Dracula: Jonathan Rhys Meyers Does Vlad

• Please log in to reply

584 replies to this topic

Omnomnomicon

Omnomnomicon

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 7:54 AM

From HuffPo:

Dracula" is coming to NBC in the form of Jonathan Rhys Meyers. The network has ordered a 10-episode series starring the "Tudors" veteran.

The series picks up with Dracula arriving in London, posing as an American entrepreneur. Dracula's front? He pretends to want to bring modern science to the Victorian society, but his real intentions are revenge on the people who wronged him centuries ago. However, it's not all rage and death because Dracula falls in love with a woman who appears to be a reincarnation of his dead wife.

"We are delighted that Jonathan Rhys Meyers has chosen this project to return to television and have built an amazing team of producers behind the camera to deliver this extraordinary show," Michael Edelstein, president of NBCUniversal International Television Production, said in a statement. "Since 1897, the story of Dracula has captivated readers and viewers alike and this sexy, updated twist on the classic also promises not to disappoint."

I think Meyers will do well with this role, having recently re-watched The Tudors. He's very good at cold menace.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

I'm glad to see him get work again. I will be checking it out!

Paratroper

Paratroper

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

MUCH more suited to Meyers than Henry VIII was! This could be interesting.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

How many people from centuries ago would be running around Victorian London for him to get revenge against? Are we talking fellow vampires, or is he pursuing the great-great-great grandchildren of former enemies?

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

I want this to get filmed in Romania, the currency can get de-valued, the crew should steal all the equipment, and the director pulls up the drawbridge and hides out in the castle. Aren't there enough vampire shows?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

How many people from centuries ago would be running around Victorian London for him to get revenge against? Are we talking fellow vampires, or is he pursuing the great-great-great grandchildren of former enemies?

I assume it's the latter since vampires would have no need of "modern", or any other type of, medicine.

Hmmm, sounds somewhat interesting. I'm a little worried TPTB will focus too much on the romance and not on the other stuff that could make the show worth watching, but I plan on tuning in for at least a couple of episodes.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jul 25, 2012 @ 12:46 PM.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

Having watched The Tudors, I'll be checking this out. I'm accustomed to short seasons on cable but not on the regular networks. Is this going to be a new thing? Not that I mind. I find that I often don't have the stamina to last through 22 episode seasons anymore.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

I find that I often don't have the stamina to last through 22 episode seasons anymore.

And I'm one of those people who wishes seasons were longer than 22 eps. What can I say? I'm greedy.

Aren't there enough vampire shows?

I think vampire shows have just about become a genre, like cop shows and medical dramas. But I can like a new vampire show, especially if it's a bit different. For example, the vamp in this one doesn't seem to be seeking redemption for his evil past. Not that I mind redemption-seeking vampires, but different can be good.

Edited by Bitterswete, Jul 25, 2012 @ 11:43 PM.

quentin312002

quentin312002

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

I'm glad to hear that JRM is working and it does sound like a project that would suit him and his acting style. However I agree that there's one hell of a lot of vampire shows on tv now.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

Hey, as long as he doesn't sparkle I'm good.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 6:00 AM

I'll give it a go but this might be better as a cable series though.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 7:42 AM

The series picks up with Dracula arriving in London, posing as an American entrepreneur. Dracula's front? He pretends to want to bring modern science to the Victorian society, but his real intentions are revenge on the people who wronged him centuries ago. However, it's not all rage and death because Dracula falls in love with a woman who appears to be a reincarnation of his dead wife.

So its Dracula meets The Count of Montecristo?

Omnomnomicon

Omnomnomicon

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

I was checking out other news articles on the show, and found this:

BBC News:

Based on a script by Cole Haddon, it will be co-produced by Gareth Neame who was responsible for ITV1's hit period drama Downton Abbey.

That seems...vaguely promising.

ETA, also this:

Entertainment chairman at NBC, Bob Greenblatt, who was involved in casting Rhys Meyers as King Henry VIII in the historical drama, The Tudors, said the new series would bring a Tudors sensibility to a piece of classic literature.

So: Dracula meets Tudors meets Downton Abbey? Sigh, I'm so fucking in. Of course, this is one of those magic-seeming combos that they will inevitably screw up.

Edited by Omnomnomicon, Jul 26, 2012 @ 9:52 AM.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

I think the season may be 22 episodes but that they do an initial order of 10 to judge success before more money is thrown in on a full season.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 3:23 AM

I was already sold on this show, but they just sweetened the pot with this:

NBC's bold plan to return to a more refined, ruffled era with Dracula—which boldly removes vampires from the leather jackets and police procedurals to which we've grown accustomed, and boldly plans to tell the story more or less as written—is nevertheless one of several classic literature-to-TV adaptations in the works, not to mention the fact that it has vampires in it. Sexy vampires, doing sexy things to the public domain, on NBC. And yet, now it also has Carnivàle creator Daniel Knauf attached to run it, forcing anyone who enjoyed that show to probably give this a chance.

Loved Carnivale and Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Knauf is good news, IMO.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I like period pieces and I like the Dracula mythos, but I absolutely despise Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He was by far the worst thing about the Tudors. I think he's a very limited actor. As with Henry VIII, I've always thought of Dracula as very physically imposing, and well, JRM just isn't. He's short and scrawny. As a result, he often overcompensates in roles with his "acting". Let me guess, as Dracula he's going to be yelling a lot and he's going to make that "I have to go poopy" face many many times. Who knows though, I may check it out to see if it's any decent.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 7:54 AM

So Jonathan Rhys Meyers is going to make me watch my least favourite vampire story set in my least favourite timeline. Jon Groff could make me do it. JRM also probably. Sigh.

Edited by romantic idiot, Oct 29, 2012 @ 8:05 AM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

More casting news: Katie McGrath (Morgana from Merlin) and Nonso Anozie (Xaro Xhoan Daxos from Game of Thrones) have been casted as regulars. Combine that with the recent casting of Arrow's Jessica De Gouw as the female lead, and now I have to see this damn thing.

I can only hope Jonathan Rhys Meyers isn't as over-the-top and campy as he was on The Tudors. He's one of the main reasons I'm wary about this show.

Edited by thuganomics85, Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:22 PM.

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

I am looking forward to this. I am a sucker for a story where someone falls in love with a person who appears to be the reincarnation of a dead loved one.

Not thrilled it will be on NBC, they tend to be all over the map when it comes to scheduling episodes. They take terrible long breaks in the middle of the season. Sometimes they don't market right or give the show a chance.

I like the cast so far even Jonathen Rhys Meyers. I know some have doubts but the one good thing I thought he did on The Tudors was his obsession/infacuation with Anne. Since a good Vampire tale deals with those themes I think he might do a good job.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

I only hope that Katie McGrath is better in this then she was in Merlin.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 10:06 AM

Not thrilled it will be on NBC, they tend to be all over the map when it comes to scheduling episodes. They take terrible long breaks in the middle of the season. Sometimes they don't market right or give the show a chance.

I actually think shows have a better chance of making it if they're on NBC. NBC is rather forced to keep shows whose ratings would ensure cancellation on one of the other regular networks.

Willow2tree

Willow2tree

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 2:48 PM

I only hope that Katie McGrath is better in this then she was in Merlin.

I'll add to that: I hope Jessica De Gouw is a LOT better than she was on Arrow.

Omnomnomicon

Omnomnomicon

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

I like the cast so far even Jonathen Rhys Meyers. I know some have doubts but the one good thing I thought he did on The Tudors was his obsession/infacuation with Anne. Since a good Vampire tale deals with those themes I think he might do a good job.

I agree, and in later seasons he really piled on the understated kingly menace, like an older and more subtle version of Joffrey Baratheon.

Edited by Omnomnomicon, Apr 19, 2013 @ 2:53 PM.

am1994

am1994

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 8:26 PM

I'll add to that: I hope Jessica De Gouw is a LOT better than she was on Arrow.

WORD.

She was really just awful as The Huntress on Arrow, I think they hired her for her body only because her acting skills are horrible, imo. I was hoping they would kill off The Huntress on Arrow just so we would never have to see her again.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 1:01 PM

I like period pieces and I like the Dracula mythos, but I absolutely despise Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He was by far the worst thing about The Tudors. I think he's a very limited actor. As with Henry VIII, I've always thought of Dracula as very physically imposing, and well, JRM just isn't. He's short and scrawny. As a result, he often overcompensates in roles with his "acting". Let me guess, as Dracula he's going to be yelling a lot and he's going to make that "I have to go poopy" face many many times.

This - oh, this. A hundred, a thousand times THIS.

I find Jonathan Rhys Meyers unwatchable, and I predict NBC will have a pale, nocturnal turkey on its hands.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 4:50 PM

Looks like it will be airing Fridays, at 10 p.m., following Grimm.  That seems like a decent enough of a pairing.  Despite my meh reaction towards to Jonathan Rhys Meyers, the supporting the cast is good enough for me to probably watch it live since Blue Bloods has become a bore.

ETA: First Look at Johathan Rhys Meyers as The Count.

Edited by thuganomics85, May 12, 2013 @ 6:29 PM.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 6:58 PM

Checked out the First Look link...not sure what to say.

I will check it out since it's after Grimm and I'll probably not bother to change the channel, but...not sure what to say.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 7:55 PM

Hmm, I'll probably at least check this out (lurve me some vampires), but I checked out the first look above, & he doesn't look like he's bringing the sexy, so I don't know. I'm also not into Victorian period pieces, but I'll give this a chance. 

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

I like the time slot since expectations for ratings are not as high on a Friday night as the rest of the week. Glad it will be having a limited run and be finished in Spring. Many people like a shorter season not as many breaks.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 2:06 AM

Wow, between the cast (not a fan of Meyers' Tudors work), the bland First Look, and the annoying "let's make our Dracula hopelessly in luuuv with the reincarnation of his wife, cos vampires are sexy and romantic, and it worked for Coppola & Dan Curtis" angle, I couldn't be less enthusiastic about a new version of a character that I usually always enjoy.