Gymnastics: For This We Put Up With the Terrible Trio

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1403 replies to this topic

katykc

katykc

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

McKayla Maroney has fractured tibia

Such a bummer! I know the girls need to strike while the iron's hot in terms of making money from their gold medal, but this is sad. For gymnasts like Nastia where her gymnastics career is over, going on tour makes sense. But for all the girls who still want to stay competitive, is it really worth it to risk the rest of their career for the tour?

Also, I've never been to a gymnastics tour show, but I didn't expect it to be so clubby--dark lighting, club music, girls dancing on a podium while the others are doing their bars routines? Isn't that a bit inappropriate for a team of underage gymnasts (I know some of the gymnasts on the show are 18+, but Raisman's the only one out of the Five that's over 18).

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

Its ridiculous how poorly planned the safety precautions for the Kellogs tour is. Are these girls insured? I mean you hear about actors not being able to jump a couple of feet because the insurers won't let them but things like this are okayed. I would assume them being athletes they have even more reason to be insured and the insurance providers would have to approve the enviroment which they perform. I can't see how landing on a narrow little mattress ontop of a concrete floor was approved.

I'm not an expert on this issue, but the unsafe performing conditions tells me that the girls are not insured. Moreover, it appears that these girls are being exploited and no one is looking out for their best interests.

Back to the insurance issue, I understand that Lloyds of London offers a specialized form of disability insurance to professional athletes that protects them from career-ending injuries, but the premiums can be extremely high. A number of high-profile pro athletes carry these kind of policies. Some elite college athletes carry them as well, under special arrangements where the premiums are deferred until the athlete turns pro.

In the case of the Fierce Five, but it may be up to each of them individually to seek disability insurance. On that note, I hope these girls didn't sign on to this tour without some kind of coverage. The girls who have already gone pro (like Gabby) may have disability coverage that was arranged through their commercial sponsors, but the one's who want to maintain their amateur status may not be covered, since they probably can't afford the premiums. IMO the amateurs are taking the biggest risk, and probably shouldn't have signed onto the tour, especially under such horrifying performing conditions.

seashellez

seashellez

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

In other news

CSphillyeagles

CSphillyeagles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

Heh, that blind item is obviously Mckayla. Its the National Enquirer so who knows if they're just going from the unimpressed meme (her teammates seem to like her), but honestly that 'tude is part of the whole entertaining persona...she'll need it in hollywood ( but please don't retire yet!)

Read good news that Gabby is only doing half the tour so she can go back to Iowa to train. Good idea with all these pointless injuries...she's so young and has so much potential. Chow also has some other young kids coming apparenty (Norah Flatley). Iowa is now like Gymnastics Heaven.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 4:53 AM

One of the commenters to that National Enquirer post noted that it said she was going to trade in gold medals plural for... Now of course, they could have made a mistake. ;-)

narrativeaddict

narrativeaddict

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

I love McKayla. She doesn't have the Shawn Johnson, Midwest honor student demeanor that the public might want from a star gymnast, but she doesn't seem like a bitch either. She's confident and funny, which can seem bitchy at times, and she clearly likes attention, but overall, she seems like a good kid with a good heart.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

Does anyone know how the Kelloggs Tour has changed since McKayla's injury? I only saw it after she was injured, and I noticed that there's no vault. Also, one of the other gymnasts -- I think someone from the national team -- was filling in for her, but (from the cheap seats) looked like a strong resemblance, and I was wondering if that was the idea? The gymnasts weren't named until the end of the show, so probably a lot of people in the arena thought it was McKayla the whole time.

otarmy2002

otarmy2002

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

Alicia Sacramone has generally filled in for her on the Olympic rings and there hasn't been any vault on the tour.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

Color me surprised that it wasn't Nastia.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

Nastia was doing a bunch of aerial stunts, in addition to some beam work. I didn't recognize her when she was doing the aerial stuff, though. Wish the announcer had told us who was whom!

The show was like Cirque du Soleil meets Magic Mike. (The male gymnasts did some cheesy stripper moves while showing off their muscles, to songs like "Sexy And I Know It." But still family-friendly.) It was fine from the cheap seats, glad I didn't pay top dollar -- there were tons of empty seats at the higher price ranges, so that was probably a miscalculation. Would have benefited from a screen showing close-ups, but that probably would have gotten in the way of the equipment.

seashellez

seashellez

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

Are there plans to air the post OE tour at some point? NBC?

ETA McKayla gets another job.

Edited by seashellez, Sep 26, 2012 @ 6:46 AM.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

Certainly the success of the Olympic team is providing a boost to local gyms. My daughter is part of a competition cheer squad at a local gym and nowadays, every time we go for a practice, the place is packed with other gym/tumbling classes (not to mention the parking lot).

NYnina

NYnina

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

I think Kelloggs mentioned they were trying to figure out when they could air the tour on TV. Although that was a while ago so don't know if it's still happening.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

Well McKayla's certainly savvy and ambitious, isn't she? I wish her well and think she could very well spin fleeting Olympic and Internet fame into a nice career, though I think she's best in small doses. Rio is a long shot, but I hope she manages to get a vault named after her before she jets off to Hollywood.

In more Fierce Five news, Gabby will have a guest appearance on her favorite show, Vampire Diaries (Oh, Gabby), and she finally landed an endorsement...with Nintendo. Pretty good, though I was hoping for bigger stuff for her. I think Shawn Johnson has a deal with Xbox. I'm glad to hear that she's back in the gym and has no plans to retire.

Here's one of the better quality videos I've found of Nastia's routine on tour.

NYnina

NYnina

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

I'm not surprised Gabby and McKayla ended up with the TV show appearances, they seem to be the most outgoing personalities. (And CW tends to snatch up the Olympians lol). It's nice though, might as well have their fun while they can. Especially since both seem intent on sticking with gymnastics for a while longer.

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

Are there plans to air the post OE tour at some point? NBC?

So the NBC coverage of the tour just ended. Did anyone see it? This was damn near the Nastia show! Although Nastia was beautiful, so I'm not complaining.

Does anybody know how the gymnasts get chosen to be on the tour? I'm just wondering why Shawn Johnson wasn't there - did she have a falling out with Martha or something (I'm just assuming that Martha runs everything related to USA gymnastics)? It's just weird that she's not there because Shawn is one of the most recognizable faces of gymnastics and she is clearly still doing the Hollywood spotlight thing.

One last gripe - I would have loved to see more of the retired/older gymnasts there. In fact, that should be the show every year. If retired gymnasts did most of the show, the still active gymnasts can come and wave to the crowd and maybe do their floor routine. That would cut the injuries for active gymnasts and the audience would get a better show because retired gymnasts can throw tricks and routines that actives wouldn't risk (I was really tired of all the posing, jumping and clapping to club music). This is why Nastia got to be the center of the show and do all of those aerial tricks - no active would risk spinning by their neck in the air, but Nastia's aerial routines were the best part of the show, imo.

Edited by GrrlPower, Oct 14, 2012 @ 3:48 PM.

COESpiral

COESpiral

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

Because Shawn is currently doing Dancing With The Stars: All Stars and can't do a tour and a tv show at the same time. I know she and DWTS partner Derek showed up this past week at one of the tour stops to do one of their dances (Derek posted a photo of he, Shawn, Gabby, Aly, Jordyn, and McKayla on Twitter) so she hasn't been forgotten here.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

It makes perfect sense that Shawn chose the invitation to Dancing With the Stars: All Stars over the Kellogg's Tour, IMO. For one, the former gives her a whole bunch more exposure, including an audience that may have forgotten about her after the Beijing Games. Assuming that she wants to pursue some kind of career in entertainment after her retirement, the exposure and connections in LA will help. And as her gymnastic skills are helping her run away with the competition at the moment, I'd say she made the right choice.

During the tour, she'd only be one of many gymnasts, and without a lot of the perks and pampering of DWTS. I worried with this tour that the novelty of performing and traveling would soon wear off quickly for the gymnasts, which is why I don't blame Team USA for not committing to the entire run of the tour.

BTW, here's a video of Shawn and her partner visiting the Fierce Five during the Iowa leg. They certainly seem to be fans of McKayla.

Bonus video of the gymnasts rehearsing their Party Rock routine. Nastia's reaction is funny, but Anna Li was killing it. I'd love to see either of them on Dancing With the Stars one day.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

How come Kyla wasn't in the Dancing With the Stars appearance? Is it because she hasn't turned pro? But she's on the tour... I'm so confused about this "pro" thing. (It seems to be different for figure skaters.)

NYnina

NYnina

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Kyla mentioned before the tour started that she would probably only do the West Coast stops bc she had to go back to school.

My Iron Lung

My Iron Lung

Fanatic

• Interests:Radiohead, obviously.

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

Does anyone know which female gymnast was in the Bruno Mars contemporary dance (the girl in the black dress) in the Kellogg's tour? I've looked online but for the life of me I can't figure out who she is.

HelloPatti

HelloPatti

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

If you go on http://kelloggstour.com/cast/, maybe you can match up which female it was. I can't see the face too clearly.

My Iron Lung

My Iron Lung

Fanatic

• Interests:Radiohead, obviously.

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

I've looked, I don't think she's there. Her face looks like Alicia Sacramone's, but she's too tall and not as muscular.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

The videos of all of the events (with Shannon and Mr. Aussie comentary!) are all up on Youtube on the official IOC channel