Totally Biased

• Please log in to reply

324 replies to this topic

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 4:34 PM

Here is the list of upcoming guests:

Monday, Sept. 16                             Eco-comedian/cultural blogger Kristina Wong
Tuesday, Sept. 17                Comedian Gilbert Godfried
Wednesday, Sept. 18          Standup performance by Comedian Michelle Buteau
Thursday, Sept. 19                            Sports writer Dave Zirin (The Nation)

Monday, Sept. 23                             TBD
Tuesday, Sept. 24                              Author Tim Wise (“Dear White America,” “White Like Me”)
Wednesday, Sept. 25                      Van Jones (CNN’s Crossfire)
Thursday, Sept. 26                            Musician Big Freedia

Monday, Sept. 30                             Blogger and Radio Host Jay Smooth (WBAI’s Underground Railroad)
Tuesday, Oct. 1                                  Jesse Ventura (author, “They Killed Our President”)
Wednesday, Oct. 2                          Comedian Hannibal Buress

edited to add: I think they mean "Gilbert Gottfried," not Godfried...

Edited by loudfan, Sep 16, 2013 @ 4:34 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

I'm wondering if they meant Godfrey? He's black, he's  a lot younger, and he's funnier.  Nothing against Gilbert Gottfried but IMO it'd make a lot more sense for Godfrey to be the guest considering the demographic.

I don't want to advocate stalking but I loved Kristina Wong's "Explode Linside me" sign for Jeremy Lin.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Sep 17, 2013 @ 1:30 PM.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 2:45 PM

It is definitely Gilbert Gottfried, according to WKB's Twitter.

Hari Kondabolu's reaction to Miss America made me LOL, especially when put in context by his segment last season about Indians winning the Spelling Bee. 

I am really disappointed that FXX isn't making full episodes available anywhere online, even to buy on iTunes -- I have to go out of town for a couple weeks next month and may not have access to FXX. I guess they want people to call their cable operators and demand the channel instead of watching their shows online, but I suspect it's too new and obscure to show up on hotel cable packages. Many of them don't even have Comedy Central, they're just overloaded with sports and news channels.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 3:12 PM

WTF is wrong with Holland?  "  Hey, lets give Santa Claus a slave.  And then let's dress up in blackface and "celebrate" him."

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Sep 19, 2013 @ 3:15 PM.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

The comedian who made the jokes about Santa and his slave, Michelle Buteau, was also prominently featured in a Key & Peele sketch. Good night for her!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 10:33 AM

She was the only decently funny person on the rebooted Best Week Ever, so I'm happy for her getting more exposure.

I wasn't crazy about the network exec bit Thur night. I felt like it went on way too long, but that woman (I'm guessing one of the writers) has truly impressive dimples.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 12:24 PM

The network exec was indeed played by one of the show's writers, Eliza Skinner. She also appeared in the "Florida intervention" sketch.

It makes me happy that TB has several kick-ass female writers on its staff, considering that most talk shows have wall to wall white dudes (just check out the Emmys' talk show nominations for proof of that). I love the many different comedic perspectives I get from watching TB.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 21, 2013 @ 11:09 AM

I agree, the diversity of the writing staff is impressive not only gender diversity but also racial and sexual orientation- wise.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 6:03 AM

Did I miss an episode or did Meghan McCain not show up as a guest?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 1:08 AM

Did I miss an episode or did Meghan McCain not show up as a guest?

Yeah, I originally saw her listed as being the guest too but either someone messed up or she just couldn't make it.

I was really disappointed with Jeffrey Wright and his obsession with defending the use of redskins.  Regardless of the origin it's now a racial slur and shouldn't be used.  The swastika was a symbol for good luck for thousands of years but if someone displays a swastika people are going to be offended and upset by it because it's come to represent the Nazi party and it's racist attitudes and policies.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 5:55 AM

Yeah, I originally saw her listed as being the guest too but either someone messed up or she just couldn't make it.

Thanks, I was pretty sure I hadn't missed any of the episodes but that made me wonder for a sec there.

I was really disappointed with Jeffrey Wright and his obsession with defending the use of redskins.  Regardless of the origin it's now a racial slur and shouldn't be used.  The swastika was a symbol for good luck for thousands of years but if someone displays a swastika people are going to be offended and upset by it because it's come to represent the Nazi party and it's racist attitudes and policies.

Right or wrong (and I agree with you that I think he is wrong), it was just a plain bizarre thing to make a big deal about. I mean, seriously, Jeffrey Wright? He's obviously a very smart guy and this is also obviously an important issue for him for whatever reason, but dude, it really didn't make sense to make it pretty much the entirety of your interview. It was an awkward moment for Bell, as he clearly disagreed with Wright but at the same time didn't want to push the issue too much, which is a shame, since he CLEARLY disagreed with him. It was a bit of a shame to see him basically give Wright a good ol' "Agree to disagree" instead of explaining why that this really isn't a thing you agree to disagree on.

On another point, I think the disparity of white actors to minority actors is a very important topic to discuss, and the notion that so few minority actors were nominated for acting awards was a very good point. Hollywood really should come up with better roles for minority actors. However, with that all being said, Claire Danes deserved the Emmy. So I didn't think that that was a very strong point. If Kerry Washington was the frontrunner and out of nowhere a white actress won like Jeff Daniels winning over more deserving actors then yes, that's a call for action. That'd be really outrageous. But the defending winner of the award who submitted a brilliant episode? Come on, that's just not a big deal. 

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 9:17 AM

I was astounded that the guy was defending the Washington team. First of all, since when does he get to overrule the opinion of actual native people who have been protesting this name for years? Second of all, tell me the "tomahawk chop" is not BS. And third, it's not just the word, it's the idea of making a people into a mascot. How about the "Washington Niggers"? How does that sound? He can say some people are reclaiming the word, but that doesn't give other people license to abuse it. The gestures and the resistance to criticism from those it targets say everything about intention, as well.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 1:01 AM

Man what is up with actors that I like?  First Wright and now Samuel L. Jackson.  It's bad enough he went after W. Kamau Bell without knowing anything about him but it's just low and uncalled for to go after his family.  And questioning/criticizing someone's blackness because they have a white spouse and/or their child is biracial needs to stop.

I loved Dwayne Kennedy's segment about how to deal with the police.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 1:59 AM

So disappointing. There's a legitimate discussion to be had over the use of the n-word in historical films. I can see the value in both sides. But to then take that and go to "Bell can't speak about the word because his wife is white." What the fuck, Jackson?

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 11:35 AM

My favorite part of the Jackson rant was that he described Bell as a "twentysomething." Dude's in his forties! No wonder he was flattered!

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

My favorite part of the Jackson rant was that he described Bell as a "twentysomething." Dude's in his forties!

"Good black don't crack."

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 1:10 AM

I'm glad I can go back to liking Samuel L. Jackson.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 10:46 AM

Denzel, please come on the show. I liked the discussion of the guns, but I hate the argument that it doesn't matter about background checks since bad guys will still get guns. Why make people get driver licenses, it won't stop a person from driving a car? I will never get tired of the street interviews.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2013 @ 12:47 AM

I'm glad I can go back to liking Samuel L. Jackson.

I dunno, the apology was basically, "Okay, you now meet the arbitrary standards I set up for whether people can talk about the n-word." It seemed less like an apology and more like "Damn, I don't want to talk about this anymore, what can I do to just quiet everyone?" 

As for today's show, the Jesse Ventura interview was an utter joke. To have the guy on to hock his JFK conspiracy book was way depressing. Hell, everything about the interview was depressing. His sad Presidency talk. His weird decades-old beef with Ross Perot's people. But best/worst of all... "I asked women and they told me, a famous bald man, that they don't care about hair. Therefore, I have clearly proven that women don't care about hair." Suuuuure, Jesse, keep telling yourself that that little "experiment" proved anything beyond "people will tell other people what they want to hear so as to avoid an uncomfortable situation." Hey, I accidentally brought it back to Jackson's "apology"! 

EDITED TO CORRECT "you not meet" to "you now meet"

Edited by Brian C, Oct 2, 2013 @ 2:34 AM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 10:54 PM

I wish the show wasn't accompanied by a "TV MA-L" warning. They don't curse, it's less laden with sexual innuendo than a lot of shows in prime time (and certainly less vulgar than The Daily Show airing in the same timeslot), there's no violence. I don't get it.

Edited by possibilities, Oct 14, 2013 @ 10:55 PM.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 11:47 PM

I'm pretty sure there were at least 2-3 unbleeped "shit"s in tonight's show. That's probably why it got an MA-L. "Shit" bleeping is pretty inconsistent. It's often unbleeped on "South Park," which airs at 10:30, but is almost always bleeped on "The Daily Show," which airs at 11... perhaps so "TDS" doesn't get rated MA-L.

When "Totally Biased" was still airing on FX, one episode got a MA-S "contains nudity" rating. I couldn't imagine why, and it turned out there was a brief animated cartoon segment in which Kamau's bare butt was shown. At least the Mt. Rushmore gag tonight didn't warrant the nudity rating.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 12:38 PM

I missed Kamau when he was off last week. I hope his joke about Arsenio doesn't mean his ratings are horrible.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2013 @ 10:55 PM

Oh dear lord, I have often found Oprah insufferable but her interview with Diana Nyad was over the top even for her!

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2013 @ 1:20 PM

I hope his joke about Arsenio doesn't mean his ratings are horrible.

I didn't interpret the joke being bout the ratings at all.  I saw it more as a joke about how he and Arsenio are supposedly interchangeable because they're both black men who host late night talk shows.

I like Bell but IMO several of his writers are funnier and would make better hosts.  My favorites are Dewayne Kennedy and Jeanine Brio(I think that's her name)

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 3:49 PM

I'm pretty sure there were at least 2-3 unbleeped "shit"s in tonight's show. That's probably why it got an MA-L. "Shit" bleeping is pretty inconsistent. It's often unbleeped on "South Park," which airs at 10:30, but is almost always bleeped on "The Daily Show," which airs at 11... perhaps so "TDS" doesn't get rated MA-L.

TDS also will occasionally air different versions for 11PM (and, I presume, the 1AM repeat) with later repeats that air early the next day having more censorship. Maybe one issue is that Totally Biased doesn't have the budget to do that?

Or maybe its just that there aren't set rules and interpretations are inconsistent.

I like Jeanine Brio a lot but I think she said in an interview that we're seeing a different side of her on this show, that she usually avoids politics in her comedy, so I'm not sure how much I'd like her the rest of the time. She's great here, though.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

I love how Kamau poked fun at one side of the audience for not knowing what a "Scrub" is also known as. 

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2013 @ 10:56 AM

I loved the bit with Dewayne Harris interviewing Civil War reenactors, some of those people really get into it.  BTW there were NOT 30,000 black people who fought for the South.  That's a bunch of PR BS/lies that some people like to perpetuate.  Some blacks had to serve as cooks, maids, etc. for the Confederacy and I recently learned about a case where the black "servants" overthrew the Confederate sailors of a ship and then put on their uniforms and pretended to be them so they could sail up north to freedom.  However no black man was ever given a gun by the Confederacy.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2013 @ 9:38 AM

So yesterday, I went to a "Totally Biased" taping! My original plans fell through, so I requested tix for that night's show via the web site at around 10 AM and got a reply almost immediately. It reminds me of when I was visiting NY many years ago and went to a Conan taping after his show had only been on the air for a couple of months. Eventually, of course, it became much harder to get tickets!

We were asked to arrive at their midtown studios no later than 5:45; I got there at 5:30 but they didn't seem too rigid about the time limit. (Insert "CPT" joke here) The audience got to sit in a comfortable room with chairs for everyone until they were ready to bring us into the studio, unlike "The Daily Show"/"Colbert," where you just mill around in a tiny room for an hour plus. A woman even came in to distribute candy to everyone when the wait got a little long due to rehearsal! At around 6:20 we got to enter the studio. There are the rows you see on TV, near Kamau, and a couple rows of seats way in the back. A staff person looks at everybody who walks in and decides where to seat you. I'm guessing this is to make the audience look as diverse as possible though I'd estimate that the crowd was probably 60% people of color. My husband & I, who are middle-aged white folks, got sent to the back row.

Oh, the two people who participated in the sketch with the sign language interpreter were chosen while we were still in the waiting area. The crowd was asked, "Is there anyone here who's a hip hop expert -- we need a male and a female," and those two happened to volunteer.

There was very little warm-up, unlike "Colbert" (which I attended on Tuesday), where they have you practice clapping and screaming 'til you're hoarse even before the taping begins. A clip reel of some "Totally Biased" greatest hits aired, and then the show started. It went very smoothly -- there were only a couple times when Kamau stumbled over a word and they had to redo the take. Between segments, a comedian named Myq Kaplan came out and did stand-up to keep the crowd amused. I am staying in a cable-less apartment so I haven't seen the finished show, but it seemed like it ran way long. I'm guessing it'll be edited down quite a bit to fit the slot, especially the bits with the sign language interpreter. Hari Kondabulu came out at the end and spent about 5 minutes taping intros for the Mix Tape, so perhaps some of the extra content will show up there.

The taping wrapped up around 7:45. All in all, it was a fun experience and if you're a fan, I recommend you go now while it's super easy to get tix!

Oh, one last thing -- as we were leaving, we saw Dwayne Kennedy out in the hall. My husband said, "You're hilarious!" or something like that as we were being herded into the elevator and Dwayne gave him a sincere, warm smile and said thanks. I wasn't sure what to expect from him, based on his comedic persona...

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

Fun taping report! How big is the studio? How many do they seat?

I love this show. There is a true diversity of voices-- not only faces/demographics, but also style/tone. We have goofy, wry, angry, awed, self-deprecating, etc. It's not a formula that everyone's trying to squeeze into, it's a formula where changing things up is part of the plan. I love how no one feels like a token. Only one out lesbian on staff? She still doesn't feel like a token!

With guests, too. I have no idea how they are coming up with this list of people, and some of them I still have no idea why they were there even after their appearance, but it's a great mix of people you expec, people you can't believe are there, people you've never heard of, and big name "gets." It's more of that same flavor of "diversity means absofuckinglutely everyone." It's not code for "you know who we mean but we're not gonna say the words."

And it's not mean. It's very easy, and even justifiable, to want to go apeshit on some of the stuff they feature. Demonize those mofos! They bring it on themselves! But it never seems like anyone is getting pleasure out of feeling morally superior or righteously outraged. The show has a way of spelling things out but it's more like necessity than revenge.

I find some shows more amusing and/or insightful than others, but I never feel diminished by watching and I feel like any missteps would be acknowledged if called out. It's not a defensive or offensive tone-- which is delightfully surprising to me, as I think even the best projects around tend to have something to prove.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2013 @ 10:58 AM

possibilities, there are probably around 100 people in the audience -- there are the rows you see on TV (three rows on one side, two on the other), then a space where the camera people operate, and then a couple more rows in the back, behind the cameras. (Views were occasionally obstructed, but there are monitors hanging from the ceiling.)

One thing I noticed was that the "TB" staff & even the camera people seemed to be having a good time and smiled and laughed at several of the jokes. At "Colbert," some of the folks were as dour as Secret Service men, which I found incredible -- how could you NOT laugh at Stephen Colbert? Of course, he's been on the air for 8 years so perhaps long-time employees have grown immune to his charms...

And now, as a special bonus, here are the next weeks' guests:

*Monday, Oct. 28:                             Comedian Judy Gold
*Tuesday, Oct. 29:                             MSNBC Anchor Alex Wagner (NOW with Alex Wagner)
Wednesday, Oct. 30:                                       Comedian Penn Jillette
Thursday, Oct. 31:                                            Comedian Sheng Wang

Monday, Nov. 4:                                                Journalist Soledad O’Brien
Tuesday, Nov. 5:                                                TBD             
Wednesday, Nov. 6:                                         Comedian Bill Burr
Thursday, Nov. 7:                                              Comedian Maria Bamford

*Monday, Nov. 11:                            Comedian Baratunde Thurston 
Tuesday, Nov. 12:                                             TBD             
Wednesday, Nov. 13:                                      TBD
*Thursday, Nov. 14:                          Comedian Jim Norton