Counting Cars: Or Counting the Spin-Offs?

• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

GoMocs

GoMocs

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

Counting Cars is another spin off on History Channel. This is spun off from Pawn Stars. Danny Koker and his car business is profiled. Counting this one, you have Pawn Stars, American Restoration, American Pickers all tied together. Yet another one is coming down the road, I have read it is called Barn Finds, about Corky Coker from Chattanooga TN who finds and rebuilds cars. One episode of American Pickers showed them at Charlies business.

Edited to add that apparently Barn Finds will be on the Travel Channel.

Edited by GoMocs, Aug 14, 2012 @ 2:27 PM.

patroo

patroo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

Counting Cars is not particularly good. Driving around neighborhoods scouting for rebuild prospects is normal, flagging down people driving down the road is not. I don't fathom why the red car eventually stopped - wouldn't he have been worried about being jacked for his nice ride? Of course, the presence of a camera crew sort of negated that, but in real life, I would not pull over for any weirdo.

The rebuild on the Mustang from Pawn Stars was somewhat interesting, but the work was skimmed over - one moment the interior is all messed up from a crummy upholstery job, and the next it's magically fixed, probably by replacing the respective parts, and the car is drivable.

Show us more rebuilding and restoration details and less "let's go down the street and look like car thieves." It seems more profitable to search out hulks for rebuilding than to offer a pittance for someone's finished ride. Yes, one almost never gets back what has been invested in the rebuilding of a classic vehicle, but you don't need to throw it away for nothing. Unless it's a Yugo.

SomeJoeBlow

SomeJoeBlow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 16, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

If I was hearing right, in the Pawn Stars episode that aired directly before this one, they were saying that restoring that Mustang could bring up to $100K. Then, in this episode, Pawn Stars Rick had to get at least $40-50K to make money. Then, at the end, he would have paid $12.5 + 35 = $47.5K just to keep the car himself.

Of course, in the Pawn Stars episode, they were really excited that a lot of the original stuff was there, especially things like the engine, fog lamps and decal inside the grill. Then, by the end, they wiped all that stuff out, completely redid all of the interior, and someone made a comment about the engine like, "nope, none of that's original." WTF?

I realize a lot of the show's made for camera, but they basically stalked the first guy until he pulled over. I thought if you were running a restoration shop, the money was in finding project cars and actually restoring them, not chasing down people on the streets that have already done all of the work and trying to make money off of that. The guy with all of the tattoos got just as hideous of a bike as he had tattoos. And Rick Pawn Stars' car, after I looked it up, did look like Bullitt, but that's not originally what they were going to do with the car.

Of course, we barely saw any of the work -- we saw, "Hey, I have this project." *a few random shots of workers looking at the project* "Here's your finished product!" The show should be more about what it takes to actually do the restorations, not just before/after..

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

Definitely something seemed hinky with the Mustang restoration. I was wondering about the horse on the grill especially. Was that on the originally manufactured car or added by the person who messed up the interior. I know Mustangs did have it, but maybe not all of them. It looked odd on the car Rick bought.

Not sure about this show. There really should have been more about the Mustang since that storyline was what brought the "Pawn Stars" watchers.

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 16, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

Not sure about this show. There really should have been more about the Mustang since that storyline was what brought the "Pawn Stars" watchers.

I agree. I was looking forward to this show and it didn't deliver. I didn't want to see tatoo guy either, I wanted to see more about the Mustang! Was it hard to get the parts for the restoration? I was interested in that story.

Stalking someone with a nice car on the street smacks of desperation too. I hope there isn't more of this.

Riverbend

Riverbend

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 24, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

Does anyone think Rick would pay 8 grand for that ridiculous pool table. Nice marketing novelty for the restoration business but puleassee, give us viewers a little credit. There's a million shows with guys welding pieces of metal so I appreciate them trying to do something different and the PG rated Jesse James wannabe is personable but come on. One more thing, Horny Mike is seems really gifted.

lordonia

lordonia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 25, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

Mostly I'm dying to pull that rag off Danny's forehead and see what he's hiding.

The pool table should have gotten a standard green baize top and it looked awfully low to play on, but I could see some gear head with a big basement wanting it. I don't for a second believe Rick bought it, although his comment that he's not allowed to put furniture in his house made me laugh.

Hezadelsol

Hezadelsol

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

I can see this show getting really old really fast. Danny flags down reluctant driver, driver says no to selling, Danny buys some other car, random plot point, usually arguing about making money, gloss over the car being fixed, see finished car sold. Yawn.

Also in typical Danny fashion, he went over budget on Rick's car. I don't think there's a single instance of him keeping to his damn budget with the Pawn Stars crew. What a turd.

bunnyface

bunnyface

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

My husband likes Pawn Stars and when I saw they were continuing the story with the Mustang, I taped Counting Cars for him so he could see it finished.

I personally don't like Danny. Maybe (probably) I'm projecting my own experience with someone who he reminds me of. He is so arrogant and several times on Pawn Stars I've seen an owner disagree with him on the value of a car he is appraising, and he seems like he'd like to just go off on the guy. Kind of a "how dare you disagree with me" kind of vibe.

If he really goes around town flagging down cars, and not just doing it when he has cameras, I'm surprised he hasn't been shot yet. Seems like a pretty dangerous hobby.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

I am not a big fan of this show, but I tune in now and again when hubby is watching it. I enjoyed the segment featuring Barry White's wife, Glodean. I thought they had divorced? She still has those long ass fingernails. I loved watching her get all sentimental over the car and the restoration. I miss Barry White too.

If he really goes around town flagging down cars, and not just doing it when he has cameras, I'm surprised he hasn't been shot yet. Seems like a pretty dangerous hobby.

My brother has a classic car and I can't tell you how many times he gets pulled over or has been asked by drivers on the road, questions about his car. I think it is something people with classic cars or something nice looking such as a motorcycle, get used to when out and about. My husband tends to do that when he sees a nice car on the road. He yells out the window asking questions or telling the person, "Nice car." Now, as for this show, it might be staged/scripted, but it is not unusual for someone to want to know more about a nice vehicle or bike. I do understand the craziness though, how do they not know someone might jack them? Pull into a public place and be safe I guess.

Edited by kemon, Oct 10, 2012 @ 3:22 PM.

Gironbachs

Gironbachs

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Maybe they can give Danny's receding hairline he so desperately tries to hide with a bandana it's own show.

lordonia

lordonia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

Maybe they can give Danny's receding hairline he so desperately tries to hide with a bandana it's own show.

Ha! I SO want to drive to Vegas and snatch that thing off!!

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

The new season started this week! Not sure about the boss, can't remember his name currently, being gone as he kept Danny in check and was a great presence in the show. I do feel the Doc was added due to CNBC's Chasing Cars, it could be a total coincidence though.

Sloth on Speed

Sloth on Speed

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 1:33 PM

Scott was the name of the finance man, but he was never the boss. Danny owns the shop, and was always the final word. I have no idea why the tossed Scott, but I thought it was the best decision the show could have ever made. The guy did nothing but grumble and try to stop all the fun that Danny was having. Kevin (Danny's BFF) seems to have taken his place, and is keeping the money that get's spent is sane.  Loving this new season so far.

JahniBlaze

JahniBlaze

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 4:02 PM

Danny said last week that Scott had a baby and moved family to Tennessee.

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 7:05 PM

Yes Scott! Thank you! And let's be real, if you handle the finances you're technically the boss heh.

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2014 @ 12:37 AM

I've been catching up on this show and while I like it, and Danny, I agree I'd like to see more of the actual work. I had to laugh at the one where Danny tried to buy a Roadrunner and, upon rejection, ruefully noted the guy knew what he had. Yeah, that's a bitch.

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2014 @ 9:31 AM

I'm wondering why they brought more people in, yet don't really showcase them more in the episodes.