the microphone. Can only hope that was a fantasy scene, but I didn't feel like sticking around to find out.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

Not impressed. I can tolerate the Kelly Kapoor character in The Office, where her scenes are brief and to the point, but 23 minutes of Kapoor-lite is too much for me. I didn't find her at all endearing in this pilot, and the rest of the cast (except Anna Camp, but her character of the BFF-with-kids is bland) just left me cold, so...

Edited by Kaoteek, Aug 29, 2012 @ 5:37 PM.

BoogieBurns

BoogieBurns

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

I liked it. Mindy Kaling seems to view pop-culture the same way I do, so I relate. Seeing Ed Helms was jarring. The show will be just fine, although it is pretty similar to New Girl. Watching the pilot, it looks like Mindy got more attractive throughout the 23 minutes. Whoever styled her at the end should be the only one in charge. The timeline was also off. She gave that woman a couple hours to get insurance before having her baby? Weird editing I suppose.

By episode 5 I will stop being so easy on her. Right now, the show is fine. Good, even.

Nina

Nina

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

I thought the episode was boring and trite. I didn't really like any of the characters.

And, nope, the wedding scene wasn't a fantasy.

makesnosense

makesnosense

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Never really watched The Office, so kind of bewildered by Kaling's appeal based on this. Too frantic and in its own head....more offputting than funny.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

My reaction to it was similiar to New Girl and ZD. I'm too embarrassed for you to watch this. I turned it off when she got in the elevator. Yes, less than 5 minutes in. But eventually I was able to get past that with New Girl, so maybe this will be the same once it settles down.

MHCBadDude

MHCBadDude

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

I kind of liked it and than I didn't. I wasn't sure if the show was trying to be cliche or at the least, genuine. At the beginning it made it seem like it was going in the direction of trying to be like every generic rom-com, but than it kind of confused me.

I don't know. It seemed a little bit frenetic, and I think it tried to do too much for one episode. I mean I get it; she runs to a lot of places and takes off her shoes in the meantime. It is the pilot, so I'll cut it some slack. I will probably give it 4-5 episodes to see if it gets better. I want to like this show, but it came of as trying too hard to be quirky and funny.

Also, Mindy Kaling has a great body. Those tight, bondage dresses were not the look. They are terribly unflattering on her.

Edited by MHCBadDude, Aug 30, 2012 @ 11:49 AM.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

I got as far as the scene in the doctor's lounge with Asshole Male Doc and Accented Sex-Loving Doc (?) and had to quit. It just was so...dull.

Now, I loved the Bridget Jones flicks, and I think this is what Mindy Kaling was going for but it just didn't work here, IMO. To be fair, it is a pilot and many pilots suck, so maybe I'll check out episode 2 if there is nothing else I'd rather watch airing opposite it, otherwise...nice knowin' ya, Mindy Kaling Project (and what kind of a title is that?) and good luck.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Mindy Kaling Project (and what kind of a title is that?)

Better than the one they were originally going to use before a lot of backlash, It's Messy!

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Better than the one they were originally going to use before a lot of backlash, It's Messy!

I clearly missed the brouhaha. Why was there a backlash about the title of It's Messy? Doesn't seem offensive, at least, not to me.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Apparently, some people didn't like the illusion of an OBY-GYN and the title because I guess lady bits are messy. I didn't have a problem with the title, I just thought it was stupid.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

Apparently, some people didn't like the illusion of an OBY-GYN and the title because I guess lady bits are messy.

Eh. A double entendre. You're right. It's stupid. So be it. It is what it is!

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 1:08 AM

I enjoyed it, but I am also an unabashed Bridget Jones fan, so that's probably why. Kaling is a lot more intelligent than the Kelly Kapoor persona, so I'm glad she's writing her own show. Yes, I think this is a variation on Kapoor but different enough that as the character evolves she'll differentiate herself. And it's so nice to see a lead like her on television - ten years ago she would be way too "unconventional" (both in body type and in race) to get this opportunity.

I love Chris Messina in this part. I know he's supposed to be a major jerk, but I think his jerkiness comes off as a major defense mechanism, and usually when provoked. The line that stings the most in the pilot, about her losing weight is directly after she insensitively brings up his divorce. And I like the little bit of regret flash across his face after he said it. Also, the character loves Springsteen, so I already feel a bit of allegiance there. Though I have to seriously disagree about When Harry Met Sally, it's a classic, even if romantic comedies have been co-opted by Katherine Heigl and bad cliches. Damn, I miss Nora Ephron.

From my perspective, it's pretty obvious that a relationship between the two (Danny and Mindy) is either endgame or will be explored at some point. He comes off very Mark Darcy to me. A nice subtle moment I enjoyed was when she strips off all her date attire, makeup, dons her glasses and performs her surgery is a glimpse you see him admiring her. I also loved seeing Anna Camp, hope her part gets expanded. I'm a huge anglophile, but Ed Weeks did nothing for me.

The character of Mindy Lahiri is flawed, no doubt. But the show doesn't shy away from it. Her friend calls her on it, and she's self aware about it, if too late on the uptake there. Either way, it's a charming show that I think will improve. And her pop culture references are killer, IMO.

Edited by OptimisticCynic, Sep 28, 2012 @ 2:47 PM.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

I like Mindy a lot and while I've never wanted to actually live a romcom, I'm an unabashed fan of good ones. So for those reasons, I'm willing to watch this show develop. The pilot wasn't great but I chuckled a few times and accomplished what it was meant to which is set up the premise.

Now that it's done, I look forward to watching the characters develop more. That will more likely determine if this is a keeper for me or a throwaway.

yb125

yb125

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

I will keep watching, it seems like it can develop unto something good. Not perfect but it's a pilot.

TwizzWhizz11

TwizzWhizz11

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 6:09 AM

I agree with the comments about it being similar to New Girl - it will (hopefully) grow into something and come into its own as the season progresses.

I like the pilot, for the most part. Some parts were a bit cringe-worthy, but I also thought other parts were laugh-out-loud hilarious. And, for what it's worth, it's nice seeing an Indian girl at the helm of a show. I hope she doesn't ignore that part of her character, because it could really be worth exploring.

Where does the show take place? New York or LA?

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

Mindy lives in L.A. in real life, right? I read her novel recently.

It was okay. I guess I'll reserve judgment...

And it's so nice to see a lead like her on television - ten years ago she would be way too "unconventional" (both in body type and in race) to get this opportunity.

I wonder if Mindy even knows that. She has a lot of power and opportunity here, and this pilot showcased 4 cute white men. Where I live, the doctors are not all cute 30 something white men, and I've run into a lot of doctors. This show seems very much a fantasy of what Mindy wants her life to look like... (just my impression)

Edited by Bunny LaJoya, Sep 3, 2012 @ 11:53 AM.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Well the bottom line is that tv shows have to put attractive people on the air b/c Hollywood says it has to. And I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon, especially on network tv.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

New York, it would appear.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Well it doesn't look realistically like New York to me, at all. I don't know where she would be biking around in NY - even in the outer boroughs that would have room for outdoor pools, unless it was Long Island area, or possibly New Jersey and she stole the bike.

But perhaps once the other episodes air they will have changed some of the locations and production values to better reflect New York, if that is in fact, their intention. The most "NY" styled thing was the taxi cab just because it was yellow, but other than that I didn't get the NY impression at all.

Short interview with Mindy. She talks about being the lead of a show and her affinity for Bridget Jones, so for those of us who saw those resemblances, those were probably intentional.

Edited by OptimisticCynic, Sep 28, 2012 @ 2:47 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

But perhaps once the other episodes air they will have changed some of the locations and production values to better reflect New York, if that is in fact, their intention. The most "NY" styled thing was the taxi cab just because it was yellow, but other than that I didn't get the NY impression at all.

Ed Helms character also stated he worked on Wall Street.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

Ah, forgot about that.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Well the bottom line is that tv shows have to put attractive people on the air b/c Hollywood says it has to. And I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon, especially on network tv.

What does that even mean? I don't agree with this in the least. Do you find Roseanne and John Goodman attractive? TV is not wholly objectively good-looking.

The point of my post is that Mindy is a non-stick-thin, non-white, unconventional beauty on television. She has the power to do the same for casting her show, and didn't do it at all in the pilot.

kennyab

kennyab

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

strebor

strebor

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

What was the deal with the stain on the back of Mindy's orange dress? That was so distracting yet not a word about it. Weird.

TwizzWhizz11

TwizzWhizz11

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

I was kind of hoping it wasn't set in either - I'm a little tired of all these shows in LA or NY. There are so many other great cities with character. But I guess the LA/NY is easy to recreate and Mindy has lived a lot of her life in those two places.

I'm confident in Mindy's writing skills, so I'm hoping the episodes continue to be strong.

BoogieBurns

BoogieBurns

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

I guess you can't really tell from watching it! I thought it was set in Boston, but that's only because I read her book and part of her life she lived there. Clearly I made that up in my brain...